Author Topic: What does it take to be effective in melee?  (Read 60493 times)

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
Re: What does it take to be effective in melee?
« Reply #260 on: January 08, 2011, 03:10:49 PM »
Isn't Shadow Jaunt a second level maneuver, requiring IL 3? So, no, it doesn't work at L1, but available to carn's build at L5, or 3 if you shuffled the war blade up front. Would push shadow blade back, unless you instead chose a 1st level shadow hand maneuver with martial study/stance (which you could easily retrain later once you qualified for a higher level one).

Not a build breaking issue.

Warblades get Shadow Hand?
Smiting Imbeciles since 1985.

If you hear this music, run.

And don't forget:

There is no greater contribution than Hi Welcome.

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

Friends don't let friends be Short Bus Hobos.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

Here's a fun fact: You aren't. By a few leagues.
[/spoiler]

carnivore

• Grape ape
« Reply #261 on: January 08, 2011, 03:23:07 PM »
yes... if they take the feat: Martial Study, it does not say you need to have them, since the feat can be taken by non-initiators, if an initiator takes the feat, the manuver gained cannot be exchanged like a regular manuver they learn

as for adjusting the numbers .... i corrected an error that i noticed right after i posted it(i hastily rebuilt the character and didnt finish checking everything, since i had to go(work related) at the time)

my appologies about the "Martial Study(Shadow Blink,SH7)".... i was adjusting a previous build and had taken it a higher level, and did not correct the Manuver when i moved the feat ..... i was not ignoring the rules, just didnt check the manuver like i should have ... will adjust the post to reflect the correct manuver

of course as BruceLeeroy pointed out i could leave it as it is and simply add that it had been retrained out later(or pay for Psychic Reformation and change it that way as well) .... but i dont like to use those options(even though they are allowed), i prefer to adjust and play it as it stands

:D

carnivore

• Grape ape
« Reply #262 on: January 08, 2011, 03:27:21 PM »
i just rechecked ..... the feat only says you must meet the "Prerequisites" .... Shadow Blink has no Prequisites .... so it can be taken as i originally posted.... the build stands as i posted it

Senevri

• Donkey Kong
    • Art and Depression
« Reply #263 on: January 08, 2011, 03:46:15 PM »
It does say "Swordsage 7". At WB 1, your swordsage IL is 0.5, and you need Swordsage IL 13 to pick a Swordsage 7 maneuver. Still, you can make a ( insane ) argument for it, I guess.

carnivore

• Grape ape
« Reply #264 on: January 08, 2011, 03:53:58 PM »
check page 44 ToB, under the Paragraph "Level".... that says that "Swordsage 7" only refers to what Initiator Class has access to the Manuver, except that it also says in the same Paragraph: "You can learn any Manuver you like by choosing the feat Martial Study, regardless of class."

then the next Paragraph on the same page ..... "Prerequisite" ... explains what that means as well .....

the rules allow it .... just look then up

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #265 on: January 08, 2011, 04:22:05 PM »
The issue still remains with AMF and you know...Su manuevers.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Waazraath

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #266 on: January 08, 2011, 05:21:45 PM »

Isn't that an ex manouver?

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #267 on: January 08, 2011, 05:24:01 PM »

No. There's nothing in ToB that's called a 'manouver'.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

dark_samuari

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #268 on: January 08, 2011, 05:27:03 PM »

No. There's nothing in ToB that's called a 'manouver'.

Red rover, red rover, send Waazraath manouver!

carnivore

• Grape ape
« Reply #269 on: January 08, 2011, 05:27:56 PM »
 :lmao

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #270 on: January 08, 2011, 05:28:35 PM »
Manouverboard!
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

carnivore

• Grape ape
« Reply #271 on: January 08, 2011, 05:28:51 PM »
what issue?

Senevri

• Donkey Kong
    • Art and Depression
« Reply #273 on: January 08, 2011, 06:00:59 PM »
That's one of the words I have trouble with. The correct spelling is maneuver, but I do spell manoveur or maneuvre from time to time.
@Wazraath, I believe all of the shadow x teleports are Supernatural. I could see a fluff for an extraordinary teleport, that requires the ability to physically move to the target location - no getting out of stone spheres, but really really fast movement instead.

carnivore

• Grape ape
« Reply #274 on: January 08, 2011, 06:12:18 PM »
correct ... all of the Shadowhand x Teleport manuvers are Supernatural since they have the Teleportation Descriptor... thus are affected by Antimagic fields a a Supernatural ability ... see ToB,page 40 under "Martial Powers and Magic"

however, Shadow Blink only requires Line of Sight and Line of Effect, .... not the actual ability to move to the target location .... thus Shadow Blink will allow you to Teleport 50' straight up if you want

Bloody Initiate

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #275 on: January 08, 2011, 06:14:17 PM »
I could see a fluff for an extraordinary teleport, that requires the ability to physically move to the target location - no getting out of stone spheres, but really really fast movement instead.

Although the Devotion feats are Spell-like, I think the mechanics of Travel Devotion could easily have been the extraordinary teleport of which you speak. Moving your speed as a swift action is awesome, but doesn't have to be magical. Without the per day and turn attempt aspects it would've fit into ToB easily (Assuming you'd give it a per encounter limitation or something similar).

Of course, that's not how the designers saw the mechanic when they first thought of it, so it's not the case. It's a pretty easy homebrew though.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 06:16:49 PM by Bloody Initiate »
I don't employ memes. Mass-produced ammunition, even from reputable manufacturers, tends to malfunction on occasion.

carnivore

• Grape ape
« Reply #276 on: January 08, 2011, 06:18:27 PM »
Shadow Blink is better, it is a Swift Action, and since i took it when i was a Warblade, i can use the Warblade Recovery(Swift action) to get it back ..... thus i can use it every other round if needed

Bloody Initiate

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #277 on: January 08, 2011, 06:21:47 PM »
Shadow Blink is better, it is a Swift Action, and since i took it when i was a Warblade, i can use the Warblade Recovery(Swift action) to get it back ..... thus i can use it every other round if needed

Yes it is, but I was talking about how easily Travel Devotion could have been extraordinary instead of Spell-like, allowing it to work in AMFs. Shadow Blink can be suppressed by AMFs. Travel Devotion doesn't create a teleportation-like effect, it just lets you move REALLY fast.

I suppose I wasn't adding much to the conversation, but I like writing down things I think of in public places before I forget them..
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 06:39:48 PM by Bloody Initiate »
I don't employ memes. Mass-produced ammunition, even from reputable manufacturers, tends to malfunction on occasion.

Waazraath

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #278 on: January 08, 2011, 06:25:48 PM »
That's one of the words I have trouble with. The correct spelling is maneuver, but I do spell manoveur or maneuvre from time to time.
@Wazraath, I believe all of the shadow x teleports are Supernatural. I could see a fluff for an extraordinary teleport, that requires the ability to physically move to the target location - no getting out of stone spheres, but really really fast movement instead.

p40, ToB: unless the description of the specific maneuver or stance says otherwise, treat it as an extraordinary ability. Thus, these abilities work just fine in an antimagic field...." All manouvers that are supernatural have that listed at the end of their description, shadow blink, stride and jaunt don't have it. So what would make them supernatural?

carnivore

• Grape ape
« Reply #279 on: January 08, 2011, 06:32:45 PM »
the Descriptor in the Name of the Entry .....exa:

Shadow Blink[Teleportation]

look at ToB,page 44 ... under "Descriptor" .... is says that the Descriptors determine how the manuver interacts with Powers and Spells

if a Spell or Power will block a Teleportation Effect ..... it will block a Manuver with the Teleportation Descriptor as well