Author Topic: Side Game: Guess the Twist  (Read 2381 times)

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
Side Game: Guess the Twist
« on: December 22, 2010, 03:11:50 AM »
Right. There has been a lot of speculation going on about what is what and what's going to happen.

Let's consolidate them here and see who is most correct at the end of the chapter.

No prize for winning other than bragging rights.

Epimetheus

• Bi-Curious George
Re: Side Game: Guess the Twist
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, 04:13:25 AM »
Do you swear you won't use our worst fears against us? :D There's nothing like suggesting the best way the DM can wipe out his players.

I predict that we choose to go into the forest to forage for food. It's difficult work, but we find food items (berries?) worth bringing back. We may encounter wolves or wolfen (and all survive, hopefully). I think we could try to avoid predators (or rather, scavengers?) if we don't carry any meat back. That said, being able to toss out meat as bait might help. But as there are no extradimensional spaces to store said meat..., that's probably not practical.

The above is what I hope would happen in a fairly straightforward campaign. If there are going to be twists, then...

One of the worst things I could speculate is that can happen is that we encounter wolfen, who convert us into wolfen as well. It's like a TPK, but a lot more fun for the (evil) DM.
An unlikely event is that Beren's creek is assaulted and overrun while we're away, but that'd just be really sad.

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 04:45:19 AM »
No, I won't use your worst fears against you unless it is already part of the story arc.

InnaBinder

• Grape ape
  • OnnaTable
    • Okay - - Your Turn: Monte Cook's Message Board
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2010, 10:05:37 AM »
My prediction:
[spoiler]The wolfen give us a difficult fight and, in so doing, chase us toward a previously unseen and unknown stranger, who is all but dead from exposure to the cold.  That stranger gives us information on the unnatural nature of this cold weather, either through his dying breath or in the contents of his meager belongings.  We (Andy hopes!) decide to investigate this information to see how much truth is in it and...[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 10:25:17 AM by InnaBinder »
Winning an argument on the internet is like winning in the Special Olympics.  You won, but you're still retarded.

I made a Handbook!?

Hallack

• Hong Kong
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2010, 10:08:04 AM »
Or, the elders of Beren's Creek has divided up the kids they like and dislike.  They have sent the dislikes out as a food sacrifice to the Wolfen or other threat so that they will not attack the village.  Guess who's the sacrifice hehe.
Placeholder - T'tosc

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2010, 10:16:22 AM »
The Wolfen, obviously, because I'm just too damned sexy to die. :P
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2010, 10:34:25 AM »
I say the wolf howl was to set the mood and ambiance and the party has freaked the fuck out over it.  :facepalm I guess I should have read the changes in the in game thread first.

Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

Hallack

• Hong Kong
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2010, 11:00:05 AM »
I say the wolf howl was to set the mood and ambiance and the party has freaked the fuck out over it.  :facepalm I guess I should have read the changes in the in game thread first.

Yes and Yes :P
Placeholder - T'tosc

Flay Crimsonwind

• Hong Kong
  • Watching the World Burn in Magnificence
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2010, 10:44:00 PM »
It was probably just a note on the surroundings, but I'd rather be prepared for the worst. And hey, we ARE supposed to be the younger, less powerful members of the village, it wouldn't be surprising that we would let our imagination get ahold of us, no matter how professional we are. This is trying times.

Epimetheus

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2010, 11:20:13 PM »
A (maximum) two week hunt gives plenty of time for some of us to go insane too. (Just like this smiley. :lol)

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2010, 12:36:35 AM »
First thought on the tracks: "Sounds kinda big. I don't think it would be a dire elk this early in game play, too high a CR. Our luck it is mostly eaten by wolves once we find it."
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

Shadowhunter

• Hong Kong
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2010, 01:01:48 PM »
Pffft, it's obviously a Were-Elk lumberjack. :smirk
[Spoiler]
Quote from: Runestar
the most effective optimization is the one you can actually get away with.  :smirk

Quote from: Vinom
(A group of nerds are called a murder because like crows we are anti-social, like shiny things, and often squack at each other over nothing for hours)

I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/quote]
[/spoiler]

Binder? You're Welcome

Zceryll makes Binders go from tier 3 to tier 2.
Cagemarrow is a Genius

Before giving the advice that build X would be better of with Fist of the Forest, take a long, good look at Primal Living. Twice.

Hallack

• Hong Kong
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2010, 01:53:19 PM »
That's just crazy.  It must be an Elk-were, not a were-elk.
Placeholder - T'tosc

mthor

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2010, 02:22:38 PM »
Your all just paranoid.... Obviously we find the deer, ask it nicely to die, take it back and enjoy steak n'frites along with hard cider.
The god of thunder....... yeah I'm the hammer

Just ask yourself..... W.W.T.D  what would Thor do
mthor, look what you did. You made people on the internet argue. We all hate you with a fiery passion, now. :P

Hallack

• Hong Kong
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2010, 02:34:50 PM »
We must be very careful.  It is probably a ninja elk clan luring us into an ambush.  I hear they actually remove and dual wield their antlers!!!!!
Placeholder - T'tosc

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2010, 11:48:59 PM »
We must be very careful.  It is probably a ninja elk clan luring us into an ambush.  I hear they actually remove and dual wield their antlers!!!!!
Don't be silly. Ninja elk will have a Monk's Unarmed Strike. They would TWF that and use the antlers as natural secondary weapons (complete with Multiattack and Improved Multiattack, since they would have the HD for those feats).

raith0

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2010, 02:49:35 PM »
Its not the Dire WereElk Ninja clan we should be worried about.  Its the Ninja/Cleric Penguins with the luck and cute domains.  Ever sceen Penguins of MAdagascar?  those 4 our nuts

I think we will take down the Elk the Wolves are just out and about gathering food for themselves im guessing being late summer one of the pups got a little seperated and one of them was calling it back in to the pack.  we will have a run in here after the elk with either the wall hunters or one of the elders that will take the meat to the town and we will then find the body/person with more info for us to look into may even be one of the hunters/elders