Author Topic: The Definitive Guide to Wands  (Read 36276 times)

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Thread Necromancy a Specialty
The Definitive Guide to Wands
« on: January 01, 2011, 11:39:00 PM »
Hello everyone, this here is going to be a guide to wand use, tricks to do with wands, and the whole shiboodle of stuff like that.

What this guide will have: Information on how to work with wands themselves, and thus interesting ways to mess with these unquestionably awesome items.

What this guide won't have: What spells to put on your wand, because seriously, there are already guides for that. There aren't guides that deal specifically with our friend the wand.

*Note* This guide will not cover Eternal Wands, because most stuff that works with wands won't work with them. The awesome stuff, at least.

For the uninitiated, a wand is a Spell Trigger item that takes the same action as the spell it is based off to use, has a UMD DC of 20 to  use without having access to the list that the spell is from, and have 50 charges. They contain a spell of 1st to 4th level.

Now, onto the rest of the guide!
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 01:40:00 PM by Amechra »
[spoiler]Fighter: "I can kill a guy in one turn."
Cleric: "I can kill a guy in half a turn."
Wizard: "I can kill a guy before my turn."
Bard: "I can get three idiots to kill guys for me."

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.
probably over on "Off-topic".
might want to put a little disclaimer in the first post.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
Helpful Classes, Prestige Classes, and Where to Get your Wands
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2011, 11:39:45 PM »
*Note* This is not a list of classes that have good spell list to use wands out of; this is a list of classes that allow you to use wands without access to the list itself. Or at least, do it well.

CLASSES

Artificer: Yep, everyone's favorite crafting class is right here with the best of them, due to their Skill Mastery: UMD. They get it to late for me to suggest that though; what they get that makes them shine is a. the ability to craft wands without needing to now the spell that is going into it, and b. the Metamagic Spell Trigger infusion, which is borked to all hell. More on that later.

Binder binding Karsus: This is absolutely schmexy; the only reason you would go for the Magic domain is that that the Magic domain takes less levels. Basically, this is "use magic items like you're a wizard, and while you're at it, throw on a +2 to the DC. You deserve it, because your awesome." Combine this with the other nifty abilities of the binder (including our friend Astaroth from Cityscape, who gives you crafting goodness), makes Binder a solid choice.

Clerics, and other sources of the Magic domain: They get to act as if they were a Wizard of half their level for the purpose of using magic items; wands only require that you have their spell on your list (and that it was made by someone who shares your list), so one level dip into cleric can net you access to pretty much all non-Divine wands. Tasty.

Monk: I'm kidding, obviously. They don't bring anything to the table.

Warlock: Skill Mastery: UMD at 4th level, and at 12th they basically get what Artificers had all along, in that they get the ability to make wands off any spell list too. Lack infusions, though; however, they are capable of a bunch of combos that no-one else can perform, and are the best low-level wand users, leaving Rogues in the dust.

PRESTIGE CLASSES

Cannith Wand Adept: This PrC requires two feats you should have anyway (Craft Wand and Wand Mastery), Favored in House (Cannith) or a Minor Mark of Making, and Ranks in Spellcraft and UMD you should already have. Basically, due to the fact that it is a 0/3 spellcasting class, most casters won't take it; however, it gets an ability that gives it Class Level as a bonus to DCs and CLs for wands (So at third level, you have +3 CL and +3 DC.) You already have Wand Mastery, so you use wands at +5 CL and +5 DC. Throw some Reckless Wand User and Karsus binding on there (use Anima Mage), to get +7 CL and +7 DC! This isn't even starting with our good friend the Legacy Champion... This is a good PrC just for Wand Focus; it sucks otherwise. Eberron specific, from Sharn, City of Towers.

WHO TO GET YOUR WANDS FROM

The following progression shows the best classes to grab the spells on your wand from, in order from worst to best:
Archivist/Beguiler/Cleric/Dread Necromancer/Wizard/Wu Jen->Favored Soul/Sorcerer->Paladin/Ranger->Bard/Duskblade

Artificer, Spellthief, and Warmage are special cases.

Why such a progression? It shows the classes who have the spells at the highest CL; coincidentally, it also approximates how expensive a wand will be, in order from cheap to more expensive. Paladin and Ranger are where they are because their spells tend to be quite powerful for their level, do to the fact that they only get up to 4th level spells.

Special cases, and the reasons why:

Artificer: Artificers are the king of churning out cheap wands; they technically are in that whole range becuase their minimum level for wand crafting is whatever class -2; however, if they have equal level, they craft a wand of that level. In a nutshell, this means that Artificers are officially in all of the above categories.

Spellthief: Spellthieves are somewhere between the Wizard group and the Sorceror group normally; however, if the Spellthief has Master Spellthief, they easily become the best class to craft from, due to having high base CLs. Unfortunately, unless you're using some good old crafting tricks, they tend to be as expensive as all hell. Wands for connoisseurs.

Warmage: Warmages would be in the same boat as Beguilers and Dread Necromancers if not for one thing: they have the Eclectic Learning ACF. This ACF allows them to learn any wizard spell as a spell 1 level higher than the norm. This means that the base CL is 2 higher than everyone else's for 4 spells that the Warmage knows. Of course, the Warmage can always retrain what spells they learned through this... Warmage wands are great, but Master Spellthief wands still beat them out.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 02:13:41 PM by Amechra »

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
Items, Mundane and Otherwise
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2011, 11:40:38 PM »
Reserved

Sounds fine to me.

[/spoiler]

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
Spells, Infusions, and Feats
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2011, 11:41:15 PM »
SPELLS: Coming Soon!

INFUSIONS: Coming Soon!

FEATS:

Consecrate/Purify Spell Trigger: This is not a good pair of feats; you can get the exact same thing, only better, with Metamagic Spell Trigger.

Cull Wand Essence: Turns a charge into nice, smooth, rapidly scaling damage. 10d6 from a wand with a 4th level spell is rather nice, if you need the damage more than utility. By the way, the damage scales in the manner of n((n+1)/2)d6, where n is the spell level. Keep this in mind; there will be a quiz.

Double Wand Wielder: Needs Two Weapon Fighting (trivial), and Craft Wand (as if you wouldn't have this  :rollseyes). Basically, you can fire off two wands as a full-round action, with the one in your off hand using up two charges instead of 1. This is nice with the action economy, as this basically becomes "fire off two  <insert action here> buffs in a round", which pops up to 3 if you add in Prophecy's Artifex. Not the best we can do with wands, but more efficient than the next best option...

An equivalent, called Dual Dorjes, exists for Dorjes. It is exactly the same, except it requires Craft Dorje instead of Craft Wand.

Inspired Master A feat from Dragon 339, it adds +1 to the CL of any item you use. It has NO prereqs. This is very shmexy, very shmexy indeed.

Metamagic Spell Trigger: In exchange for extra charges, add metamagic to a wand. There is no daily limit on uses. Score! Requires at least 12th level and a metamagic feat, though. The infusion is still superior, but this is more accessible by, let's say, our friend the Warlock. There are some really funny tricks you can get up to with this...

Prophecy's Artifex: This feat is awesome; basically, while you are under the effects of Prophetic Favor, you can use Spell-Trigger items as Swift actions. Not bad; basically quicken for wands, and the prereqs don't suck, either.

Reckless Wand Wielder: This feat requires Craft Wand and some ranks in UMD, and it lets you increase the CL of the wand by 2 for the low, low cost of an extra charge! Very useful, when you have to squeeze out some extra juice; hell, it straight out doubles the effectiveness of a Wand of Magic Missile, for example.

Wand Mastery: This feat is AWEsome with a capital AWE; +2 to the DC and +2 CL? Sign me up! Unfortunately, it requires CL 9, so unless you cast spells yourself/are a Warlock/Artificer, this doesn't exist for you. Makes me respect Warlocks a lot as wand users, since they can easily get a +4 to CL and +2 to the DC; Artificers are still better, but to each their own. Schmexy.

The Dorje equivalent is cool but not as powerful; it is basically you getting either +4 pp into the dorje's power, or a +2 to DC. It doesn't even increase the manifester level. Still, useful for stuff like Astral Constructs.

Wandstrike: Can be taken at level one, when you grab your first 4 ranks of UMD. Basically, make a touch attack that deals 1d6 damage. You can trigger the wand while doing so; sadly, this explicitly doesn't stack with Sneak Attack or Sudden Strike, and doesn't scale, so unless your DM allows retraining, I wouldn't take it. Except maybe as a Warlock, since Hideous Blow would still add damage, iirc...
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 11:51:52 PM by Amechra »

Sounds fine to me.

[/spoiler]

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
Absolutely Filthy Tricks
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2011, 11:41:58 PM »
Reserved

Sounds fine to me.

[/spoiler]

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
Re: The Definitive Guide to Wands
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2011, 01:16:24 AM »
You can post if you want, by the way.

Sounds fine to me.

[/spoiler]

Psithief

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2011, 01:29:54 AM »
Please cover dorjes also.

Shadowhunter

• Hong Kong
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2011, 01:32:36 AM »
Under the Artificer, you must mention the Etch Minor Schema (Unfettered Heroism) + Metamagic Infusion + Persistent Spell + Wand Surge combo.
[Spoiler]
Quote from: Runestar
the most effective optimization is the one you can actually get away with.  :smirk

Quote from: Vinom
(A group of nerds are called a murder because like crows we are anti-social, like shiny things, and often squack at each other over nothing for hours)

I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/quote]
[/spoiler]

Binder? You're Welcome

Zceryll makes Binders go from tier 3 to tier 2.
Cagemarrow is a Genius

Before giving the advice that build X would be better of with Fist of the Forest, take a long, good look at Primal Living. Twice.

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2011, 01:40:41 AM »
Warlock gives you the ability to take 10 not skill focus. Also you should add binders to to magic devotion like section due to the vestige Karsus that lets you use magic items as a wizard and boosts the dc of magic items by 2.

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2011, 02:07:24 AM »
Duly noted, Havok; Skill Focus was a typo.

Shadowhunter, that's going under the Tricks section, along with 9th level wands (one of my tricks).

And Psithief's request for Dorje's brings me to a question: do Dorjes count as wands for the purpose of feats and etcetra? Because if so, I have some tricks based off of them.

Sounds fine to me.

[/spoiler]

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2011, 10:36:06 AM »
Don't forget the rules compendium changed wand activation time to match the spell it contains.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

rasmuswagner

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2011, 12:24:26 PM »
Cannith Wand Adept is in Sharn, City of Towers.

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2011, 01:39:25 PM »
I don't have Sharn. Basics, please?

And good catch on activation times. I meant to put that up there, but forgot.

Alright, found Cannith Wand Adept. Looks quite nice.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 01:48:52 PM by Amechra »

Sounds fine to me.

[/spoiler]

Esgath

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
Re: Spells, Infusions, and Feats
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2011, 06:25:45 AM »

Metamagic Spell Trigger: In exchange for extra charges, add metamagic to a wand. There is no daily limit on uses. Score! Requires at least 12th level and a metamagic feat, though. The infusion is still superior, but this is more accessible by, let's say, our friend the Warlock. There are some really funny tricks you can get up to with this...

Some examples would be nice for newbies like.... me! :)

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2011, 11:46:33 AM »
item .... Rod of Wands (or some shit like that) ... not sure where it's from (somewhere in eberron, I think)

[spoiler]
If you stop ignoring 289 pages telling what the intent is to stretch "more power" in your own god complexion of your interpretation trumps all to cover ability adjustments from aging then I will ignore a quarter page of rules that exist within a sidebar.
I think in this case the grammar is less important than whether the Str and Dex bonus provided to your created undead scales.

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt
More Savage Progressions[/spoiler]
Report any wrongs I have done here.

Widow

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2011, 02:59:08 AM »
Might also want to mention the magic of faerun gems you can add to wands to increase caster level or DC's.

Also the Channel Charge feat from Lost Empires of Faerun lets you burn one of your spell slots one level higher than the level of the spell in the charged item.  The spell is cast at no cost to the wand.  Better than Master Wand and Master Staff epic feats since there is far less pre-req and works for all charged items.

cru

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2011, 05:52:17 AM »

Bastian

• Bi-Curious George
Re: Spells, Infusions, and Feats
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2011, 09:33:22 PM »
Wand Mastery: This feat is AWEsome with a capital AWE; +2 to the DC and +2 CL? Sign me up! Unfortunately, it requires CL 9, so unless you cast spells yourself/are a Warlock, this doesn't exist for you. Makes me respect Warlocks a lot as wand users, since they can easily get a +4 to CL and +2 to the DC. Schmexy.
Artificers count as having CL since they use infusions so they can get it too.

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2011, 11:45:20 PM »
I'll add that. I was under the impression that they had an effective caster level.
Might also want to mention the magic of faerun gems you can add to wands to increase caster level or DC's.

Also the Channel Charge feat from Lost Empires of Faerun lets you burn one of your spell slots one level higher than the level of the spell in the charged item.  The spell is cast at no cost to the wand.  Better than Master Wand and Master Staff epic feats since there is far less pre-req and works for all charged items.

I'll check those out.

Sounds fine to me.

[/spoiler]

nijineko

• King Kong
  • two strange quarks short of a graviton...
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2011, 01:58:05 PM »
would the craft scepter feat be appropriate for inclusion here? functions like a wand but can have two spells in it, plus up to seventh level spells, iirc. common pool of charges. somewhere between a wand and a staff. lost empires.
arukibito ga michi wo erabu no ka, michi ga arukibito wo erabu no deshou ka?
Never game alone again!
KadoKado! Game for gifts!
The Ultimate Dice Rolling Engine