Author Topic: CrystalKeep has been deleted  (Read 49001 times)

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
Re: CrystalKeep has been deleted
« Reply #160 on: December 29, 2010, 08:15:49 PM »
ANY game has its errors, even something as simple as Battletech (who in their right minds would use an AC2 or AC5???). There is always optimising potential. It is whether people can SURVIVE without optimisation is the key. In DnD, it is impossible at high levels to be a pure unoptimised Fighter, for example, and that is pretty bad.

Unbeliever

• King Kong
« Reply #161 on: December 29, 2010, 09:09:15 PM »
+1

It's the lack of classes that are solid/viable "out of the box" (e.g., most of the TOB classes) that annoys me.  I just wish the Ranger was good at ... ranging. 

Gods_Trick

• King Kong
« Reply #162 on: December 30, 2010, 12:54:38 AM »

Two points.

I say we pool funds and buy the rights to 3.X. The Devs can have what's in 4E, Paizo can have Pathfinder, and we can do whatever we want to 3.X.
[/quote

Arrange that with someone trustworthy, BG maybe, and I'll put money in that. Quixotic gestures are always worth it.

Let's face it, RPGs are a matter of taste - some like simplicity, some like complexity. I'm also going to go out on the limb here and say that generally badly designed games really bring out the optimizers among us - because there are so many errors to exploit, or avoid. If everything always had a fixed cost, then the only remaining task of charop would be prioritizing and buying from the limited pool of features. As it is, in a system of many inequalities you can work around most problems by simply using another route to the desired target. And that's one of the things that keep this game alive at this point - the frustration. If it were perfect, then we would have to PLAY it all the time, and a lot of us can't actually do that to the degree they would like to. :)

Would we enjoy 3.X. A lot of the fun was hunting for synergy. I've been looking at F & K's Tomes, and as well thought out as they are, as fun as they are, something is missing. The badly written, horribly abusable mish mash morass of over hundreds of splatbooks culminating in glorious Pun Pun.

Yeah, I exaggerate. But, that eye to pontential? The geek scavenger hunt that the books used to be? It was fun man.