Author Topic: Spiky and Smooth Effectiveness - Why Casters and Martial Adepts Do So Well  (Read 63335 times)

Bloody Initiate

• King Kong
    • Email
Re: Spiky and Smooth Effectiveness - Why Casters and Martial Adepts Do So Well
« Reply #240 on: January 05, 2011, 04:29:10 PM »
So the dragon expects to fight epic golems? Well if so, it flies, and they don't. So uh, it completely bypasses the encounter?

If I can just fly over I would totally cast grease on any epic monster I thought it would work on. It's just funny to watch epic golems fall over because of a first level spell. If I'm a dragon, I'm pretty sure my whole job is to fuck with people anyway.

Too bad golems aren't intelligent, it takes a lot of the fun out of pranking them. For an intelligent monster I'd drop a note "That was a first level spell you just faceplanted against. Also I scribed explosive runes on this note."
I don't employ memes. Mass-produced ammunition, even from reputable manufacturers, tends to malfunction on occasion.

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #241 on: January 05, 2011, 04:31:41 PM »
So the dragon expects to fight epic golems? Well if so, it flies, and they don't. So uh, it completely bypasses the encounter?

If I can just fly over I would totally cast grease on any epic monster I thought it would work on. It's just funny to watch epic golems fall over because of a first level spell. If I'm a dragon, I'm pretty sure my whole job is to fuck with people anyway.

Too bad golems aren't intelligent, it takes a lot of the fun out of pranking them. For an intelligent monster I'd drop a note "That was a first level spell you just faceplanted against. Also I scribed explosive runes on this note."
Not to mention that grease potentially has...err...utility uses. I mean, it's a 100 square feet. Dragons grow up to Colossal+ size, and all their bits are sized accordingly. You do the math.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

Bloody Initiate

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #242 on: January 05, 2011, 04:34:19 PM »

Not to mention that grease potentially has...err...utility uses. I mean, it's a 100 square feet. Dragons grow up to Colossal+ size, and all their bits are sized accordingly. You do the math.

Indeed, the Nymphology book was written with mostly medium sized creatures in mind, it's good to know good ol' fashioned creativity is looking after the big folk.
I don't employ memes. Mass-produced ammunition, even from reputable manufacturers, tends to malfunction on occasion.

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #243 on: January 05, 2011, 04:35:41 PM »

Indeed, the Nymphology book was written with mostly medium sized creatures in mind, it's good to know good ol' fashioned creativity is looking after the big folk.
Hey, Medium and Small creatures can have their fun with it too.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
[/spoiler]

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #244 on: January 05, 2011, 04:53:45 PM »
And it might want to take the golem out for some reason? What if it's defending its home (or something in its home)? What if it's defending a town it likes? What if the dragon hates undead (and dead things in general) and it sees one of those corpse collosi?

Dragons are (on average) more intelligent than people. They might have a slightly alien worldview from our perspective, but that doesn't mean they don't have motivation.

So, a random golem just walks in? Yeah, sure. Whatever. I think that's qualifying as definite edge case. Now Grease is a nice spell, but not at the levels where everyone is flying.

They might want to use those slots on something else. Conservation of resources, man.

I'm not saying something else can't do what silent image can do and then some, but why use a nuke when a bullet will work instead? The dragon might want something else in a higher level slot.

Dragons have Sorc casting, which means a lot of slots. Don't think they're in much danger of running out, even when doing things like spamming Arcane Strike. Also, Action Economy. If you're going to try and fool someone, you'll want to make sure it works. Silent Image is foiled by more things than the higher level images.

And something tells me Grease will not help with... that... :eh
Smiting Imbeciles since 1985.

If you hear this music, run.

And don't forget:

There is no greater contribution than Hi Welcome.

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

Friends don't let friends be Short Bus Hobos.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

Here's a fun fact: You aren't. By a few leagues.
[/spoiler]

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #245 on: January 05, 2011, 05:00:16 PM »
And it might want to take the golem out for some reason? What if it's defending its home (or something in its home)? What if it's defending a town it likes? What if the dragon hates undead (and dead things in general) and it sees one of those corpse collosi?

Dragons are (on average) more intelligent than people. They might have a slightly alien worldview from our perspective, but that doesn't mean they don't have motivation.

So, a random golem just walks in? Yeah, sure. Whatever. I think that's qualifying as definite edge case. Now Grease is a nice spell, but not at the levels where everyone is flying.
It's as random as the situation calls for. It might be that a necromancer is getting pissy elsewhere, and a berserk golem is the result.

I'm just thinking what would happen if it actually happened for whatever reason. A 1st level spell with ~50% chance of taking down an epic monster for a round? I'd hit that.

They might want to use those slots on something else. Conservation of resources, man.

I'm not saying something else can't do what silent image can do and then some, but why use a nuke when a bullet will work instead? The dragon might want something else in a higher level slot.

Dragons have Sorc casting, which means a lot of slots. Don't think they're in much danger of running out, even when doing things like spamming Arcane Strike. Also, Action Economy. If you're going to try and fool someone, you'll want to make sure it works. Silent Image is foiled by more things than the higher level images.
And maybe it's got a thing for efficiency. A 1st level slot for a prone opponent at epic levels is pretty awesome, I think.

And something tells me Grease will not help with... that... :eh
Oh ye of little experimentation.

Open your mind.

Just...not so open that it falls out.

[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
[/spoiler]

lans

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #246 on: January 05, 2011, 05:09:07 PM »
I don't think failure =dead in most scenarios.
Look at failing a save, the lowest SoD is level 4 and it gives two saves. I don't know what the next one is.

So say your 3rd level and you fail a save. Your not dead, and as a member of a party you have 3 or 4 other members to bail you out.

edit I may have posted this in the wrong thread, this one and "Underpowered Mundanes or Overpowered Magic - Which is worse?" seem to be overlapping
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 05:11:34 PM by lans »
Skill prodigy from Kingdoms of Kalamar

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #247 on: January 05, 2011, 05:35:25 PM »

I always wondered how you got half dragon gnomes.

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #248 on: January 05, 2011, 05:39:43 PM »

Have you seen gnomish sex-toys? Those suckers are scary.

[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
[/spoiler]

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #249 on: January 05, 2011, 05:41:31 PM »

I assumed that was their alternate form ability.

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #250 on: January 05, 2011, 05:48:06 PM »

I assumed that was their alternate form ability.

only a couple of dragons have alternate form...

Bronze, Gold and Silver from the monster manual...

Shadowhunter

• Hong Kong
« Reply #251 on: January 05, 2011, 05:51:53 PM »
Enlarge Person on the female?
Enlarge Person on the male?
[Spoiler]
Quote from: Runestar
the most effective optimization is the one you can actually get away with.  :smirk

Quote from: Vinom
(A group of nerds are called a murder because like crows we are anti-social, like shiny things, and often squack at each other over nothing for hours)

I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/quote]
[/spoiler]

Binder? You're Welcome

Zceryll makes Binders go from tier 3 to tier 2.
Cagemarrow is a Genius

Before giving the advice that build X would be better of with Fist of the Forest, take a long, good look at Primal Living. Twice.

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #252 on: January 05, 2011, 05:58:23 PM »
Wouldn't that be engorge person on the male?

[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
[/spoiler]

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #253 on: January 05, 2011, 06:31:07 PM »
Colossal dragon vs medium gnome?

Shiki

• King Kong
  • Mindraped
« Reply #254 on: January 05, 2011, 06:32:01 PM »
Small..?
"An ally of truth."

Soundtrack of the week:
Kagamine Rin - Antichlorobenzene (ft. Kagamine Ren)

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #255 on: January 05, 2011, 06:44:03 PM »
Small..?

Enlarge person... I was trying to demonstrate how little that would help.

Shiki

• King Kong
  • Mindraped
« Reply #256 on: January 05, 2011, 06:46:52 PM »
Small..?

Enlarge person... I was trying to demonstrate how little that would help.

Oh, I missed that.
"An ally of truth."

Soundtrack of the week:
Kagamine Rin - Antichlorobenzene (ft. Kagamine Ren)

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #257 on: January 05, 2011, 06:58:04 PM »
Stuff.

Ok, can we get past the stupidity with Tarrasque style fail and accept that the fucking dragons are not Dominate bait due to immunity already?

Look at failing a save, the lowest SoD is level 4 and it gives two saves. I don't know what the next one is.

So say your 3rd level and you fail a save. Your not dead, and as a member of a party you have 3 or 4 other members to bail you out.

edit I may have posted this in the wrong thread, this one and "Underpowered Mundanes or Overpowered Magic - Which is worse?" seem to be overlapping

Consider why such spells are referred to as win spell = win. Consider why the PCs can treat it as such. Consider that any decent encounter can do the same damn thing.

And don't forget:

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

[/spoiler]

lans

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #258 on: January 05, 2011, 08:08:30 PM »
Stuff.

Ok, can we get past the stupidity with Tarrasque style fail and accept that the fucking dragons are not Dominate bait due to immunity already?

Consider why such spells are referred to as win spell = win. Consider why the PCs can treat it as such. Consider that any decent encounter can do the same damn thing.
Because the enemy was by itself with out a person to cover there ass or take out the monster when it got incapacitated?

As opposed to a party that can protect the person  or remove the blindness condition?
Skill prodigy from Kingdoms of Kalamar

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #259 on: January 05, 2011, 08:36:47 PM »
I said decent encounter. That means not solo enemies you beat down via 4-6 actions to 1.

Also, most characters in D&D cannot protect anyone, even themselves. Fewer still can protect others.

And don't forget:

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]