Author Topic: Fun with Dragonfire Strike  (Read 4798 times)

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Thread Necromancy a Specialty
Fun with Dragonfire Strike
« on: December 23, 2010, 03:51:23 PM »
This feat is gold. Seriously, open your copy of Dragon Magic and take a look.

Yes, it only requires 1d6 SA/SS and the Dragonblood Subtype. Yes, it gives you +1d6 damage on your SA/SS, makes it into a supernatural ability, and changes the damage to a given energy type.

Now, what makes this awesome is stuff like playing a Dragonwrought Kobold Rogue. Why?

1. There are dragons that deal force damage with their breath. Stabbing incorporeal beings, anyone?
2. There are dragons that deal negative levels. Have allies take Tomb-Tainted Soul. Act as a minor source of healing.
3. Ask your DM if stuff like Pyroclastic Dragon (Breath Weapon does two different energy types) would allow you to apply the feat twice. If your DM allows it, have fun.

Then of course, there is stuff like Empower Supernatural AbilitySneak Attack, and a couple other fun things.

Say, is there a way to turn a Supernatural Ability into a Spell-Like ability? Mortalbane Maximized Empowered Vilified Sneak Attacks would be loverly.

Base SA: 10d6 (let's leave it here for the moment, OK?)
After all that (theoretical) crap: 100.75 Damage, half of that Vile.

So, in other words, I hope there's a way to make Supernatural abilities into Spell-Like abilities.
[spoiler]Fighter: "I can kill a guy in one turn."
Cleric: "I can kill a guy in half a turn."
Wizard: "I can kill a guy before my turn."
Bard: "I can get three idiots to kill guys for me."

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.
probably over on "Off-topic".
might want to put a little disclaimer in the first post.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing

weenog

• Grape ape
Re: Fun with Dragonfire Strike
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2010, 04:12:40 PM »
Fail.

Quote from: Dragonfire Strike
Special: If you have the Draconic Heritage feat or if you are a half-dragon, the extra damage is of the energy type (acid, cold, electricity, fire, or sonic) that corresponds to your heritage or your draconic parent instead. If your feat or your parent is not associated, with one of these energy types, this fear has no effect on you.

Try actually reading stuff before you run with it.
"We managed to make an NPC puke an undead monster."
"That sounds like a victory to me."

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2010, 04:13:40 PM »
DANG IT, WHY DID I MISS THAT!?

I am sad now.

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing

Unbeliever

• King Kong
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2010, 04:14:13 PM »
Dammit, ninja'd

I have sometimes let people use the feat to do damage against creatures that are normally immune to sneak attack, which gives it some utility.

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2010, 04:18:41 PM »
Forgive me if this seems sarcastic, but I'm actually serious here: You have an index of stuff summaries that is about as brief and accurate as the spell summaries on PHB pages 181-196, and you just spend time thumbing through that without going on to check the full text of the stuff in question, don't you?
"We managed to make an NPC puke an undead monster."
"That sounds like a victory to me."

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2010, 06:23:49 PM »
Forgive me if this seems sarcastic, but I'm actually serious here: You have an index of stuff summaries that is about as brief and accurate as the spell summaries on PHB pages 181-196, and you just spend time thumbing through that without going on to check the full text of the stuff in question, don't you?
+1
Tiers explained in 8 sentences. With examples!
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
6: Skill based. Commoner, Expert, Samurai.
5: Mundane warrior. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk.
4: Partial casters. Adapt, Hexblade, Paladin, Ranger, Spelltheif.
3: Focused casters. Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Martial Adapts, Warmage.
2: Full casters. Favored Soul, Psion, Sorcerer, Wu Jen.
1: Elitists. Artificer, Cleric, Druid, Wizard.
0: Gods. StP Erudite, Illthid Savant, Pun-Pun, Rocks fall & you die.
[/spoiler]

Gnomeo

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2010, 07:54:58 PM »
Dammit, ninja'd

I have sometimes let people use the feat to do damage against creatures that are normally immune to sneak attack, which gives it some utility.

The feat description starts with "When you gain extra damage from a sneak attack..."  Doesn't that mean you can't use it on a creature that is immune to sneak attacks, since you need the attack to qualify as a sneak attack before you use the feat?
The next thing I say to you will be true.
The last thing I said was false.

Unbeliever

• King Kong
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2010, 08:14:30 PM »
Dammit, ninja'd

The feat description starts with "When you gain extra damage from a sneak attack..."  Doesn't that mean you can't use it on a creature that is immune to sneak attacks, since you need the attack to qualify as a sneak attack before you use the feat?
That would certainly be a reasonable read of it.  In the campaign I allowed it to count it was kind of a backend way of helping rogues out.  Since I've pretty much allowed sneak attacks and crits against virtually anything.  There are just a few exceptions now. 

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2010, 11:36:59 PM »

I am actually AFB at the moment, and was working off of memory. Also, I sometimes have moments of wishful thinking...

Still works if you have a party of Lesser Mechanatrixes, or you end up playing a Frostfell campaign with the fire version, and so on...

Plus, it's a Su ability. Which means you have a 50% chance of SAing incorporeal. There is a rogue class feature that let's you SA things at half the damage if they normally couldn't be SA'd. Combo these, please.

Also, since it's a Supernatural ability, you could always go ahead and go for Warmind, and then Widen Supernatural Ability your attack...

Sounds fine to me.

[/spoiler]

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2010, 12:27:53 AM »
Dragonfire Strike (and the correspnding PrC) is decent for Skirmish builds.

Ranger 2/Scout 4/Ranger+3/Hand of the Winged Master 9/Highland Stalker 2 has a good Skirmish progression throughout the game at level 6+, topping at +10d6+10 sonic skirmish damage, can skirmish undead and constucts (the most common crit-immune and the most annoying crit-immune).
11 BAB at level 13, but don't get 16 BAB until 20. Still, it's a non-caster build that stays playable without being a charger.

Feats:
1 Dragontouched
Human Draconic Heritage(Battle/Song)
Flaw(Noncombatant) Point Blank Shot
B Track
B Rapid Shot
3 Precise Shot (1d6 skirmish)
6 Swift Hunter (2d6 skirmish)
B Improved Skirmish (4d6 skirmish for 20 ft)
B Endurance
B Manyshot (Champion of the Wild)
9 Greater Manyshot (5d6 skirmish)
B Draconic Senses
(11 6d6 Skirmish)
12 Open (Recommend Steadfast Determination or Improved Precise Shot)
B Dragonfire Strike  (7d6 Skirmish)
(14 8d6 Skirmish)
15 Open
(17 9d6 Skirmish)
18 Open (9d6+9 Skirmish)
(20 10d6+10 Skirmish)
« Last Edit: December 24, 2010, 12:30:00 AM by skydragonknight »
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.