Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question 21: Dunkadooballs!  (Read 161618 times)

Jopustopin

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
Re: Ask a Simple Question 21: Dunkadooballs!
« Reply #60 on: December 23, 2010, 01:37:42 AM »
Q 17a If a necropolitan druid used wildshape, would they gain the Con of the animal, and go from having Con - to Con X? Same question for a necropolitan wizard/sorcerer who polymorphed.
Q 17b Regardless of the outcome, would they still heal when shapechanging?
According to LM, undead creatures just can't wildshape.  Dunno why.

Corrupted Wild Shape  (LM) is a feat that answers your question.
Very good feat. Thank you for that.

But this then adds a new question that's around for curiosity sake only.

Q 17c Do you need Corrupted Wild Shape to use the Polymorph spell, or would you just use the spell as if you did have the feat?

Undead Creatures cannot use polymorph
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/polymorph.htm
Read  Target

I think Corrupted Wild Shape does not allow an undead to polymorph.  Only to use wild shape.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #61 on: December 23, 2010, 01:46:30 AM »
Q 17a If a necropolitan druid used wildshape, would they gain the Con of the animal, and go from having Con - to Con X? Same question for a necropolitan wizard/sorcerer who polymorphed.
Q 17b Regardless of the outcome, would they still heal when shapechanging?
According to LM, undead creatures just can't wildshape.  Dunno why.

Corrupted Wild Shape  (LM) is a feat that answers your question.
Very good feat. Thank you for that.

But this then adds a new question that's around for curiosity sake only.

Q 17c Do you need Corrupted Wild Shape to use the Polymorph spell, or would you just use the spell as if you did have the feat?

Undead Creatures cannot use polymorph
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/polymorph.htm
Read  Target

I think Corrupted Wild Shape does not allow an undead to polymorph.  Only to use wild shape.
Hmm. Alter Self still works, as does Fiendform, both Holy Transformations, and both Infernal Transformations. Those don't require a "living" being. Weird that Polymorph doesn't work too. At least they got around the wildshape part with a feat in LM.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

Jopustopin

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #62 on: December 23, 2010, 01:53:46 AM »
I think it's weird that an undead druid can have an animal companion.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #63 on: December 23, 2010, 01:54:40 AM »
I think it's weird that an undead druid can have an animal companion.
Almost as weird as druids being able to have vermin as their companion.

dna1

• Hong Kong
  • Im not albino Im just from Alaska
    • Email
« Reply #64 on: December 23, 2010, 02:41:23 AM »
"The lycanthrope takes on the characteristics of some type of carnivorous or omnivorous creature of the animal type "

Doesn't have to be one animal.  Just one creature with the animal type.

It's not particularly broken, and it's really cool, so I don't see any issue with allowing it.
Yes, but fortunately 'animal' is explicitly defined shorthand

"The lycanthrope takes on the characteristics of some type of carnivorous or omnivorous creature of the animal type (referred to hereafter as the base animal). "

Hmmm... now I'm considering making an anthropomorphic murder of crows.

k so then RAW you can be a murder of crows? whats the LA that would have?  and a anthromorphic murder of crows sounds pretty funny  :D
Slappin ho's like E-Honda

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #65 on: December 23, 2010, 02:43:50 AM »
RAW, yeah, you can be a lycantropic were-murder of crows, so long as your base race is halfling or kobold or something else [small].

Natural lycanthrope would be LA+3, +3 animal HD, IIRC, and afflicted is LA+2 and 3 animal HD.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #66 on: December 23, 2010, 02:51:07 AM »
RAW, yeah, you can be a lycantropic were-murder of crows, so long as your base race is halfling or kobold or something else [small].

Natural lycanthrope would be LA+3, +3 animal HD, IIRC, and afflicted is LA+2 and 3 animal HD.
4 animal HD. Murder of crows is 4 HD.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #67 on: December 23, 2010, 02:54:55 AM »
Right.  I'm AFB at the moment - thought they were 3hd.
Planetouched Handbook

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #68 on: December 23, 2010, 03:05:22 AM »
Q 18 Buddy and I are talking about summoning creatures, and he said he recalls hearing about a bag or hat in D&D that worked like a magician's hat. Like the old Bullwinkle Moose "Hey Rocky. Watch me pull a rabbit out of my hat." Is there such an item? If it's homebrew that's fine too. I'm sure it's just something like summon monster 1 or summon nature's ally 1, but the idea that this item actually exists somewhere intrigues me. If not I'll probably make one up, but I was interested in whether or not it did other stuff too.

Q 19 Just to add to that, is there a bag of snakes? Like a Snakes on a Plane kind of bag of snakes? I mean besides putting snakes into a sack and releasing them that way.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 03:07:01 AM by kevin_video »

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
« Reply #69 on: December 23, 2010, 04:08:41 AM »
Q 18 Buddy and I are talking about summoning creatures, and he said he recalls hearing about a bag or hat in D&D that worked like a magician's hat. Like the old Bullwinkle Moose "Hey Rocky. Watch me pull a rabbit out of my hat." Is there such an item? If it's homebrew that's fine too. I'm sure it's just something like summon monster 1 or summon nature's ally 1, but the idea that this item actually exists somewhere intrigues me. If not I'll probably make one up, but I was interested in whether or not it did other stuff too.

Q 19 Just to add to that, is there a bag of snakes? Like a Snakes on a Plane kind of bag of snakes? I mean besides putting snakes into a sack and releasing them that way.

A18: There's the bag of tricks.
My babies - A thread of random builds I've come up with over the years.
Notes to self

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #70 on: December 23, 2010, 04:24:07 AM »

A18: There's the bag of tricks.
Not bad. Probably wouldn't take much to change it up thematically. If I could figure out why it's so cheap (900 to 6300), I could probably build my own for question 19 if the bag itself doesn't exist. Just don't get why the tan one's so cheap. Especially considering they last for 10 minutes.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #71 on: December 23, 2010, 04:30:01 AM »
Low uses/week, and you can only have one out at a time.
Planetouched Handbook

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #72 on: December 23, 2010, 04:41:17 AM »
I don't recall whether it says usually or absolutely, but I don't think an anthropomorphic murder of crows maintains the Swarm subtype, since anthropomorphic makes it a small creature (which, I believe, is too big to swarm).  This was probably updated in rules compendium, though, and given that I don't have that book... meh.

A Weremurder of Crows, however, is perfectly legal, and the visual is pretty cool.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #73 on: December 23, 2010, 06:08:54 AM »
There actually is a small swarm - spire dragons from sharn:city of towers will occasionally create a swarm.
Planetouched Handbook

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #74 on: December 23, 2010, 08:36:22 AM »
In that example, it would be +7, since the +5 is enhancing the Leather and not the Chain Shirt.
If that is the case, then the total AC bonus of a +5 dastana would be +6...
Irrelevant, since you've now got two enhancement bonuses to your armor bonus. Overlapping applies.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #75 on: December 23, 2010, 08:54:57 AM »
In that example, it would be +7, since the +5 is enhancing the Leather and not the Chain Shirt.
Irrelevant, since you've now got two enhancement bonuses to your armor bonus. Overlapping applies.
If that is the case, then the leather and chain shirt example would have an AC of +9, not +7. It is either looking at the whole AC bonus, or partial. If it is partial, then a +5 leather and a +1 chain shirt would have the separate components (base AC and enhancement AC) looked at individually and the highest applied in both categories.

Hence my question: Is it partial or is it full?

TC X0 Lt 0X

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #76 on: December 23, 2010, 09:02:34 AM »
Q20
When a fiend with the possession ability (FC1) possesses a creature, will it regain use of it's extraordinary, supernatural, spell-likes, and spells which it loses when it is in incorporeal form, or does it still count as being in incorporeal form while inhabiting a body?
"Never beg, you earn, by winning,
or else you won't get anything..."

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #77 on: December 23, 2010, 09:26:47 AM »
If that is the case, then the leather and chain shirt example would have an AC of +9, not +7. It is either looking at the whole AC bonus, or partial. If it is partial, then a +5 leather and a +1 chain shirt would have the separate components (base AC and enhancement AC) looked at individually and the highest applied in both categories.

they all overlap, take the highest only. Dastana are special case items the increase an existing armor bonus by an untyped 1, so they stack, but multiple types of armor (btw, anyone who argued that wearing multiple sets of light armor is still light I would smack) overlap. +5 chain and +5 dastana would net a +10 armor bonus (4 base, +5 enhancement, +1 dastana). Double enchanting is pointless.
[Spoiler]

They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

[/spoiler]

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #78 on: December 23, 2010, 09:32:21 AM »

they all overlap, take the highest only. Dastana are special case items the increase an existing armor bonus by an untyped 1, so they stack, but multiple types of armor (btw, anyone who argued that wearing multiple sets of light armor is still light I would smack) overlap. +5 chain and +5 dastana would net a +10 armor bonus (4 base, +5 enhancement, +1 dastana). Double enchanting is pointless.
Don't care about your smacking. Internet smiting is like children talking tough. People who do it should just be ignored as they should be seen, not heard :P

Now, then, leath and chain. WHat's the total AC? 7 or 9?

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #79 on: December 23, 2010, 09:52:57 AM »

Don't care about your smacking. Internet smiting is like children talking tough. People who do it should just be ignored as they should be seen, not heard :P

Now, then, leath and chain. WHat's the total AC? 7 or 9?
as in: a hybrid type of armor, or wearing one suit of both?

Somehow became a wall of text >.<
[Spoiler]
And my other point was that it makes no sense, from either a game or reality standpoint.you've got something that limits your movement not through weight, but through range of motion and bulkiness, and then you add something that does the same thing in slightly different points of articulation and expect it not to encumber you more? Also, historically, heavier armors tended to consist of layers, with chain protecting the points of articulation or areas where lesser protection were needed, with either a leather suit or padded gambeson (or in some parts of the world, both) to protect against both blunt force trauma from force-of-impact pushing your own armor back into you, and to prevent chafing. I would personally just steer you to a heavier set of armor for the mechanical fulfillment of your flavor attempt, since adding more armor or more coverage has diminishing returns. Adding a second layer of plating to your torso won't do a whole hell of a lot (if anything except in niche cases) when you already have one layer covering the exact same areas. The difference between the historical equivalency of what the game calls Full-plate and Banded Mail in western euro culture was similar to game stats: purpose created minimalist armor (a suit of plate, which was just forged plates of metal with padding beneath) versus multiple layerings of weaker armors (early-mid loricated plate, which was strips of metal banded together over another layer of chain over padding).[/spoiler]
[Spoiler]

[/spoiler]