Author Topic: Sundry Discussions  (Read 42556 times)

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
Re: Sundry Discussions
« Reply #220 on: December 24, 2010, 04:33:47 AM »
Err... Can? Dude, try this. In a bag.

Epimetheus

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #221 on: December 24, 2010, 08:01:37 PM »
Yuck. That sort of thing belongs in a spell component pouch.

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #222 on: December 24, 2010, 08:41:30 PM »
Laff! Let me know when everyone's ready to go.

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #223 on: December 24, 2010, 10:26:48 PM »
Kim is ready to go when the party is. Also her load will get lighter as we travel since her biggest weight items are her sling bullets, rations, and torches. Those should go pretty quick or could be dropped if we start finding some money and have a possibility to buy more.
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

Epimetheus

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #224 on: December 24, 2010, 10:40:47 PM »
I'm ready to continue too.

It seems we're following these tracks while also keeping an eye out for other potential food sources. And danger.

raith0

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #225 on: December 25, 2010, 12:02:47 AM »
Krak is good to go but i know for a fact that i wont be posting tomorow or maybe sunday depending on how busy the holiday gets.  sorry if i slow us down a touch

and merry christmass and all that

Flay Crimsonwind

• Hong Kong
  • Watching the World Burn in Magnificence
    • Email
« Reply #226 on: December 25, 2010, 05:00:26 AM »
Same here, sporatic posting over the weekend, full on back on sunday. Happy holidays all!

And yeah, Ivarlan's ready to go.

Shadowhunter

• Hong Kong
« Reply #227 on: December 25, 2010, 02:40:04 PM »
Shimala is good to go. Got my 1 persisted spell up, have eaten, got my armor on me. Only thing lacking now is a crossbow in hand, but that's just a Move action away, so there's no need to do that now.
[Spoiler]
Quote from: Runestar
the most effective optimization is the one you can actually get away with.  :smirk

Quote from: Vinom
(A group of nerds are called a murder because like crows we are anti-social, like shiny things, and often squack at each other over nothing for hours)

I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/quote]
[/spoiler]

Binder? You're Welcome

Zceryll makes Binders go from tier 3 to tier 2.
Cagemarrow is a Genius

Before giving the advice that build X would be better of with Fist of the Forest, take a long, good look at Primal Living. Twice.

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #228 on: December 26, 2010, 01:54:27 AM »
Mandoor, the Survival check referred to is in the same post, not the previous post.

Taking 10 on a Track check would require you halve your movement again, Flay. Besides, you are failing check regularly enough to be amusing :P

Mandoor

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #229 on: December 26, 2010, 02:12:49 AM »
O, I will re-roll and change my post . Thank you for clarifying that up for me.

Flay, I believe its the situation that put you as the leader since this is a hunt and that is where a Ranger shines. On a hunt, I would like a ranger in charge instead of a king who only know court things. 
« Last Edit: December 26, 2010, 02:32:49 AM by Mandoor »

Flay Crimsonwind

• Hong Kong
  • Watching the World Burn in Magnificence
    • Email
« Reply #230 on: December 26, 2010, 02:53:09 AM »
Mandoor, the Survival check referred to is in the same post, not the previous post.

Taking 10 on a Track check would require you halve your movement again, Flay. Besides, you are failing check regularly enough to be amusing :P
All my hate!  :shakefist

Just kidding, in that case I'll fail up a couple more tracking rolls for you.  :p

-EDIT- I was totally joking. Be back, gotta go burn a candle and sacrifice a goat to the dice gods.

Cannot believe I missed the extra info...
« Last Edit: December 26, 2010, 03:05:24 AM by Flay Crimsonwind »

Epimetheus

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #231 on: December 26, 2010, 04:33:03 AM »
I'm happy we haven't been attacked over night. We survived one day! Yay.

As for how the group is working together, I'm fine with how Matt is displeased with Ivarland. I'd find it unrealistic if everybody was somehow getting along perfectly. The dynamic will get more and more interesting in the face of adversity. We also do have enough people to split the party, if it comes to it. And it'll probably happen at some point. (If the casters would line up over here... and the fighters over there..., then AJ can off both groups easily. :D)

Are people okay with reading a ton of Claude's internal thoughts/worries? He's too introverted to speak aloud most of the time, and I figure that it's the best way to get across how he feels. (Just try not to respond to what he's thinking/worrying about, and we'll be fine.)

---

AJ, can we try to forage/catch whatever we can (very) easily get while following the tracks or after setting up camp? We might find very little, but that's better than nothing. (The goal is to find food, after all.) Since it's a passive background task, I suppose this could be a take 10 situation too.

---

Important: Since a day has passed, we all consume one of the rations we were carrying.

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #232 on: December 26, 2010, 07:03:37 AM »
You are travelling at half-speed. If the non-trackers want to, they can make a Survival check to see what they find along the way.

And I think I know why Flay's wolf is not helping him: He hasn't been making Handle Animal checks to get the thing to move :P

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #233 on: December 26, 2010, 04:36:34 PM »
archangel.arcanis, it's rather common for the minority women to band together, so I hope you don't mind ;)
It is all good. I figured as the only 2 females in the party they would look to each other a fair bit. Also seeing as you are a healer Kim would prioritize you over the warriors anyway, being a girl just gives you a nudge over the shaman  :P
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #234 on: December 26, 2010, 07:57:13 PM »
Guys, for your referrence:

Survival DC 10 - Get along in the wild. Move up to one-half your overland speed while hunting and foraging (no food or water supplies needed). You can provide food and water for one other person for every 2 points by which your check result exceeds 10.

In this terrain, because of the persistent cold nd stuff, add 2 to the DC.

So, Survival 12+ will net you stuff to eat for the day (berries, tubers and other things). Every 2 points above that, you gather enough for someone else for the day (about 2 lb of vegetable foodstuff).

PS, who is looking over Shimala's shoulder?
« Last Edit: December 26, 2010, 08:08:42 PM by AndyJames »

Epimetheus

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #235 on: December 26, 2010, 09:44:18 PM »
I'm guessing those less disposed to tracking are looking at whatever Shimala's found. Shimala, Kim, and Claude presumably see whatever's there, at least.

(So then 13 on Survival means 1 lb of 'vegetable foodstuff'. Cool.)

It seems that this survival rule favors groups that roll for it. Because the payoff for rolling high (extra food) is greater than the loss of rolling low (zero food). So roll people, roll!

Shadowhunter

• Hong Kong
« Reply #236 on: December 26, 2010, 10:56:46 PM »
So I just found foodstuffs for 6 people.
Wow.
Neat.
[Spoiler]
Quote from: Runestar
the most effective optimization is the one you can actually get away with.  :smirk

Quote from: Vinom
(A group of nerds are called a murder because like crows we are anti-social, like shiny things, and often squack at each other over nothing for hours)

I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/quote]
[/spoiler]

Binder? You're Welcome

Zceryll makes Binders go from tier 3 to tier 2.
Cagemarrow is a Genius

Before giving the advice that build X would be better of with Fist of the Forest, take a long, good look at Primal Living. Twice.

Mandoor

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #237 on: December 27, 2010, 12:15:56 AM »
So I just found foodstuffs for 6 people.
Wow.
Neat.

Good Job. Keep it up.

Hallack

• Hong Kong
« Reply #238 on: December 27, 2010, 11:57:24 AM »
Good, glad others brought foraging while tracking up.  Was going to myself.  

On the roller linking.  I use the BB Code option.  

BTW, I'm back.  Nice, yall have moved along nicely.

Also, while many are not "hunters" most would have decent general knowledge of living in our environment.  ie, names of common local game and even characteristics of them.  Heck, many of the non-hunters have probably even spent a fair amount of time cleaning and preparing foods brought to the village.  

As pointed out we don't want to fixate too much on this particular big game.  We could very well come across other game (big or small).  In absence of better prospects though chasing the current tracks is good.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 12:29:32 PM by Hallack »
Placeholder - T'tosc

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #239 on: December 27, 2010, 01:01:50 PM »
I saw we draw the wolves in and use them as the game meat instead :P
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]