Author Topic: Thread Move/Sticky + New Board Requests  (Read 9673 times)

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
Thread Move/Sticky + New Board Requests
« on: December 12, 2010, 05:16:11 PM »
Any threads you posted in the wrong section by mistake, or you'd like to see stickied? Post them here with a link, and the mods will take a look at them.

Likewise, want a subforum for a project? Let us know.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 09:31:05 AM by Prime32 »
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
The Resource Compilations Sub-Forum
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 09:32:15 PM »
I'll publicly state that I would like a subforum for Min/Max it! called Resource Compilations.

It ease the burden of our simultaneously overloaded and underused handbook subforum. Handbooks rate options for characters. They should not be A) A request from someone to build him a great new character or B) Information compilations alone (although obviously good handbooks at least mention the good options)

If modding this would seem like work (including pulling existing or incorrectly placed threads), I'll more than do the leg work. I'm more than committed enough to search through all 189 pages of min/max for qualifying threads. All I'd need would be the single ability to move threads. It would be helpful for archive purposes to be able to edit threads once inside, but if I don't warrant that level of trust then I suppose it isn't necessary.

I already have a half finished list in my build compendium but here are some highlights of why we need to both not allow these useful threads to get buried and make sure they don't clutter up the handbooks subforum, which should only really be used for "The ____ handbook" threads. I forsee two types of threads going into this new subforum single [INFO] posts without the need for addition or much discussion but more usually [COMPEDIUM] multiple post threads with the need only for addition and some discussion.

Compare:
Thread resource: -Optimized Races Niche Compendium
vs
Random thread: -Races handbook
vs
Handbook on choices.

In short. If its a thread about a class or class feature type (aka mounts, healing, fear) (or less likely, feats), its a handbook. If its compiled information for others to parouse but not the above or some discussion/build/normal threads, its probably an index or compedium. I should mention that good ideas that are too random to get off the ground don't count.
[Spoiler]
An interesting read, nice to see a civil discussion
The point of Spell Resistance is to make it harder to get buffed.
And healed. Don't forget that.
Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.
[/Spoiler]

Old Geezer's Law of Hobby Taste: The more objectively inconsequential a hobby is, the more disagreements within the community will be expressed in outrageously insulting, overblown, and ludicrously emotionally laden terms.

More Funny than Humble[Spoiler]
Quote from: PlzBreakMyCampaign
Your a shifter... you have all you ever need.
It blows MoMF out of the water

But if your greedy for more [Wish] for something that only effects you, like another class level or two that doesn't count against your ECL.
Quote from: hungryhungryhippo987
Yes, I'm the 3.0 "Masters of the Wild" shifter, the awesome kind. My favorite form to take is Force Dragon. Yes, I am immortal ... My character is hands down the coolest guy in the campaign and there is nothing I could possibly want.
PBMC gets a cookie for DotA r

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
Re: Thread Move/Sticky + New Board Requests
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 09:50:58 PM »
I'd like to propose a sub-forum in "The Playground", called "Please Delete" or some-such.  It would be a repository of sorts for all <those> threads.
Naturally, I'd also like to propose that the mod for that sub-forum be altpersona.

Thanks.

[spoiler]
If you stop ignoring 289 pages telling what the intent is to stretch "more power" in your own god complexion of your interpretation trumps all to cover ability adjustments from aging then I will ignore a quarter page of rules that exist within a sidebar.
I think in this case the grammar is less important than whether the Str and Dex bonus provided to your created undead scales.

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt
More Savage Progressions[/spoiler]
Report any wrongs I have done here.

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 01:32:40 AM »
I don't believe the difference between a handbook and a resource compilation is sufficient to merit an entire subforum for the latter. It's a matter of terminology, really. A more accurate name for the subforum would be Resource Compilations or something of the sort, but handbook is used because it sees more usage and is something of a holdover from 339. Having one subforum for these things makes it easier to find the one you want via the search function and is easier for visitors and new members to use.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2011, 03:44:16 AM »
I don't believe the difference between a handbook and a resource compilation is sufficient to merit an entire subforum for the latter. It's a matter of terminology, really. A more accurate name for the subforum would be Resource Compilations or something of the sort, but handbook is used because it sees more usage and is something of a holdover from 339. Having one subforum for these things makes it easier to find the one you want via the search function and is easier for visitors and new members to use.
Seconded, most of those resources are basically handbooks by another name.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
  • BG forum Emperor Ad Litem
    • Altpersona.net
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2011, 02:33:03 AM »
I'd like to propose a sub-forum in "The Playground", called "Please Delete" or some-such.  It would be a repository of sorts for all <those> threads.
Naturally, I'd also like to propose that the mod for that sub-forum be altpersona.

Thanks.

I think this idea has merit and deserves more attention.

The goal of power is power. - idk
We are not descended from fearful men. - Murrow

The Final Countdown is now stuck in your head.

Anim-manga sux.

Iskajir

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2011, 12:07:15 PM »
This may or may not need to go to the Handbook forum. It seems that a lot of people want to reference it.

http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=12661.0

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2011, 10:29:13 PM »
I'm going to do the work soon I just want to know if its going to be over here or not.
[Spoiler]
Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.
[/Spoiler]

Old Geezer's Law of Hobby Taste: The more objectively inconsequential a hobby is, the more disagreements within the community will be expressed in outrageously insulting, overblown, and ludicrously emotionally laden terms.

But if your greedy for more [Wish] for something that only effects you, like another class level or two that doesn't count against your ECL.
Yes, I'm the 3.0 "Masters of the Wild" shifter, the awesome kind. My favorite form to take is Force Dragon. Yes, I am immortal ... My character is hands down the coolest guy in the campaign and there is nothing I could possibly want.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2011, 11:47:51 PM »
I'm going to do the work soon I just want to know if its going to be over here or not.
No one has any objections to you gathering up threads that people use as resources when building characters. However, every handbook is a resource people use when building characters. If there is a difference between the two types of threads you mention, then you have not managed to communicate it. In your words a handbook "rate options for characters", but your Optimised Races Niche Compendium is a thread people would go to to find which races are good; thus by that definition it is a handbook. ??? The only difference I can see between that thread and the Race Handbook is that the latter is incomplete. You said that threads on "a class or class feature type" are handbooks, then said that a thread on artificer item crafting was not a handbook but a thread on item crafting in general was.

If the regulars here can't see a difference, how is an outsider expected to? "I'm looking for resources on building a warlock. Hey, this section says it's Resources! Nope, BG doesn't have anything on warlocks." Those are the main audience, and confusing them would defeat the point of the threads existing in the first place.

The name "Handbooks" isn't any more meaningful than the name "swordsage". It's called that because many of the resource threads people wanted to save from 339 had "handbook" in the title, but that is not a requirement (e.g. "Warlock Information Compilation"). It could probably have a better description than "a collection of handbooks", mind.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 11:49:22 PM by Prime32 »
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Slaughterhouserock

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • Hail to the king, baby.
    • Horror Movie Fans
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2011, 08:02:40 AM »
Putting in a request to move this thread to the PF board.
The DM giveth and the rogue taketh away.
I have a 5 in Charisma and Diplomacy is a cross-class skill.  Hopefully I don't piss off too many people.

radionausea

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2011, 10:50:43 AM »
I don't think that it should be moved.  As far as I know the min/max boards are not specifically for 3.5.  If the 'ask a simple question...' for pathfinder were to be moved then it stands to reason that the other ask a simple question threads should be moved to the Deliberation section.
Stronghearted halflings do not exist.

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2011, 07:32:18 PM »

[spoiler][/spoiler]

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2011, 10:15:18 PM »
every handbook is a resource people use when building characters
Close. Handbooks list relative options on a specific aspect of character building, most notable base classes.

If there is a difference between the two types of threads you mention, then you have not managed to communicate it. In your words a handbook "rate options for characters", but your Optimised Races Niche Compendium is a thread people would go to to find which races are good; thus by that definition it is a handbook.
:( The optimized races thread does not discuss the merits of this race over that. It simply lists the most optimal for specific purposes. So no, it doesn't really rate options, which would be listing every race and then discussing why the OP does or does not like it, preferably with colors or asterisks.

a thread on artificer item crafting was not a handbook but a thread on item crafting in general was.
Um. Maybe you are paying attention to the title of the book and not the contents, but that list is a compendium useful for many different classes like a cleric that needs to see if he can anyspell something good. It honestly has very little to do with the artificer class. Indeed, if that class were to not exist at all, I would hope said list would be created all the same...

If the regulars here can't see a difference, how is an outsider expected to? "I'm looking for resources on building a warlock. Hey, this section says it's Resources! Nope, BG doesn't have anything on warlocks." Those are the main audience, and confusing them would defeat the point of the threads existing in the first place.
You got me there. Handbooks should have a more intuitive name. For noobies mentioning base classes might be a very good idea.
[Spoiler]
[/Spoiler]

EjoThims

• Grape ape
  • The Ferret
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2011, 06:37:04 PM »
Handbooks list relative options on a specific aspect of character building, most notable base classes.

That may be your personal preference on how to use the term, but that overly restrictive definition is not how the general populace of these boards use the term.

Call your threads whatever you want, they still fall into the same category that the people here use the name "handbook" for.

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2011, 08:54:57 PM »
ok fine
[Spoiler]
[/Spoiler]

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2011, 05:17:03 PM »
Thats the situation for the thread definitions. :D
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Waazraath

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2011, 05:50:18 PM »
Since this one: http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=10057 is mentioned in the handbook index, it might be moved to the handbook section?

Thnx!

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2011, 12:33:36 AM »
I think that http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=6448.0 might ought to go to the "Off-topic Fun" forum.
while it may be specifically about RPG stuff, the nature and intent, I think, makes it more appropriate to off-topic fun.

(never mind that I seem the only one interested in it)

[spoiler]
If you stop ignoring 289 pages telling what the intent is to stretch "more power" in your own god complexion of your interpretation trumps all to cover ability adjustments from aging then I will ignore a quarter page of rules that exist within a sidebar.
I think in this case the grammar is less important than whether the Str and Dex bonus provided to your created undead scales.

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt
More Savage Progressions[/spoiler]
Report any wrongs I have done here.

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2011, 04:02:36 PM »
The current Tiers thread has hit the 51 pages mark.

[spoiler][/spoiler]