Author Topic: Prologue - The Hunt  (Read 11004 times)

InnaBinder

• Grape ape
  • OnnaTable
    • Okay - - Your Turn: Monte Cook's Message Board
Re: Prologue - The Hunt
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2010, 09:02:38 AM »
Without a word, Arcos nodded and fell in roughly 10' directly behind Ivarlan, so that Arcos had room to swing his weapon unimpeded if need be, while the archer was protected fore and aft from the wolves' pack tactics.
Winning an argument on the internet is like winning in the Special Olympics.  You won, but you're still retarded.

I made a Handbook!?

mthor

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2010, 10:42:41 AM »
Matt for the first time during the entire walk stopped talking. He slid up behind Ivarian, strangely touching every person in the group as he did so " what do you see?" he whispers.

OOC: Cast endure exposure on all allies I can in the time given.
The god of thunder....... yeah I'm the hammer

Just ask yourself..... W.W.T.D  what would Thor do
mthor, look what you did. You made people on the internet argue. We all hate you with a fiery passion, now. :P

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2010, 10:47:45 AM »
Carlos pulls his shortbow from his back and knocked an arrow to the string, though he kept his drawing hand free and raised to cast a spell.

[spoiler]Readying an action to cast a spell when at least 2 wolves come within 30 feet of my position.[/spoiler]
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

Hallack

• Hong Kong
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2010, 10:53:10 AM »
Hearing the wolves' howl Tosc's face showed a brief look of concern.  See nothing, Tosc says responding to Matt.   But wolves are up late or something has stirred them early.  Either way this is not time for their songs.  The spirits give us warning I think.  With that he limbered his handaxe looking as if to follow Ivarlan, then reconsidering he moved to follow the orc Tivus as skillfully maneuvered mirroring Ivarlan.

Tosc keeps an appropriate distance so as not to get in Tivus' way or ruin his stealth.

Spot: 1d20+9=19
Listen: Listen (1d20+9=10)   Wind picked up I guess.  Natrual 1.
Just in case they are needed.

[spoiler]That is of course assuming Tivus maneuvers as Ivarlan was wanting. [/spoiler]  
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 11:29:45 AM by Hallack »
Placeholder - T'tosc

Shadowhunter

• Hong Kong
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2010, 11:05:29 AM »
[spoiler]Now, I would really have liked an opportunity to have done this earlier this morning, in peace. But that's not an option now, is it. :p[/spoiler]

"Kim, give me a hand getting this of, will you?" She taps her thumb to the leather armor she's wearing. "The rest of you, keep your eyes to yourselves or better yet, on the look-out for those wolves" I can't believe I forgot to do this whilst time wasn't a luxury. "I should have done this earliest this morning. Stick close, I'm going to see my Goddess about a small blessing to up the odds, but the armor is in the way for the ritual. If I'm about to do this mistake again tomorrow, someone slap me." stupid, stupid, stupid. You know better girl, for the love of The Morrigan.
Her tone is reprimanding, it is quite unlike the cheery voice Shimala have been using up to this. She seems annoyed, and for the ones more perceptive, ashamed.

[spoiler]Will, if given time, cast a 24 hour Bless on the party. I'd be happy to include a description, but I'm not sure if I have the time before we are attacked. I _really_  should have specified that I usually cast this spell at the start of the day, so it would have been up and running right now, shouldn't I?[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 11:07:50 AM by Shadowhunter »
[Spoiler]
Quote from: Runestar
the most effective optimization is the one you can actually get away with.  :smirk

Quote from: Vinom
(A group of nerds are called a murder because like crows we are anti-social, like shiny things, and often squack at each other over nothing for hours)

I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/quote]
[/spoiler]

Binder? You're Welcome

Zceryll makes Binders go from tier 3 to tier 2.
Cagemarrow is a Genius

Before giving the advice that build X would be better of with Fist of the Forest, take a long, good look at Primal Living. Twice.

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2010, 11:48:04 AM »
Kim will deftly help Shimala remove her armor (and if time allows put it back on as well), while using her body to block the view of the boys. She will whisper to Shimala as she aids her:
Don't worry about it, too much to think about at once leads to forgetting things.

[changing to fuchsia from pink to be more readable.]
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

Mandoor

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2010, 02:24:16 PM »
Tivus nods to Ivarlan and moves to a flanking position 10' behind and to the right side of Ivarlan covering him with my bow readied.  I will always be 10' behind and to the side of him until his stops then I will slowly move up next to him to help with any listen and spot checks, if Ivarlan does not give me the stop signal which means he sees something and for me to get ready to shoot if needed.

When I move up will help Listen and Spot if Ivarlan has not seen or heard it.  

Think to himself: Is it just a Wolf in the far distance of something close that gots Ivarlan spooked

[spoiler]ooc: I am still new at this rolling thing because my other game is so slow that I have not had the chance to fully explore it.
Listen: 1d20+5=11
Spot: 1d20+4=18
[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 10:49:48 PM by Mandoor »

Epimetheus

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2010, 05:34:16 PM »
(Still new to this rolling thing too.)
[spoiler]Listen: 10, Spot: 12. http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2811588/[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Also, I'm assuming Wolfen have something to do with wolves, just judging by the name...[/spoiler]

Mildly distracted at the wolf's cry, and Matt's touch, Claude was worried... "Wolves?", he whispered, shivering slightly. "Or Wolfen?" It was implied that he thought someone might know, but the extreme passivity of the suggestion might have been lost on the group. Perhaps the hunters would understand his implication. He mentally cursed himself for his timidity...

Claude stepped in front of Kim and Shimala with his back to them. Shimala was undressing for some reason..., perhaps she had some more spells to cast. At any rate, it'd be indecent to stare, right? Besides, danger lurked out in this canyon. There was no need to be distracted.

Claude drew his beloved mandolin, stroking it softly, ready to unleash his power. He noted that many of the group might find this action extremely strange, so he felt the urge to explain. "I can wreathe your weapons in fire...," he said quietly to anyone listening, worried that the others might find him delusional. At this point, Claude was too embarrassed to explain further.

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2010, 05:55:09 PM »
Carlos clapped Claude on the shoulder in silent understanding, giving him a quick grin, before turning his attention back to the surroundings.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

Hallack

• Hong Kong
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2010, 06:09:21 PM »
[spoiler]I figure Tosc has not had any occasion to know of the extent of Claude's musical talents beyond perhaps hearing him timidly playing music occasionally around the village or at celebrations.  Hearing he can set weapons on fire would certainly be news.[/spoiler]

Tosc looked back over his shoulder upon hearing Claude, but only barely so due to the bard's timidity. You speak to the spirits of fire?  Well then, put that toy away and ready those spirits in case of their need. Yes?

Tosc, remembering times when he had considered trying to approach Claude more in the past finds himself wishing that he had, particularly with him being able to call on spirits.  The horrors that had befallen Claude's family shared many things with Tosc's own.  This both drew his interest and kept him away not wanting to delve into old pains.

I pray the spirits are just warning us and those sounds are not of the wolfen you mention, Tosc said as he turned his eyes and ears outward once more.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 06:11:33 PM by Hallack »
Placeholder - T'tosc

Epimetheus

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2010, 06:28:38 PM »
Claude smiled back sheepishly to Carlos, unable to really meet his eyes.

Turning to Tosc, Claude protested quietly, "I-it's not a toy..." From what he remembered about Tosc, the man had a certain connection (obsession?) with spirits. He supposed a diplomatic answer would have to suffice... "If it helps you understand, I need it... to channel their power."

Whether this was completely accurate was uncertain; magic and the supernatural were nearly impossible to explain anyway. Just like what caused this 'Age of Winter'... Claude shivered again, deep in thought. The air was thick with tension..., what danger lurked ahead?

Hallack

• Hong Kong
« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2010, 07:10:40 PM »
Tosc nods to Claude in seeming understanding or at least acceptance. Spirits speak in many ways.  If wood is your tool to speak with them that is good.
Placeholder - T'tosc

raith0

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2010, 08:44:52 PM »
[spoiler]was not able to post this morning due to oversleeping will be posting after my toddlers goes to bed as i cant think right now[/spoiler]

raith0

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2010, 10:27:04 PM »
Watching the movements of the other hunters Krak brings his axe in front of him as he moves to between the hunters and those casting spells knowing that they and thier abilities may be important if more than wolves are heading towards them.  

This may get interesting please be quick with the armor ladies.

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2811952/  Spot of 1

InnaBinder

• Grape ape
  • OnnaTable
« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2010, 11:15:16 PM »
Arcos squinted as he tried to see where the howling was coming from. "Anyone see anything?  I made the mistake of glancing at a torch. I'm fireblind out here."

[spoiler]Spot check: 1 + 2 = 3[/spoiler]
Winning an argument on the internet is like winning in the Special Olympics.  You won, but you're still retarded.

I made a Handbook!?

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2010, 03:17:48 AM »
As far as any of you can tell, there is nothing threatening in the immediate vicinity.

Listen 15+
[spoiler]The wolves are a long way away. You are not sure how far exactly, but they are not an immediate threat.[/spoiler]

Spot 15+
[spoiler]You think you make out the tracks of some creature in the pine needle strewn undergrowth. The bark of a few trees has been stripped up to a height of about six feet or so.[/spoiler]

Epimetheus

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2010, 03:57:30 AM »
The bard shifted uneasily... He couldn't sense any danger nearby, but the rest of the group seemed on edge. Perhaps it was just one of those mob mentality things. Having never foraged for food outside the impressive gates of Athanos either, Claude could understand everyone's unease. Still..., the group did have to go somewhere to find food.

[spoiler]Since we never chose a heading for where to look for food, I'm assuming we have been taking a brief rest, after our (2 hour) march through the canyon.[/spoiler]

The choice of the locations ahead seemed fairly straightforward. There was a beach, sea, and forest. The first two seemed unlikely, as sea plants would probably be on the less nutritious side. There might also be fish, but probably not the type worth eating, being this close to shore. That left the forest. Surely there had to be food in the forest. The wolves had to eat something after all. "The wolves may have to eat something.", he thought. "But so do we."

From the looks of it, others might have had the same idea, but he wished someone would decide clearly where they would go next...
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 04:23:05 AM by Epimetheus »

Flay Crimsonwind

• Hong Kong
  • Watching the World Burn in Magnificence
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2010, 04:14:45 AM »
After a short spot of looking into the woods, Ivarlan and Faolan gave each other looks of approval. Without turning back to the group, Ivarlan said, in a clear, strong voice, "Nothing close. We should start tracking for food immediately."

Then, slowly standing straight, he turned his head back, and with an odd, friendly smile, said "Do not be nervous. We were not chosen because we are meek. We were chosen because we are capable." With that, the hood came up, and he and his wolf started forward, at the tracks they spotted. "I will get a head start, and stay ahead. The hunters are quieter, and should move farther ahead to spot quarry."

[spoiler]
With that being said, I'll be moving quietly, using survival to track the things in the snow, with my wolf doing the same and alerting me to his findings.
Survival:
Faolan's assist: 16, Grants +2 to my tracking
Survival (to Track): 10

..... frustrating that my superior skill checks get worse rolls than my wolves lower checks, but whatever. Maybe I should assist him.  :p[/spoiler]

InnaBinder

• Grape ape
  • OnnaTable
« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2010, 10:11:16 AM »
Arcos fans out roughly 10' to the left of Ivarlan's position and walks after him, making sure to stay at least 20' behind so he's not disturbed by the psychic warrior's presence.  All the while, Arcos is blinking rapidly to clear the afterimage of the torch light and regain his outdoor vision.

I made a Handbook!?

Hallack

• Hong Kong
« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2010, 10:58:52 AM »
As the more stealthy hunters take the lead Tosc ranges behind with the others as they begin to move again.  At one point he turns to his side and "shooshes" the empty next to him.  Probably seeing quizzical looks he simply shrugs and explains, "He talks to much and we are hunting".
Placeholder - T'tosc