Author Topic: Dead Earth: The Beginning  (Read 38377 times)

Gnomeo

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
Re: Dead Earth: The Beginning
« Reply #320 on: July 11, 2011, 05:01:09 PM »
Chuck looks over Hudson's injury, trying to mask the frown appearing on his face.  "Hmph.  Not much I can do about a puncture wound, but I'll do my best."  He pulls out his medical kit and wraps bandages around the wound as best he can, but without the proper supplies Chuck is sure that the bandage won't help much.
The next thing I say to you will be true.
The last thing I said was false.

ragincajun2288

• Bi-Curious George
  • I think I'm getting pretty good.
    • Email
« Reply #321 on: July 12, 2011, 12:57:53 AM »
Chuck sneaks over to the corner of the building and looks down to see three Infected roaming the area, turning their heads left and right and appearing to sniff the air. No...they are sniffing the air, searching for them and probably one screech would send momma this way.

Like a cat Hudson moves behind Chuck and keeps as ear out. He hears the sound of the helicopter from earlier but it's fading and moving back towards the police station. Hopefully their friend Lily is safe. Looking below he sees at least once Infected near a dumpster.

Chuck turns and wraps a bandage around his arm to keep it from bleeding. The pain is still there but at least the blood flow ceases. A good thing Chuck thinks when he sees the Infected in his mind sniffing the air. The scent of human blood would probably drive them to a frenzy.

The woman squints her eyes at Lily. "I am not obligated to tell you anything", she remarks coolly in her heavy accent, "And surely you are not thinking of returning to that area", she points to the police station, "The Creaper is upon them and there is a lunatic in there? You would be mad". She looks at her from the corner of her eye. "Then again...madness is something that can be harnessed". She turns to Lily and the Officer and holds out two syringes. "I offer you both a chance at something new. This is the virus, modified. It will either kill you or make you something else, the choice is yours whether to take it or not".

The Officer moves first, reaching out hesitantly and grabbing the syringe. He then injects it into himself. Seconds go by, seeming like forever as they wait. Then without warning the police officer falls to his knees, holding his stomach as he begins screaming in pain. Then he falls on his face, vomit and blood pouring from his mouth.

The woman grabs his gun from the holster and puts a bullet in his head before Lily can make a move. "Easy now girl. He is dead already and we have to make sure he didn't come back". Her eyes drop. "This is hopeless...unless you can survive. What choice will you make? I will not judge if you decline, I myself, am too cowardly to do this".
Playing Pingo, in The Artifact Prologue.

Running Dead Earth for my old table top group.

Gnomeo

« Reply #322 on: July 13, 2011, 06:11:35 PM »
After applying the bandage, Chuck says: "One good thing about this particular puncture wound: Since the creature hit you with a bone, you don't have to worry about tetanus."  Chuck thinks for a moment, before looking up from Hudson's wound.  "Seeing those Infected sniffing around gives me an idea.  Let's see how stupid they are.  I'm going to try to distract them out of the alley with sound and a false scent trail."

Chuck changes his own bandages, now soaked with his blood, and wraps them around a brass knuckle for weight.  He takes aim for a window across the street to the south, and throws it as hard as he can.

Actions
[spoiler]Hit the window: Brass Knuckle Bomb (1d20+4=21)
Damage(?): Bomb Damage (1d3+4=7)
Thanks to the Sunder feat, Chuck deals double damage to objects, so that becomes 14, and Chuck ignores 2 points of hardness.
Str check for distance(?): Bomb Distance (1d20+6=10)

I'm sure there are penalties to the attack roll for distance, but I think he got it.[/spoiler]
Status
[spoiler]HP: 14 (bitten)
AC: 16
Action Points: 8
+8 on next Fortitude save vs. disease[/spoiler]

maggieloo72

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • I'm a newbie...
    • Email
« Reply #323 on: July 14, 2011, 11:37:56 PM »
Lily watches in horror as her only remaining companion falls dead to the ground. "This is the virus that killed and mutated so many and you want me to inject myself with it? What makes you think I'll survive when he didn't?" She looks around the alley and thinks of Chuck and Hudson. Were they at the hospital yet; were they safe? "I have two friends I need to find. I'll take the syringe, but I might wait to inject. Honestly, I'm feeling a bit cowardly myself. Which way are you going?"

[spoiler]Listen: 1d20+10=25
Spot:1d20+8=16
*Intuition (is the injection a good idea?): become a zombieee??? (1d20+8=22)
[/spoiler]

Status
[spoiler]HP: 6
AC: 19
AP: 10[/spoiler]

ragincajun2288

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #324 on: July 16, 2011, 02:23:38 AM »
Chuck rigs up the item and tosses it through the air. It sails across the street to crash against the window and into the shop. Immediately he hears screeching from below. Risking a small peek he sees Infected battering at the steel door to the building, trying to gain entrance into the shop where his bandages and knuckles now reside in.

The woman shakes her head at Lily. "You take the syringe now, or I take it with me, I might need it later if the situation looks dire enough; it will either kill you or make you stronger. I'm fleeing the city and you should too. I give it eight more hours before a nuclear bomb is dropped here. At least eight but no more than twelve". From the police station more gunshots are heard and the screams of people most certainly dying. The lady turns to leave. "Good luck if you are turning back, you have more heart than anyone I know".

[spoiler]In answer to your intuition check. You have neither a good feeling, nor a bad feeling, only a feeling that something monumental will happen if you survive.[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 02:35:54 AM by ragincajun2288 »

maggieloo72

• I'm a newbie...
    • Email
« Reply #325 on: July 18, 2011, 04:04:04 AM »
Lily hesitates. What am I thinking? Taking a potentially lethal syringe from a stranger? Especially after the cop's reaction... But how can I make it to the hospital from here, alone, and likely surrounded by hungry undead? Did she really even have any choice other than death in this sick game that her life had become? Hand slightly shaking, Lily reaches for the syringe. "A-Alright. Unfortunately, my chances of survival are slim as it is. Hopefully this will change that." She puts her Desert Eagle in its strap.
Uncomfortably looking at the contents, Lily puts the needle to her skin and injects. She closes her eyes as the foreign substance enters her body. Oh, God, help me!

[spoiler]Fortitude save? -- SURVIVE AND THRIVE! (1d20+2=16)[/spoiler]

[spoiler]HP: 6
AC: 19

Gnomeo

« Reply #326 on: July 18, 2011, 03:03:43 PM »
As the brass knuckle sails through the air, Chuck gets a glimpse of his father when they used to play catch.  "Don't throw it at me, throw it through me," he used to say.  "That's it.  Bingo!"  A blink of an eye later the brass knuckle crashes through the window, right on target.

"Bingo.  Let's get moving while they're distracted.  We've probably got just a few minutes before they calm down."  Chuck heads to the fire escape opposite the one they ascended, and after a quick look to see if the coast is clear, heads down as fast as he can manage. 

Actions
[spoiler]Spot (1d20+8=28)
Accelerated Climb (1d20+4=16) if successful, Chuck descends 30'
[/spoiler]
Status

shallowesoul

• *maniacal laugh*
« Reply #327 on: July 20, 2011, 03:16:49 AM »
Hudson climbs down the ladder following Chuck quietly so as to not draw the attention of any infected that may have not fallen for the distraction.
Actions
[spoiler]Climb-1d20+1=9
Move Silently-1d20+12=23[/spoiler]
let the past be left unchanged, for it is a lesson of what our future is bound to be.

ragincajun2288

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #328 on: July 21, 2011, 03:20:32 AM »
[spoiler]Lily I need four more fortitude saves from you. Cross your fingers too, this could be it for you, or it could be a new beginning.[/spoiler]

As soon as Chuck sees the Infected are distracted he turns and hauls ass, jumping on the ladder and sliding down, landing on the dumpster as quietly as he can. Hudson struggles to keep up, holding on to the last couple rungs as Chuck jumps to the ground below and looks both ways to make sure the coast is clear. There was nothing in sight...for now. The alley way is clear but on the side of the building the Infected can be heard screeching and beating against the door as if all life depended on it. The hospital was only down the road and to the north on a large lawn. Chuck turns and looks down the street but see's nothing for the moment. Ahead he sees a small grassy hill and the hospital building, a small brick wall circling around it, giving way only to small streets entering from several directions. The wall was small enough for a good jumper to leap onto though, so it was surely climbable.

maggieloo72

• I'm a newbie...
    • Email
« Reply #329 on: July 21, 2011, 03:44:49 AM »
[spoiler]Fortitude saves: (1d20+2=16), 1d20+2=19, 1d20+2=13, 1d20+2=22, 1d20+2=6 [/spoiler]

Gnomeo

« Reply #330 on: July 21, 2011, 01:50:44 PM »
<Those Infected won't be fooled for long.>  Unwilling to waste the opportunity, Chuck motions for Hudson to follow and breaks for the wall surrounding the hospital.  Gauging the height as he approaches, Chuck decides to try jumping onto it.  He once jumped a 15-foot alley between buildings carrying an 8-year-old girl when one of the buildings was coming down; so this should be easy.  <Famous last words.  Nothing is easy anymore.>

Actions
[spoiler]High Jump using Extreme Effort: Jump onto the wall (1d20+9=23)
Assuming no other modifiers, that's a vertical jump of 5 feet.  If that isn't enough to get to the top, Chuck will grab onto the wall and Climb the rest of the way: Climb (1d20+7=24)  Assuming Chuck can get up there, he will wait to help Hudson over if necessary.[/spoiler]
Status

shallowesoul

• *maniacal laugh*
« Reply #331 on: July 21, 2011, 09:23:09 PM »
Hudson follows Chuck close behind with his pistols in both hands ready for anything to go wrong. as they approach the wall Hudson cant help but laugh to himself watching Chuck trying to run up it. after a second of watching Chuck, Hudson too attempts to run up and climb the wall.
Actions
[spoiler]Jump-1d20+3=15
Climb-1d20+1=21[/spoiler]
let the past be left unchanged, for it is a lesson of what our future is bound to be.

ragincajun2288

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #332 on: July 22, 2011, 08:46:05 PM »
Lily takes the syringe and looks at it for a moment. In the background noise she hears a mingled cacophony of gunfire, screams, and what she thinks is the hysterically laughing of that pyschotic Lee. What the hell's up with that anyway? Was she a magnet for crazies or what? Now people are dying, innocent people.

Well this is her chance to put a stop to all of it.

Lily injects the needle into her skin and pushes on the plunger. She pulls it out and looks up to the woman. Seconds fill like forever. "Nothing so fa-".Her words are cut off as she gasps for air, suddenly feeling as if her breathe had been knocked from her. Lily chokes and gasps for air, falling to her kneels, her blood is on fire and she fills as if it's boiling in her veins. The syringe falls from her hands and she watches it slowly falls towards the ground, bouncing away ever so slowly. Her hands are at her throat as if feels as if an invisible giant were choking the life from her. Before she can react the woman has snatched her gun from her holster and is holding it with the officer's gun now, both aimed at her.

Lily gasps and falls on her face, convulsing. <Not like this>, she thinks to herself as she watches a rat scurry down the
dirty alley way. <Not like this...>

"Prashu tebla", the Russian accented lady whispers pointing the gun down at Lily's head. As she moves to pull the trigger however Lily stirs.
"nikoim obrazom". she whispers fervently, stepping backwards as Lily stands up in front of her.

Lily can't help but notice the woman has taken her gun. She also notices the woman is slow so without really thinking about
it she whips her hand out and disarms the woman, pulling her gun back. "I believe this is mine".

The woman is stunned at first but then breaks into a smile. "It's worked".

[spoiler]Lily was injected with a form of the virus. The virus that Chuck is struggling with now. However this form forced you to battle on the spot for your life. Lily is now Infected without the symptoms, thus she is now immune to the virus. She now also has a permanent +1 to her dexerity and constitution modifier. Don't forget how this affects stats and skills. Her wounds have also regenerated, you are at full HP.[/spoiler]

Chuck wastes no time and immediately begins hauling ass down the street, Hudson close in tow. As Chuck reaches the wall he jumps into the air, sailing up and throwing a hand down to the wall to literally vault over it. Hudson follows after, jumping up and pulling himself up to roll over the wall and fall to his feet. They both look up see the hospital on the hill.

Suddenly gunfire is heard from inside. Chuck and Hudson look at each other with surprised, wide eyes. Was it possible that their were still people inside? Before they can move though three people exit from the building. Hard looking men with blood on their clothes and... military rifles?

maggieloo72

• I'm a newbie...
    • Email
« Reply #333 on: July 24, 2011, 08:14:46 PM »
Lily looks down at her (now undead?) body with a sense of shock and revival. She felt strong again--no, stronger than ever before--and quick, lithe even. It was like being reborn. Well, the opposite, in fact, she thought. "Yeah.. I guess it did work... I feel great! But what now? Is there anything special I need to know about?" As she waits for her answer, she moves to the exit of the alley and looks around the streets, taking in her surroundings with tingling new senses. What now, indeed, she thinks. Back to the police station? Could I risk it with my enhancements?... Yes. She owed it to them. Besides, she had to use this for something good.
"I'm going back to the Station. My friends were to return there and I need to know what happened to those innocent people. They were my responsibility and I failed them. You're welcome to come, but I doubt you will."

[spoiler]
Move silently: 1d20+6=8 Duhhhh... oops?
Listen:1d20+10=28
Spot: 1d20+8=24 [/spoiler]

Status
[spoiler]HP: 19!
AC: 20!

ragincajun2288

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #334 on: July 26, 2011, 05:41:14 AM »
The Russian woman nods. "Yes, you should know you are now immune to the virus, as you are already infected with it. According to recent data we've learned you will become more resilient, like them", her mouth twists around the word, them. "Other mutations are not uncommon and it's quite possible as time continues the virus may mutate you further. Who knows what will happen"?

She smiles as Lily explains her return to the police station. "I knew you would. You have heart, it's what drew me to you, what caused me to offer you the syringe at all". She looks down to the police officer and shakes her head. "I was almost positive he would die but he was his choice to make and only his". She looks up. "No, I will stay here and await your return. If you return, which I hope you do. After all, I need a place to stay tonight".

Lily moves out into street, knocking gravel across the street as she tries to adjust to her more graceful gait. Listening out she hears the sound of the helicopter still in the air, somewhere nearby. From the police station she hears the sound of gunfire and the screams of people. Looking around she notes the street is clear for now so she moves across to the front of the station. The bodies were cleaned up, but blood and the Infected's bodies still littered the ground. The barricade is broken and she can see into the station. Several bodies are lying on the ground, a man, a woman, and a child. They are bleeding out and their eyes stare into nothingness, the stare of the dead.

From her angle she can see nothing else.

maggieloo72

• I'm a newbie...
    • Email
« Reply #335 on: July 28, 2011, 01:34:14 AM »
Lily moves into the Police Station, trying to keep quiet and up against the walls. She focuses her attention to her auditory and visual senses, trying to sense her target and its victims. The bodies strewn across the street, bleeding and decaying... Actually, it doesn't bother her as badly as it had before. Perhaps another side effect?

[spoiler]
*Draw desert eagle from back strap while moving.
Spot:1d20+8=17
Listen:1d20+10=15
Move Silently:1d20+6=19
[/spoiler]

Status
[spoiler]HP: 19
AC: 20

ragincajun2288

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #336 on: July 29, 2011, 08:33:32 AM »
Lily moves into the police station at a low crouch, moving slowly and taking in her surroundings as she did so. She stops at the fountain and looks down to the bodies below her. Oh yeah. Definitely dead. Gunshot wounds, probably from wild fire. She looked over the lip of the fountain to see Lee firing his machine gun. Following his barrel she saw the creature that had wounded her before with it's spiked tongue. That dangerous no eyed creature, it was clinging to the ceiling as if it were nothing, like standing on the ground. Neither Lee or the creature seemed to notice her as they continued fighting each other. From the backrooms Lily could hear the terrified screams of the civilians.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

maggieloo72

• I'm a newbie...
    • Email
« Reply #337 on: August 02, 2011, 10:56:57 PM »
Lily takes in the scene and moves to the southern corner of the fountain (M-8), keeping low and quiet. Her enemies were fighting each other; no need to interrupt them just yet. As long as neither went any closer to the civilians, she would try to stay out of it until they could be taken down. And there's still the matter of the daughter... would the spike-tongued demon attack or defend her?

[spoiler]Move silently: 1d20+6=12 baah.
Spot: 1d20+8=14 another 6?
Listen: 1d20+10=11 fucking kidding me.
*Keep firearm at the ready. [/spoiler]

Status

ragincajun2288

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #338 on: August 03, 2011, 05:49:03 AM »
Lily creeps over and stays on one knee looking around the station. Lee's daughter is currently feasting on a fallen corpse and doesn't seem to notice Lily...or if she does she's ignoring her for the second...for another meal. Lily's not sure if she should turn her back on that one. Lily can't hear much over the gunfire and screeching at this proximity. Lee fires another round and it hits the creature in it's shoulder, near the neck. Despite this only one leg falters off the roof, the creature remains clinging to the roof. In fact it opens his massive mouth wide, it's large sharp teeth bared as it's tongue flashes from it's mouth, almost faster than her eyes could follow.

Almost.

The spiked tongue nearly hits Lee but he jumps back at the last second as the tongue slams into the floor of the station, throwing up bits of tile as it breaks through it and hits the concrete below. The monster screeches, whether in pain or anger or both unknown to Lily as she watches the two fight. She glances behind her again just in time to see Lee's daughter look up at her...and growl, baring her bloody teeth.

maggieloo72

• I'm a newbie...
    • Email
« Reply #339 on: August 08, 2011, 01:21:09 AM »
Somehow I knew it would be her first, Lily thinks to herself. She looks the creature in the eye and almost feels a sense of pity. Poor thing was just a child... and now?... Now it is another monster, though not yet clinging to the wall. From her new position (M-8), Lily fires a shot at the creeper. If they could defeat the common enemy, perhaps it could buy her a fraction of time before Lee and his former daughter attacked. She could only hope. "

[spoiler]Initiative(?): 1d20+8=18
Fire shot at creeper: kill the beast! (1d20+9=26)
Damage:be deeeeaaaad for real. (2d8+4=18)
[/spoiler]

"Lee, it's Lily. Don't shoot me! Where are the civilians?"