Author Topic: Help Optimizing a Sorcerer!  (Read 5448 times)

Eviltedzies

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • Live life. Otherwise you have none.
    • Email
Re: Help Optimizing a Sorcerer!
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2010, 07:42:36 AM »
I know for a fact my DM will not allow cheese THAT stinky. Although I won't lie I would love it.  :clap

I have updated my ideas and included my feat build from 1-20 as well as my current spell choices. I tried to strike somewhat of a balance between offense/defense/utility. My tendency is to try to make the character as hard to kill as possible while still being able to pose a threat. On top of all that I try to make him flexible out of combat as well.

Edit: On another note I'm not sure if dread witch is really worth it. I have read the fear handbook but I'm not too keen on some of the options. If someone can give me another viewpoint or opinion on Dreadwitch I'd thank you.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2010, 07:48:20 AM by Eviltedzies »
Light in the Darkness.
Darkness in the Light.
It is truly a neverending cycle of nightmares.
Yet that is what we have been given.
Find your dreams where you may.
And live life like no other.

Senevri

• Donkey Kong
    • Art and Depression
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2010, 08:28:25 AM »
Well, Dread Witch is considered worth a level loss, it's key being it's ability to ignore fear immunity and thus terrify elementals, outsiders, undead....

You can also get a pretty much constant +3 CL.
Also, fearful empowerment can be used to hit everyone in the area of, oh, entangle, major image, hallucinatory terrain, plant growth... basically everyone in the battlefield. or the village in the last case. 

Remember, that fear from different sources, stacks.
There isn't much synergy with the Pumpkin King, admittedly.... although combine with Nightmare Spinner 3 + pumpkin king 2 + dread witch = everyone within long range takes nonlethal damage... :)

Vistella

• Email
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2010, 09:39:30 AM »
I know for a fact my DM will not allow cheese THAT stinky. Although I won't lie I would love it.  :clap
its not cheese, its RAW  :)

Benly

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2010, 10:31:26 AM »
its not cheese, its RAW  :)

Shockingly, the two are not mutually exclusive, and cheese is a rather subjective concept. Negative metamagic adjustments are sufficiently borderline that I wouldn't blame any DM for houseruling them out.

I mean I guess you could yell at your DM "But it's in the RULES AS WRITTEN!" over and over until he gets tired and throws a DMG at your neck, but I don't see that really turning out well.

Eviltedzies

• Email
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2010, 07:24:26 PM »
Well I was thinking of possibly using Fell Frighten but I'm not sure if it stacks with itself.
In addition the Pumpkin King's Pumpkin Bomb eventually forces those damaged by it to make a Will or be Frightened.

I was hoping for some advice on my spell list in general. As I said, I try to strike an even mix of offense/defense/utility.

A few examples
Lesser Celerity & Celerity: I've never had the experience of playing a Sorcerer with any of the Celerity spells. I have read that the final one isn't really worth it but just how useful are the less ones?

Nondetection: This one is just a personal preference of mine, but with a Sorcerer it doesn't get cast but maybe once a day. Main question here is is it worth it to just pay for a Nondetection item cast by a high caster level?

Gaseous Form: With the metamagic goodness I am being allowed. I thought an invisible spell gaseous form would be amusing. Pretty much free greater invis and fly in the same spell. Since I can still silent all my spells for free it also means I can cast while in Gaseous Form state.

Stoneskin: Considering the DM does not use material components for this spell.... it is WELL worht a spell slot. My main question is should I considering getting an item of x/day stoneskin or actually learning the spell?

Magic Jar: For a semi-necromancer flavored build this spell just seemed to pop out at me. Forget dominate person, your telling me I can get into my foes body, go do all sorts of terrible things, and then let them die and return safetly to my own body with all the guilt on them? Sounds like a peachy spell to me. Or are there better and more flexible spells at this level?

Shadow Evocation: I already have an infinite source of unholy damage thanks to Pumpkin King. Is shadow evocation really worth it considering it requires 2 saves and I am NOT making a shadowcrafter build with insane saves?

Dispel Magic Lesser/Greater: I here all the stories of how useful this is but honestly every time I've ever tried to dispel something it was usually cast by a stronger caster. As such my chances of dispelling most of the effect was fairly low. Is this worth taking as a spell or could I perhaps get it in item format?

Clone: Is it overkill to have a ready clone in the waiting as well as the pumpkin masters final ability which allows him to ressurect in one of his pumpkin patches?

« Last Edit: December 31, 2010, 07:45:00 PM by Eviltedzies »
Light in the Darkness.
Darkness in the Light.

ninjarabbit

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2010, 08:44:12 PM »
I would go with greater shadow evocation at your 8th spell level so you can cast wall of force, forcecage, and contengency.

Eviltedzies

• Email
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2010, 09:09:05 PM »
The one thing about the shadow spells I realized that slightly miffs me.

"Objects automatically succeed on their Will save against this spell."

The interpretation of this could vary depending on the DM. Point in case, how much is 20% of invulnerable (in the case of Wall of Force)? And if an item succeeds on its Will save does it still only take x percent of the effect or is it immune alltogether?
Light in the Darkness.
Darkness in the Light.

Vistella

• Email
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2010, 09:53:32 PM »
"Nondamaging effects have normal effects except against those who disbelieve them. Against disbelievers, they have no effect. "

pretty clear, no?
either you are blocked by the wall of force, or not

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2011, 09:04:40 PM »
The best part is when you go with shadowcraft mage shenanigans to make things WORSE for those who succeed on their saves.

Also, the best sorcerer is a psiceror. IE, psion.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

Eviltedzies

• Email
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2011, 11:45:21 PM »
If I wanted uber shadowcraft mage shinanigans I would have gone Gnome Illusionist 5/Shadowcraft Mage 5/Shadowcrafter 9/Shadow Adept 1. Now THAT is true shadow shinanigans.

As far as psionics my DM does not allow them for PC use.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 11:52:10 PM by Eviltedzies »
Light in the Darkness.
Darkness in the Light.