Author Topic: Dead Earth: The Beginning  (Read 38389 times)

maggieloo72

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • I'm a newbie...
    • Email
Re: Dead Earth: The Beginning
« Reply #80 on: February 08, 2011, 10:12:52 PM »
"Yeah, let's hurry up and go! I only have a 2 shots left and don't want to wait around for another conflict." She quickly grabs her jacket, the bread, and a couple liquor bottles. Shoving the former barricade out of the way, she sharply looks and listens once at the doorway.
[spoiler]Spot check: 1d20+8=18  Grr.
Listen check: 1d20+10=22 [/spoiler]

shallowesoul

• *maniacal laugh*
« Reply #81 on: February 08, 2011, 10:32:10 PM »
as the others quickly gather their things to leave for the truck; Hudson wraps up the tablecloth to make a makeshift sack and ties it closed to carry it on his back. "I dont think trying to see it will help. its pitch black out there! and for all we know there isn't anything out there, other than a horde of those infected bastards. I say we just bolt for the truck, and get the hell out of here as fast as we can. cause I for one, don't intend on finding out what made that noise and made those things run in fear."
let the past be left unchanged, for it is a lesson of what our future is bound to be.

Gnomeo

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #82 on: February 09, 2011, 04:37:34 AM »
With an armful of liquor, Chuck follows Lily to the door, checks to see if the coast is clear, and heads straight for the fire truck.

[spoiler]Listen (1d20+5=11)
Spot (1d20+5=6)  :o[/spoiler]
The next thing I say to you will be true.
The last thing I said was false.

ragincajun2288

• Bi-Curious George
  • I think I'm getting pretty good.
    • Email
« Reply #83 on: February 09, 2011, 09:24:45 PM »
Indeed the party realizes Hudson may be correct. It's almost pitch black out despite the few lamps of a street lights beyond the fire truck. It's as if the night itself intends to swallow the rest of the urban jungle. There are shapes out there though, most of them indistinguishable but some appear to be moving. The only noise is the scrambling of feet and the clicking sound that now sounds quite close.

Chuck swings open the fire truck door and hops in, dropping the bottles of liquor all over the floorboard as he grabs the wheel and presses the gas pedal down.

The engine does not rev and the clicking sound is so loud if fills Chuck's ears. Chuck looks down at the dash as he curses aloud. Hudson and Lily hop in the other side and both look at him expectantly, hopefully.

Chuck breathes loudly, "We still have gas, diesel can run for a long time thank God but the battery is too dead to start. I have a jump kit in the back seat though, we can open the hood and...". He pauses and listens. The clicking sound has gone but there is something moving in front of the fire truck. He then realizes that if the battery has a little power he can at least turn on the lights. His hand shakes as he reaches to the lights. Hudson puts a hand on his shoulder and they look at each other for a second, it looks as if Hudson almost shakes his head then he removes his hand and looks forward.

Chuck turns on the head lights and everyone sees this caught in the lights.

Upon being caught in the light the creature makes a horrendous sound and leaps out of the lights range towards a building. The party loses sight of it and doesn't hear anything further. They all turn and look at each other, it's obvious the incident has shaken everyone.
Playing Pingo, in The Artifact Prologue.

Running Dead Earth for my old table top group.

maggieloo72

• I'm a newbie...
    • Email
« Reply #84 on: February 09, 2011, 09:57:36 PM »
"Oh sweet Mother Mary..." Lily murmurs, her voice noticeably trembling. She takes a deep breath. "So, jumping the battery. How can we do it without attracting those things? Some sort of distraction?"

shallowesoul

• *maniacal laugh*
« Reply #85 on: February 09, 2011, 10:21:59 PM »
"holy shit! what the fuck was that thing?" Hudson nearly falls backwards into the seat behind him after seeing the creature that was in the headlights for a brief moment. "I have a really bad feeling we aren't out of this thing yet. but whatever it is it doesn't seem to like bright lights." Hudson thinks for a moment and remembers that he has the makings of a Molotov. he quickly scrambles for one of the bottles, takes the cap off of it and stuffs a rag inside the top. he then looks around in his jacket pockets hoping he has his lighter. and after a few seconds he finds it. "I think this will help if the thing tries to attack us. I guess I'll try and use the jump kit so we can get out of here since I'm the least beat up. so just pop the hood for me Chuck. but in case that thing tries to come at me after I light the Molotov, I think it would be a good idea if you would let me use your sidearm so I can take it out faster."

[spoiler]do I really need a demolitions check? if so here it is-1d20+10=24
also I'm going to ready an action so if that thing tries to attack I'll light the Molotov, and throw it towards the creature and after throwing Hudson will pull both weapons(if lily handed me her side arm) otherwise just mine.
and here's my strength check for the throw-1d20+1=3[/spoiler]
let the past be left unchanged, for it is a lesson of what our future is bound to be.

Gnomeo

« Reply #86 on: February 10, 2011, 02:04:20 PM »
Chuck closes his eyes for a few heartbeats.  Unable to reconcile his current situation to his understanding of what is normal, he opens his eyes and says: "No, I should be the one to do it.  I know the truck and how to get it running.  Besides, I've already been bitten.  I can't let that happen to one of you as well."

Chuck reaches back and collects his set of irons, removing the axe from the carrying strap.  He then gets the jump kit and pulls the hood release.  After a moment to ready himself, he opens the driver's side door and jumps out into the street; holding the axe in one hand and the jump kit in the other.  He takes a moment to search the area before pushing the door closed and rounding the front of the truck to the engine compartment.

[spoiler]Spot (1d20+5=13)
Listen (1d20+5=11)

Status
HP 14 (bitten)
AC 15[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 02:56:32 PM by Gnomeo »

shallowesoul

• *maniacal laugh*
« Reply #87 on: February 10, 2011, 05:32:12 PM »
As Chuck leaves the cab of the truck Hudson looks around the area to try and keep an eye out for the creature; so that there isn't much of a chance of the thing sneaking up on him. Hudson sits in the drivers seat to try and start the engine when he gives the "OK". he also keeps a tight grip on the bottle of booze that he made into a molotov.

[spoiler]spot-1d20+4=19
listen-1d20+2=7
Hudson still readies an action to open the drivers door, and throw the molotov should it try to approach.
range touch(should it be needed)-1d20+4=11
damage-1d6+4=5 :fu
HP-15
AC-22[/spoiler]

maggieloo72

• I'm a newbie...
    • Email
« Reply #88 on: February 10, 2011, 09:51:41 PM »
"Be careful!" Lily, too, looks out the windows and tries to spot any possible threats to Chuck. We can't lose him yet, she thinks.
[spoiler]Spot check: 1d20+8=22
Listen? (circumstance modifier needed): 1d20+10=20 bleh![/spoiler]

ragincajun2288

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #89 on: February 11, 2011, 03:58:54 AM »
Chuck reaches the hood of the fire truck. He sees nothing moving close by but truth be told after the dim lights of the street lamps and the dying truck it was pretty much an abyss. Anything could be out there. He listens for trouble but the only sound is the whistling of the wind. He pops open the hood and begins to set up the cables.

Hudson squints as he looks out into the darkness from the truck. He can make out shapes, the shapes of cars and a fire hydrant and what he slowly realizes are the shapes of many bodies lying on the ground. The dead. He shuddered. As long as they didn't get back up. He listens as well but hears nothing of any use. The night is now eerie silent. Too quiet you could say.

Lily looks out the window, searching hard for any detail that might stand out. She looked hard but saw nothing out of the ordinary. Listening hard she still heard nothing but the whistling of the wind. Whatever that thing was it could move silently if it was still out there. Just when she was about to give up she caught sight of something. Experience had taught her well. She picked out shape that shouldn't belong, something moving on the building nearby. Something...crawling on the building side.

Chuck looks down as he is about to hit the switch. One switch and the heat would be on.

Gnomeo

« Reply #90 on: February 11, 2011, 07:40:38 PM »
Chuck draws in a short breath as he flips the switch, praying for one thing to go right today.  "Alright, hit it!"

[spoiler]Status
HP 14 (bitten)
AC 15[/spoiler]

maggieloo72

• I'm a newbie...
    • Email
« Reply #91 on: February 11, 2011, 11:47:42 PM »
"Chuck!" Lily taps the windshield. "There's something out there--on side of the building! Hurry, we need to get out of here!"

Lily looks back to where she had seen the thing crawling. She tries to follow its movements, see what it is.
[spoiler]1d20+8=13 ..or not.[/spoiler]

shallowesoul

• *maniacal laugh*
« Reply #92 on: February 12, 2011, 11:51:36 AM »
as Chuck gives the OK to start the engine Hudson turns the ignition to start the truck, and turns the headlights on to try and show whats nearby. in hopes that it will run.

ragincajun2288

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #93 on: February 13, 2011, 02:57:26 AM »
The fire truck revs up immediately but as soon as it does Lily sees the shape jump from the building side and disappear into the darkness. As Chuck begins to run around the side of the truck the monstrosity suddenly appears in the head lights behind him.

"Chuck"! Hudson yells as he leans out the window and throws his molotov at the creature. He misses but fire erupts from the bottle as it shatters onto the ground and some of it splashes near the creature, maybe even on it. The...thing screeches and jumps into the darkness once more. Chuck wastes no time and continues to move, nearly stumbling as he wrenches open the door and hops in.

"Time to go", Chuck says, noting the fire truck is quite loud in the deafening silence of the dead city.

But the question is, where to now?

Suddenly something slams into the side of the fire truck and Lily see's many shapes emerging from the darkness. Infected.

[spoiler]

You guys are in a part of Old West Town, that's where the bus crashed as you guys were returning to your residential areas.

[/spoiler]

maggieloo72

• I'm a newbie...
    • Email
« Reply #94 on: February 14, 2011, 12:33:27 AM »
"Hudson, which way to your shop? If we don't get out of here soon, we'll be surrounded again. And maybe we can kill the lights once we're in the clear?... If there is such a thing."

shallowesoul

• *maniacal laugh*
« Reply #95 on: February 14, 2011, 05:48:37 PM »
Hudson floors the gas and drives in the direction to his shop."my shop isn't far from here maybe a 5-10 minute drive under these circumstances. Ill try to get us there quickly to avoid any other conflicts." Hudson then looks ahead fixated on the road to try and avoid other cars or infected that may be in the way.

[spoiler]drive-1d20+4=16
navigate-1d20+3=5 :shakefist
spot-1d20+4=14[/spoiler]

Gnomeo

« Reply #96 on: February 14, 2011, 07:15:05 PM »
"Just treat her nice, and she'll get us there."  Chuck waits for his heart rate to slow before pulling the medkit out of the back seat.  The conditions aren't optimal for treatment, but he figures they won't get any better.  Indicating the alcohol on the floor, he says: "Lily, hand be one of those bottles."  After a few swallows to calm his nerves, and a liberal splash on the wound site, Chuck removes his coat and takes the necessary supplies from the kit to treat the bite on his shoulder; first treating it for disease, then patching it up as best he can.

"With your permission, Lily, I'd like to see to those scratches.  You wouldn't want them to get...infected...  OK, poor choice of words, but let me fix you up anyway.  Our driver will have to wait until we stop for his band-aid."

[spoiler]Actions
Treat Injury (treat disease) on himself (DC 15, +5 penalty for self-treatment =20), Treat Disease (1d20+12=19) plus an action point: Action Point (1d6=5) for a total 24 (success)
[spoiler]I refuse to miss that by 1.[/spoiler]

Treat Injury (restore hit points) on himself (DC 15, +5 penalty for self-treatment =20), take 10 result: 22 (success) HP Gained (Chuck) (1d4=2)

Treat Injury (restore hit points) on Lily (DC 15), take 10 result: 22 (success) HP Gained (Lily) (1d4=2)

Status
HP: 16 (bitten, bonus on next save vs. disease)
AC: 15
Action Points: 9[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 03:51:46 PM by Gnomeo »

ragincajun2288

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #97 on: February 15, 2011, 01:58:09 AM »
Hudson curses under his breathe as he dodges cars that have stopped in all angles of the road. The fire truck slams into the corner of one car and sends it spinning to one side of the road. Everyone bounces in the cab as the fire truck runs something over and Chuck roars as liquor spills everywhere in the cab.

"What are you doing", Lily yells.

"This isn't easy", Hudson yells back. He squints his eye's as he tries to look ahead in the dim light of the street lights as he drives toward his shop. Once he is sure they have shaken off any infected and lost any others he slows down a little, but only a little, he is sure the sound of the fire engine draws ears.

Chuck uses the down time to quickly treat his and Lily's wounds. He suddenly yawns and Lily yawns in return. It's late, or very early in the morning if you prefer and nobody has slept much. What a day, what a night.

He finishes treating the wound and patching both him and Lily up a bit, not the idea conditions, but extended care would have to wait.

"We're here". Chuck looks up as Hudson pulls to a stop in front of his gun store.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 02:16:41 AM by ragincajun2288 »

maggieloo72

• I'm a newbie...
    • Email
« Reply #98 on: February 15, 2011, 04:15:05 AM »
"Thanks for that," Lily says to Chuck. "How's that bite treating you?"
As they pull in front of the shop, Lily tries to look through the darkness around the truck and at the shop for signs of the infected.
[spoiler]Spot check: 1d20+8=17
Listen: 1d20+10=12[/spoiler]
She turns to Hudson and asks, "Think we're safe to spend the rest of the night here?"

shallowesoul

• *maniacal laugh*
« Reply #99 on: February 15, 2011, 09:33:59 AM »
"I don't know for sure right now if Lee closed the shop when all this started to happened. it should be safe there but if he got caught in the madness, I'm not sure what all will be in there. but for the time being i think i should go look first, so if he is in there he wont try to kill us." Hudson climbs out the truck, and slowly walks over to the shop to try and look in the windows to see any signs of Lee or the infected.

[spoiler]move silently-1d20+10=26
spot-1d20+4=14[/spoiler]

After his look in the windows Hudson pulls outs his keys to try and unlock the door so he can enter the shop. with his hand readily on the pistol, he opens the door and prepares for whatever may be in his shop.