Author Topic: A quick-and-dirty ranger and paladin tier-up  (Read 1796 times)

Senevri

• Donkey Kong
    • Art and Depression
A quick-and-dirty ranger and paladin tier-up
« on: December 29, 2010, 06:31:05 AM »
I looked at how few spells they get and the levels they get them at...

Tweak: A paladin may also prepare a cleric spell of 1st or 2nd level in their 1st-level slot, a 3rd or 4th level on their 2nd level slot, a 5th or 6th level spell on their 3rd level slot and a 7th or 8th level spell on their 4th level slot.

A ranger may similarly prepare Druid spells.

Also, I'd give both CL equal to their class level.

Suggested usage: in games where the ranger/paladin players seem to start falling behind

SiggyDevil

• Hong Kong
  • Magmar, the ultimate butthead
    • Feybook Project
Re: A quick-and-dirty ranger and paladin tier-up
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2010, 07:17:46 PM »
I just gave Paladins Cleric casting at -3 levels, and Rangers similarly get Druid casting.

Sometimes Ps and Rs get spells at a lower spell level, in which case use the Cleric or Druid version instead.

Senevri

• Donkey Kong
    • Art and Depression
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2010, 08:10:10 PM »
I think Microlite advanced had Bards choosing between sor/wiz and druid at -5. Thus, they got spells at lv 6.

-3 casting makes quite a bit of sense. I liked doing it the OP way, since it still gives a 'nice' very limited amount of spells per day.

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 10:52:54 AM »
Would it hurt much if you simply gave them a bard's casting progression and full caster level?  You'd have to create a list of 0, 5th, and 6th level spells, but it doesn't seem too out of line to me.
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
Quote from: CryoSilver
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

Senevri

• Donkey Kong
    • Art and Depression
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 12:38:41 PM »
It's not as quick anymore, then.
Mechanically giving them 6th spells instead of 8th certainly wouldn't hurt. It's a bit unfair for the Bard, though, unless you give them a full  BAB, too.

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2011, 01:20:12 PM »
It's not as quick anymore, then.
It'd take ten minutes, tops.

It's a bit unfair for the Bard, though, unless you give them a full  BAB, too.
Yeah, the bard's a different story.  You could also make it up to the bard with more spells known, but that's a different topic.
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]