Author Topic: Your Evil!... So tell me more  (Read 10753 times)

Jdshots

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
Your Evil!... So tell me more
« on: December 16, 2010, 09:14:42 AM »
I've been reading the boards for the past few days and it seems most people seem to play or like to play the good guys, So in light of this I would like to hear the evil stories albeit funny or just epic in its cruelty.

I'll Start in the party I was in we had a cleric that found an artifact that when touched caused insanity, This cleric took said book while covering his hands in gloves so not to be affected and sneaked into the other party members rooms and hit them with the said book, He failed on one members room they knocked out the cleric and then taking the artifact to a lich traded it for a mind rape spell and change everythign about the cleric to good alignment wanting to heal all the party members and using money to buy a spell blade to avoid a wish and another to avoid a miracle to reverse the mind rape. 

so Now I told you mine lets hear yours.

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
Re: Your Evil!... So tell me more
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 09:40:09 AM »
Usually when I run evil guys, they tend to be more selfish and pragmatic than outright cruel.  Still, that didn't stop me from running a chaotic evil minotaur in a solo game back in 2E.  Back in 2E, the minotaur's diet listed in the MM was people (I think it said "man eater" or something), so I decided to run with that.

Something bad had happened to this village before I got there, and they were all huddled in this ring around a fire.  I picked off a straggler, MC let me rip off one of the guy's arms (I had a 20 Str, which in 3E terms is probably closer to a 25 - 30).  I then walked up behind someone in the ring and put the hand of the guy's severed arm on this person's shoulder.  He saw the hand, didn't think anything of it, then saw a minotaur standing behind him.  Much bloodshed and limb/organ ripping ensued.  I don't remember the campaign lasting long, however.  That probably takes the cake in terms of epic cruelty.

I'm currently running an evil dread necromancer in another solo game (same MC, just 15 years later ;)).  She's evil, not so much in that she's cruel, but that the campaign is using the whole undead = evil philosophy, so the fact that she embraces using undead makes her evil.  Otherwise, I'd likely play her as more of a dark lawful neutral.  She's not altruistic, but a lot of times, she can get fresh corpses for animating while doing good deeds.  Stopping the orc bandits = orc skeletons + brownie points with the locals.  It's a really different character than I've run before.

She's still a bit of a "villain" in that this campaign has a huge war against undead (they actually control an entire continent), so most people take a zero-tolerance policy on undead and necromancy.  She has to be quite secretive in her endeavors, and has already killed a good cleric who saw her unearthing her troll skeleton one night before going out to adventure.  Depending on how involved the clerics and paladins get in her agenda, she might turn more into a full-out villain.  She gives each of her animated corpses personalities, so if a cleric kills one, she thinks of it as the cleric killing one of her friends.  That, and since she hasn't killed anyone innocent yet, she doesn't see anything wrong in what she's done.  This makes her view the clerics and paladins as "evil".

I'll have to cross that bridge when I come to it!
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
Quote from: CryoSilver
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

Empirate

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2010, 11:58:13 AM »
I DMed a whole campaign that we liked to call the Eeevill Campaign!!!, it was pretty awesome. The only restriction on PCs was no in-party backstabbing - play nice with each other. The feeling was very much "us against the rest of the world", and it worked out nicely for quite a while.

The PCs were a CE Tiefling Rogue/Fighter going into Assassin, a CE Kir-Lanan Bard/Fighter going into Ur-Priest, and a Human NE Sorcerer/Barbarian going into Dragon Disciple. The Assassin (female) and Dragon Disciple hooked up and became a couple, while the Kir-Lanan was the DD's bestest friend.

The campaign revolved around a magical book, through which a powerful Balor spoke to the Assassin. He tried to steer the party towards serving, then betraying his master, an even more powerful Demon Lord. He used magical persuasion and compulsion on the Assassin from time to time to further his goals, but in the end, the PCs were just too fond of their independence and managed to overcome the Balor's influence to look for some fun on their own. Lots of fun was had and so on, but in the end, we wanted something a little more heroic really. Still, it was nice to actually see all those "evil" tagged spells, magic items etc. get some screentime in the hands of PCs!

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2010, 02:18:23 PM »
I had a DM request us play evil characters for a game, they said they wanted truly inhuman monsters. So they got a pretty little girl that was a warlock. We were forced to fight in an arena setting before allowed to leave on our quest. After my character soloed 5 higher level dwarf paladins by destroying their armor and weapons with eldritch blasts, and slitting the last one's throat after he surrendered. The DM decided asking for people that made Hannibal Lecter look like Mother Teresa was a bit more than they could stomach. We never made it out of the arena before the DM came to that conclusion. Probably for the best since I had already planned on slaughtering the party for their being useless (in my character's eyes at least).
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

Monotremeancer

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2010, 06:20:29 PM »
My first D&D adventure ever was a xenophobic half-elf cleric of the god of slaughter.  she hated her heritage, and everyone who commented on it. The first guy I ended up killing was a drunk who hit on her in the tavern, decapitated him clean with a crit-roll (yes, my first attack-roll ever was a critical hit, with a scythe none the less). I "got along" with the rest of my group (human fighter and bard) even if things weren't always smooth. The adventure was something of a rip-off of Feist's "Serpentwar Saga". What drove her was hate, more or less, she hated almost everything and that which she did not hate, she tried to find reasons to hate. One of her moments was when she more or less managed to get a judge to hate our guts because she couldn't stop to try and set fire to the judge with her eyes.
Who cares for realism when you can be awesome?

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2010, 07:58:18 PM »
This thread is an example of a great evil: Misspelling "You're" as "Your".

[spoiler][/spoiler]

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2010, 08:06:59 PM »
My evil is the result of idealism crushed to death under the constant pressure and heat of a religion insisting I keep hope and faith, and a world and its people constantly proving that's a stupid, stupid thing to do.

Sort of like a diamond made out of resentment, frustration, despair, and angry suspicion of everyone that isn't me.
"We managed to make an NPC puke an undead monster."
"That sounds like a victory to me."

Tenebrus

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2010, 08:36:09 PM »
Many actors will tell you that the key to playing evil is that the guy has absolutely no clue that he is evil.  A bit different in fantasy gaming, but it can hold true.  I recall John Noble saying that his Denethor thought he was a calm, reasonable, normal guy reacting to his motives and circumstances.

This very easily moves into a general alignment discussion/bitchfest, so I'll do my part to get us off the rails.  :) I had a starting gnome rogue heading for assassin named Snuggles McCuddly who had a ferocious hatred for gnomes and how their behavior, to him, made it nearly impossible for him to be taken seriously.  He detested his home, which he left at the first opportunity, and his parents, who named him Snuggle McCuddly.  I figured he knew the value of groups and so I made him Lawful Evil.  But he wasn't "evil": he was embittered, and determined, and somewhat self-hating but he had a very neutral-ish view toward every other race.  Where does that come out on the chart?  Neutral [Neutral (Evil)]?

I'd rather have Detect Alignment tell you about personality and motives than a 2 word description of a comprehensive world-view.

ninjarabbit

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2010, 08:39:42 PM »
I played a drow sorcadin of tyranny gish who pretty much declared war on the rest of drow society, so it was pretty much me fighting evil by becoming the greater evil.

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2010, 11:22:33 PM »
This thread is an example of a great evil: Misspelling "You're" as "Your".
I assumed he meant: "Here's my evil.  Tell me yours."

Many actors will tell you that the key to playing evil is that the guy has absolutely no clue that he is evil.  A bit different in fantasy gaming, but it can hold true.  I recall John Noble saying that his Denethor thought he was a calm, reasonable, normal guy reacting to his motives and circumstances.
That's what I'm doing with my dread necro.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 11:24:56 PM by RobbyPants »
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

Gods_Trick

• King Kong
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2010, 12:24:09 AM »

My best story is still of the party I was GMing. All sociopathic nuts trying to redeem themself. Hitting 5th level, upon separating from the two 'good' players, they slaughtered a city.

What they thought as 'good' pre outright evil was hilarious though. We had captured this angsty half elf demonist and decided to torture him to talk. "Hey wait, torture is evil! Lets disguise one of us as his sis and then torture her in front of him!" After breaking him as a person, we were going through his things and found his journal that told us everything  :rollseyes

Another incident, razing a goblin settlement, we ummm .. took the kids for re-education. To be fair, it was probably safer for them, but wow, enslaving kidlets? What rhetoric can justify, we can do!

And the magnus opum, discovering a zombie plague, we decided to infect nearby troll tribes so we could create an army. And decided to buy the lands that were owned by former farmers that were infected, ostensibly as charity, but really to corner the grain market.

We were very bad people. And this was before half the party decided being 'good' was boring.

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2010, 03:26:53 AM »
Not that I recommend anyone to try anything similar in a normal game, my DM likes to choose someone every couple of campaigns to be secretly working for the bad guys...

I have done it twice...

1st time:
Had my dread necro secretly kill off party members in the night and then raise them and awaken them under my control.... they were pretty pissed but couldn't do a lot about it...

2nd time:
Strung the party along as a succubus/artificer pretending to be a runaway princess, we go on several adventures together and only then do I mention an artefact of demonic power that must be "destroyed". So we brave the depths of the dungeon and come to its resting place, we are ambushed and as my erstwhile comrades are defending themselves I take the artefact reveal my true form and teleport out. Trigging all the traps in the place Indiana Jones style...  Campaign then continues with them escaping and me joining with a new (good) character and setting out on a crusade to destroy the now all powerful succubus.

Was a really fun campaign.

Absolon

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2010, 02:23:16 PM »
I was in an evil campaign with two other guys and our party comp was as follows:

Dread Necromancer, NE (me)
Cleric of Thrym, NE with chaotic leanings
Duskblade, NE

The way we put it all together is that we were all very VERY bad men, but this evil empire that we were in (the cleric and I were outsiders) screwed us after they hired us to do job on some rebel group.  Long story short, then they started hunting us and we decided that these sons of bitches needed to be taught a lesson.  It was evil vs. evil and we basically told the good guys to stay the hell out of our way or die horribly.  Unfortunately for the good guys, they didn't listen to our warning.   :smirk

Shining moment of achievement for us was the 1st phase of our master plan.  The Gospel of Thrym was to be spread to all the common peoples through our works for them (Thrym is basically unheard of in that part of the world).  I would be the prophet of this movement, our Duskblade would be the sword, and our Cleric was/would be the Son of Thrym (his cleric actually believed this himself).  We heard about some Cult of Orcus activity in a village (I had an axe to grind with Orcus), and they were kidnapping childen, specifically little girls from the ages of 8-12.  We go to the village elder and tell him that we'd solve his problem.  I had a pretty high Int, so I had enough skill points to have a good disguise check...so I used my Hat of Disguise and my skill to look like a blond, 9 year old girl, and the elder was my "uncle."  My bluff skill was sky high, so I could mimic a little girl voice.  You can see where this is going right? :smirk

We learned that the kidnappings always happened when the girls were by themselves, so I frolicked into the forest to collect wood for my "uncle," with my party members staying a good distance behind to watch for cultists.  It was like fucking clockwork.  I had cast Aura of Terror beforehand and I was just waiting for them to come get me.  There were three of them hiding behind some trees and they slowly approached.  They got within 15 feet of me and then they hit the aura and all failed their saves.  They run away screaming, our duskblade captured one, cleric killed the other accidently and I cast Evard's to stop the other one and he died rather quickly. 

We had Speak with Dead, but living interrogation is far more satisfying.  Cleric tried to get info out of the guy (we had tied him to a tree) by threatening to kill him and the guy was defiant.  I told him to step aside and let a REAL master work.  I had forgotten to take down my disguise but I wasn't doing little girl voice anymore.  My intimidate skill was rather high anyway and this fucker spilled the beans so fast, we couldn't pick it all up!  When we were done, I told him that we'd let him go.  I have him a nice little caress on the face...with charnel touch.  We cut him loose, and threw his corpse off to the side and I used a Summoned Swarm of locusts to dispose of the body.  There was a ritual we had to disrupt that night and we were going to make those sick bastards suffer greatly...so our sick bastards could enjoy it!   :lol

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2010, 02:27:59 PM »
Not always:
The Operative: I'm sorry. If your quarry goes to ground, leave no ground to go to. You should have taken my offer. Or did you think none of this was your fault?
Capt. Malcolm Reynolds: I don't murder children.
The Operative: I do. If I have to.
Capt. Malcolm Reynolds: Why? Do you even know why they sent you?
The Operative: It's not my place to ask. I believe in something greater than myself. A better world. A world without sin.
Capt. Malcolm Reynolds: So me and mine gotta lay down and die... so you can live in your better world?
The Operative: I'm not going to live there. There's no place for me there... any more than there is for you. Malcolm... I'm a monster.What I do is evil. I have no illusions about it, but it must be done.
The operative is a real evil son of a bitch and knows it. He just feels justified in doing so.
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

dither

• Hong Kong
  • Breaking the ninth wall
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2010, 04:22:46 PM »
My evil characters tend to get more respect from the rest of the adventuring party than my good characters (in general). My evil characters tend to be ruthless, self-centered, and pragmatic, and my good characters tend to be pious, generous, and selfless. I think in practical terms, my evil characters are about on par with your average adventurer, whereas my good characters are paragons of virtue that make everyone else uncomfortable -- I have something of a history of my good characters being abandoned by the party for showing mercy, sparing enemies who've surrendered, telling the truth, refusing rewards, et cetera.

One DM ran an arena game where we all had evil characters, and asked us to pick out some monsters from the Monster Manual that we wanted to fight. I pored over the book and found the biggest, scariest, highest-level angels, archons, and devas that were susceptible to my character's powers, and went around picking fights with them. I started at the top and worked my way down the list, taunting, provoking, deceiving, seducing, and brutalizing a dozen paragons of goodness.

It was awesome. >:D
"Stuck between a rogue and a bard place."

vanity
Read my webcomic!
Dither's Amazing Changing Avatars

[spoiler]
Quote from: Shadowhunter
Quote from: Flay Crimsonwind
"Vegeta! What does the scouter say about Dither's power level?"
It's over nine thousand!

Quote from: Bauglir
Quote from: Anklebite
Quote from: dither
Well blow me down! :P
A SECTION OF THE CAVERN HAS COLLAPSED!
dither, Miner, has died after colliding with an obstacle!
[/spoiler]

Tenebrus

• Email
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2010, 07:27:07 PM »
Not always:
The Operative: I'm sorry. If your quarry goes to ground, leave no ground to go to. You should have taken my offer. Or did you think none of this was your fault?
The Operative: It's not my place to ask. I believe in something greater than myself. A better world. A world without sin.
Capt. Malcolm Reynolds: So me and mine gotta lay down and die... so you can live in your better world?
The Operative: I'm not going to live there. There's no place for me there... any more than there is for you. Malcolm... I'm a monster.What I do is evil. I have no illusions about it, but it must be done.
The operative is a real evil son of a bitch and knows it. He just feels justified in doing so.
Yet kind of fair, reasonable, even kindly at times.  Aware of his evil but certainly his alignment is Greater Good (aka Neutral Evil).  And at payoff, he was horrified by the Greater Good he served and repented.  That's what made him interesting.  Oh, and his degrees in Advanced Ass Kicking.

Aliment

• Illithid Zombies
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2010, 11:17:19 AM »
Not always:
Yet kind of fair, reasonable, even kindly at times.  Aware of his evil but certainly his alignment is Greater Good (aka Neutral Evil).  And at payoff, he was horrified by the Greater Good he served and repented.  That's what made him interesting.  Oh, and his degrees in Advanced Ass Kicking.

Eh forget the Operative.  Mrs. Reynolds still holds my heart as the best villian in the series.
True Sign of Player Paranoia:
Player:"I look out of the keep"
DM:"There are no visible armies"
Player:"Aw crap theres an Invisible army!"

bjornvikingholt

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2010, 11:35:13 AM »
Evil... until recently, my most heinous acts were commit by by CN rogue.
It started by impersonating a paladin of the god of vengeance (homebrew) in order to gain said paladin's trust and sell her stuff while she does not notice me selling drugs to the villagers. The plan quickly went downhill after she nat 20 a sense motive check and started pelting me with arrows. This led to a chase scene and her having custody of my character for his rehabilitation. Fast forward a few weeks of this chafing, and I was rather annoyed (especially at the DM for allowing this) so I hatched the following convoluted scheme. The party needed me as I was the only one that had a fast means of transport (an airship, it was one of those games) and we were flying over a desert, when the ship was attacked by cannonfire. The paladin was not in the action on account of not feeling well, courtesy of a drugged breakfast, so the only person that had a good sense motive was down and unable to realize that my plan of "descend to the ground via rope ladder and do battle while I land the ship safely" was a load of bunk. After ditching the party in the desert, including the sorcerer, an young and terrified elven child, I sold the paladin, used the proceeds to hire a band of mercenaries and attack a small feudal lord who had a grudge against me due to an altercation with his daughter.

Since then I have been banned from playing rogue or anything with a positive charisma bonus.

The more recent evil was my wizard. We found a major artifact, a Neogi starship of all things, and my wizard had as his goal the colonization of space (Had already built a space station by lax interpretations of certain rules), and after clearing it out needed to figure out how it worked. My character immediately guessed "The dying screams of newborn babies" (The answer was sentient life) and transmutes one of the bodies into a live human infant (because polymorph any object can do some freakish stuff) and plugs it into the machine. Every time the baby died, I repeated the process. The DM declared that I have perverted one of the multiverse's most sacred acts, the creation of a soul, in a revolting way and shifts my alignment to vile (Because evil was not enough) and gave me the abberation type, saying my mind works in such twisted ways that I had voided my humanity. He said it also helped that I had chain baleful polymorphed a load of people into kittens which I made into a milkshake for the party's hellfire warlock. It was one of those nights. Now, with the game scheduled to continue next semester into the epic, my wizard is set to become Cthulhu, as an abberation horror from beyond the stars (He can turn into a gibbering orb by breaking shapechange), landing on worlds and doing overall terrible things to people. I think the DM might cry.

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2010, 11:43:07 AM »
The plan quickly went downhill after she nat 20 a sense motive check and started pelting me with arrows. This led to a chase scene and her having custody of my character for his rehabilitation. Fast forward a few weeks of this chafing, and I was rather annoyed (especially at the DM for allowing this)

I'd be pissed too.  Natural 20 auto-success only applies to attack rolls and saving throws.  Natural 20 on a skill check fails unless 20 + the modifiers matches or beats the DC.
"We managed to make an NPC puke an undead monster."
"That sounds like a victory to me."

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2010, 11:50:30 AM »
Not always:

So Lawful Evil it isn't funny. He has his rules of engagement and follows them. He believes in order and will never question what he is sent after or why.