Author Topic: [D&D 3.5] Eberron - Tides of Blood  (Read 21432 times)

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
  • Aistii valoa auttavasti
    • Email
Re: [D&D 3.5] Eberron - Tides of Blood
« Reply #100 on: July 14, 2008, 10:32:02 PM »
I'd like to see a game where there are no full casters.
Been there. Done that. Doesn't end well >.>
That's a bit depressing.  Even with ToB?
Even with ToB.

Handy Links

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #101 on: July 14, 2008, 10:35:20 PM »
I'd like to see a game where there are no full casters.
Been there. Done that. Doesn't end well >.>
Can you elaborate on that? I don't see how a lack of full casters would result in a poor game (unless the DM wasn't adjusting for it).

You've read my CO Diary on the Totemist, right? Imagine the fight against that White Dragon with the entire party active in it. Now imagine the DM having the dragon do something smart, like strafing breath weapons or spellcasting on the wing. We had no spellcasters in our group, no magic items (until Eisin started kicking ass and taking names), and were up against a CR 11 Dragon. Oh, and no one in the group had flight.

SCREWED!

Granted, our DM was an idiot and I managed to slay the damn thing with ease (even if it was a fluke), but that's besides the point. You need spellcasting against enemies like that just to get around easily.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Rayth Molba

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #102 on: July 14, 2008, 10:41:38 PM »
The rajah idea sounds pretty cool, but I kinda like the Silver Flame idea a little more. It reminds me of the Grey Guard from Complete Divine, the idea that you cant adhere to the black and white idea of good and evil, that sometimes you have to do unsavory things to further the cause of good, which, in my case, would be to draw upon the Darkness within the Flame to help defeat evil with it's own powers. However, it is all your decision, and I will abide by whatever you decide. I don't know much about Eberron, so I don't know if this idea even works.

I was also considering being a part of the Knights Templar of the Silver Flame. It doesn't give really any benefit besides having a little more sway in Thrane and other places that respect the Silver Flame. The info is in the Player's Guide to Eberron, but I can say a little of it is you want, or I can send it in a private message.

Also, I rolled my stats on Invisible Castle, so I'm gonna link them here. If I do it wrong, please tell me how to fix it, because this is the first time I have done it lol.

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1662703/
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 10:53:36 PM by Rayth Molba »

Pan-Fried Hamster

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #103 on: July 14, 2008, 10:58:01 PM »
We're doing "take the two highest" of the three rolls, so your adjusted stats would drop the lowest result in each:

15, 15, 15, 15, 17, 17

You can use commands like 3d6.takeHighest(2)+6 if you want the program to do the busywork for you (in this case, roll 3d6, keep the highest 2 rolls, and add 6).
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 11:00:12 PM by Pan-Fried Hamster »

Rayth Molba

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #104 on: July 14, 2008, 11:00:13 PM »
Yeah, I noticed that right after I posted the link.

Does anyone else think it is weird that just about all my rolls had different results, but most of them ended up being 15?

Either way, I am fairly happy with my stats.

Oh, and thanks for the tip, that does make it easier.

Schala_Zeal

« Reply #105 on: July 14, 2008, 11:02:03 PM »
The rajah idea sounds pretty cool, but I kinda like the Silver Flame idea a little more. It reminds me of the Grey Guard from Complete Divine, the idea that you cant adhere to the black and white idea of good and evil, that sometimes you have to do unsavory things to further the cause of good, which, in my case, would be to draw upon the Darkness within the Flame to help defeat evil with it's own powers. However, it is all your decision, and I will abide by whatever you decide. I don't know much about Eberron, so I don't know if this idea even works.

If you like the idea of being a member of the church who uses the Darkness within the Flame, it's fine with me.  I think the idea works - you might want to keep that part of the doctrine secret from most of the church, since it is slightly heretical.  Maybe have some way to disguise the flame - have dark black fire that reeks of death and ash, but also be able to produce a silver-bluish light (like the silver fire the church uses) that smells of incense. 

I was also considering being a part of the Knights Templar of the Silver Flame. It doesn't give really any benefit besides having a little more sway in Thrane and other places that respect the Silver Flame. The info is in the Player's Guide to Eberron, but I can say a little of it is you want, or I can send it in a private message.

I would be fine with you being a part of the Knights Templar, so long as you don't cause too many problems with the other players.  The only other problem I have is I don't like the +2 bonus to knowledge due to the training - I don't like tangible, immediate mechanical benefits like that for joining an organization.  You could study at their libraries or consult their temples to gain the benefit, but it would not be an instantaneous type of ability.  Is that acceptable?

Pan-Fried Hamster

« Reply #106 on: July 14, 2008, 11:03:58 PM »
Hmm...any chance of getting a subforum created so we can start some OOC chatter and planning?  Since evil alignments are out anyways, I'd like to get some cooperative brainstorming started on how we might work together.  It'd be especially handy for me, since I've never played an Artificer, so I'm open to ideas on how best to help out the party.

I'm also still deciding whether to use feminine or genderless pronouns for my character--first time playing as a Warforged, too.  :D

Schala_Zeal

« Reply #107 on: July 14, 2008, 11:21:08 PM »
Hmm...any chance of getting a subforum created so we can start some OOC chatter and planning?  Since evil alignments are out anyways, I'd like to get some cooperative brainstorming started on how we might work together.  It'd be especially handy for me, since I've never played an Artificer, so I'm open to ideas on how best to help out the party.

I have submitted the request for the subforum.  Also, if anyone has any ideas on how the group might get together - so far, I have some plans for Aiu, Thordin Rockbeard, and the two druids, but no real plan for anyone else.  If all goes as plan, it won't be a standard opening, so I might give you some advanced warning to avoid the unfortunate incident of one of our members being killed by another, etc.

Rayth Molba

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #108 on: July 14, 2008, 11:34:41 PM »
Yeah, I think I am going to go with the Darkness in the Flame idea, it sounds fairly cool. I agree, the whole Darkness within the Flame idea is sorta heretical, so maybe I wouldn't run around saying where I get my power. Would it be ok if I customized what my Eldritch Blasts looked like? I like your idea, so I was thinking of making my normal Eldritch Blasts look like a gout of silver flame, in line with your idea, but not doing fire damage on it's own. Then, when I use a hellfire blast, it would be the evil-looking black fire. Is that alright?

So basically, what you are saying, is that I would have to wait until I can get access to a Silver Flame library, or the like, before I can get the bonus? I am fine with that, it seems fair. Is everyone else fine with me being a knight templar?

I am willing to go along with whatever you want for my character's entry, as long as I know about it beforehand, so I can voice any concerns.

Schala_Zeal

« Reply #109 on: July 14, 2008, 11:54:43 PM »
Yeah, I think I am going to go with the Darkness in the Flame idea, it sounds fairly cool. I agree, the whole Darkness within the Flame idea is sorta heretical, so maybe I wouldn't run around saying where I get my power. Would it be ok if I customized what my Eldritch Blasts looked like? I like your idea, so I was thinking of making my normal Eldritch Blasts look like a gout of silver flame, in line with your idea, but not doing fire damage on it's own. Then, when I use a hellfire blast, it would be the evil-looking black fire. Is that alright?

So basically, what you are saying, is that I would have to wait until I can get access to a Silver Flame library, or the like, before I can get the bonus? I am fine with that, it seems fair. Is everyone else fine with me being a knight templar?

I am willing to go along with whatever you want for my character's entry, as long as I know about it beforehand, so I can voice any concerns.

I PM'd a response to you so as not to give everything away.  Your character looks good, unless someone is going to object to Hellfire Warlock?

Rayth Molba

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #110 on: July 15, 2008, 12:50:51 AM »
I PM'd a response back  :).

Also, does anyone have any suggestions on what invocations I should take? I have never actually been able to play a warlock, so I am definitely open to suggestions about what you guys think I should take.

Pan-Fried Hamster

« Reply #111 on: July 15, 2008, 12:56:56 AM »
The one that speeds up my crafting.

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #112 on: July 15, 2008, 01:19:49 AM »
I PM'd a response back  :).

Also, does anyone have any suggestions on what invocations I should take? I have never actually been able to play a warlock, so I am definitely open to suggestions about what you guys think I should take.

Glaive, Walk Unseen, anything that duplicates spells that fucking pwn encounters. You know, the basics.

Disclaimer: The basics for Sinfire Titan involve blowing up a country at the very least. Optimally, you should be able to destroy planets once every three rounds.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Rayth Molba

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #113 on: July 15, 2008, 01:31:13 AM »
You think Glaive will be necessary? I was planning on being kind of a blaster, but I guess it could come in handy. I do have an ok Strength score...

Any other ideas on my 2 invocations?

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #114 on: July 15, 2008, 01:43:59 AM »
You think Glaive will be necessary? I was planning on being kind of a blaster, but I guess it could come in handy. I do have an ok Strength score...

Any other ideas on my 2 invocations?

Spiderwalk will help keep you out of range until absolutely need. I'd say grab something fun, but you never know what will be needed. DO ou have Darkvision? If not, then grab it and then upgrade later.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Rayth Molba

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #115 on: July 15, 2008, 01:56:11 AM »
No, I don't have darkvision. I was planning on being human, unless someone has a better idea. Spiderwalk sounds like a good idea, and I will probably get the darkvision one.

Any other opinions?

Pan-Fried Hamster

« Reply #116 on: July 15, 2008, 02:00:16 AM »
I wonder how hard it would be to make Darkvision goggles for the party.  Could later work out a slotless version, "Cat's-Eye Charm" or something.

Sin, as long as advice is being tossed around, any general Warforged Artificer tips?  I'm taking the L1 and L4 sub levels, for what it's worth.  Not sure if I want to go Buffificer or Wandificer, but the former seems to fit the character better.

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #117 on: July 15, 2008, 02:23:06 AM »
I wonder how hard it would be to make Darkvision goggles for the party.  Could later work out a slotless version, "Cat's-Eye Charm" or something.

Sin, as long as advice is being tossed around, any general Warforged Artificer tips?  I'm taking the L1 and L4 sub levels, for what it's worth.  Not sure if I want to go Buffificer or Wandificer, but the former seems to fit the character better.

If you take Buffificer, I can alleviate some of the pressure for attack buffers with my Incarnum Radiance and the shared version of it. Also, if I ask for any items, I can assure you they will be mostly esoteric in origin, as most of my Soulmelds can cover the basic combat needs.

Generally, anything that reduces the cost for Metamagic feats is worth it. You can get a load of mileage out of your Metamagic Spelltrigger ability. Grab a Rod of Many Wands for healing and such, and just blow through daily-use items whenever you feel like it (don't worry about saving them up for later). Its the truly expendable items, like Wands, that you need to keep careful track of, as those will be dead and gone before you realize it. Use daily items before those, and only use major items (Rings of 3 Wishes) when absolutely needed.

An Item Familiar (if the DM will allow it) can generate  tons of craft reserve for you, so if he lets it in just set every inch of it towards UMD and your Craft Reserve. Another good thing to have on you is a Familiar, or at least get the Homunculos UMD ranks.

Lesser Vigor is better than CLW for humanoids. Repair Light Damage is really all you can hope for with Warforged. If you can get them Lesser Schemas (from either Faerun or Eberron splatbooks) will be lifesavers. Twin Spell is practically required if you can get its cost down to two. Repeat Spell is also nice to have.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Rayth Molba

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #118 on: July 15, 2008, 02:33:02 AM »
I don't really think that I would need any darkvision items, I am probably going to take the invocation that gives it to me all day. The only items I would really need are Wands of Lesser Restoration, so I can heal the Con damage I take from hellfire blasts, but I could even make those myself, to take a little pressure off of your craft reserve. I won't need them for like a few more levels though, so it won't come up for a while.

PhoenixInferno

• Hong Kong
« Reply #119 on: July 15, 2008, 02:57:19 AM »
Disclaimer: The basics for Sinfire Titan involve blowing up a country at the very least. Optimally, you should be able to destroy planets once every three rounds.
OK, seriously Sinfire Titan - Optimization level 2.