Author Topic: Good healbots?  (Read 9507 times)

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
Re: Good healbots?
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2010, 07:10:16 PM »
Shameless plug.

Of note: LE Cleric of Wee-Jas can use Blessing of the Godless. Be aware that this is slightly cheesy in flavor, but mechanically sound.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2010, 07:14:17 PM »
Cleric 6/Radiant Servant of Pelor 10. Solid healing + ridiculous buffing potential, and you lose nothing to get in.
I like Master of Radiance with this.  You drop a caster level, but you terminate undead with extreme prejudice, preemptively saving you loads of ability damage, negative levels and other horrible crap to heal.  And it's not like you can't put the hurt on non-undead with 30 searing lights or sunbeams per day.
"We managed to make an NPC puke an undead monster."
"That sounds like a victory to me."

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2010, 08:01:37 PM »
I like Dragonshaman's for healing batteries as they can do it pretty well. But only have the aura until level 6. With a good charisma and some metabreath feats they can be a good 5th party member. I would love to find a way to change their breath weapon to positive energy as that would truly rock the house for healing. Obviously not a powerful class but an interesting one.

A while ago on 339 I fleshed out a moderately competent dragon shaman healing battery and support character. The page is long dead though. I remember it had some dips in Marshal and Cleric 1 for cha synergy and a turning pool to fuel divine feats (like the one for more fast healing that works above 1/2hp). Flyby Attack and possibly strafing breath were used with entangling exhalation.
I actually might have that or a close variation of it hanging around somewhere.

I'm pretty sure I have a copy of my original post around somewhere, although I recall further discussions in the thread were getting silly. I don't even remember what it was for exactly, but I think we were down to some sort of reincarnation shenanigans to get a Mark of Healing on a halfling (or non-halfling?)... to what purpose I don't remember.
---
"The late, sedate, and no to great." ~Surreal

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.
Archived version of the above with working links

The Mango Index - a giant index for all things D&D and where to find them
The Mango List Reborn! - rehosted by KellKheraptis

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities
Alternative Class Features
alternative ways to get class skills

Akalsaris

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2010, 08:05:57 PM »
I've had some fun with stacking Healer (see my poor, neglected handbook...) and Healer of Mishakel, to get auto-empowered, 2x Charisma to healing, with another +4/spell level on top of that from Magic of the Land and Augment Healing, and then additional kickers from Combat Medic, with mastery of day and night for auto-maximize as well. 

All the little bonuses add up to significant healing - not enough if the game is super rocket tag with uberchargers every combat, but more than enough for your average campaign.

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2010, 08:08:29 PM »
Cleric 6/Radiant Servant of Pelor 10. Solid healing + ridiculous buffing potential, and you lose nothing to get in.
I like Master of Radiance with this.  You drop a caster level, but you terminate undead with extreme prejudice, preemptively saving you loads of ability damage, negative levels and other horrible crap to heal.  And it's not like you can't put the hurt on non-undead with 30 searing lights or sunbeams per day.
Undead tend to have massive numbers of HD for their CR, and most of the stuff that Master of Radiance do is either governed by the undead's HD (Turn Undead) or does hp damage (inefficiently slow). I don't see how Master of Radiance really help against undead. Am I missing something there?

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2010, 08:57:38 PM »
In a low op or moderate op group, a Crusader's healing works wonders.  My DM was greatly impressed that my L8 Crusader had Crusader's Strike, Revitalizing Strike, and Martial Spirit and kept everyone alive.  No one dropped during that fight, not even my guy who was around half HP when he began the fight.

By the end, the group was nearly full of HP.  And that's with just standard means of healing, not the Theraputic Mantle or delving into Incarnum.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 08:59:42 PM by Endarire »
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2010, 09:18:11 PM »
My psionic powers revision has some nice healing stuff in there. Playtests indicate that, while expensive, it enables psions and wilders a great deal of in-combat healing (and potentially infinite out-of-combat healing as well).
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

gorfnad

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2010, 09:36:02 PM »
X-Codes Optimized Lay On Hands Paladin

Crusader 5/ Binder 1/ Hellreaver 5/ Crusader 9 - Tank and secondary healer, use Naberious to safely refill your fury points mid encounter.

Artificers can make decent healers since they can make scrolls of any healing spell out there. Also they can cure 6d8+30 with the 2nd level infusion Armor Enhancement set to Healing, Greater from MIC.

gorfnad

« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2010, 10:03:34 PM »
That's an impressive paladin. O_o

Hellreaver?
Fiendish Codex II: Tyrants of the Nine Hells, also home to the much loved Hellfire Warlock. Basically Hellreaver gives you a number of points equal to Level +Cha mod usable on certain class abilities during an encounter. One of those abilities lets you sack a point for some healing (20hp per point at level 5) that can be used on you or an ally. These points can be refilled during an encounter by taking 2 Con damage which with my build would be healed by the Naberious vestige.

Here is another healer though it is slightly obscure and campaign specific. The Kender Nightstalker (Dragonlance: Races of Ansalon, page 153) has all the level 1-6 Cure X spells, Lesser/Normal/Greater Restoration, Heal, Break Enchantment, Remove Curse, and Raise Dead. It also has Trapfinding, Rebuke Undead, a decent amount of skills, and ghost cohorts that can gain class levels as normal cohorts (Telekinesis + MotUH :twitch).
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 12:30:44 AM by gorfnad »

ninjarabbit

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2010, 11:02:33 PM »
Healing just isn't about casting cure spells but also being able to remove nasty conditions.

But anyways cloistered cleric5/combat medic5/radiant servant of pelor10 works pretty well while be able to do other things

Unbeliever

• King Kong
« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2010, 04:00:41 AM »
Healing just isn't about casting cure spells but also being able to remove nasty conditions.
+1, this is often the most important role of the healer/cleric imho. 

Do we have a removing conditions handbook around somewhere?  Besides the awesome Cadeucus Bracers and Healing Lorecall (which has action economy issues), Panacea, and Heal I am not aware of any good options.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2010, 04:36:04 AM »
Step 1: Kill party member suffering from adverse condition.
Step 2: SLA:Last Breath*
Cures any condition that Iron Heart Surge can't lift.

*Or revivify if you're a wuss.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2010, 11:40:52 AM »

Is there actually text indicating that this works?  It seems to be a consensus that spells ignore the legality of the target after they are cast.  Why wouldn't disease/poison/etc. also follow this?
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286

Cagemarrow

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2010, 12:38:24 PM »
I don't know about Revivify but Last breath references Reincarnate and that says it creates a new healthy body for the target creature.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2010, 01:46:49 PM »

Is there actually text indicating that this works?  It seems to be a consensus that spells ignore the legality of the target after they are cast.  Why wouldn't disease/poison/etc. also follow this?
Because if a spell that raised you from the dead didn't remove your injuries, it'd be a piss-poor spell, that's why.

"Hey I'm alive OH MY KIDNEYS!"

More specifically
Normal poison and normal disease are cured in the process of raising the subject,
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Thread Necromancy a Specialty
« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2010, 03:40:55 PM »
A decent healer is a Shadow Dragonwrought Kobold Rogue with maxed UMD and Dragonfire Strike/Craven.

With flaws, you can deal 2d6+1 Negative Energy damage with an attack. Have your allies take Tomb-Tainted Soul.

Later on, UMD scrolls and Wands and other stuff to nab condition-removal.

And the best part about healing SA? It is now a Supernatural ability. Meaning that you can Empower your SA. Of course, that requires 9 HD, but think about it; even relatively unoptomised, you should have about 6d6+9 negative energy damage with a SA, and then you get the ability to Empower that 3/day...

Surprisingly decent.
[spoiler]Fighter: "I can kill a guy in one turn."
Cleric: "I can kill a guy in half a turn."
Wizard: "I can kill a guy before my turn."
Bard: "I can get three idiots to kill guys for me."

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.
probably over on "Off-topic".
might want to put a little disclaimer in the first post.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2010, 04:11:31 PM »
Raise dead is the only spell that brings you back from the dead but doesn't restore missing body parts and even it cures most poison and disease.
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

CantripN

• Hong Kong
  • Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
« Reply #38 on: December 23, 2010, 04:14:17 PM »
A decent healer is a Shadow Dragonwrought Kobold Rogue with maxed UMD and Dragonfire Strike/Craven.

With flaws, you can deal 2d6+1 Negative Energy damage with an attack. Have your allies take Tomb-Tainted Soul.

Later on, UMD scrolls and Wands and other stuff to nab condition-removal.

And the best part about healing SA? It is now a Supernatural ability. Meaning that you can Empower your SA. Of course, that requires 9 HD, but think about it; even relatively unoptomised, you should have about 6d6+9 negative energy damage with a SA, and then you get the ability to Empower that 3/day...

Surprisingly decent.

How is an ability that does just over 9d6 at level 9 decent? A piss-poor Fireball is as good, or if you want something harder to avoid, an Orb of Fire does as much and can Daze. Damage isn't the way to win the game, but if you're going to try, at least be good at it.
Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to be always part of unanimity.

Gnomeo

« Reply #39 on: December 23, 2010, 08:03:18 PM »
Binders can also use the Healing Devotion feat with the Green Lady or Tenebrous vestiges' turn attempts for free fast healing at touch range.  With the Improved Binding feat a Binder can do this with the Green Lady at level 1.
The next thing I say to you will be true.
The last thing I said was false.