Author Topic: The Definitive Guide to Wands  (Read 36279 times)

Bastian

• Bi-Curious George
Re: The Definitive Guide to Wands
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2011, 02:15:45 PM »
I'll add that. I was under the impression that they had an effective caster level.
Might also want to mention the magic of faerun gems you can add to wands to increase caster level or DC's.

Also the Channel Charge feat from Lost Empires of Faerun lets you burn one of your spell slots one level higher than the level of the spell in the charged item.  The spell is cast at no cost to the wand.  Better than Master Wand and Master Staff epic feats since there is far less pre-req and works for all charged items.

I'll check those out.
I don't have my books with me right now but if I remember correctly their effective caster level lets them qualify for feats (it's why they can get all the item creation and metamagic feats that require caster level).

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2011, 11:28:58 AM »
item .... Rod of Wands (or some shit like that) ... not sure where it's from (somewhere in eberron, I think)
Rod of Many Wands. Insert up to three wands into it, and you can take a full-round action (provoking AoOs) to activate all of them at once. And it's command word, not spell trigger, so even a fighter can use it. However, each wand is drained of a number of charges equal to the number of wands.
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2011, 12:27:15 PM »
item .... Rod of Wands (or some shit like that) ... not sure where it's from (somewhere in eberron, I think)
Rod of Many Wands. Insert up to three wands into it, and you can take a full-round action (provoking AoOs) to activate all of them at once. And it's command word, not spell trigger, so even a fighter can use it. However, each wand is drained of a number of charges equal to the number of wands.
Which rapidly becomes meaningless when they are Artificer'd to the hells and back wands, in terms of cost/benefit.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

Andion Isurand

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
  • An Anomaly of The Art
    • MageRune - Andion Isurand's Homebrew Blog
A 21 Wand Salute
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2011, 10:37:49 PM »
If you apply the Chain Spell metamamagic feat to the following spell, you could simultaneously trigger up to a maximum of 21 wands (when your caster level hits 20).  Your character could also get some material to bind all the wands together like a package of fireworks... leveled at your enemy.

You could also do this with Scepters as described in Lost Empires of Faerun.

////////////////////////////

Awaken from Afar
Evocation
Level: Sor/Wiz 5, Clr 6, Drd 6
Components: V
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Target: One spell trigger activation item
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

An awaken from afar spell allows you to use a spell trigger item without actually touching the item. The item to be activated must be within the range of the awaken from afar spell, and it functions as though you yourself were triggering it from its current position. All other conditions, such as the requirement that you have the spell on your spell list or if the item's enchantment restricts its use to a particular race or individual, still apply. Both you and the item to be activated have to be on the same plane. The item cannot be in the possession of another creature at the time of activation, and it must be an item that you have previously triggered normally (in other words, without the aid of an awaken from afar spell.

This spell is found at the following URL: Wyrms of the North: Arveiaturace, "The White Wyrm"

Or better yet, to perform the 21 Wand Salute, just carry a tube over your shoulder with a strap like a bazooka, with a bundle of wands secured inside and pointed towards the open end.  Then you can lift it over your shoulder and level it at your enemy as you cast...

...then add little Unseen Seer (Hunter's Eye) and Arcane Trickster action to get some precision damage using the appropriate wands if you can pull it off.

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
  • What's the matter? I thought you had me...
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2011, 10:48:57 PM »
Fourth post today that someone has made me think of playing Megatron...awesome :D
BG's Resident Black Hatter
The Mango List Reborn!
My Warmage Trickery (coming soon!)
My PrC Pally Trickery (coming soon!)
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

Widow

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2011, 12:58:52 AM »
Hmm, it makes me sad you could not use the spell chained with Rods of Wonder.  It would be like a bad acid trip that everyone gets to experience.

Bloody Initiate

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2011, 01:15:04 AM »
I'm really looking forward to this guide! Everyone talks about how broken UMD is and such and I'm completely unaware of the vast potential of the thing. I don't even know what the fuck a schema is! So wands are probably a good place for me to start, and the place I already started (I mention my beloved blastificer all the time on these boards, I'm sure people are sick of hearing about it), so maybe one at a time I can get my UMD skills up to snuff.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 01:16:58 AM by Bloody Initiate »
I don't employ memes. Mass-produced ammunition, even from reputable manufacturers, tends to malfunction on occasion.

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Thread Necromancy a Specialty
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2011, 01:44:05 AM »
I'm working on this, don't you worry.

I'm still thinking on how I should post those gems from Magic of Faerun...
[spoiler]Fighter: "I can kill a guy in one turn."
Cleric: "I can kill a guy in half a turn."
Wizard: "I can kill a guy before my turn."
Bard: "I can get three idiots to kill guys for me."

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.
probably over on "Off-topic".
might want to put a little disclaimer in the first post.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2011, 08:33:29 AM »
Next villain my party fights is using that Awaken from Afar spell...
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2011, 08:47:04 PM »
Almost forgot about that one.

Its going to go in the spells section, when I have the time.

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing

Widow

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2011, 03:41:37 AM »
Not at all powerful, but Eldritch Whorlwood from the Explorers Handbook is on page 151.  It lets you tell how many charges are let in a wand or staff by just looking at it.

Is it worth mentioning sanctum spell mixed with charged items to effectively lower the spell level by one?

jojolagger

• Hong Kong
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2011, 09:00:32 PM »
I'll add that. I was under the impression that they had an effective caster level.
I don't have my books with me right now but if I remember correctly their effective caster level lets them qualify for feats (it's why they can get all the item creation and metamagic feats that require caster level).
For Item Creation, Artificers Have an effective CL equal to his Artificer level +2. This Doesn't change the fact that Artificers also get normal CL because spells = infusions, except where noted.
Countdown to Zombie Apocalypse 97
When you see this, copy it into your sig and -1
:lovefirefox
Quotes [spoiler]
In other words, he thinks there's a "correct" way to play D&D.  *sigh*
There is: Kill shit and loot the corpse!
When you use a tool the way it was designed for -- its intended function -- then it will work very well for you.

But it's not the tool's fault if you use it for something else and you fail utterly, such as trying to eat cereal with a butterknife, pounding nails with a screwdriver, blogging to voice your political opinions, and brushing your teeth with a hammer.
[/spoiler]

nijineko

• King Kong
  • two strange quarks short of a graviton...
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2011, 01:54:44 AM »
thought that was scrolls only?
arukibito ga michi wo erabu no ka, michi ga arukibito wo erabu no deshou ka?
Never game alone again!
KadoKado! Game for gifts!
The Ultimate Dice Rolling Engine

Bigtuna

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2011, 02:33:56 PM »
Metamagic wand - something item from CM  let's you use extra charges to apply your metamagic feats on the wand.

There is a feat hidden somewhere in the end of City of stormreach that let's warforged sorc's use their spell slots instead of charges - raising the wand Cl to something like 1/3 af his own. Great way to expand their spellist.

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2011, 02:59:09 PM »
I like that second one. I will find it, and it will be added (when I have the time. I'll probably go through here and update everything momentarily).

Sounds fine to me.

[/spoiler]

Bigtuna

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2011, 09:42:34 AM »
"What this guide won't have: What spells to put on your wand, because seriously, there are already guides for that. There aren't guides that deal specifically with our friend the wand."

So anyone got links to those guides that tells me what to put into a wand?

bobtheapple

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2011, 02:47:15 PM »
Sadly, fairly certain that by RAW hideous blow and wand strike don't work together (each requires a standard action to do their effect), however if you GM allows it it can be pretty effective depending on what blast essence you use with it.

Spell Rehearsal (RoTD) works with really well with wands, as save DC can ramp up really fast with dual wand wielder and Prophecy Artifex wielding two wands of the same spell (First spell normal, cumulative +1 save DC and +2 to hit, and a flat +2 spell penetration on subsequent casts)

Residual Magic from CMage's lesser used tactical option, enduring potency, can be useful for a casual wand user.  If you cast a spell and then follow it up with a wand of the same spell, it counts as if you had cast the spell for caster level, save DC, and spell effects.

Arcane Schooling from PGtF lets you use spell trigger items as if you had a level in any one class, which is nice if you are using a class that doesn't have UMD (for whatever reason).  Any feat that adds skills to your skill list or Human Paragon would work too.

Channel Charge from LEoF is a really poor excuse for Master Wand, but at least it isn't an epic feat.  It might be useful for a full caster who wants to carry around a ton of 1 charge wands for pseudo-spontaneity, and doesn't have access to/doesn't want to use action point cheese.
Quote from: Solo
I have merely taken trolling to a new and sublime level by posting useful material instead of inane comments.

Shadowhunter

• Hong Kong
« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2011, 01:07:50 PM »
I've discovered a minor issue with the persisted unfettered heroism trick.
Turns out Metamagic Infusion only works with spell trigger items, not spell completion items.
Schemas are completion items, not trigger items.

So you'll have to rely on the 11th level artificer ability Metamagic Spell Completion.
You need to hit a UMD check of 51 for you to be able to persist UH.
If you're going this route, an Item Familiar is now almost mandatory.
[Spoiler]
Quote from: Runestar
the most effective optimization is the one you can actually get away with.  :smirk

Quote from: Vinom
(A group of nerds are called a murder because like crows we are anti-social, like shiny things, and often squack at each other over nothing for hours)

I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/quote]
[/spoiler]

Binder? You're Welcome

Zceryll makes Binders go from tier 3 to tier 2.
Cagemarrow is a Genius

Before giving the advice that build X would be better of with Fist of the Forest, take a long, good look at Primal Living. Twice.

TenaciousJ

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2011, 05:19:01 AM »
I've discovered a minor issue with the persisted unfettered heroism trick.
Turns out Metamagic Infusion only works with spell trigger items, not spell completion items.
Schemas are completion items, not trigger items.

So you'll have to rely on the 11th level artificer ability Metamagic Spell Completion.
You need to hit a UMD check of 51 for you to be able to persist UH.
If you're going this route, an Item Familiar is now almost mandatory.

Or just wands of Guidance of the Avatar (Divine Insight if online material isn't allowed) and Improvisation.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 05:22:01 AM by TenaciousJ »

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2011, 03:49:33 PM »
Also if you get a scepter or staff that contains unfettered heroism you can just keep a loop of unfettered heroism going.