Author Topic: [D&D 3.5] Eberron - Tides of Blood  (Read 21371 times)

Schala_Zeal

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
[D&D 3.5] Eberron - Tides of Blood
« on: July 09, 2008, 10:22:32 PM »
Hi,

I am thinking of starting an Eberron game in D&D 3.5.  The levels of play would be starting at 3 and going to 20.  I would like to keep the optimization level to two - I am somewhat experienced as a DM but not that experienced.  Let me know of any tricks you want to pull off that you think might cause problems.  I am open to the use of splat books but would like it to be cleared by me first - if it is by WotC and isn't too overpowering, it should be ok.  I am looking for around six players, though I may increase the number slightly.

The campaign will deal with the rise of aberrant dragonmarks on Khorvaire as well as a surge in the number of undead.  Proficiency in combat is required, though the game should probably be only 1/3 combat.  The rest will be a mix of roleplaying, exploration, and investigation.  I would like to keep the campaign moving and not get too bogged down in detailed conversations, unless it is important to the storyline.  So far, I have a general outline of the campaign but can fit in some character specific material if provided.  I am on Eastern Standard Time and will probably be checking from 6 - 9 PM on Monday thru Thursday.  I won't be checking Friday or Saturday, but might check on Sunday.  I would expect people to post at least once per day on Monday thru Thursday; the more posts, the quicker the story can move along and the less likely everyone will lose interest.

I will be using freeform experience - I will still be awarding experience to avoiding too many problems with crafting, but will not be basing it off of the recommendations in the DMG.  The storyline will rise to a heroic finale where the players either save Eberron or everyone dies.  Be warned that there will likely be some serious consequences in the campaign, including hard choices to make. 

Great ways for the character to interact with the storyline would be to be of elvish or half-elvish blood (fair warning - being an elf might be *interesting* later in the campaign, though I would ask for permission before altering your character), being tied to a dragonmarked house, or being tied to dragons or the draconic prophecy.

Please let me know if you are interested, have any questions or suggestions, or think my idea sucks.

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
Re: [D&D 3.5] Eberron - Tides of Blood
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 10:33:39 PM »
What books, how should we determine stats (If I may suggest, rolling 3d6+6, drop lowest, via Invisible Castle), and are Action Points allowed?

[spoiler][/spoiler]

PhoenixInferno

• Hong Kong
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2008, 10:41:12 PM »
Sounds interesting, since my other PbP on BG's died...

Deepwarden/Silver Key...?  I must think on this.

FYI, unless you plan to level QUICKLY, expect a 3rd-20th level game to last the better part of a decade.

Schala_Zeal

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2008, 10:47:17 PM »
I have access to pretty much all of WotC's 3.5 books except for Forgotten Realms, so if you have something you would like allowed, please ask and it will probably be ok.

Allowed books (if you think something is cheesy, ask for permission): PHB, DMG, Complete series, Heroes of Battle, Heroes of Horror, and Eberron material.

I would be fine with doing 3d6 + 6 (capped at 18 prior to racial adjustments) at Invisible Castle, or doing some kind of point buy (probably 32, but I haven't had any experience with point buy). 

Action points are allowed - I'll have to brush up on those, since my group always forgets to use them.

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2008, 10:56:16 PM »
I have access to pretty much all of WotC's 3.5 books except for Forgotten Realms, so if you have something you would like allowed, please ask and it will probably be ok.

Allowed books (if you think something is cheesy, ask for permission): PHB, DMG, Complete series, Heroes of Battle, Heroes of Horror, and Eberron material.

I would be fine with doing 3d6 + 6 (capped at 18 prior to racial adjustments) at Invisible Castle, or doing some kind of point buy (probably 32, but I haven't had any experience with point buy). 

Action points are allowed - I'll have to brush up on those, since my group always forgets to use them.

A number of books are calling to me, I've been itching to rev up Eisin for some time now, maybe in Warforged form. Are you fine with Magic of Incarnum and Complete Champion? Oh, two major questions: Are flaws allowed, and will you allow a homebrew Body feat for Incarnum?

Oh, about the 3d6, its drop lowest, so it always caps out at 18 before race is added in, so no problems with that one. I'm actually testing that method for the RPG being designed on these very forums, to see if it gives a more fair distribution of stats.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

PhoenixInferno

• Hong Kong
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2008, 10:59:38 PM »
Tome of Battle?  Races series?

Pan-Fried Hamster

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2008, 11:01:47 PM »
Hm.  Lower optimization level sounds nice since I don't have much experience with it myself, aside from theorycraft.  I'm tempted to make an Artificer just for the fun of custom items.  I've never played the class before, though--since you're awarding EXP at your own discretion, are you comfortable enough doing it to have a serious crafter in the party?  I can always look at other options.

Not sure, race-wise.  Possibly Warforged for the "machines crafting machines" angle, otherwise I'd likely take a longer-lived race such as a Halfling or an Elf (more likely the former).  I'd be going with "artist" over the "compulsive crafter" mindset.

Schala_Zeal

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2008, 11:03:17 PM »
Are you fine with Magic of Incarnum and Complete Champion? Oh, two major questions: Are flaws allowed, and will you allow a homebrew Body feat for Incarnum?

I am fine with Incarnum, though I will have to brush up on it.  I am fine with Complete Champion unless whatever it is that you want is too powerful  :)

Flaws are not allowed - I'm just not comfortable with the system and would rather not deal with the result of allowing them.  I'd have to see the homebrew feat, but don't really think I would be qualified to judge its balance.  I'll take a look at it and see.

Schala_Zeal

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2008, 11:09:00 PM »
Tome of Battle?  Races series?

Both of those should be fine - sometimes I forget how many splat books WotC has for 3.5.  I need a checklist.

I'm tempted to make an Artificer just for the fun of custom items.  I've never played the class before, though--since you're awarding EXP at your own discretion, are you comfortable enough doing it to have a serious crafter in the party?  I can always look at other options.

I've never played with a serious crafter before.  It might be best for you to look at other options, though I will try to be fair.  It should be doable to have the same disparity as in the DMG - I am more getting rid of tying the experience to the CR of things you fight and allowing myself the option to award more or less for pacing reasons than getting rid of experience itself.  If you do play a crafter and have any complaints, feel free to bring them up and I will see what I can do.

Not sure, race-wise.  Possibly Warforged for the "machines crafting machines" angle, otherwise I'd likely take a longer-lived race such as a Halfling or an Elf (more likely the former).  I'd be going with "artist" over the "compulsive crafter" mindset.

Just be aware that if you play an Elf, things might get interesting later in the story.

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2008, 11:22:14 PM »
Are you fine with Magic of Incarnum and Complete Champion? Oh, two major questions: Are flaws allowed, and will you allow a homebrew Body feat for Incarnum?

I am fine with Incarnum, though I will have to brush up on it.  I am fine with Complete Champion unless whatever it is that you want is too powerful  :)

Flaws are not allowed - I'm just not comfortable with the system and would rather not deal with the result of allowing them.  I'd have to see the homebrew feat, but don't really think I would be qualified to judge its balance.  I'll take a look at it and see.

Pretty much, take the Mithral Body feat and downgrade it to normal Breastplate. Same statistical bonuses except the Max Dex Mod lowers by 2, the ACP goes up by 2, and it becomes Medium armor.

In exchange, a point of Essentia and removing the need for Split Chakra (Soul) at 24th level (not that it will come up). For looks, the plate would be fashioned from an Incarnum Dragon's scales, which will be justified in the background (though it won't gain anything else from that other than looking badass).

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Schala_Zeal

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2008, 11:29:26 PM »
Pretty much, take the Mithral Body feat and downgrade it to normal Breastplate. Same statistical bonuses except the Max Dex Mod lowers by 2, the ACP goes up by 2, and it becomes Medium armor.

In exchange, a point of Essentia and removing the need for Split Chakra (Soul) at 24th level (not that it will come up). For looks, the plate would be fashioned from an Incarnum Dragon's scales, which will be justified in the background (though it won't gain anything else from that other than looking badass).

That sounds fine with me.

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2008, 11:37:05 PM »

That sounds fine with me.

Got it, I'll have the character posted within the next 72 hours.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Smudgy

• Curious George
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2008, 11:56:41 PM »
Gah!! Must play! Already have a character idea brewing, some sort of changeling wizard, probably going into Recaster, they seem fun. I'll have a character up soon.

Stratovarius

• Hong Kong
  • Player Resource Consortium
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2008, 12:11:33 AM »
I'll certainly join up, if picked. I just had a PbP here die as well, and I'd like to get into another one. I'll have to go digging through my Eberron books for an idea.
Arhosa Campaign World - Always Recruiting
Past, Present, and Future
Osteomancy - Rune Magic - Astral Magic
Class and Rule Collection
Player Resource Consortium
That is not dead which can eternal lie
And with strange aeons even death may die

PhoenixInferno

• Hong Kong
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2008, 02:59:40 AM »
Is Unearthed Arcana generally not allowed, or just Flaws?  Say if I wanted to use a racial paragon class (heresy for almost every non-Human, I know)?

Schala_Zeal

« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2008, 07:56:01 AM »
Is Unearthed Arcana generally not allowed, or just Flaws?  Say if I wanted to use a racial paragon class (heresy for almost every non-Human, I know)?

The racial paragon classes would be fine with the right backstory.  I'm not sure about the other stuff in the book.

Dictum Mortuum

• Hong Kong
  • always female suspects
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2008, 08:04:31 AM »
Interested!
Will post character details later.

//now correct:

invisiblecastle.com/roller/search/247375/

« Last Edit: July 10, 2008, 03:27:33 PM by Dictum Mortuum »
Dictum Mortuum's Handbooks: My personal character optimization blog.

Stratovarius

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2008, 09:17:43 AM »
I'm looking at an Elf Wizard Sub into the Sandshaper class from Sandstorm (And yes, taking the whole class, if it's approved), but there's the matter of that survival prereq. There appears to be no elegant way around it yet.
Arhosa Campaign World - Always Recruiting
Past, Present, and Future
Osteomancy - Rune Magic - Astral Magic
Class and Rule Collection
Player Resource Consortium
That is not dead which can eternal lie
And with strange aeons even death may die

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2008, 03:05:57 PM »
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1657291/

There's my stats, add six to each on to get the right value. For ease, this is the final stat values:

Not bad if I say so myself. Perfect for a tank.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

PhoenixInferno

• Hong Kong
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2008, 03:22:18 PM »