Author Topic: Is it really necessary to keep the Psicrystal Affinity feat?  (Read 2996 times)

Saeomon

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • A real rules lawyer
Is it really necessary to keep the Psicrystal Affinity feat?
« on: December 27, 2010, 09:53:23 PM »
It's standard operating procedure for a Psion to take Psicrystal Affinity at first level. According to the XPH and SRD, "This feat allows you to gain a psicrystal."

By RAW, and by my reading, it would seem that you don't have to keep the feat to keep the psicrystal. You only need it to first create/shape/bring into being a psicrystal.

So, in an optimized build, why keep the feat if you don't have to? I've never seen this addressed, so I'm bringing it up now. I'm fairly certain the reason the feat is kept is because there are no other feats (that I can think of) where you can divest yourself of the feat and keep the benefit.

That said, the one benefit of keeping the feat, again by RAW, would be that if you lose your psicrystal you can gain another immediately. The text never says that you can't gain another psicrystal, nor does it impose any time constraints on the regaining of a psicrystal. Heh...of course, unless I'm mistaken, the text doesn't say you can't have multiple psicrystals, either.

Anyway, can someone tell me if there's a reason given in the rules that makes it necessary to keep this feat?

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
Re: Is it really necessary to keep the Psicrystal Affinity feat?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2010, 10:23:50 PM »
Is this what these boards have come to?  Applying literal (mis)interpretations of words to feats in order to fundamentally change the way that well-known feats work?

Seriously, Psicrystals are badass enough without you trying to mess with things such that they're suddenly free.

Bester

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2010, 10:28:26 PM »
While we're at it, soulmelds don't go away as I understand them.

So retrain your feat to get another one.

My favorite prc, the chameleon, gets a bonus feat that is swapable.  Someone else suggested the soulmeld thing...(not my idea)

This is one of those spirit of the game issues imho.

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2010, 10:41:44 PM »
This is one of those spirit of the game issues imho.

You have to listen to the heart of the cards.

[spoiler]Hint: they say "no".[/spoiler]
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2010, 10:46:07 PM »
It's standard operating procedure for a Psion to take Psicrystal Affinity at first level. According to the XPH and SRD, "This feat allows you to gain a psicrystal."

By RAW, and by my reading, it would seem that you don't have to keep the feat to keep the psicrystal. You only need it to first create/shape/bring into being a psicrystal.

So, in an optimized build, why keep the feat if you don't have to? I've never seen this addressed, so I'm bringing it up now. I'm fairly certain the reason the feat is kept is because there are no other feats (that I can think of) where you can divest yourself of the feat and keep the benefit.

That said, the one benefit of keeping the feat, again by RAW, would be that if you lose your psicrystal you can gain another immediately. The text never says that you can't gain another psicrystal, nor does it impose any time constraints on the regaining of a psicrystal. Heh...of course, unless I'm mistaken, the text doesn't say you can't have multiple psicrystals, either.

Anyway, can someone tell me if there's a reason given in the rules that makes it necessary to keep this feat?

I think there is a rule going around that just because it doesn't explicitly says it doesn't, doesn't mean it does. Applying that to your argument torpedoes it.

Saeomon

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • A real rules lawyer
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2010, 10:48:32 PM »
Thanks for the responses. I was genuinely curious.

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2010, 02:54:29 AM »
Ask your GM.
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2010, 09:24:47 PM »
Even I don't reformat that stuff, and I love reformatting
[Spoiler]
An interesting read, nice to see a civil discussion
The point of Spell Resistance is to make it harder to get buffed.
And healed. Don't forget that.
Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.
[/Spoiler]

Old Geezer's Law of Hobby Taste: The more objectively inconsequential a hobby is, the more disagreements within the community will be expressed in outrageously insulting, overblown, and ludicrously emotionally laden terms.

More Funny than Humble[Spoiler]
Quote from: PlzBreakMyCampaign
Your a shifter... you have all you ever need.
It blows MoMF out of the water

But if your greedy for more [Wish] for something that only effects you, like another class level or two that doesn't count against your ECL.
Quote from: hungryhungryhippo987
Yes, I'm the 3.0 "Masters of the Wild" shifter, the awesome kind. My favorite form to take is Force Dragon. Yes, I am immortal ... My character is hands down the coolest guy in the campaign and there is nothing I could possibly want.
PBMC gets a cookie for DotA r