Author Topic: Anyone done a compilation of ToB corrections yet?  (Read 1973 times)

Runestar

• King Kong
Anyone done a compilation of ToB corrections yet?
« on: July 11, 2008, 08:02:07 AM »
I am still hoping against hope that wotc will release ToB errata, but who am I trying to kid? 4e is clearly their highest priority right now, and they likely won't bother with any 3e material anywhere in the near future.

Just for completeness, I am wondering if there is a collection of submitted entries detailing what parts of ToB are erroneous/problematic, as well as proposed solutions for them?

For instance, the warblade will find it difficult to acquire a 3rd lv stance unless he multiclasses in 2 other lvs before warblade4, spends a feat on martial stance or uses his 10th lv stance allotment to take a 3rd lv stance instead, none of which are particularly optimal. Thus, it makes sense to delay the stance he would normally get at 4th lv to 6th lv instead (in keeping with the trend of getting a new stance at even-levels like 10 and 16). Likewise, perhaps his 4th maneuver readied at 4th lv ought to be delayed to 5th lv as well, in keeping with the pattern of accruing a new readied slot every 5 warblade lvs.

Same for crusader, who can never get a 8th lv stance, and getting new stances at lv8 and 14 are just wonky. Perhaps delay them to 5, 9 and 15 instead, but could any provisions be made for devoted defender's 6th lv stances?

Swordsage also suffers a similar problem, where his stance at lv14 should be delayed to lv15 instead (otherwise, you have to wait until lv20 or waste another feat).

Some maneuvers also appear confusing. It is no small knowledge that iron heart surge is one of the top offenders, because its vague wording allows it to affect virtually anything, from AMFs to epic spells, even hunger/thirst. Yet, you can't remove the hold-person spell on you because you can't move. :eh

Divine surge seems a little too strong for its level, and its flavour suggests that it is supposed to have some sort of drawback which was not reflected for some reason. Wolf-fang strike sound incomplete (in that it does not seem to entirely address the benefits/penalties you get when you TWF). These are just a few which come to mind at the moment.

Others just plain weird. Elder mountain hammer not having any prereqs? Not necessarily a mistake, but still...

Or do you all want to chip in which your own erratum as well? :D
A clear conscience is the surest sign of a failing memory.

DaveTheMagicWeasel

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • If you optimize it, they will come
    • Email
Re: Anyone done a compilation of ToB corrections yet?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 04:23:23 PM »
There's the ToB CustServ thread on wotc (if it's working).

Changes to stnces is purely a houserule afaik.

Akalsaris

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2008, 07:32:57 AM »
It's also not clear if you need first level stances to take higher level ones - I know it's got to be in the book somewhere, but I don't know where.

The requirement for all Stone Hammer maneuvers to be initiated while touching the ground is buried inside a mountain of flavor text.

I've never been sure if Adaptive Style lets a swordsage recover and change her readied maneuvers, or only to change her currently available maneuvers.

For stances, you can possibly take one or more levels of a bloodline, which should advance your IL by one, though I've had GMs who ruled that it didn't.  Not that optimal, but then again I'm always irked at how paladins get Turn Undead at 4th level, and then have to wait until 6th for their first divine feats.

Runestar

• King Kong
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2008, 12:04:04 AM »
The requirement for all Stone Hammer maneuvers to be initiated while touching the ground is buried inside a mountain of flavor text.
It is actually covered in the opening entry for stone dragon, but is is really blink and miss.

I've never been sure if Adaptive Style lets a swordsage recover and change her readied maneuvers, or only to change her currently available maneuvers.

It doesn't so much let you recover them, IMO. You swap in a new array of maneuvers, which are then automatically granted to you. In a way, the effect is virtually identical to refreshing them, but would not be treated as refreshing maneuvers for related purposes, such as triggering vital recovery.
A clear conscience is the surest sign of a failing memory.