Author Topic: Build overload :| (Cry for Help)  (Read 4186 times)

Abner

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
Build overload :| (Cry for Help)
« on: December 20, 2010, 01:05:41 AM »
I am not terribly good at optimizing, and when I really only do it well with Arcane casters, and I try to improve a little each time
 But in a narrow scope of things my ability with making Beatsticks, Ranged Cannons, and almost anything else has floundered, and I get overloaded  because I loose concept
And I am just a tad bit tired of playing the HP truck in the back firing spells off when, I could be the flesh wall in the front mass killing mooks.
So help with a character for a one shot rematch in the future would be appreciated .

Character creation rules:
32 point buy.  regular LA Buyoff is allowed (Check the unearthed arcana for that).
Level 20.
Pretty much anything 3.5 WotC dnd. No Dragon Mag, no third party.
What I would Like
What I really want is a Totem Rager.(Doesn't have to be would be preferred)
The Ability to close the gap between me and BBEG
Not get raped by the BBEG's wave of debuff, amf, and Book of weeabo fighting magic melee abilities, and to bypass its almost perfect immunities.
Simplicity, if things get overly complicated, then it doesn't work for me even with my arcane casters they focus on one goal   

What I don't want
Obscene Multiclassing from hell, makes my brain numb. Too much too write ect.
Natural attacks, we had 4 unarmed fighters last time.
Munchkiny tactics, because my DM has a nuclear silo in his back pocket at all times

Thanks in advance  :banghead

Solo

• Organ Grinder
  • Solo the Sorcelator, at your service
Re: Build overload :| (Cry for Help)
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2010, 01:10:18 AM »
How do you feel about making people crap their pants when you get really angry?

"I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down!"

The Legend RPG, which I worked on and encourage you to read.

Abner

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2010, 01:12:40 AM »
It would be awesome,
  But generally the BBEG has the typical immunities of one which the negative energy good saves across the board , spell resistance, mind effects, and such.
So I am not sure how it would work out.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 01:18:03 AM by Abner »

the_shadowmind

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2010, 01:48:59 AM »
It would be awesome,
  But generally the BBEG has the typical immunities of one which the negative energy good saves across the board , spell resistance, mind effects, and such.
So I am not sure how it would work out.

So empowered orbs of force/wings of flurry/maw of chaos?

Abner

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2010, 02:17:04 AM »
I did that last time, it worked out well but the two tarrasque's one of which was on a ceiling was a bit more than I could handle, along with the BBEG, so I kind of want to play a beat stick. :|

BruceLeeroy

• Curious George
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2010, 02:18:34 AM »
I did that last time, it worked out well but the two tarrasque's one of which was on a ceiling was a bit more than I could handle, along with the BBEG, so I kind of want to play a beat stick. :|

Shadow pouncing Hood. 6 full attacks per round. Look at Endaire's Hood handbook for reference.

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2010, 02:46:41 AM »
So... you want to be a Totem Rager, but don't want natural attacks... I guess that's doable but rather unoptimal. Use the soulmelds to get a fear effect and some utility/immunities. Stack that on top of a charging/hood build, trigger a bunch of stacking fear effects, etc. Even then, the Totem Rager levels won't give you much that couldn't be better accomplished with straight totemist or barbarian, or heck just slap some Warblade in there so you can at least IHS. That plus the barbarian feat that lets you shake off one effect and you're good to go.
---
"The late, sedate, and no to great." ~Surreal

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.
Archived version of the above with working links

The Mango Index - a giant index for all things D&D and where to find them
The Mango List Reborn! - rehosted by KellKheraptis

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities
Alternative Class Features
alternative ways to get class skills

Abner

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2010, 05:25:17 AM »

Shadow pouncing Hood. 6 full attacks per round. Look at Endaire's Hood handbook for reference.

I am assuming the Hood means Hooded Pupil from LM :| ? And isn't that like an La +9 ? with the UA buy off rules I would be missing some levels, and wealth at that rate.

Runestar

• King Kong
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2010, 05:34:24 AM »
Hood is a charging build promoted by Endaire. Look for him, the link to the build is in his signature. Or wait for him to post, he will surely recommend it.  :P
A clear conscience is the surest sign of a failing memory.

Abner

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2010, 05:39:21 AM »
Oh that thing on the WotC Board , but it is so hard to read in that format and hurts my eyes but I shall try ?

Ed-Zero

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2010, 03:17:50 PM »

Just 6? You can get far far more than that. If that's the most "Hood" can do then there is better.

Abner

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2010, 04:31:06 PM »
Unarmed TWF +35/+35/+30/+30/+25/+25
Claws  +32/+32/+32/+32
Tentacles +32/+32
and each one of these dealt 2 negative levels.
was the average number of attacks.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 04:34:07 PM by Abner »

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2010, 06:56:06 PM »
The guide:
http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=2943.0
... has a build. And lots of discussion about exactly this.

Barb 2 / Totemist 2 either/or is as good a start as any.
Higher level game play begs for some casting, but it doesn't have to be you.

BruceLeeroy

• Curious George
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2010, 05:18:40 AM »

Just 6? You can get far far more than that. If that's the most "Hood" can do then there is better.

Well, no. The Hood is more of a generic idea. I said six full attacks because for some reason I assumed he wouldn't need more than 2 per enemy. He mentioned 2 tarrasques and the BBEG. If he can pop each enemy with 2 full attacks at L20, he should wipe them out.

Although, most DM's start frothing at the mouth when you begin executing multiple full attacks in a round sans battle belt. Soo, YMMV.

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2010, 08:30:31 PM »
I'm running the game, and the tarrasque's aren't standard. (6 instances of toughness, wtf?). Some things they DO know from last time they went up against the encounter as far as immunities: Fire, negative energy, energy drain, fear, mind-affecting, and the reflective carapace is as the Tarrasque entry. The ability to bring about ranged attacks is weak for the NPCs, but they are decently mobile and there's a limited amount of space in the cavern they fight in. The NPCs also have a halfway decent caster providing support.

Some examples of what the party used last time, to get a feel for their power range: A psion/thrallherd fusioned with a wizard/monk/swiftblade cohort, a totemist souleater who tried maxing numbers of attacks each round, a DMM:Persisting cleric saint, a scout/ranger/ardent using dissolving weapon on his arrows for an extra 4d6 acid damage, and a dragonwrought kobold sorcerer using wings of flurry, et al.

I've asked that they stay away from the TO and near TO stuff (circular CL boosting, loredrake, chuck, TBOS, anything Kell has ever posted, etc) because it makes it not fair to the other PCs when I step up my game in return. Shadow pouncing Hoods are perfectly fine, though, unless they do RKV fourty-pounce-per-round stuff, because then it turns into contingency rocket tag.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2010, 03:11:42 AM »
My first thought was a Trancer Hood (see sig) since it gets you L9 spells, 16 BAB, and a lot of damage.

Happy entrails!
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

Abner

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2010, 04:18:26 AM »
Yeah, I am not trying to break anything just trying to tie my desires together.
Also I wasn't A Dragonwrough kobold sorcerer I was A Sorcerer/Walker in the Waste/ Paladin
so you wouldn't mutilate me through gygaxian dnd.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 05:07:13 AM by Abner »

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2010, 10:11:46 AM »
I don't think there were any saves, besides those two spells though,neither of which were SoD/SoS. It was mostly just huge bruisers in a semi-enclosed space. As far as people with a low enough AC to get hit on a regular basis, you held up pretty good, actually. The Maze was a nice touch.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

Abner

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2010, 03:52:37 PM »
If, I can't win why fight ? xD The tarrasque is on the ceiling like spider pig, is a horrifying concept.