Author Topic: [PATHFINDER] Oracle  (Read 14083 times)

Grobmotorix

• Monkey bussiness
[PATHFINDER] Oracle
« on: December 13, 2010, 07:00:15 PM »
Hi guys, I am going to play an oracle in a PF campaign, starting at lvl5 with 9k gp and 22 pts for attributes or a 16, 15, 14, 13, 12, 10 array.
The setting will be World of Warcraft and we are playing horde chars. Accordingly all WoW and PF material is legal with PF always trumping WoW. That being said I want to keep it to PF.
The group prolly consists of a piece of undead meat(Rogue2/Undead3), a Paladin, an undead Sorcerer(Arcane blood line), a large human BSF(Fighter2/Barbarian2/Fel-Sworn1), but those chars are not set in stone yet and maybe will be changed to avoid complications.

Race: The WoW races get a +2 bonus(Tauren WIS, Trolls loose some -2, Goblins INT, Undead don't get pimped). I will prolly go with an orc, as they use the half-orc rules from PF.

Oracles Curse: The clouded vision sounds cool, but weak. Haunted sounds strong with the additional spells, but not very stylish. Anything I'm missing here? Any cool example for Haunted in some film or so?

Mysterie: Battle sounds strong, but is a bit into the "better fighter" direction :/ Not too sure about the other mysteries. Fire looks like a lot of damage dealing, but I also dont want to cross with the sorc too much.

Feats: I am totally at a loss here :(

The attributes: I think the point buy will benefit me more. But the distribution will heavily depend on the mystery, as some substitute CHA for other stats.

Skills: didn't think too much about them yet, prolly knowledge(religion), diplomacy, intimidate, perception.

Weaponry: Greatsword or longbow sound like the optimal choices, but cost a feat/revelation while greataxe, falchion and "orc" weapons are granted by race.

Equipment: Headband of CHA +2 4k gp
cloak of resistance +1 1k gp

Spells:
0-lvl
Create Water
Detect Magic
Guidance
Mending
Virtue
Light

1st-lvl
Divine Favor
Protection from Evil
Shield of Faith
Swallow Your Fear

2nd-lvl
Hold Person
Defending Bone or Swallow Your Fear

Planning  lvl6 and 7:
1st-lvl:
Hide from Undead
2nd-lvl:
7:Desecrate
3rd-lvl:
6: Summon Monster III
7: Ainmate Dead

Concept: Hmm, not really sure yet. Depends heavily on the mystery and the curse, but they are all rather colorful so I think I won't face any problem coming up with some nice roleplay :)

Soooo, any advice, thoughts or flaming?

@edit:spells
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 06:51:30 AM by Grobmotorix »

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
Re: [PATHFINDER] Oracle
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010, 08:44:53 PM »
22 point buy build "should" be superior to the stats array.
So you're on the right track there.
Every class has dump stats or little used stuff.

I've no idea about the PF or WoW stuff,
but you could dumpster dive through the Early Level Builds guide,
over on the guides section.
I'm feeling like you have a Gish or some sort, but I don't really know.

From a 3.5e view, the Rogue 2 / Undead 3 guy doesn't make sense.
I'd bet that whatever that "Undead" is, just 1 level is needed.
U1 / Feat Rogue 2 / Something skillish 2 ... is a suggestion.

Akalsaris

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2010, 09:06:51 PM »
With 3 melee fighter types, you could consider going for a buffing-focused build, or an archer.  As far as the curse goes, I personally like the 'speak in tongues' one, as it's the easiest for you and your party to overcome with some RP and planning.

As far as mysteries go, battle looked like far and away the best to me.  I can't speak to the WoW content as I only have the older Warcraft RPG books, but if Tauren are still +0 or +1 LA and large-sized, then either be a tauren or a human :P

Sobolev

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2010, 10:48:30 PM »
Being deaf makes you randomly immune to Holy Word and the like.
Sha'ir Handbook
Binder Handbook

Quote from: Negative Zero on November 04, 2009, 02:16:14 AM
In my humble opinion, CO is haberdashery. Some say we're mad, but we can all agree we're hatters. Yes, we have potential to make very sophisticated hats, very fancy hats, be they dark or light. But the truth is that the color of the hat does not come from the group of us - our community doesn't directly produce hats. We simply give average head circumferences, list current fashion trends, and point out some shiny, obscure baubles to add to the latest hat line.

juton

• King Kong
  • Jack of all trades, master of nothing.
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2010, 11:15:32 PM »
I think people where preferring the Battle or Heavens mystery for the Oracle, either of those should be a good choice. For feats I'd consider extra revelation, as some are a bit better than feats. At your level you won't need metamagics yet so just take generic feats that will keep you alive, improved initiative helps.

Grobmotorix

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2010, 06:42:20 AM »
Seems I narrowed it down to two builds, both Oracle 5:

The efficient: Orc Oracle of Battle

Curse: Haunted

STR 16, DEX 10, CON 12, INT 7, WIS 11, CHA 17+2(orc)+1(4th lvl)+2(item)
WIS is to make the char playable, INT because I think it is fun

Revelations: Skill at Arms, Weapon Mastery

Feats: Power Attack, Additional Revelation(Battlefield Clarity), ?

Equipment: Two-handed sword, Full Plate, Rod of lesser extend, Headband of Charisma +2

The Minion Master: Orc Oracle of Bones

Curse: Clouded Vision

Revelations: Undead Servitude, Raise the Dead

Equipment: Greataxe, Breastplate, Rod of lesser extend, Headband of Charisma +2

Problem with the Bones one is, that it has no secondary role, as for going into melee the Battle mysterie, with just animate dead as a spell, is plain better. So I have no idea what that build could do while its minions march forth. Ideas?

Also reworked the spell selection a bit, but I will just edit it in the op not to bloat this post too much.

@DM golem
The array is 27 points in the PF system, but there are no peaks.
The Undead class gives him +1 STR and 1 NA at each lvl and as a capstone increases all hit dice he gets by one size.
The early lvl build guides from 3.5 are not really working for me, as feats dramatically changed.

@Akalsaris
Tauren are M now. Didn't you plan on doing an oracle guide somewhen? :)
Archer would be fine but with 3 feats, 3/4 BAB it would be a little weak, wouldn't it? Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot, Rapid fire...and prolly Weapon Proficency...
What exactly is a "buffing focused" build? Anything it has beside spell selection?

@Sobolev
Nice hint :) problem is me wanting a low INT and combined with the typical speak of somebody who cannot hear that could lead to "politically incorrect" rp which in turn would decrease the fun for one of our players.

@juton
Yeah heavens is pretty much evil, especially at lower lvls. With eagles splendor, 22 base CHA and color spray anything below 11 hd woud go straight down failing its save...which is why I will avoid it. For revelations, in bones there are not many nice choices, while in battle there is nice stuff(like moving as an immediate action).
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 06:52:34 AM by Grobmotorix »

rasmuswagner

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2010, 07:58:09 AM »
If you go Bones, you could have a byline in fear-stacking and Intimidation.

Grobmotorix

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2010, 07:52:59 AM »
Nice idea that fear stacking by demoralize. With Skill Focus[Intimidate], Weapon Focus(Spoon for laughs) and Dazzling Display I would be at 8(class skill)+3(Skill Focus)+6(CHA)+2(masterwork tool, maybe a gruesome mask?)=19. Persuasive and Intimidate could keep it viable for a few lvls more.

The DC is 10(base)+5(I need it to last at least 2 turns to stack)+9(guessed average for CR6)=24. Sounds easy enough. Somehow I doubt that I will get this past my DM, but it sure is worth a try :)

rasmuswagner

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2010, 09:31:40 AM »
With the Enforcer feat, you get a free attempt to demoralize anytime you strike someone for non-lethal damage, with improved duration as well.