Author Topic: Everything gestalt (class)  (Read 15697 times)

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
Re: Everything gestalt (class)
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2010, 11:51:57 PM »
This looks intensely overly complicated.  I want to play it.
A man jumps out of the wall at you, and instantly severs both your arms with a holy psychic daitou which is also poisoned and on fire. As you try to run away, you trip. Then he clenches his fist and your heart explodes. Then he brings you back to life and does it again.
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

bkdubs123

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2010, 12:18:47 AM »
A man jumps out of the wall at you, and instantly severs both your arms with a holy psychic daitou which is also poisoned and on fire. As you try to run away, you trip. Then he clenches his fist and your heart explodes. Then he brings you back to life and does it again.

NOW WE'RE TALKIN.

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2010, 12:55:53 AM »

See?  I WANT TO DO THAT!
My babies - A thread of random builds I've come up with over the years.
Notes to self

SiggyDevil

• Hong Kong
  • Magmar, the ultimate butthead
    • Feybook Project
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2010, 07:15:10 PM »

MORTAL KOMBAAAAAAT

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Thread Necromancy a Specialty
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2010, 12:43:56 AM »
Needs moar Divine Mind.

Just because, really.
[spoiler]Fighter: "I can kill a guy in one turn."
Cleric: "I can kill a guy in half a turn."
Wizard: "I can kill a guy before my turn."
Bard: "I can get three idiots to kill guys for me."

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.
probably over on "Off-topic".
might want to put a little disclaimer in the first post.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2010, 01:22:05 AM »
Also the mountebank from dragon compendium.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Benly

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2010, 11:13:45 AM »
Soulborn too, I believe.

Pile on enough mediocre classes' features and something good is bound to happen!

lans

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2011, 05:32:17 AM »
I'm thinking Divine mind might be enough to push it to Tier 2, but I would need to look at its list a little more

Edit-It gets Temporal Acceleration, Fabricate, and maybe 1 other broken power.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 01:13:24 AM by lans »
Skill prodigy from Kingdoms of Kalamar

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2011, 11:35:01 AM »
Added Rokugan ninja. Adds Improved Uncanny Dodge, Int to initiative, and upgrades Sudden Strike to Sneak Attack.

Definitely T3 by this point. :p
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 11:43:17 AM by Prime32 »
My work
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

AleksanderTheGreat

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Dumbass. o_o
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2011, 03:26:10 PM »
How is this fair towards Rogues, Barbarians and other tier 4s?
Quote from: Sephirothsword117
Quote from: Solo
Optimizing is the antithesis of roleplaying because it takes focus away from the important parts of the game.
I'm inclined to disagree. People work hard on there characters, there personality, back ground, appearance, so forth. No one wants there character that they have invested time, energy, thought, and probably emotion in to be killed because they didn't take strong enough feats or skills or spells or what have you.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2011, 03:44:14 PM »
How is the existence of any tier 3 fair towards tier 4s? ???
My work

AleksanderTheGreat

• Dumbass. o_o
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2011, 05:23:56 PM »
That is a failure of the games designers, they didn't new what they where doing.
You know better, right? Don't make the same mistakes that you're complaining about.
Optimizing is the antithesis of roleplaying because it takes focus away from the important parts of the game.
I'm inclined to disagree. People work hard on there characters, there personality, back ground, appearance, so forth. No one wants there character that they have invested time, energy, thought, and probably emotion in to be killed because they didn't take strong enough feats or skills or spells or what have you.

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2011, 05:35:37 PM »
That is a failure of the games designers, they didn't new what they where doing.
You know better, right? Don't make the same mistakes that you're complaining about.
So do you propose that every homebrew thought experiment be tailored to the lowest common denominator?
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

AleksanderTheGreat

• Dumbass. o_o
« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2011, 05:44:21 PM »
So do you propose that every homebrew thought experiment be tailored to the lowest common denominator?
No, I'm asking what will you do about other lower tier classes. Mixing tier 5s and 6s into a tier 3 is nice and stuff, but if you do it then do something with tier 4s too.
All classes should be AT LEAST tier 3 to be playable. Otherwise it's not fair and defeats the purpose of this experiment.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 05:48:35 PM by AleksanderTheGreat »

Garryl

• Hong Kong
« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2011, 06:07:28 PM »
No, I'm asking what will you do about other lower tier classes. Mixing tier 5s and 6s into a tier 3 is nice and stuff, but if you do it then do something with tier 4s too.
All classes should be AT LEAST tier 3 to be playable. Otherwise it's not fair and defeats the purpose of this experiment.

So, what then? Are you suggesting that every homebrew class should also include a rewrite of the T4 and lower classes? Or are you just suggesting a similar "everything gestalt" of the T4 classes to go alongside this one (containing the T5 and T6 classes)?
A Guide to Free D&D - A resource of free, official D&D resources on the web.
General listing of my homebrew.
Links to things I've worked on
[spoiler]
Idiot Crusader, refreshing maneuvers for free every round.
The Opposed Checks Handbook - Under construction.
Adaptations Handbook - Under construction.
[/spoiler]

AleksanderTheGreat

• Dumbass. o_o
« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2011, 06:42:56 PM »

So, what then? Are you suggesting that every homebrew class should also include a rewrite of the T4 and lower classes? Or are you just suggesting a similar "everything gestalt" of the T4 classes to go alongside this one (containing the T5 and T6 classes)?
The second. But I'm afraid that it isn't gonna work because then the classes would be too similar. :/

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2011, 01:27:20 PM »
The second. But I'm afraid that it isn't gonna work because then the classes would be too similar. :/

Not necessarily. There are fewer classes to mash together, but it would be different. It would rage, get favored enemy bonuses, and sneak attack/skirmish, some all-day warlock abilities, etc. If you throw in some limited ability to cast spells while in a rage (maybe patch up Rage Mage a bit and toss it in there at later levels), it would be a fairly interesting class. Maybe not entirely effective, but since it has Ranger in there you could qualify for Sword of the Arcane Order as well as this thread's class can, and you'd already be getting ranger, hexblade, and warmage spells. Not a terrible mashup, unless there's no ability to cast while raging.

plaguewraith

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #38 on: May 08, 2011, 12:27:53 PM »
I may be playtesting this on GitP soon, i'll keep you informed on how it goes.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2011, 03:17:22 AM »
I may be playtesting this on GitP soon, i'll keep you informed on how it goes.
Well, link us to the thread once it's up.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.