Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question 21: Dunkadooballs!  (Read 161915 times)

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
Re: Ask a Simple Question 21: Dunkadooballs!
« Reply #300 on: December 30, 2010, 07:48:17 PM »
I had hoped to use Binder instead, but I think it might have to be Warlock at this point.
If you really wanted you could do something with spellthief and the mark of passage.  I know of several low LA templates that grant a handful of teleports, but nothing better.

Shape soulmeld: blink shirt would work, I guess.  Depends what you're after.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 08:12:02 PM by The_Mad_Linguist »
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

betrayor

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #301 on: December 30, 2010, 08:09:41 PM »
Q91Are there any other sources for exalted feats except for Book of Exalted Deeds and Champions of Valor?

Ithamar

• Hong Kong
  • PM me if you're interested in some Arena action!
« Reply #302 on: December 30, 2010, 08:19:39 PM »
TML - Thanks, I'll check it out.  We're supposed to be monstrous, so I figured if we have to use HD / LA, might as well get something out of it.

Betrayor - PGtF has a few Exalted & Vile feats towards the back.
Are you worthy of Ascension?
Always accepting gladiators!  Now with a new and improved rule set!

Shiki

• King Kong
  • Mindraped
« Reply #303 on: December 30, 2010, 08:26:27 PM »
Q77: Which version of the Hammer power is to be used, the SRD one or the XPH one? Also, does it kinda work like Wraithstrike or am I wrong? Like, would you be able to, assuming you took the shape of a Twelve-Headed Hydra, make twelve touch attacks?
A77: The SRD version (ostensibly) uses errata. Use that one.

Basically, you touch a creature (including yourself), granting it +1d8 damage touch attacks for 1 round. The way that 'holding the charge' spells work, it would get that +1d8 on its natural attacks as well as its regular damage for that 6 seconds.

So, your unarmed attacks/natural attacks can now be touch attacks which deals 1d8+etc less str bludgeoning damage for the duration of the power. You can hold the charge and since its duration is 1 round+ you can make normal unarmed/natural attacks which will do normal damage+1d8 bludgeoning damage. IIRC, any bonuses to damage (except str) would technically count twice if you go holding the charge but that'd be stupid I guess, right? ???

ps: I'm not sure if it's my english reading capacities which are failing me here or the wording of the power/rules. Either way, that makes me sad panda. <.<
Okay, my psion manifests hammer on my psicrystal, which I previously metamorphosis'd into a 10-headed hydra. It now can make touch attacks (in lieu of its natural attack routine) for 1d8 bludgeoning damage each, and it would add any other modifiers that would apply on touch attacks (such as damage from the shocking grasp spell, and so on); this doesn't include the actual bite damage, or Strength modifiers. Alternatively it could make its normal attack routine against the target's normal AC, and add +1d8 bludgeoning damage to each successful attack for hammer's duration.

That's clearer, I guess I get it now. Thanks Lycan. :>
"An ally of truth."

Soundtrack of the week:
Kagamine Rin - Antichlorobenzene (ft. Kagamine Ren)

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
« Reply #304 on: December 30, 2010, 09:20:41 PM »
We're supposed to be monstrous, so I figured if we have to use HD / LA, might as well get something out of it.
  • Aberration: Daelkyr halfbood (Magic of Eberron 37), elan (Expanded Psionics Handbook 9), synad (Complete Psionic 139)
  • Construct: Warforged (Eberron Campaign Setting 20), warforged scout (Monster Manual III 193)
  • Fey: Duskling (Magic of Incarnum 10), faun (Deities and Demigods 133), jermlain (Monster Manual II 131), killoren (Races of the Wild 102)
  • Monstrous Humanoid: Anthropomorphic [bat, lizard, monkey, rat, raven, toad, weasel] (Savage Species 214), lupin (Dragon Compendium 18), muckdweller (Serpent Kingdoms 71), tibbit (Dragon Compendium 21)
  • Outsider: Neraph (Planar Handbook 12)
  • Vermin: Hairy spider (Monsters of Faerun 79, see 3.5 update booklet)

+0 ECL Templates That Change Type
  • Fey: Unseelie fey (living; Dragon Compendium 222)
  • Undead: Necropolitan (humanoid, monstrous humanoid; Libris Mortis 114)

Feats That Change Type
  • Dragon: Dragonwrought (kobold; Races of the Dragon 100)
  • Outsider: Otherworldly (deep imaskari, elf, spirit folk; Player's Guide to Faerun 41)

Non-Humanoid Racial Classes You Don't Have to Take Levels In

shalandar

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #305 on: December 30, 2010, 09:41:33 PM »
Q 88: Say I modify a spell with Ocular Spell.  Could I target myself with the ray, by say, looking down at myself?

Bump

dna1

• Hong Kong
  • Im not albino Im just from Alaska
    • Email
« Reply #306 on: December 30, 2010, 10:01:15 PM »
q 92. how does one qualify for beholder mage? 
i was under the impression only beholders can take that class.. but iv seen it mentioned around the forums here and there, i really doubt anyone is making a beholder. so please enlighten me!
Slappin ho's like E-Honda

InnaBinder

• Grape ape
  • OnnaTable
    • Okay - - Your Turn: Monte Cook's Message Board
« Reply #307 on: December 30, 2010, 10:43:14 PM »
i was under the impression only beholders can take that class.. but iv seen it mentioned around the forums here and there, i really doubt anyone is making a beholder. so please enlighten me!
A92:Polymorph + Polymorph = shenanigans.
Winning an argument on the internet is like winning in the Special Olympics.  You won, but you're still retarded.

I made a Handbook!?

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #308 on: December 30, 2010, 10:46:45 PM »

More specifically, if one uses Polymorph Any Object to become a Beholder, then Polymorph Any Object again to become a Beholder, the transformation is permanent.
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

Emo_Duck

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #309 on: December 30, 2010, 10:48:47 PM »
Q 93: Are there any ways for a psionic creature (say, a psion) to bestow psionic power to a creature that isn't already psionic? Psychic Chirurgery can implant knowledge of powers, but requires that the recipient is already a psionic character. As far as mechanics go, I'd just like to make the target count as 'psionic', but beyond that it's mostly a matter of fluff.

I know the Soul Crystal power from Magic of Incarnum makes a power crystal that anyone can use, but that's not quite what I'm looking for.

TC X0 Lt 0X

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #310 on: December 31, 2010, 12:16:10 AM »
Q94
Any decent options to optimize the Track Feat (and/or it's variants)?
"Never beg, you earn, by winning,
or else you won't get anything..."

dna1

• Hong Kong
  • Im not albino Im just from Alaska
    • Email
« Reply #311 on: December 31, 2010, 01:36:37 AM »

More specifically, if one uses Polymorph Any Object to become a Beholder, then Polymorph Any Object again to become a Beholder, the transformation is permanent.

why do you have to use two polymorphs? i dont get it
Slappin ho's like E-Honda

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #312 on: December 31, 2010, 01:55:56 AM »
PAO has duration based upon how similar your current and final forms are.
Planetouched Handbook

Epimetheus

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #313 on: December 31, 2010, 02:37:06 AM »
Q 95 Can you ever change a permanent spell effect to (Ex)?

Because PAO will end when dispelled (or temporarily in AMF). Then again, can handle the former by having (nearly infinite) PAO effects cast on yourself?

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
« Reply #314 on: December 31, 2010, 02:50:57 AM »
Q96

How can I accomplish Nonlethal Substitution for spells, only without adjusting the slot and with every type of damage? Energy Substitution in addition to Nonlethal Substitution would accomplish the latter in a lot of cases, but two feats and a +1 slot adjustment is overkill for what amounts to a fluff ability for this character, and which is actually disadvantageous far more often than not (the odds of wanting a monster alive tend to be lower than the odds of encountering something immune to nonlethal damage).
So you end up stuck in an endless loop, unable to act, forever.

In retrospect, much like Keanu Reeves.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #315 on: December 31, 2010, 03:18:52 AM »
Q96

How can I accomplish Nonlethal Substitution for spells, only without adjusting the slot and with every type of damage? Energy Substitution in addition to Nonlethal Substitution would accomplish the latter in a lot of cases, but two feats and a +1 slot adjustment is overkill for what amounts to a fluff ability for this character, and which is actually disadvantageous far more often than not (the odds of wanting a monster alive tend to be lower than the odds of encountering something immune to nonlethal damage).
You get about 90% of that with Oneiromancy (heros of horror)
Planetouched Handbook

The_Laughing_Man

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #316 on: December 31, 2010, 12:09:50 PM »
Q97: We need to transport large quantities of water with either portable hole (DMG p.264) or enveloping pit (MIC p.159). The easy part is to fill it i.e. open it in a pool/sea/lake. The hard part is to empty it moderately quickly. What would be the quickest/best way?

I know that reverse gravity (lv 7 spell) could do it but would there be another way, either spell or mundane?

betrayor

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #317 on: December 31, 2010, 12:30:51 PM »
Q97: We need to transport large quantities of water with either portable hole (DMG p.264) or enveloping pit (MIC p.159). The easy part is to fill it i.e. open it in a pool/sea/lake. The hard part is to empty it moderately quickly. What would be the quickest/best way?

I know that reverse gravity (lv 7 spell) could do it but would there be another way, either spell or mundane?
Wouln't control water help?

Benly

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #318 on: December 31, 2010, 12:56:49 PM »

Set up a wooden platform on a rotating axle so that it can flip over. Lay your portable hole flat on the platform, then flip it.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #319 on: December 31, 2010, 01:42:46 PM »
Q 98 How do I go about increasing the CR of a golem without increasing their size and the racial HD is maxed out?
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.