Author Topic: Campaignment of Scarlet Devil  (Read 7076 times)

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
Campaignment of Scarlet Devil
« on: December 22, 2010, 08:21:01 PM »
So, I had an idea. I've said before I suck at DMing, but a format like this one should avoid most of the problems.

Basically, take Touhou 6: Embodiment of Scarlet Devil and turn it into a freeform RP. The plot will be expanded a little beyond the dialogue in the game, but still following the same general direction. I'm looking for 2 players to play Marisa and Reimu.

There are a few things to sort out before I can do this, mainly related to combat. Namely, does it consist entirely of sprays of non-lethal bullets, or can it involve things like swordplay? (like the fighting games) I'd prefer the latter, but that raises the question of how slashing someone at the speed of light is "non-lethal". And how do spell cards work outside formal duels?
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 10:50:43 PM by Prime32 »
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
Re: Campaignment of Scarlet Devil
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, 08:25:57 PM »
You know me. Dibs on one spot. Dunno which one yet, though. :p
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

oslecamo

• Grape ape
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 10:28:54 PM »
Dibs on Marisa! Love shall prevail!

There are a few things to sort out before I can do this, mainly related to combat. Namely, does it consist entirely of sprays of non-lethal bullets, or can it involve things like swordplay? (like the fighting games) I'd prefer the latter, but that raises the question of how slashing someone at the speed of light is "non-lethal".
Touhou characters, like D&D characters, are just that tough.

Also if I can make my broom count as a masterwork quarterstaff count me in for melee combat. Altough Marisa does prefer blasting from far away.

Can we grab some extra wargear?
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

And how do spell cards work outside formal duels?

Just like they work inside the duels duh! I'm not even sure there's such things as "formal duels". Ambushing oponents (Mountain of Faith), ganking (Perfect Cherry Blossom), hit and run (pretty much every title), is all fair game.

Notice how in Silent Sinner in Blue Marisa's Master Spark goes all the way from the Moon to the Earth.

Senevri

• Donkey Kong
    • Art and Depression
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2010, 10:36:45 PM »
Well, there's the whole 'kill Reimu and world goes poof' possibility, so... :D

I can't say I haven't thought of running a game based on EoSD myself. Do report on how it goes.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2010, 10:51:55 PM »

Also if I can make my broom count as a masterwork quarterstaff count me in for melee combat. Altough Marisa does prefer blasting from far away.
Ah, I meant to clarify that this would be freeform.

Sorry, I was talking about it with Agita before and I think I forgot to mention it... :blush
My work
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

oslecamo

• Grape ape
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2010, 10:57:03 PM »

Ah, I meant to clarify that this would be freeform.

I figured as much. What I meant it's whetever I can assume a broom (wooden stick) won't instantly break when faced with Meiling Kung-Fu's skillz, or a vampire's superior strenght, or Sakuya's flurries of knives. Altough it would certainly give an edge against "I don't have enough breath to recite my spells" Patchoulli.

On the other hand, I guess that Marisa would reinforce her broom to be able to whitstand that kind of things, so kinda of moot point.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2010, 11:06:40 PM »
There are a few things to sort out before I can do this, mainly related to combat. Namely, does it consist entirely of sprays of non-lethal bullets, or can it involve things like swordplay? (like the fighting games) I'd prefer the latter, but that raises the question of how slashing someone at the speed of light is "non-lethal".
[...]
And how do spell cards work outside formal duels?

Just like they work inside the duels duh! I'm not even sure there's such things as "formal duels". Ambushing oponents (Mountain of Faith), ganking (Perfect Cherry Blossom), hit and run (pretty much every title), is all fair game.
Here's some stuff on that
http://dizzy.pestermom.com/?p=danmaku

As I said though, the idea that physical combat is an abstraction and they're really using danmaku doesn't really work as well as the inverse for this kind of thing.

Some things I'd like to establish:
Flying is more tiring than walking.
Both sides can use spellcards.
Grazing accomplishes nothing other than taking your opponent by surprise, at most.
No one calls out difficulty levels. :p
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 11:12:00 PM by Prime32 »
My work

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2010, 11:21:06 PM »
Hmm...interesting...though I see I'm late to the party by deciding to go to work instead of posting!

You're gonna have a LOT of dibs on Marisa.
So I'll add another.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2010, 12:11:32 AM »
Then I'll settle with Reimu and watch you two (and probably Nick if he comes in later) duke it out for Marisa. :p
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Nick

• King Kong
  • Cheese plz?
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2010, 06:39:30 AM »
Screw the two protagonists.

I'm gunning for Cirno :D
"You'll still be living in caves."
"Hell I don't mind that."
[spoiler][/spoiler]
befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2010, 10:49:06 AM »
You could always be Rin Satsuki.

For combat, I would suggest a "spell border" which makes things in the area non-lethal. Anyone can raise a border, and it persists as long as at least one combatant with remaining energy wants it to. In addition, magic cast from spell cards is non-lethal automatically. If you sufficiently disrupt a caster's concentration while using a spell card it results in "spell break", rendering the card unusable for a while.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 10:55:37 AM by Prime32 »
My work

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2010, 10:59:28 AM »
Heh, say, what if the protagonists get shot down?
Use a continue(new player)?
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2010, 11:04:16 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_GmXsKiF3I#2m15s

Continues? Continues are for WIMPS! Next thing you'll tell me you want to play on Easy mode.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 11:15:41 AM by Prime32 »
My work

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2010, 11:14:47 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjJUUS41h24

Continues? Continues are for WIMPS! Next thing you'll tell me you want to play on Easy mode.
Easy Cirno DOES have a certain charm to it.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2010, 12:07:07 PM »
Knowing freeform, this won't happen. :p

oslecamo

• Grape ape
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2010, 12:20:09 PM »
For combat, I would suggest a "spell border" which makes things in the area non-lethal.

What's exactly "non-lethal". Stripping your oponent of  clothes? Explosions knocking back? Bruises? Flesh wounds? Broken bones? Reducing your oponent to lumps of flesh that's somehow kept alive and regenerating from the border magic? No physical damage but pain untill your oponent gives up/faints?

I must point out to Silent Sinner in blue, where danmaku fires does cause burns. And Reimu threatens to turn the Rabbit's moon in a wasteland, wich tecnically is "non-lethal".

There's no such thing as easy mode in Touhou. There's hard mode that Zun always labels as "Easy" for unphatomable reasons. And then it only gets worst The only mode that's properly labeled is Lunatic. :p

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2010, 04:38:30 PM »
For combat, I would suggest a "spell border" which makes things in the area non-lethal.

What's exactly "non-lethal". Stripping your oponent of  clothes? Explosions knocking back? Bruises? Flesh wounds? Broken bones? Reducing your oponent to lumps of flesh that's somehow kept alive and regenerating from the border magic? No physical damage but pain untill your oponent gives up/faints?
Probably around Nanoha level.

I must point out to Silent Sinner in blue, where danmaku fires does cause burns. And Reimu threatens to turn the Rabbit's moon in a wasteland, wich tecnically is "non-lethal".
I thought we didn't speak of that. :p
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 04:40:13 PM by Prime32 »
My work

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2010, 04:56:12 PM »

What's exactly "non-lethal". Stripping your oponent of  clothes? Explosions knocking back? Bruises? Flesh wounds? Broken bones? Reducing your oponent to lumps of flesh that's somehow kept alive and regenerating from the border magic? No physical damage but pain untill your oponent gives up/faints?
To clarify, this means clothing damage, knockback, and possibly bruises (though I don't recall ever seeing much in the way of bruises in Nanoha), and blood running down the face as indication of vague injuries after a certain time spent fighting, yes?
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 04:58:15 PM by Agita »

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2010, 05:04:12 PM »

What's exactly "non-lethal". Stripping your oponent of  clothes? Explosions knocking back? Bruises? Flesh wounds? Broken bones? Reducing your oponent to lumps of flesh that's somehow kept alive and regenerating from the border magic? No physical damage but pain untill your oponent gives up/faints?
To clarify, this means clothing damage, knockback, and possibly bruises (though I don't recall ever seeing much in the way of bruises in Nanoha), and blood running down the face as indication of vague injuries after a certain time spent fighting, yes?
Sure. Plus drained energy.
My work