Author Topic: Interesting Non-Optimization Options?  (Read 5155 times)

Tenebrus

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • Email
Re: Interesting Non-Optimization Options?
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2010, 07:19:49 PM »
I just looked at Spellguard.  Rebel, Help me get what you mean.  The extra-special sculpting is nice but I don't get how it really buffs anyone.

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2010, 08:11:38 PM »
well, there's always the Stalwart Battle Sorcerer option .... significantly reduces options and spells/day (of course, you'll still want War Weaver ;))

Ooh! UMD monk! They work, right?
only if they use partially-charged wands :D

[spoiler]
If you stop ignoring 289 pages telling what the intent is to stretch "more power" in your own god complexion of your interpretation trumps all to cover ability adjustments from aging then I will ignore a quarter page of rules that exist within a sidebar.
I think in this case the grammar is less important than whether the Str and Dex bonus provided to your created undead scales.

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt
More Savage Progressions[/spoiler]
Report any wrongs I have done here.

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2010, 08:13:27 PM »
I just looked at Spellguard.  Rebel, Help me get what you mean.  The extra-special sculpting is nice but I don't get how it really buffs anyone.

They cast personal spells on others at level 4 of the PrC last I checked.  This allows War Weaving a lot of previously inaccessible spells.
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286

Widow

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2010, 03:25:02 AM »
I think it is funny that no one noticed you slipped in leadership, which is the most powerful feat in the game.  I might skip that one unless you are getting a really really low key cohort (such as a stay at home artificer or Fiend of possession).

It seems you want a caster without full spells, social skills, and marshal.  Might I suggest Bard 7/Marshal 3 (whatever order)/Sublime Chord X.  I know sublime chord is extremely powerful, but it is fine as long as you actually take levels in it instead of progressing it with another prestige class.  This will get you a boat load of social skills and your motivate Charisma and Determined Caster aura's.  It will slow your spell progression some compared to a full blown sorceror and allow you to play around with bardic music to augment the party in the early levels.  Then it just comes down to spell selection so you don't outshine the party in combat.  This way you can still optimize without specifically taking non-spell casting progression levels to penalize yourself.  You should not be penalized because you know more, just use it to your advantage to make an interesting build that does not outshine the rest.

Edit: Some key buff spells are:
Haste Level 3
Snowsong from Frostburn (Level 6 Bard)
Empyreal Ecstasy from Book of exalted deeds (Level 6 Bard).
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 03:28:51 AM by Widow »

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2010, 07:02:39 PM »
Heh ... keep Leadership and get the cohort as the Commoner 20 build that gets the 3 Leaderships.
I mean Flying Castle doesn't do "anything" right ?!

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2010, 11:09:16 PM »
How about Master Transmogrifist? or Mindbender? (ok maybe that's pushing it)

---
"The late, sedate, and no to great." ~Surreal

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.
Archived version of the above with working links

The Mango Index - a giant index for all things D&D and where to find them
The Mango List Reborn! - rehosted by KellKheraptis

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities
Alternative Class Features
alternative ways to get class skills

Ikeren

• Email
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2010, 02:24:09 PM »
Fantastic feedback, everyone!  If only our encyclopedic knowledge of this game could cure cancer or something!

One day. One day.

Tenebrus

• Email
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2010, 02:04:36 AM »
Once again, excellent ideas all.  The tension in the character comes from not wanting to dominate while still being competent, and from having ways to contribute to the success of the others.  Bard will have to wait for another iteration when we have the 4 roles covered and it's my turn to be the 5th "do what you want" character, although I might pick factotum for that.  Someone will have to gain basic working knowledge of the spellbook before that happens, so I'm not holding my breath.

War weaver seems the way to go.  Planning ahead, picking buff spells from the few allowed the sorcerer should keep me from being obviously over-powering.  Of course, all this advanced planning probably dooms my character to die at 3rd level.   ;)   Rebuttal is, as always, quite welcome.

I think it is funny that no one noticed you slipped in leadership, which is the most powerful feat in the game.  I might skip that one unless you are getting a really really low key cohort (such as a stay at home artificer or Fiend of possession). 

Marshal was the justification for getting Leadership.  To fit the concept (sort of a riff on the Dresden Files as a Changeling sorcerer with a fey parent linked to cold and darkness), my idea for Leadership was a somewhat intelligent, tiny bit advanced wendigo dog (CR6), treated as a cohort.  And yes, leadership is terribly powerful.