Author Topic: Build Help : Concept Sub-Forcero  (Read 2600 times)

tealjohn

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
Build Help : Concept Sub-Forcero
« on: December 18, 2010, 09:38:17 PM »
I am trying to min max, and older build for a 20th level one shot, the old build was 12th and looked like this
It would probably help if I added the guidelines which is anything WotC 3.5 but not DrMag., and UA buyoff rules 2flaws one trait.

human
monk 3/sorcerer 1/frost mage 6/enlightened fist 1

stats   mod  
str 14   +2    
dex 17   +3  
con 14   +0
int 10   +0
wis 14   +2    
cha 14   +2  

BAB +5
melee attack bonus +7
ranged attack bouns +10 ray +11
grapple +7

feats:
flaw 1------snowcasting
flaw 2------frozen magic
human-------empower spell
level 1-----weapon focus (ray)
level 3-----energy substitustion
level 6-----practiced spellcaster
level 9-----improved initiative
level 12----winter's blast
bonus 1-----stunning fist (5/day)
bonus 2-----deflect arrows
monk--------improved unarmed strike
frost mage--piercing cold

Can you help me optimize this, please. Feel free to trade any levels.

P.S Was originally supposed to do ice damage, but now needs to do force.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 10:04:05 PM by tealjohn »
STUPID TWOS!!!!

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
Re: Build Help : Concept Sub-Forcero
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2010, 09:42:27 PM »
If Enlightened Fist does not require Still Mind then drop the 3rd level of monk.

I'd suggest swordsage if you can get the Desert Wind school and Jade Phoenix Mage PrC switched from fire- to cold-based.

Spellwarp sniper maybe? It would let you convert more spells into rays.

Or you could go psionic. If you can get your Frostburn feats and Arcane Fist to work on powers then
Monk 3/Ardent 15/Enlightened Fist 2
Feats: Monastic Training, Practiced Manifester, Tashalatora
Mantles: Conflict, Time, Water
EDIT: AFB, what level does the EF get to cast and deliver touch powers as part of a full attack?
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 10:14:25 PM by Prime32 »
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

tealjohn

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2010, 10:09:39 PM »
2nd for the ability, 6th for the burst.
STUPID TWOS!!!!

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2010, 10:21:01 PM »
Re: edit.
P.S Was originally supposed to do ice damage, but now needs to do force.
...okay, what do you want this guy to do exactly? More than half the original build is ice-themed feats and PrCs, so you're unlikely to get anything that remotely resembles it.

If you just want to strike ethereal targets, there's a soulmeld (crystal helm?) which grants your attacks the [Force] descriptor without changing their damage type.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 10:24:27 PM by Prime32 »
My work
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

tealjohn

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2010, 10:23:54 PM »
Force damage, already know the BBEG, its immune to pretty much everything save fire, which is resist 20
STUPID TWOS!!!!

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2010, 10:30:10 PM »
Force damage, already know the BBEG, its immune to pretty much everything save fire, which is resist 20
Not what I meant. What's your concept? Melee or ranged? Broad abilities or focused ones?

If you want to deal damage, a spellcaster isn't the best route. But if you want to kill something, raw damage isn't the best route.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 10:33:01 PM by Prime32 »
My work

tealjohn

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2010, 10:35:12 PM »
Well, when I first built it the concept was to punch shit in the face with ice damage, kind of like subzero. But it wasn't so effective. So I'm hoping to punch shit in the face with force damage, and have spells as a back up.
STUPID TWOS!!!!

Shadowhunter

• Hong Kong
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2010, 10:55:19 PM »
Original build seems to be a tribute to Sub-Zero from the Mortal Combat series.
Now the OP is in need of Force damage instead of Cold damage.
Exactly how to go about doing this is unclear, since applying force damage spells to unarmed attacks are hard to make optimal.
Anywhere near optimal actually.

EDIT: AFB, what level does the EF get to cast and deliver touch powers as part of a full attack?

Level 3 for touch spells, level 7 for ray spells.
I can't think of any good Force-damaging spell at the moment, except Orb of Force and that's not applicable here.

@tealjohn:
So, what you want is a level 20 character that augments his punches with Force Damage?
The way I see it, you're stuck halfway between someone who want to punch face and someone who likes killing stuff with magic.
Being stuck there isn't fun, since nothing you'll try will really work adequately.

If you want something that will put down the hurt in melee whilst still having magic as "backup", take a good look at Shapechange.
Or a decently built Monk/(Psychic Warrior or Ardent, whichever you prefer), punching 6 attacks at 12d6 damage each.
[Spoiler]
Quote from: Runestar
the most effective optimization is the one you can actually get away with.  :smirk

Quote from: Vinom
(A group of nerds are called a murder because like crows we are anti-social, like shiny things, and often squack at each other over nothing for hours)

I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/quote]
[/spoiler]

Binder? You're Welcome

Zceryll makes Binders go from tier 3 to tier 2.
Cagemarrow is a Genius

Before giving the advice that build X would be better of with Fist of the Forest, take a long, good look at Primal Living. Twice.

tealjohn

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2010, 11:18:36 PM »

Well I would like to augment the my damage with force damage, and Cyclonic blast is a good untyped spell, Flurry of wings is solid force damage spell, but mainly force damage is the only thing the creatures the DM built have a low resistance too, fire caps at like 20 the rest is full immunity. 
STUPID TWOS!!!!

Abner

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2010, 12:48:46 AM »
Bump for support of a hair-brained theme ?

CantripN

• Hong Kong
  • Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2010, 07:05:45 AM »
Take a level in Sancified One of Kord (Complete Champion) and use Fire spells? Say "Screw You" to Energy Immunity, as you'll be doing Divine Damage, and still getting all the good things from Snowcasting.
Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to be always part of unanimity.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2010, 10:19:43 AM »
Well I would like to augment the my damage with force damage, and Cyclonic blast is a good untyped spell, Flurry of wings is solid force damage spell, but mainly force damage is the only thing the creatures the DM built have a low resistance too, fire caps at like 20 the rest is full immunity.
Or you could just deal damage that doesn't have a type.

Note also that damage reduction doesn't apply to slashing/piercing/bludgeoning damage dealt by spells.
My work

tealjohn

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2010, 05:48:10 PM »
thanks guys, but I'm abandoning the build. I've got a ranger 12/scout 5/ardent 3 (for 7d6 dissolving weapon on my arrows)
STUPID TWOS!!!!