Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question 21: Dunkadooballs!  (Read 161636 times)

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
Re: Ask a Simple Question 21: Dunkadooballs!
« Reply #960 on: January 18, 2011, 11:48:52 PM »
:
Q 251 Is there a way to have a skeleton throw bones at you as a thrown weapon? I've seen it in various video games, and thought that thematically that'd be kind of fun to add.
Throw anything feat or saying the bones are a club. Not sure how to get around them dismantling themselves though.
How do you advance a skeleton though, and give it more feats? Maybe they're bone knives or something.
Custom creature. Mindless creatures only get bonus feats. Just make it an ability they have.

Or... awaken undead?
Maybe bone creature.
Make them out of Giants and give them a ready supply of 50lb bones.

BrokeAndDrive

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • Why are there no ghosts of dinosaurs?
« Reply #961 on: January 19, 2011, 12:39:48 AM »
A248
No.  on several levels:
- the Icanatrix's ability applies only to metamagic feats
- metamagic feats only apply to spells (there are feats for metamagic-type effects for SLA's, but those are separate from the metamagic feats themselves)
- Su abilities are completely different things than spells or SLA's -- just because it produces a magic-type effect (and thus, goes away in an AMF) does not make it a spell (and therefor, not subject to being effected by a metamagic feat) -- nor are they subject to meta-SLA feats.
Oh. Well, thank you. I just need to change Warding to (Sp) (if that still doesn't work, then I'll have to resort to fiat :( ) so my custom prismatic wyrming BBEG who's a total coward that's focused on total defense can be a real dick. :D
Uh, the Iot7V's warding *is* (sp).

It's why mistling fey can be such dicks with it (living spell wardings!)
*flips open Complete Arcane and reads it again*

Me => :banghead :(

Well I guess this means dragons (and VDKs :devil) can apply Automatic Metamagic Capacity (in that book, it specifies the feat works on SLAs, too) without "cheating". Nice.

Wait, isn't the... thing Warlocks do considered an SLA?

This opens up a big ol' can of worms. Delicious Kentucky-fried worms! Dipped in white linguine sauce! And nacho! A marriage of uncouth and cultured!
Random quotes:[spoiler]I think Roy's coinages are shitty and dumb, but Failroy has to take the cake for the dumbest new compound word of the year
~

That was kind of the point. I was trying to be a Roy parody, but I guess it didn't come across overly well.

==

JaronK is of course most famous for his massive thought experiments into placing classes into tiers. While a kind of nifty idea, and a decent enough way to think about stuff, his particular tier assignments were basically insane. Apparently the criteria he used was to assign classes relative strength based on what bullshit he personally would let them get away with at 20th level.

So Factotums were rated very highly, because apparently he would let them use Rokugan-exclusive skills with Forgotten Realms-exclusive weapons from the back of MM2 templated warbeasts. But Rogues suck donkey dick, becuase he wouldn't let them use Use Magic Device to read scrolls of Planar Binding. It was a very surreal argument.
~

And to think the system was immortalized in OOTS. As a general rule, I try to avoid all tier discussion there because it's the De Facto system at BG, and I'm not going to change anyone's mind.

Besides, I think if most people are pressed, they will admit that it's just an estimate, anyway, and that results can vary from table to table.
~

My only real complaint with the tier system is that at one point I was tired (tiered?) of hearing about it.[/spoiler]

Iskajir

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #962 on: January 19, 2011, 01:03:21 AM »
Q 256 Is a scroll of Elemental Familiar [Air] worth the cost of a scroll for a flying familar who delivers touch buffs? Master is Focused Transmuter 5/ War Weaver 1, a long time until Enlarged Tapestry. I could wait until I level, add it to my spellbook as one of my choices, and spend my xp instead, I guess.....

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/sb/sb20030504x

500xp is stiff, and ~2.8K gp is too at this level. All of those immunities, fly 100 (perfect), familiar bonus becomes initiative, and the STR to carry hand-me-down magic items eventually are huge improvements on my fat, lazy raven.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #963 on: January 19, 2011, 01:15:12 AM »
Q 256 Is a scroll of Elemental Familiar [Air] worth the cost of a scroll for a flying familar who delivers touch buffs? Master is Focused Transmuter 5/ War Weaver 1, a long time until Enlarged Tapestry. I could wait until I level, add it to my spellbook as one of my choices, and spend my xp instead, I guess.....

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/sb/sb20030504x

500xp is stiff, and ~2.8K gp is too at this level. All of those immunities, fly 100 (perfect), familiar bonus becomes initiative, and the STR to carry hand-me-down magic items eventually are huge improvements on my fat, lazy raven.
The XP probably seems like a better option.  You're level 6, so a typical CR 6 encounter ought to give you 1800 xp.  Either you spend a single encounter a level lower than the rest of the party (and end up netting a little xp over the rest of the party), or you don't spend any encounters a level lower (and get no harm)
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Iskajir

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #964 on: January 19, 2011, 01:30:44 AM »
Thanks!! That is what I will do. We didn't quite make it to 7th level last week as I'd hoped, but this week ought to go be enough.

Catty Nebulart

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #965 on: January 19, 2011, 02:22:14 AM »
Q257 Is there a way to extend or persist a spell like ability? In particular the Sand Shapers Sandshape(Sp). It was pointed out to me it takes a long time to cast and doesn't last long.
E: "Did they... did they just endorse the combination of the JSDF and US Army by showing them as two lesbian lolicons moving in together and holding hands and talking about how 'intimate' they were?"
B: "Have you forgotten so soon? They're phasing out Don't Ask, Don't Tell."

Garryl

• Hong Kong
« Reply #966 on: January 19, 2011, 02:26:43 AM »
Q 255 How can an arcane caster get a domain (specifically magic domain) without giving up any casting levels?

A 255: There's a sorcerer alternative class feature in Complete Champion/Divine/SomethingIforget that gives you a domain (and some domain spell slots, maybe?) in exchange for fewer spells known. I can't quite remember if you get the domain ability or whether the domain's spells are simply added to your spells known.

Domain Access ACF, about halfway down the page. It gives the domain power in addition to letting you cast one spell/level/day from the domain.
A Guide to Free D&D - A resource of free, official D&D resources on the web.
General listing of my homebrew.
Links to things I've worked on
[spoiler]
Idiot Crusader, refreshing maneuvers for free every round.
The Opposed Checks Handbook - Under construction.
Adaptations Handbook - Under construction.
[/spoiler]

MyndBulletz

• Omnia Mutantur, Nihil Interit.
« Reply #967 on: January 19, 2011, 02:28:21 AM »
Q 258: Is there a way to increase the range of a thrown weapon without being a hulking hurler?
Winning a dispute on the internet is like getting a gold medal at the Special Olympics. Sure you won...but you're still retarded.

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • Email
« Reply #968 on: January 19, 2011, 02:45:18 AM »
Q259:

Is there a way of having Insightful Strike [BoED] keyed off Int rather than Wis?

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #969 on: January 19, 2011, 02:57:28 AM »
Q 260 How do you determine what a Reflex check might be for falling objects coming down to land on you?
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

cru

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #970 on: January 19, 2011, 03:02:37 AM »
Q259:

Is there a way of having Insightful Strike [BoED] keyed off Int rather than Wis?
look here for options:
http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=215.0

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #971 on: January 19, 2011, 03:29:34 AM »
Q 260 How do you determine what a Reflex check might be for falling objects coming down to land on you?
Depends upon the objects. Check the cave-in rules for a general rule-of-thumb.
Planetouched Handbook

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #972 on: January 19, 2011, 03:30:36 AM »
DMG?

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #973 on: January 19, 2011, 03:39:33 AM »
261: Are there any PrCs that do something with the Spell Mastery feat other than the Magelord?

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #974 on: January 19, 2011, 03:47:21 AM »
DMG?
Dunno.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/dungeons.htm
Planetouched Handbook

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #975 on: January 19, 2011, 03:54:39 AM »
262: Which Shadow Creature ability is worth the extra +1 LA that the Shadow Creature template gives on top of the Dark Creature template?

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #976 on: January 19, 2011, 05:13:27 AM »
Q 263 Is there something in the rules that I'm not seeing regarding bullrushing someone through their own ally's squares? Does that give them a bonus of any kind, or just provoke AoOs on you?

The_Laughing_Man

« Reply #977 on: January 19, 2011, 06:20:21 AM »
Q 263 Is there something in the rules that I'm not seeing regarding bullrushing someone through their own ally's squares? Does that give them a bonus of any kind, or just provoke AoOs on you?

I asked the same question some time ago. No answer other than they might be falling prone. I tend to think that if the path is obstructed then you can't bullrush.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #978 on: January 19, 2011, 06:50:31 AM »

I asked the same question some time ago. No answer other than they might be falling prone. I tend to think that if the path is obstructed then you can't bullrush.
I wondered that as well.

Q 264 What ability or feat is it that lets you flank from any direction?

cru

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #979 on: January 19, 2011, 07:06:57 AM »
A264 Tactical Warrior 1 (Miniatures Handbook)