Author Topic: Build critique/level advice for game with interesting house rules  (Read 1898 times)

dna1

• Hong Kong
  • Im not albino Im just from Alaska
    • Email
Hello friends!

Game so far:
  Starting the game we return from a long mission into the underdark to find our hometown destroyed. After some digging around we find out while we were under ground that something happened on the surface. One day most magic items suddenly stopped working. Then casters and children started disappearing. A army of cyric or bane(details unclear) marched through our town and took all children age of 8, and casters. New items can be made but for some reason it takes more materials now.
So I will spare you most of the details but eventually we catch up to a small part of the army and help defend a little village.

We started at 5h level, and just leveled up to 6 at the end of the game. The DM really hates way over powered characters so the optimizers in the group(myself included) had to kind of take it easy.
Other PC's are
Human paladin - tank. Not actually present for first game so idk details. great optimizer though
Dwarf fighter - trident + net style. seems pretty weak so far. not really optimized
zeph soulknife? - pretty sure thats what he is. sneaky.. ranged. a good optimizer, seems decent enough for a soulknife
Whisper Gnome, Were-Murder of Crows, Factotum - this is my character.. il go into more detail below.

House Rules
[spoiler] 
1. No evil alignment
2. No book of 9 swords
3. Any class/race + 1 template from official wotc content is allowed   
4. 25pt buy, starting gold 9k, ecl 5
5. Wondrous items are going to be rare/expensive and hard to aquire.
6. Magical enhancements to equipment have a x2 modifier unless you craft it your self.
7. Most items will not be for sale. Anything with a caster level over 10 has to be self made or found.
8. Material enhancement is allowed, ie mithral, cold iron, feycraft etc
9. To encourage not dumping stats he has given addition skill points per level based off of how close togather your stats are.
 for my character how has stats 6 numbers apart I get 4 extra skill points per level.
10. You may take two flaws. Each flaw gives you 2 feats, or 1 stat point, but each flaw must be rolled randomly.
[/spoiler]

My PC
[spoiler]
K so first off we modified the lycan template. Basically I dropped all the crow HD, BaB, Skills, Saves. What I kept were the special abilities, and the bonus feats  :D

I just leveled up again, but this is my character as of now without adding the 6th level.

Whisper Gnome Were-Murder of Crows-2, Factotum-3 .
Str 10                                               hp:29
Dex 14 (18 when in hybrid)                   ac: 19(23 when in hybrid-size/nat etc)
con 14                                              spd:30/40 fly(ave)
int 16                                       
wis 10                                               F:4/R:6/W:2
chr 10                                             Inspiration Points: 9

BaB: 2
Atk's: Swarm- d6/ blinding&distraction
         Feycrafted Quickrazor - using grease/iajutsu focus

Feats(including flaws etc): Knowledge Devotion, Nymphs Kiss, EWP gnome quickrazor, darkstalker, font of inspiration x3

Special Abilities: *1/day silence/ghoust sound/mage hand/message
*Blinding(DC dex based), *Distraction(DC con based),
*swarm traits- half-damage from slashing and piercing, -immune to single target spells. cant be flanked/grappled etc
*DR 5/silver
Scent/LowLight Vision/Darkvision
Crow Empathy +4/communicate

Class Abilities:
cunning insight, cunning knowledge, trapfinding, arcane dilettante(grease), brains over brawn, cunning defense.

Equips:
*Wildshaping feycraft shadowsilk muffling - hide armor  :D
clock of resistence +1
feycraft quickrazor

My main skills are: hide/ms, diplomacy/bluff, iajutsu focus, knowledges, search/spot.
Although I do have like 1 rank in everything pretty much
[/spoiler]
So im not really sure where to go from here. Iv briefly looked over the factotum handbook and have decided chameleon would be nice so i can possibly craft my own items. But in this last game I ended up being the main damager/tanker pretty much. So im considering making more of a skillmonkey/battle factotum.  AND!! at the same time, we have no healer really.. and it looks like we will be having a hard time getting any magic items..
so im kind of tossing afew diff ideas around in my head here as you can see. Also please take a look at the side note below  :D

*interesting side note:*
[spoiler] My character for RP purposes is slightly insane. I have decided and gotten DM approval that once every 4 levels(this level!) a crow within the swarm gains its own intelligence, and personality. You may have seen me post afew threads on this before.
So this personality doesnt get any of my lycan stuff. just straight whisper gnome ecl 6. all equipment is the same, the physical stats must be the same. but i can move any mental stats around as i see fit.
Now to keep this balanced im making certain conditions for each personality to manifest.

So basically I get to make a new character!!  Depending on what my factotum goes is how I will make this one. Im really considering making some sort of ultimate buffer cleric using persist and what not.
can you persist spells at 6th level? unfortunately for me cleric happens to be a class I have never really dabbled in.
[/spoiler]

K so as you can is this is a lot to deal with here  :D
Im getting alittle flustered lol.. this is my first factotum and they have huge potential. and so my brain is starting to slap me.. i have to go play goldeneye on the wii now.
must pwn newbs online :P

all help is super appriciated.
Slappin ho's like E-Honda

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
Re: Build critique/level advice for game with interesting house rules
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2010, 03:48:02 AM »
Well, obviously the magic items things means Craft Wonderous Items would be a great feat to get.  Remember, Factotums can do that.  You definitely can't use poison (due to being Exalted), but pumping diplomacy might be quite nice (fanatic boosts your minions, after all).  And consider making good use of archery... with Knowledge Devotion, you should be good at that.

JaronK

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2010, 04:45:21 AM »
Remember, Factotums can do that.
As usual
[Spoiler]
An interesting read, nice to see a civil discussion
The point of Spell Resistance is to make it harder to get buffed.
And healed. Don't forget that.
Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.
[/Spoiler]

Old Geezer's Law of Hobby Taste: The more objectively inconsequential a hobby is, the more disagreements within the community will be expressed in outrageously insulting, overblown, and ludicrously emotionally laden terms.

More Funny than Humble[Spoiler]
Quote from: PlzBreakMyCampaign
Your a shifter... you have all you ever need.
It blows MoMF out of the water

But if your greedy for more [Wish] for something that only effects you, like another class level or two that doesn't count against your ECL.
Quote from: hungryhungryhippo987
Yes, I'm the 3.0 "Masters of the Wild" shifter, the awesome kind. My favorite form to take is Force Dragon. Yes, I am immortal ... My character is hands down the coolest guy in the campaign and there is nothing I could possibly want.
PBMC gets a cookie for DotA r

Bester

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2010, 06:20:03 AM »
Complete Scoundrel is your friend.

See if the dm is open to collector of stories skill trick affecting knowledge devotion.

Beg the dm for a rod of ropes....then you can actually be batman.  It is the best magic item in the game from a "most fun" point of view.

Ikeren

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2010, 02:18:12 PM »
2. No book of 9 swords

Every time someone calls it that I die a little inside. I know it's the subtitle...but it's just such a strange choice.

Back on topic:

Notice that magic is rare
Notice that high level magic has to be self crafted or found.

That basically means that
1) Your party needs at least one magic crafter
2) If you can sell magic, you can sell it at a substantial markup; there is no competition.

Break the stupid Wealth-by-level guidelines. Have all the goodies you want.

(I had a campaign where I was successfully selling "High powered" magic items for 4.5* the cost. Pearl of Power 2 for 18000gp, with only a 2000gp creation cost? Heck yes.)

Even if your DM increases the cost to create, you still have basically the single most powerful bargaining chips in the world, ones that everyone wants. (In this sort of campaign, gold eventually becomes 99% worthless; but powerful magic is always a good thing).
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 02:21:31 PM by Ikeren »

dna1

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2010, 09:47:01 PM »
yea banning book of 9 swords is dumb. but he doesnt like it so w/e.

so if i went ranged what weapon would you suggest? is there any combo of small ranged tactics that deal some good dmg?

So about crafting, apparently to create a magic item we must 'sacrifice' another. due to some sort of weird effect that is on the game world atm. so that being said, do you think that artificer would be better? IIRC the stuff they craft doesnt technically count as magical right?
I havent really made any crafters before because all the math involved. but which class would i get the most out of at levels 6-10? also what kind of tricks is there to reduce crafting time and what not at those levels. i do know of the little scribe mech or w/e, that was from eberron right?

Gods_Trick

• King Kong
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2010, 12:15:27 AM »

No artificiers craft magical equipment. Landlord feat is the first that comes to mind, but the Artificer Handbook here http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=5929.0 will be handy.

But, your GM is seriously allowing you DID with different character classes?! Dude, that is sweet! What controls the prompt for the other personalities?

dna1

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2010, 01:39:20 AM »
i have to make up the triggers my self. i was thinking for one it would be like seeing someone go unconcious? or maybe if someone says the word 'orc'
idk yet i have to flush that shit out along with the extra characters.
ideas for said triggers are welcome :D

Gods_Trick

• King Kong
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2010, 01:49:07 AM »

When it sees a shiny  :D Make that one a factotum with the Compel Gift spell.