Author Topic: [D&D 3.5] Eberron - Tides of Blood  (Read 21375 times)

AfterCrescent

• Organ Grinder
  • Here After
Re: [D&D 3.5] Eberron - Tides of Blood
« Reply #80 on: July 14, 2008, 07:24:51 PM »
I'd like to see a game where there are no full casters.
Been there. Done that. Doesn't end well >.>
That's a bit depressing.  Even with ToB?
Ah, no. That was pre-ToB. During my early days of D&D, before I actually read what spells can really do and realized magic>everything in D&D.
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

SixthDeclension

• King Kong
  • "Wit is educated insolence."
    • Email
« Reply #81 on: July 14, 2008, 07:32:40 PM »
That's a bit depressing.  Even with ToB?
Ah, no. That was pre-ToB. During my early days of D&D, before I actually read what spells can really do and realized magic>everything in D&D.
Ahhhhhh.....the ignorant days.
My choice place for buying Magic: the Gathering Singles: adventuresOn.com

Currently DMing a Solo PbP, Check it out here

Like the leaves of the forest when Summer is green,
That host with their banners at sunset were seen:
Like the leaves of the forest when Autumn hath blown,
That host on the morrow lay withered and strown.

Stratovarius

• Hong Kong
  • Player Resource Consortium
    • Player Resource Consortium
    • Email
« Reply #82 on: July 14, 2008, 08:17:44 PM »
I think every party I've been in so far here on the PbP boards (4), has turned out to be all casters or all but 1 casters.

I'd be interested in seeing it as well. I think, however, some of the other classes have enough abilities that they can perform as a capable replacement, although certainly not on the same levels. I will say it would require a good deal more optimization to approach equal power levels, and even then one spell will likely change all of that.
Arhosa Campaign World - Always Recruiting
Past, Present, and Future
Osteomancy - Rune Magic - Astral Magic
Class and Rule Collection
Player Resource Consortium
That is not dead which can eternal lie
And with strange aeons even death may die

SixthDeclension

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #83 on: July 14, 2008, 08:34:11 PM »
I'd be interested in seeing it as well. I think, however, some of the other classes have enough abilities that they can perform as a capable replacement, although certainly not on the same levels. I will say it would require a good deal more optimization to approach equal power levels, and even then one spell will likely change all of that.

We should totally do that...

Pan-Fried Hamster

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #84 on: July 14, 2008, 08:49:02 PM »
It does sound like a fun angle to take.  Of course, what counts as "non-casting" for those purposes?  Artificers may not really get much by way of spells, but they're easily turned into wand-slinging maniacs.

SixthDeclension

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #85 on: July 14, 2008, 08:50:19 PM »
Im thinking the party gets no magic whatsoever...just so I can watch them die.

Pan-Fried Hamster

« Reply #86 on: July 14, 2008, 08:56:41 PM »
Im thinking the party gets no magic whatsoever...just so I can watch them die.

"zomg!  healz pl0x!"

Rayth Molba

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #87 on: July 14, 2008, 09:05:27 PM »
Would it be ok if I join? I don't really know what I would play, so whatever you all need, I'm willing to at least think about. I always thought that warlock would be pretty fun though, but I don't know if Hellfire Warlock is allowed.

Pan-Fried Hamster

« Reply #88 on: July 14, 2008, 09:08:45 PM »
Strato summed up the party comp earlier:

So far we've got an Arti, an Alchemist (me), The Dwarf, a Druid, a DFA/Druid, and that's all I remember scrounging through the thread at the moment.

...and there's Prime's planned Psionic Soulbow to add to that list.  Between two Druids though, we have the bases covered, so you can pretty much go for whatever class looks interesting.  Also, going by Schala's previous post, Warlock is fine, but no evil alignments.

I'd say the biggest sticking point is what our max party size is supposed to be.  Starting to get quite a few people.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 09:11:18 PM by Pan-Fried Hamster »

Schala_Zeal

« Reply #89 on: July 14, 2008, 09:14:14 PM »
Would it be ok if I join? I don't really know what I would play, so whatever you all need, I'm willing to at least think about. I always thought that warlock would be pretty fun though, but I don't know if Hellfire Warlock is allowed.

Sure, there is room for you.  No evil alignments though.

Schala_Zeal

« Reply #90 on: July 14, 2008, 09:26:30 PM »
Strato summed up the party comp earlier:

So far we've got an Arti, an Alchemist (me), The Dwarf, a Druid, a DFA/Druid, and that's all I remember scrounging through the thread at the moment.

...and there's Prime's planned Psionic Soulbow to add to that list.  Between two Druids though, we have the bases covered, so you can pretty much go for whatever class looks interesting.  Also, going by Schala's previous post, Warlock is fine, but no evil alignments.

I'd say the biggest sticking point is what our max party size is supposed to be.  Starting to get quite a few people.

Here's the list of players and builds that I have so far (might not be totally accurate):

Smudgyhandsman: Vanlandinghale Clangedsson, Cleric/Ordained Champion/Crusader/Ruby Knight Vindicator of some religion (undetermined)
Stratovarius: Lledrith Ddracht, a human Wizard/Alchemist Savant/Master Alchemist (with a dragonmark of House Cannith if my notes are correct)
SinfireTitan: Unknown, was discussing being a tank
Pan-Fried Hamster: Aiu, a Warforged Artificer in Sharn
PhoenixInferno: Thordin Rockbeard, a dwarf who is a Barbarian/Warblade/Deepwarden and a member of House Kundarrak
skydragonknight: A shifter from the Eldeen Reaches that is Druid/Moonspeaker
Dictum Mortuum: An Amphibious Dragonborn Lesser Aasimir that is a Dragonfire Adept/Druid
Prime32: Possibly a soulknife/soulbow
Rayth Molba: Likely Warlock/Hellfire Warlock

I think that gives us enough, so I'll stop accepting applications at this time.  And if anyone wants to correct the above, go ahead - these are from notes that are probably incomplete.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 10:02:33 PM by Schala_Zeal »

PhoenixInferno

• Hong Kong
« Reply #91 on: July 14, 2008, 09:28:01 PM »
I'm dropping the Dragonmark angle for now.  Might go for it later.

Rayth Molba

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #92 on: July 14, 2008, 09:29:53 PM »
I wasn't planning on being evil anyway. Is Hellfire Warlock allowed though? It is in Fiendish Codex 2, but they also put a preview of it on the Wizards website. I can find it if you want me to. If it isn't allowed, I was thinking about going into Eldritch Theurge, but that is all up to your approval. Eldritch Theurge is in Complete Mage.

Schala_Zeal

« Reply #93 on: July 14, 2008, 09:40:49 PM »
I wasn't planning on being evil anyway. Is Hellfire Warlock allowed though? It is in Fiendish Codex 2, but they also put a preview of it on the Wizards website. I can find it if you want me to. If it isn't allowed, I was thinking about going into Eldritch Theurge, but that is all up to your approval. Eldritch Theurge is in Complete Mage.

Hellfire Warlock is fine.  I'd like some ideas on how you will get in (fluff, not crunch), how your character will view it, and where it comes from, but there is lots of stuff there to work with.  Also, the hellfire blasts will have a different appearance than normal fire - not sure what it will be, but it will be fairly noticeable. 

Schala_Zeal

« Reply #94 on: July 14, 2008, 09:41:51 PM »
I'm dropping the Dragonmark angle for now.  Might go for it later.

Well, I can't blame you given how the feats are set up.  Are you still going to be a member of House Kundarrak?

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #95 on: July 14, 2008, 09:51:02 PM »
Can you elaborate on that? I don't see how a lack of full casters would result in a poor game (unless the DM wasn't adjusting for it).
---
"The late, sedate, and no to great." ~Surreal

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.
Archived version of the above with working links

The Mango Index - a giant index for all things D&D and where to find them
The Mango List Reborn! - rehosted by KellKheraptis

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities
Alternative Class Features
alternative ways to get class skills

PhoenixInferno

• Hong Kong
« Reply #96 on: July 14, 2008, 09:55:26 PM »
Well, I can't blame you given how the feats are set up.  Are you still going to be a member of House Kundarrak?
Yeah.

Rayth Molba

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #97 on: July 14, 2008, 10:05:57 PM »
I haven't really thought about how I would get in, I don't know a lot about Eberron, so I don't really know how I could get in, and not be evil aligned. I am open to ideas on how, though, but I was thinking that my character could have been some kind of arcanist who found out about warlock powers, and sorta joined without reading the fine print about where his powers come from. Then he could have joined the Hellfire Warlocks to gain more power or something, I haven't really thought that out yet, but I'm open to suggestions.

He would most likely view it as something he knows is evil, but something he feels must be used occasionally in order to survive. It could come from Fernia, or maybe directly from the rakshasa rajahs, which I think works better.

If you are open to suggestions about what hellfire looks like, I always thought that black flames could look pretty cool >> but it's your choice.

Schala_Zeal

« Reply #98 on: July 14, 2008, 10:17:49 PM »
I haven't really thought about how I would get in, I don't know a lot about Eberron, so I don't really know how I could get in, and not be evil aligned. I am open to ideas on how, though, but I was thinking that my character could have been some kind of arcanist who found out about warlock powers, and sorta joined without reading the fine print about where his powers come from. Then he could have joined the Hellfire Warlocks to gain more power or something, I haven't really thought that out yet, but I'm open to suggestions.

He would most likely view it as something he knows is evil, but something he feels must be used occasionally in order to survive. It could come from Fernia, or maybe directly from the rakshasa rajahs, which I think works better.

If you are open to suggestions about what hellfire looks like, I always thought that black flames could look pretty cool >> but it's your choice.

It could come from a Rakshasa Rajah, who provides it to him without his being aware of where exactly it comes from (either directly misleading him or just answering him when he asks for "that little extra").  The Rakshasa would get an interesting pawn that it would be able to manipulate somewhat without anyone being aware of it, which would be reward in and of itself.  It would also be a distraction from an age of being imprisoned.  Or it could come from a servant of a Rakshasa.

Another angle would be to learn the power as a sect in an organized religion.  It could be a group inside the Silver Flame who believes that they need to sparingly access the Darkness within the Flame to destroy true evil, and that the Darkness can be controlled through prayers to the Flame.  Alternatively, it could be a group that either doesn't understand the evil inside of the Flame ("Can't you hear the Voice of the Flame calling for you to smite them?") or doesn't tell prospective members.  Or it could be a group that focuses on the Devourer.

Those are the options I am thinking of right now.  Anyone else have any ideas?

I am open to suggestions on the color.  Black would probably be most appropriate, if it is going to be evil themed.

AfterCrescent

• Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #99 on: July 14, 2008, 10:20:28 PM »
Can you elaborate on that? I don't see how a lack of full casters would result in a poor game (unless the DM wasn't adjusting for it).
Eh, it was a combination of a lot of things. The DM wasn't that great, most of the people were new and weren't "team-friendly."  A monk, ranger, rogue, fighter does not make for a strong party. Lots of things caused it to not end well, so I doubt the lack of full casters was the major factor, but it certainly didn't help.
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie