Author Topic: Dead Earth: The Beginning  (Read 38388 times)

ragincajun2288

• Bi-Curious George
  • I think I'm getting pretty good.
    • Email
Re: Dead Earth: The Beginning
« Reply #280 on: June 04, 2011, 11:38:52 PM »
Chuck mulls it over for a second and comes to the conclusion that the infected did not see him, or at least if he did he didn't screech that horrible noise like they usually do and charge straight for him.

Chuck and Hudson wait until the street is quiet again then start cruising along the alley ways. As they are nearing their destination they begin to hear a low, repeating noise echo in the air. As the source of the sound gets closer Hudson realizes it is the sound of a helicopter.

Chuck stops at the next alley way and goes down on one knee. He points and Hudson sees a group of men and woman walking down the street looking in all directions warily. They are a ragged bunch, but they all carry weapons of some sort. The sound of the helicopter is so loud now if fills their ears. The group begins waving frantically and Chuck and Hudson look up to see a helicopter above them.

"Help us"! "Please"! The people cry. The helicopter lowers down and spins to face them. "Help us"!
Suddenly without warning the chain guns spin and a torrent of bullets completely annihilate the group of people into a bloody mess that is barely recognizable.

"Holy fuck"!

The helicopter rises up again above the building line and flies away, circling the area.

Lily and the civilians did not finish cleaning up the area of bodies. A mass of infected humans arrived and they had to retreat inside. Lily has a carpenter patching up the building as quickly as possible. The front doors have been barricaded and from the front window she can see infected ripping into the still warm bodies of the dead. People are crying and barely holding in screams of terror as they watch the infected eat. 

"Oh God", the carpenter cries, "why in God's fucking sweet name do they do that"? Next to him a woman leans over and vomits.

Another man holds tightly to a pistol he found in a drawer and swallows hard, "If they find out we're in here, we fucked you know. We're going to die. We're going to fucking die"! He starts to panic and others start visibly losing control as well.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 02:54:43 AM by ragincajun2288 »
Playing Pingo, in The Artifact Prologue.

Running Dead Earth for my old table top group.

maggieloo72

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • I'm a newbie...
    • Email
« Reply #281 on: June 05, 2011, 03:19:29 PM »
As the hysteria rises, Lily speaks in a low yet firm voice.  "Everyone, quiet! I know it's awful, but we're still alive and if you start panicking, we won't last much longer. Keep those doors barricaded and the rest of you--keep calm! Cover your head if you can't stand it. Anyone who has themselves under control and has a weapon, help keep an eye out for any coming this way. Unless they do, we keep quiet." She watches the infected closely for signs of attack. Hopefully they'll be distracted enough by the bodies to not come at the station... Those officers were still providing distraction and defense for the civilians, even after death.
[spoiler]Spot: (1d20+8=28)
Listen: 1d20+10=23
Intuition: 1d20+8=18 Will they be safe?![/spoiler]

Status
[spoiler]HP: 6
AC: 19
AP: 10[/spoiler]

Gnomeo

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #282 on: June 06, 2011, 04:27:21 PM »
Seeing the violence unleashed on the group of survivors leaves Chuck in the mindset not unlike a soldier in a time of war.  He's deeply sorrowful of the fate of his fellow man; yet happy that he and Hudson are still alive.  It seems that conflict does not leave you once the violence ends. 

This was a lesson in survival.  He takes a few moments to compose himself and make sure that the helicopter is out of sight before turning to Hudson and saying, "OK.  New rule: Avoid the soldiers.  They don't care if you're not infected.  I shudder to think that one of them survived that, but should we run out there and see if they have any supplies we can use?  We can't change their fate, but we can see that it wasn't for nothing."

Is this what they've become?  Scavengers?  The realization was a painful one, even though Chuck and Hudson we're on their way to pick through the hospital for supplies.

Actions
[spoiler]If Hudson is in agreement, run out to the group of survivors, make sure there's none breathing, and search for anything useful.
Take 10 on Hide and Move Silent gives an 8 in each.
Take 10 on Treat Injury to stabilize any surviving...survivors. (success)
If any are alive, fireman carry him/her to the hospital.
Search for useful supplies: Search (1d20+3=20)[/spoiler]
Status
[spoiler]HP: 17 (bitten)
AC: 16
Action Points: 8
+8 on next Fortitude save vs. disease[/spoiler]
The next thing I say to you will be true.
The last thing I said was false.

shallowesoul

• *maniacal laugh*
« Reply #283 on: June 06, 2011, 11:58:07 PM »
Hudson looks around to see if there are any threats in the vicinity. yea lets check it out if there aren't any survivors then their items will be put to good use.
Actions
[spoiler]spot-1d20+4=19
search-1d20+3=12[/spoiler]
Status
[spoiler]HP-20
AC-22
Action points-10[/spoiler]
let the past be left unchanged, for it is a lesson of what our future is bound to be.

ragincajun2288

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #284 on: June 07, 2011, 03:28:36 PM »
Lily watches the infected hungrily rip into the still warm bodies, ignoring the ones that had died earlier from fighting with the cops. They obviously preferred warm blood to cold. In fact, they acted as if the cold, dead bodies did not exist. (Intelligence check Lily).

You unconsciously raise your gun as the hellish nightmares stand from their meal, blood dripping down their chins and splattered all over them by the gore of their eating. One of them looks over at the police station and suddenly screeches. The lady next to Lily claps her hand over her mouth to keep from screaming in terror. The infected all suddenly turn and begin screeching at the police station. The man with the gun takes a step back, also unconscious of his action, and mutters with a tremble. "Th-this is not g-good".

Lily curses as the infected begin sprinting for the front door. The sounds of the battle had probably drawn them here. Suddenly people begin screaming in horror as the infected, growling, screeching, and spitting blood begin attacking the barricaded front door, ripping it apart.

Hudson looks left and right for threats as Chuck moves out first into the open. Hudson gives a sigh at being exposed for following.

Chuck leans down to check for survivors but immediately puts a hand to his mouth and swallows back bile. He immediately doubted survivors in this mess. "God damn", Hudson croaks and almost gags before he gains control of his body and breathes calmly through his nose. Chuck sighs, they were going to search through this? If not for all the violence they had encountered until this point he was not sure they could have done it but as it was they just had to bear it for the good of their own survival.

They search through the messy bits and Chuck lifts up a mace. An archaic-freaking-mace. "Whoa". Chuck mutters, wondering who the fellow was and how he came upon this. The mace is obviously aged but it appears to be in combat-ready condition. This was a real weapon, it was heavy as fuck, not like the play things you ordered from martial arts magazines for 30 bucks plus shipping.

Hudson lifts up a large, heavy crossbow. Amongst the ruin he also finds 10 bolts for it. It could be a silent alternative.

Hudson also finds a clip for each of your guns Hudson except for the AK. You also find a Colt Python1 (.357 revolver), there are 5 bullets in the chamber an 10 more on the body. Chuck finds a Benelli 121 M1 (12-gauge shotgun). There is only 5 shells in the box but 7 more on the body. Chuck also finds another great find, a hunting rifle with 3 shells in the small box on top and 18 more around the body. Hudson and Chuck both glance at each other. No wonder the party had survived this far, they had been well armed. Had been. Although Chuck did not like to thrive off the misfortune of others, he had to admit this was quite the find.

[spoiler]Keep what you want, toss the rest, just don't forget to update your character sheets with the new weights of the items you bring along and their ammo count.

Archaic Mace. Because of it's simple design it required little to no training to use it. Step 1 was lift the mace. Step 2 was to bring it down upon an armored foe as hard as you could to crush his armor. Because of this, the mace is a Simple Weapon. Damage: 1d8. Crit:20   Type:Bludgeoning. Range: N/A. Size: Med. Weight: 8 pounds.

The 30 ought 6 hunting rifle.  Damage: 2d8. Crit:20. Type:Ballistic. Range:60 ft. Single shot. 3 box. Size: large. Weight: 6 lb.   Legal weapon for civilians.

Stats for the Colt are here: http://www.d20resources.com/modern.d20.srd/equipment/weapons.handguns.php

Stats for the Benelli: http://www.d20resources.com/modern.d20.srd/equipment/weapons.longarms.php

Stats for the Crossbow: http://www.d20resources.com/modern.d20.srd/equipment/weapons.longarms.php
Be sure to read the description for the crossbow, as it has special rules about reloading.[/spoiler]

Hudson looks up from the searching. Had he heard something?

maggieloo72

• I'm a newbie...
    • Email
« Reply #285 on: June 07, 2011, 04:16:07 PM »
[spoiler]FUCK. that's not intelligent at all. (1d20+2=6)[/spoiler]

Lily sees and feels the horror of the civilians. The bloodthirsty demons were coming again. God, they just can't catch a break! As the nasty infected get closer and closer to breaking through the barricade, Lily snaps back to the moment and becomes objective again. I won't go down like this. "Get back! Aim for the head and chest! We're fighting for our lives, people! Don't let the fear take you!"
[spoiler]Ready an action to shoot the first infected that breaks through the barricade.
Hit: (1d20+8=15)
Damage:2d8+4=10 [/spoiler]

Status
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 05:13:53 PM by maggieloo72 »

Gnomeo

« Reply #286 on: June 07, 2011, 06:06:05 PM »
Chuck takes his axe and places it in his carrying strap over his shoulder.  The mace is hefty enough to defend without requiring two hands if the need arose.  In an effort to be quick, he takes the hunting rifle and slings it over his shoulder, stuffs the extra ammo into a pocket, picks up the mace with his good hand, and grabs the shotgun with his other hand since he doesn't have a convenient place to put it.  Chuck makes a mental note to look for a backpack or travel bag of some sort when they get to the hospital.

As Hudson gathers what he found, Chuck glances around to see if the coast is clear.

Actions
[spoiler]Spot: Spot (1d20+8=25)[/spoiler]
Status
+8 on next Fortitude save vs. disease

Sheet is updated.  Still carrying a light load, with 8 lb. to spare.
[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 06:22:11 PM by Gnomeo »

shallowesoul

• *maniacal laugh*
« Reply #287 on: June 07, 2011, 09:40:59 PM »
Hudson picks up the crossbow and places the bolts in his pockets. did you hear that? Hudson looks around and tries to listen and for what made the noise.
Actions
[spoiler]listen-1d20+5=23
spot-1d20+4=21[/spoiler]
let the past be left unchanged, for it is a lesson of what our future is bound to be.

Gnomeo

« Reply #288 on: June 07, 2011, 10:11:39 PM »
"Hear what?"

Chuck straightens and turns his head like the Bionic Man did in his favorite TV show as a kid.

Actions
[spoiler]Listen (1d20+8=26)[/spoiler]
Status

ragincajun2288

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #289 on: June 09, 2011, 01:07:43 AM »
People are screaming, running, and someone is firing gun shots nearby in pure fear as the infected rip through the barricade. Lily's call to rally the people against the monsters seems ineffective for the most part. Only one man stands steady next to her with a baseball bat in his hand. "John", he offers, "guess this is end huh"?

The wounded cop Chuck had saved earlier after the battle has weakly propped himself up next to a column, sweat dripping from his forehead, and pulls out his gun attempting to hold it steadily. The odds did not look good as the pandemonium increased, most of the civilians were now huddled against the back wall. Lily suddenly feels a surge of contempt. Could not these people even fight for their lives?

Suddenly a horn is honking nearby. Lily looks out a window to see a school bus pull up in the parking lot. The school bus honks it's horn again and some of the infected turn to see a man inside the bus. Lily thinks he looks familiar from where she's standing. At least some of the infected pull off the door now and rush the bus in a frenzy to get inside. The school bus immediately spins it's wheels as it surges forward and slams into the infected. Although not going very fast, getting hit by a bus going twenty miles is still twenty miles too many. The bus runs them down, slightly bumping as the bodies go under the wheels.

One clinging to the front, attempting to climb onto the windshield receives a bullet through the windshield to the head before going down. The school bus screeches to a stop, sending the body flying onto the concrete and messily sliding across the asphalt. The side door creaks open and out steps a man. A man Lily had seen before. Lee, the mentally unstable man from Hudson's gun shop. His head is shaved now and his dark brown eyes still carry a dangerous glint. He is adorned with guns.

He whistles loudly and the remaining infected at the door all turn and screech, then run towards him. Lee pulls the machine gun off his back and roars firing round after round until the infected all lay dead at his feet. Inside people have stopped screaming and are looking out the window with hopeful eyes. Some of them even begin cheering. Yet Lily's intuition tells her that everything is not okay.

Lee looks up to the police station and gives a small smile. But the smile never touches his eyes. He then returns to the bus. He comes out with a burlap sack, carrying something that is thrashing around inside. He walks up to the front door and begins kicking the weakened barricade. The civilians look at each other confusedly and one moves to let him in but he simply breaks through and walks in like he owns the place. Lee smiles at them and from this close Lily can see insanity burning in his eyes. Great, just after one psycho was killed she has to deal with another. Too soon, too soon.

"Hello all", he says calmly, as if he is not holding a sack that is thrashing around under his arm. "When I saw the infected trying to get in I knew there were people inside. And people are in high demand right now, seems like everyone's hiding somewhere". He walks over to the corner and puts the sack down, pulling it off to reveal a girl.

Not just any girl mind you. An infected girl bound in ropes, eyes red and broken from mutation, teeth and claws sharp and blood all over her chin, neck, and little blouse. People begin screaming again. One man yells, "What the hell are you thinking"? And others begin to rally behind him, demanding information.

"Well this is just my daughter", Lee beams proudly, "Isn't she cute"? He looks over and recognizes Lily. "You. The girl from before with Hudson. Where is that son of a bitch anyway"? He looks around suddenly, the slightest bit of worry on his face before regaining himself. "No matter, he isn't here apparently".

The man who had the hand gun from earlier steps forward. "Are you out of your god damned mind? That's not your daughter anymore. She's one of those monsters! She could get loose and attack us and I've seen what happens if you get bit". He turns to the others for support. "You turn into one of them. We've all seen it, haven't we"? The people begin nodding and shouting support but Lee remains calm. In fact, without a word he lifts his pistol from his side holster and in one fluid motion fires, the bullet slamming into the man's skull. The fellow hits the ground, blood pouring from the missing chunk where his left eye used to be. People begin screaming once more, even more so in terror as Lee walks over to the corpse, pulls it over by the leg, and sets it near his daughter who falls over on the corpse to begin eating it.

Lily is nearly paralyzed at first. This couldn't be happening. Lee turns and smiles at her. "What's wrong? My little girl has to eat too? I guess she's just growing", he turns and looks at her, "She sure does eat a lot. Picky eater too", he guffaws loudly as if someone had just told him a hilarious joke. He turns and looks at the people, who are now huddled against the wall together in fear. John has not moved, but stands next to Lily still, tense. The wounded cop has his gun at his side, perhaps waiting for his chance. Lee turns and looks at him as if he knows what he is thinking. He smiles the cop as if daring him to make a move. Lee touches the machine over his shoulder before turning back to Lily.

"Where is Hudson anyway, weren't you traveling with another man as well"? He asks as the sounds of his infected daughter in the background eating cause many a stomach to churn.

********************************************************************************

Both Hudson and Chuck can clearly hear the growling of many, many infected approaching. Hudson looks ahead to see several of the monsters come across an intersection. He swears he sees them sniffing the air, noses held high in the air as they look in all directions. For the moment, by the grace of God, they haven't seemed to notice him and Chuck crouched among the ruins of former men and women.

"We may not want to stand in one place too long. We're going to have lots of company I think", Hudson says. Hudson also notices there are several shops nearby on each side of the street and three alleyways with dumpsters and doors built into the brick walls.

maggieloo72

• I'm a newbie...
    • Email
« Reply #290 on: June 09, 2011, 02:36:26 AM »
Good God! Lily thinks as she tries to suppress her gag reflex. He's even crazier than before!... Best to be delicate.
She lowers her firearm, letting it point to the ground to show no hostility. "Calm down, everyone, please. He did just rescue us." Lily turns her attention to Lee. "Hudson and the other man, Chuck, went to forage for supplies at the hospital. They should be back by morning." She watches his every movement, her behavioral training kicking in from years past. If he trusted her, maybe they could still get out of this. "Thank you for taking care of those things outside. Saved us a lot of bloodshed and we're grateful that you stopped. You're welcome to some of our supplies or rations... Lily looks around for the others to agree and speak their thanks. "What are your plans? Are you still headed for the evacuation route?"
Lily speaks with a genteel nature and full eye contact, as she'd practiced in the Academy and done in threatening situations following. Build his trust. Engage in calm conversation until an opportunity presents itself. Dancing with death, yet again today.
[spoiler]Diplomacy: 1d20+3=21[/spoiler]

Status

Gnomeo

« Reply #291 on: June 09, 2011, 05:08:31 AM »
"I hear Infected; and lots of 'em.  Shit, we may as well cover ourselves in barbecue sauce if we stand near fresh meat like this."

Chuck knew that moments ago these were living breathing people with the same hope he and his friends have: safety.  Referring to them as fresh meat made him grimace a little bit, but it was better than focusing on the fact that had he and Hudson seen the helicopter first, it would have been them smeared across the pavement.

Chuck tracks Hudson's eyes and saw an alley directly across from where they came from with plenty of obstacles to hide behind, and heavy doors leading into brick buildings.  Knowing that staying here any longer would draw attention, he darts into the alleyway.

Actions
[spoiler]Run into the alleyway as stealthily as he can.
Hide (1d20-2=0)  :bigeye aw crap, let's hope they weren't looking this way
Move Silent (1d20-2=0)   :o :twitch no fucking way...[/spoiler]
Status
[spoiler]Amazed by his profound lack of stealth.  Who else can pull off two zero stealth rolls in a row?
HP: 17 (bitten)

shallowesoul

• *maniacal laugh*
« Reply #292 on: June 10, 2011, 09:36:05 PM »
Hudson quickly follows after Chuck into the alley way. well this kinda sets us back a little bit we may have to go out and take em down if they are here to long or get to close. Hudson look to the doors and then at Chuck. lets look around in there while we wait for the road to clear a little bit.
Actions
[spoiler]enter the doorway in the alley and spot check
spot-1d20+4=10[/spoiler]

ragincajun2288

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #293 on: June 11, 2011, 03:14:33 AM »
Lee twitches at the neck and puts on a grin. "They are gone you say? That is a pity. Hmm? Plans? Oh I don't know about north now that I have my love with me. I do think they would not let us stay together now that she's different", he says as if his daughter was a special person, not Infected. He looks around at the people, still grinning the entire time as he turns back to Lily. "Save you? Ah yes, I guess I did. So this makes the next part much easier. See? Now you owe me. See"? He begins laughing in a fit, slapping his knee and clutching his sides. "Yes I require something you see. I saved this place because I knew there were live people here. I need live people", he turns and looks at his daughter lovingly, "she doesn't eat anything else".

Chuck and Hudson run into the alley way, Chuck tripping over a garbage can as he does so and sending it crashing to the ground. <Shit!>

Hudson reaches for the steel door embedded in brick on the left and curses as the handle does not work. It may be locked, it may be an exit only door without a key. "It's locked", he says, uneasiness in his voice.

Chuck stands behind a dumpster and lets his back hit the wall. "Now what"? They both immediately scan the area. They both see the alley way is a dead end, with a ten foot brick wall at the end. There is also a fire escape at the end that goes up the building and three dumpsters in the alleyway. They know at least one door is locked from this side out.

Suddenly a screech turns their heads. Down the alley way they see at least three infected who have spotted them and are coming this way. Chuck has the insane thought that one of them was his former mail man. What had these poor people become? Was their anything left of them inside?

[spoiler]Initiative.

[/spoiler]

maggieloo72

• I'm a newbie...
    • Email
« Reply #294 on: June 11, 2011, 04:00:25 AM »
We should have stuck with fighting the undead, Lily thinks. The sound of his daughter munching was growing to be too much to handle. Even the way it breathed was repulsive. How could he even pretend to think this thing was anything resembling a human anymore? What if it were your daughter?... No. It's wrong. There's no soul there.  
"Lee, easy now. You can't go around hunting your fellow man to feed your daughter. She's... not well. And you look out of it, too. Why don't you just calm down a while? After all, she just ate..."
[spoiler]Diplomacy? :( 1d20+3=10[/spoiler]

Gnomeo

« Reply #295 on: June 12, 2011, 03:35:38 AM »
Initiative
[spoiler]Initiative (1d20=17)[/spoiler]
Status

shallowesoul

• *maniacal laugh*
« Reply #296 on: June 13, 2011, 12:05:44 AM »
Initiative
[spoiler]1d20+4=14[/spoiler]

ragincajun2288

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #297 on: June 14, 2011, 01:07:05 AM »
"YOU DON'T FUCKING TELL ME WHAT TO DO"! Lee roars, spittle flying from his mouth. He pulls his gun without warning and randomly fires into the crowd of people huddled against the walls. Someone falls to the ground, holding their thigh tightly as blood seeps from between their fingers, and screaming in pain. Some people move to help the man and Lee lifts his gun again. "NO. No one fucking moves. No one fucking helps him. No one helped me when I had to fight my way through a pile of monsters to find my daughter. No one helped my daughter when a teacher turned into one of those fucks and ate half the god damned class. No one helped us"! He yells at them causing them to shrink back even further. The man on the ground continues to scream in the background as Lee turns to Lily.

"See? I do whatever I want. I'll feed every god damned person to her one at a time if I want, and maybe I will. I am unwell. You don't think I know I'm unwell? You don't think I know she isn't"? His voice cracks but he shakes his head and looks at her. "You just watch your step while I figure out what I want to do next". He eyes her gun and touches his own rifle butt over his shoulder. "The only reason I'm letting you keep that weapon is because I hope your stupid enough to try and use it". He smiles and once again, his eyes gleam as if there is only a feral beast inside. "You already look like shit. I could probably beat you down with my fists".

He looks over at his daughter as she continues to feast on the man's corpse, or the remnants thereof, and sighs. "So hungry, all the time little girl. Your belly's gonna pop", he giggles and Lily sees in horror that the infected girl's stomach is actually distended.

Meanwhile, Lily's companion's are in danger of their own. Chuck and Hudson feel the adrenal response of fight or flight in the alley way as the screeching infected sprint towards them.

[spoiler]Initiative Order:

Chuck

Hudson

Infected

[/spoiler]

Gnomeo

« Reply #298 on: June 14, 2011, 03:06:48 PM »
Chuck, realizing the size of the group of infected is likely too large for the two of them alone, says, "Up is probably safer."  He tucks the shotgun under one arm and grabs hold of the dumpster in front of him with his free hand.  "We can use this to reach the fire escape."  Leaning back to provide more leverage, he attempts to pull the nearest dumpster to the back of the alley.

Actions
[spoiler]Strength check to pull the dumpster: Str check (1d20+4=8)

The goal is to pull it back 20' to the space next to the fire escape (G-2?), leaving Chuck directly beneath the fire escape (G-1?).  Whether it works or not, he'll wait in the space he ends up in, let go of the dumpster, and prepare himself for attacks of opportunity should infected move past him.[/spoiler]
Status

ragincajun2288

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #299 on: June 15, 2011, 02:47:28 PM »
Chuck grabs the dumpster and begins tugging on it. With the shotgun carefully tucked under one arm he struggles with the heavy dumpster, which must weight about 600 pounds by his estimation. Suddenly it jerks forward with the loud screech of metal on pavement and Chuck grunts loudly in exertion, sweat beading on his forehead as he drags the entire dumpster backwards. Hudson watches in quiet amazement.

[spoiler]Had to look up the weight of a dumpster and calculate if your str check was good enough but in the end I decided it was sufficient.

Hudson you're up.

[/spoiler]