Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question 21: Dunkadooballs!  (Read 161621 times)

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
Re: Ask a Simple Question 21: Dunkadooballs!
« Reply #280 on: December 30, 2010, 03:19:29 AM »
Q77: Which version of the Hammer power is to be used, the SRD one or the XPH one?

Factoring in the errata, there is no difference. 

Archao

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #281 on: December 30, 2010, 07:20:16 AM »
also, Q86: would a cleric with the ACF Divine Magician be considered to be casting arcane spells?

EDIT: im basically looking for a way to qualify for dweomerkeeper as a full divine caster without dipping an arcane class.
I don't have the book on hand, but I think the spells are cast as if added to your spell list (and therefore Divine), so I would think not.

Take a look at the Magical Training feat on page 41 of Player's Guide to Faerun. It's a Regional feat that allows you to cast a limited number of Cantrips as a wizard/sorcerer, and by the RAW for Dweomerkeeper, it fills the requirement for arcane casting.

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
« Reply #282 on: December 30, 2010, 02:19:02 PM »
Q67

Any way to add Greater Mighty Wallop to the Cleric spell list with a minimum of level investment?
No domains, huh?
None that I'm aware of grant it. This is problematic since it means I can't just grab a Domain Staff.
So you end up stuck in an endless loop, unable to act, forever.

In retrospect, much like Keanu Reeves.

Shiki

• King Kong
  • Mindraped
« Reply #283 on: December 30, 2010, 02:19:53 PM »
Q77: Which version of the Hammer power is to be used, the SRD one or the XPH one?

Factoring in the errata, there is no difference. 

Oh, I didn't know there was actually one. Thanks. o:

re-Bump for the rest of my question because of sudden page change and me being bad.

Q77: Hammer [...] Also, does it kinda work like Wraithstrike or am I wrong? Like, would you be able to, assuming you took the shape of a Twelve-Headed Hydra, make twelve touch attacks?
"An ally of truth."

Soundtrack of the week:
Kagamine Rin - Antichlorobenzene (ft. Kagamine Ren)

shalandar

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #284 on: December 30, 2010, 02:55:39 PM »
Q 88: Say I modify a spell with Ocular Spell.  Could I target myself with the ray, by say, looking down at myself?

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #285 on: December 30, 2010, 03:06:07 PM »
Q77: Which version of the Hammer power is to be used, the SRD one or the XPH one? Also, does it kinda work like Wraithstrike or am I wrong? Like, would you be able to, assuming you took the shape of a Twelve-Headed Hydra, make twelve touch attacks?
A77: The SRD version (ostensibly) uses errata. Use that one.

Basically, you touch a creature (including yourself), granting it +1d8 damage touch attacks for 1 round. The way that 'holding the charge' spells work, it would get that +1d8 on its natural attacks as well as its regular damage for that 6 seconds.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

Shiki

• King Kong
  • Mindraped
« Reply #286 on: December 30, 2010, 05:15:05 PM »
Q77: Which version of the Hammer power is to be used, the SRD one or the XPH one? Also, does it kinda work like Wraithstrike or am I wrong? Like, would you be able to, assuming you took the shape of a Twelve-Headed Hydra, make twelve touch attacks?

Basically, you touch a creature (including yourself), granting it +1d8 damage touch attacks for 1 round. The way that 'holding the charge' spells work, it would get that +1d8 on its natural attacks as well as its regular damage for that 6 seconds.

So, your unarmed attacks/natural attacks can now be touch attacks which deals 1d8+etc less str bludgeoning damage for the duration of the power. You can hold the charge and since its duration is 1 round+ you can make normal unarmed/natural attacks which will do normal damage+1d8 bludgeoning damage. IIRC, any bonuses to damage (except str) would technically count twice if you go holding the charge but that'd be stupid I guess, right? ???

ps: I'm not sure if it's my english reading capacities which are failing me here or the wording of the power/rules. Either way, that makes me sad panda. <.<
"An ally of truth."

Soundtrack of the week:
Kagamine Rin - Antichlorobenzene (ft. Kagamine Ren)

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #287 on: December 30, 2010, 05:44:16 PM »
Q 89 Is there a rule I'm not seeing about what kind of penalty you take when trying to wield a two-handed weapon with one hand?
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

betrayor

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #288 on: December 30, 2010, 05:45:26 PM »
Q 89 Is there a rule I'm not seeing about what kind of penalty you take when trying to wield a two-handed weapon with one hand?

A89As far as I know you can not wield a two-handed weapon with one hand....

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #289 on: December 30, 2010, 05:46:52 PM »

Ever? What about with the Strongarm Bracers? Would that get around it?

Ithamar

• Hong Kong
  • PM me if you're interested in some Arena action!
« Reply #290 on: December 30, 2010, 06:19:22 PM »
Q90:  I'm looking for a playable monstrous race, ECL 13 or less, that has the ability to Teleport and/or Dimension Door at will.  Here's the caveat:  No angels / demons / devils / etc.
Are you worthy of Ascension?
Always accepting gladiators!  Now with a new and improved rule set!

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #291 on: December 30, 2010, 06:25:23 PM »

That should work.  But then the penalty for incorrectly sized weapons should apply (-4 as I recall).
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
« Reply #292 on: December 30, 2010, 06:32:00 PM »
The penalty is -2.  Also, a large longsword and a medium greatsword deal the same amount of damage.  You'd be better of with an appropriately-sized one-handed weapon. 

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #293 on: December 30, 2010, 06:34:18 PM »

So, your unarmed attacks/natural attacks can now be touch attacks which deals 1d8+etc less str bludgeoning damage for the duration of the power. You can hold the charge and since its duration is 1 round+ you can make normal unarmed/natural attacks which will do normal damage+1d8 bludgeoning damage. IIRC, any bonuses to damage (except str) would technically count twice if you go holding the charge but that'd be stupid I guess, right? ???

ps: I'm not sure if it's my english reading capacities which are failing me here or the wording of the power/rules. Either way, that makes me sad panda. <.<
Okay, my psion manifests hammer on my psicrystal, which I previously metamorphosis'd into a 10-headed hydra. It now can make touch attacks (in lieu of its natural attack routine) for 1d8 bludgeoning damage each, and it would add any other modifiers that would apply on touch attacks (such as damage from the shocking grasp spell, and so on); this doesn't include the actual bite damage, or Strength modifiers. Alternatively it could make its normal attack routine against the target's normal AC, and add +1d8 bludgeoning damage to each successful attack for hammer's duration.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

betrayor

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #294 on: December 30, 2010, 06:38:28 PM »

No it wouldn't.....
What you can do is wield an one handed weapon one size category larger....
So for example a human with strongarm bracers he  would not be able to wield one handed a greatsword but he would be able to wield one handed a large longsword.....

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #295 on: December 30, 2010, 06:41:11 PM »

No it wouldn't.....
So for example a human with strongarm bracers he  would not be able to wield one handed a greatsword but he would be able to wield one handed a large longsword.....
which, mechanically speaking, is the exact same thing. :)

[spoiler]
If you stop ignoring 289 pages telling what the intent is to stretch "more power" in your own god complexion of your interpretation trumps all to cover ability adjustments from aging then I will ignore a quarter page of rules that exist within a sidebar.
I think in this case the grammar is less important than whether the Str and Dex bonus provided to your created undead scales.

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt
More Savage Progressions[/spoiler]
Report any wrongs I have done here.

betrayor

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #296 on: December 30, 2010, 06:44:22 PM »

No it wouldn't.....
So for example a human with strongarm bracers he  would not be able to wield one handed a greatsword but he would be able to wield one handed a large longsword.....
which, mechanically speaking, is the exact same thing. :)

Well yes, but some dms are stingy.....
I had dms that said that you have to find a large longsword and that a greatsword wouldn't work.....

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #297 on: December 30, 2010, 07:01:04 PM »

No it wouldn't.....
So for example a human with strongarm bracers he  would not be able to wield one handed a greatsword but he would be able to wield one handed a large longsword.....
Well the thing is, is my character's an executioner so the DM gave me the mace from the Age of Worms campaign. It's two-handed, and I'm going to be a melee fighter (crusader actually), and was hoping to find some way of getting better defense (buckler/shield, dueling cloak, etc). We're all low level so no animated shield yet.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #298 on: December 30, 2010, 07:26:07 PM »
Q90:  I'm looking for a playable monstrous race, ECL 13 or less, that has the ability to Teleport and/or Dimension Door at will.  Here's the caveat:  No angels / demons / devils / etc.
Any particular reason you don't just stack on warlock levels?
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Ithamar

• Hong Kong
  • PM me if you're interested in some Arena action!
« Reply #299 on: December 30, 2010, 07:41:53 PM »
I had hoped to use Binder instead, but I think it might have to be Warlock at this point.
Are you worthy of Ascension?
Always accepting gladiators!  Now with a new and improved rule set!