Author Topic: What are the best tricks of a character who doesn't use magic?  (Read 8650 times)

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
What are the best tricks of a character who doesn't use magic?
« on: December 24, 2010, 11:57:10 PM »
Intro
With all this talk of magic and mundanes, let's discuss what mundanes can actually do when pushed to their limit at ECL 20.

Let's assume no magic is involved.  This means no wishes (from genies, Pazuzu, or otherwise), no magic items created nor used (not even with Use Magic Device/Use Psionic Device), no vestiges bound, and so on.  Let's use WotC-only material (but no "Dragon" Magazine) and determine what purely Extraordinary abilities can do.

All races and templates are available, assuming they only use Extraordinary abilities.  I'll forgive a quasi-magical origin, meaning Dragonborn, Outsiders, Illithids, Warforged, and so on are OK, but only if they only use Extraordinary abilities.

Forseen Tricks
Combat Medic: Devoted Spirit maneuvers and stances can heal yourself and your allies as (Ex) abilities.

Diplomancer.  Makes everyone who understands him his friend.

Know-It-All: Can tell you anything worth knowing and plenty that isn't.

Shadow Warper: Shadow Jaunt, Shadow Stride, and Shadow Blink let you teleport as (Ex) abilities.  To my knowledge, they are the only Extraordinary teleports.

Super Saver: The Diamond Mind maneuvers Action Before Thought, Moment of Perfect Mind, and Mind Over Body let you use a Concentration check instead of your normal save with a natural 1 being a possible success.  Diamond Defense adds your initiator level to all saves.  The hard part is keeping all these readied for when you need them.

The Ninja: Very sneaky.  May also be very perceptive.  Does not necessarily have the Ninja or Swordsage classes.

Uberdamager: Hood, sneak attack expert, and so on.  Deals lots of damage, the vast majority of it physical.

Zookeeper: Uses Handle Animal or Wild Empathy to make animals his friends.  (Alternatively, may use other mundane means of getting lots of minions, hirelings, henchmen, and so on.)  May keep lots of pets.  May act as a Diplomancer.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2010, 03:01:37 AM by Endarire »
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

ninjarabbit

• Hong Kong
    • Email
Re: What are the best tricks of a character who doesn't use magic?
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2010, 12:07:11 AM »
Maxed out intimidate + intimidating rage + instantaneous rage + never outnumbered skill trick = poor man's celerity

Ikeren

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2010, 01:06:23 AM »
Tome of Battle has lots of goodies in it. Just, lesser goodies.

Eldariel

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2010, 03:15:33 AM »
Well, blot out the sun with arrows. Alone. An Eternal Blade Archer chassis can launch over 40 arrows in one round. And one that's hard to codify fluff-wise due to the abstract nature of turns and actions, but Eternal Blade's capstone "Island in Time" is definitely up there: Taking a full-round action as an immediate action, Ex-ability.

Hulking Hurler can throw moon-sized objects which definitely counts for something. Many notable strength-increases such as Warhulk, various varieties of Rage and such are Ex so you can get quite high Str just with Ex-abilities. You do miss out on size increases but that doesn't stop you from getting "impressive" amounts of stuff to throw. Also, all the damage you can deal can be converted into many impressive feats like destroying the planet, splitting mountains and stuff like that. Provided we can template or such things up; I have a hard time seeing us going into millions a round without using magical multipliers increasing our size, strength, throw capacity and such.

Supermount is definitely up there; a non-magical character can have a very, very impressive companion/mount-thingy (Dragon without Su-abilities is still a Dragon and something like Ashworm or such is unquestionably acceptable and quite efficient).

There are non-magical HiPS forms so it's fully possible for an e.g. Ranger to stand right in front of you and be unnoticed. They have certain limitations but provided those limitations are fulfilled, we're left with a rather impressive ability overall.

If we have Diplomance and Know-It-All in there, adding Bluffmaster, Jumplomancer and other such variations that Exemplar-Diplomance, or use another, skill extensively well to the list makes sense.

Talore

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Viking Skald
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2010, 03:49:06 AM »
I'd add Factotum to the list of tricks. It's just that awesome. (Even if they do get a bit of optional spellcasting)
Backseat moderator (voice) -_-

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2010, 08:08:41 AM »
Well, blot out the sun with arrows. Alone. An Eternal Blade Archer chassis can launch over 40 arrows in one round. And one that's hard to codify fluff-wise due to the abstract nature of turns and actions, but Eternal Blade's capstone "Island in Time" is definitely up there: Taking a full-round action as an immediate action, Ex-ability.
A 10th-level bloodstorm blade may make an attack against "as many targets as he wishes". Attack each square millimeter of ground out to his maximum range. With a +1 explosive weapon if possible.
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Eldariel

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2010, 10:16:41 AM »
A 10th-level bloodstorm blade may make an attack against "as many targets as he wishes". Attack each square millimeter of ground out to his maximum range. With a +1 explosive weapon if possible.

I think Explosive Weapon is beyond the scope of this compendium but BSB definitely warrants a mention; surely there are non-magical ways to make it do something.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2010, 10:18:38 AM »
Does using cheese to pick up an epic feat count? There's the Distant Shot trick...
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Amadi

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2010, 10:21:25 AM »
At lower levels, poisons. Poisons are great. For reference, Arsenic and Old Lace handbook is around here somewhere.

This also depends on your DM. Cold environments can suck without a guide with survival if he's strict about it, giving yet another role for non-casters. Same with climb, etc. It's not about a single place to climb in a day. It's about putting a lot of them there, so that castes either exhaust their magic on fly-spells or let someone with actual ranks in a skill do it. Dropping people in water also works, although it screws up the full-plate-warrior even more than the wizard. The point still stands, a lot of skills aren't as needed in campaigns as they could be.

Also, Iaijutsu Focus allows people to hit for surprisingly much damage.

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2010, 11:18:29 AM »
A level 20 wizard.

...Spellcasting is Ex...
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2010, 11:25:35 AM »

I think Explosive Weapon is beyond the scope of this compendium but BSB definitely warrants a mention; surely there are non-magical ways to make it do something.

Anthropomorphic Baleen Whale Harpoon Thrower (can you make him unstoppable?)
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2010, 12:11:16 PM »
At lower levels, poisons. Poisons are great. For reference, Arsenic and Old Lace handbook is around here somewhere.

This also depends on your DM. Cold environments can suck without a guide with survival if he's strict about it, giving yet another role for non-casters. Same with climb, etc. It's not about a single place to climb in a day. It's about putting a lot of them there, so that castes either exhaust their magic on fly-spells or let someone with actual ranks in a skill do it. Dropping people in water also works, although it screws up the full-plate-warrior even more than the wizard. The point still stands, a lot of skills aren't as needed in campaigns as they could be.

Also, Iaijutsu Focus allows people to hit for surprisingly much damage.

And then you look and realize most of the Survival DCs are 10 or 15, and the ones that are not are 20. So minimal ranks + Wis + take 10 covers the hardest ones. For the others, no actual ranks are needed.
Smiting Imbeciles since 1985.

If you hear this music, run.

And don't forget:

There is no greater contribution than Hi Welcome.

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

Friends don't let friends be Short Bus Hobos.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

Here's a fun fact: You aren't. By a few leagues.
[/spoiler]

Amadi

• Email
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2010, 03:46:49 PM »
And then you look and realize most of the Survival DCs are 10 or 15, and the ones that are not are 20. So minimal ranks + Wis + take 10 covers the hardest ones. For the others, no actual ranks are needed.

White-out in glacier is DC 30 or get lost. Recognizing the threat of a lightning pillar is DC 25. There might be others.

ninjarabbit

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2010, 04:05:45 PM »
How often does a white-out in a glacier come up?

Realistically 5 ranks in survival + masterwork item + synergy bonuses from other skills should be enough for 98% of the survival checks you make so even a character cross-classing survival should be okay....like a wizard or cloistered cleric with skill points to spare.

Truth is many skills don't need to be maxed out, you really only need only 1 rank to make the check or 5 ranks for synergy bonuses, a masterwork item, and a decent stat modifer. For example a character with 1 rank in open lock with a masterwork item and 14 dex will be able to pick an average lock (DC 25) on a take 20.

Amadi

• Email
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2010, 05:29:23 PM »
It's up to the DM, but I'm pretty sure that different planar areas would have a lot of scary natural hazards, too.

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2010, 05:48:47 PM »

Every time those fraking Ice Climbers get the smash ball...
---
"The late, sedate, and no to great." ~Surreal

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.
Archived version of the above with working links

The Mango Index - a giant index for all things D&D and where to find them
The Mango List Reborn! - rehosted by KellKheraptis

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities
Alternative Class Features
alternative ways to get class skills

nijineko

• King Kong
  • two strange quarks short of a graviton...
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2010, 06:13:44 PM »
A level 20 wizard.

...Spellcasting is Ex...

yet to be proven, iirc. i believe it was completely "untyped" (to borrow a word), the last i was reading those arguments.
arukibito ga michi wo erabu no ka, michi ga arukibito wo erabu no deshou ka?
Never game alone again!
KadoKado! Game for gifts!
The Ultimate Dice Rolling Engine

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2010, 08:21:12 PM »

Every time those fraking Ice Climbers get the smash ball...

Better them than Sonic, IMO.

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2010, 09:56:05 PM »
I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and say spellcasting is (Ex).  All spells you cast are NOT (Ex), at least for our purposes.
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Thread Necromancy a Specialty
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2010, 02:56:57 AM »
I remember making an almost pure Fighter build, using ACFs and pair of Keen Elven Courtblades to get 7 attacks that were all criticals. All of them. With no chance of failure, except for those pesky crit-immunes...

There's always Knowledge Affiliation; or, for the uninitiated, the-ability-that-makes-the-monsters-cry. 1/day bypass any one ability a creature has. Including immunity, so you can scare the paladin so hard he craps his pants...

Darkstalker+High Hide/MS Mod=Non-magical invisibility. That is all.
[spoiler]Fighter: "I can kill a guy in one turn."
Cleric: "I can kill a guy in half a turn."
Wizard: "I can kill a guy before my turn."
Bard: "I can get three idiots to kill guys for me."

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.
probably over on "Off-topic".
might want to put a little disclaimer in the first post.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing