Author Topic: Spell - Major Creation at 20th CL - what size items can be made?  (Read 4484 times)

Cagemarrow

• Bi-Curious George
Spell - Major Creation at 20th CL - what size items can be made?
« on: December 30, 2010, 02:33:05 PM »
I'm soon to gain a summon that can cast Major Creation to make permanent vegetable matter items and I have a question about the amount of material that can be made. Per Minor creation you can create an object up to 1 cubic ft per caster level, caster level of the summon is 20. So does that make 20 1ft cubes of material or 1 20ft cube worth of material?

Naturally I would prefer the later interpretation but want to use whichever was actually intended for the spell.

Vistella

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
Re: Spell - Major Creation at 20th CL - what size items can be made?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2010, 02:45:27 PM »

Cagemarrow

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2010, 03:10:42 PM »
What is that in real world size though?

Would it be a cube 2.71441762 ft wide on each side then? That seems ridiculously small for something a 20th level caster to make. It's been so long since I've had any math classes that I don't really remember how to calculate this anymore.

Vistella

• Email
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2010, 03:21:09 PM »
2x2x5ft or 1x1x20ft
(cant find my calculator to get the cube sides^^ but the 2,7144 sounds right)

Cagemarrow

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2010, 04:45:07 PM »
Not as much as I had hoped it would be, but still respectable. My character will be able to generate materials every 30 seconds so while it will take him longer then I thought he should still be able to produce the vast majority of materials needed to construct a ship in a decent amount of time.

Well since that's answered how about suggestions for what to use at will Major Creation of permanent vegetable matter for?

My character plans to rehabilitate goblins captured, or who willingly surrendered, to our party during the Red Hand of Doom campaign. I've been working hard with the goblin leader Saarvith to convince him that his people have a raw deal being loyal to the Hobgoblins. They could do so much more if they got out from under that oppressive rule and tried to work on civilizing themselves more. I've pointed to the halflings and how well they do in society compared to the goblins and have repeatedly espoused to them that with my help they could do as well themselves. There have been jokes that my Binder is working his way into becoming the Goblin King from the movie Labryinth. He'll have to find a tailor to make a frightening cod piece if that's the case. :)

My plan is to take these followers, from the leadership feat, and use them as a crew to construct a ship and then eventually crew it to be used as our party's base of operations as we travel the world. Eventually I'll want to enchant it to be an airship, but currently don't have the resources for such. I'll also need a cool name for the ship and my crew of semi civilized goblins.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2010, 06:10:42 PM »
Your ship's hull is what?  Three inches thick or so?  That's a respectable area per casting.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Cagemarrow

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2010, 07:38:35 PM »
Honestly I don't know enough about ship construction to say. Based on the Hermione project, http://www.hermione.com/en/the-hermione-project/the-history/, the frame is going to have to be made up of timbers at least one foot in diameter, and the hull should be 4 - 6 inches thick.

I'll have to work out plans for interlocking smaller pieces and lacquered/glued construction since individual long pieces aren't going to be available. Perhaps layers alternating between soar wood and bronze wood could be used to make something stronger then either alone. At least each piece can be custom made to fit into the space needed each time. I hope there are some very nice plant based glues that can be used for this.

Maybe something better would be layers of glued fiber cloth instead, so its more like fiberglass than traditional wooden construction? Does anyone know how long a 2.7 ft Diameter roll of canvas would be?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2010, 08:00:06 PM by Cagemarrow »

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2010, 10:08:06 PM »
People are still shipping Hermione?

I'd have thought it would die down after JK Rowling word of godded that into the ground.
Planetouched Handbook

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2011, 12:38:30 AM »
People are still shipping Hermione?

I'd have thought it would die down after JK Rowling word of godded that into the ground.
Tis a good ship.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Cagemarrow

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2011, 09:20:28 AM »
Okay, so my DM has decided to restrict the Eberron materials so a lot of the good wood types are no longer available. Thankfully Bronze wood is also listed in the Arms & Equipment guide so I still have that. So what other plant based special materials are available for me to create? I really don't want to abuse the poisons as my character is not trained in Poison Use, and as a good leaning character wouldn't feel comfortable supplying to the black market to sell it.

Crafting Materials
Bronzewood (Arms & Equipment)
Darkwook (DMG)
Wildwood (Races of the Wild)

Normal Wood
Wicker
Canvas
Cotton
Hemp
Pine Resin
Rubber Tree sap
Sugar
Cinnamon
Vanilla
Soy Beans

Poisons
Sassone Leave Residue
Malyss root paste
Terinav root
Black Lotus Extract
Id Moss
Bloodroot

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2011, 12:36:05 PM »
Drow poison is plant-based (mentioned in drow of the underdark).  It's also one that good guys can feel comfortable using, since it just knocks people out.
Planetouched Handbook

Cagemarrow

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2011, 03:03:01 PM »
hmm, I can't find that in DotUD, do you have a page number?

bihlbo

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2011, 03:11:21 PM »
I'm assuming that bronzewood, since it can be used as a metal replacements for most applications, is roughly the same as the hardest wood (nearly as hard as iron), which means that for nearly anything on your ship you should be able to use bronzewood - including screws. I think that's pretty neat, and it's kinda got me wanting to try some of the same things you're doing.
Dulce et decorum est pro alea mori

Cagemarrow

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2011, 03:18:23 PM »
That's the plan, and strangely Darkwood weighs less than Soarwood according to the write up for it, 50% compared to 75%. So if it will work just as well for the airship construction it will be a very cool aesthetic. Black with bronze highlights. Of course that too kinda works against the good guy image I want to portray, being covered in tentacles from Zceryll doesn't help either, although I can hide them but where's the fun in that. :) My character just picked up a set of spiked Red Dragon Hide Full Plate +2 also. He looks scarier everyday now.

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2011, 11:41:51 PM »
Zceryll will do that. When I played a binder I planned to make my character's transformation look like this.
[spoiler][/spoiler]