Author Topic: What makes a "Good DM?"  (Read 9753 times)

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
Re: What makes a "Good DM?"
« Reply #60 on: January 06, 2011, 03:30:18 PM »
That could be a dangerous side-effect.

No, it's actually a reference to a Czech RPG, where an overly literal interpretation for the words they use for DM are "Mister Cavern".  I told my DM about this, and we've been calling him this since. :p
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
Quote from: CryoSilver
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
Quote from: CryoSilver
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

Aliment

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Illithid Zombies
Re: What makes a "Good DM?"
« Reply #61 on: January 06, 2011, 04:25:03 PM »
Fun is obvious, but to be more specific:

1. Fairness, players need to feel that they're getting a fair deal from penalties and what the enemy is throwing at them
2. Flexibility, when a player says something like: "I fire my acidic crossbow bolt at the bosses head as he rides away" you need to come up with something
3. Understand your parties capabilities, you also need to recognize that certain monsters are not CR'd properly
4. Look at stuff a player puts before you, if none of your players give a lick about the stuff outside of core, then don't use it
5. Be able to write a nice story that keeps the player's engaged
6. BE FAST, no one likes waiting
True Sign of Player Paranoia:
Player:"I look out of the keep"
DM:"There are no visible armies"
Player:"Aw crap theres an Invisible army!"