Author Topic: Dracolyte - any good at all?  (Read 3951 times)

Waazraath

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
Dracolyte - any good at all?
« on: December 11, 2010, 07:38:23 AM »
When I was looking at ways to improve the number of spells/day a paladin can cast, I found the Dracolyte prestige class from Draconomicon. D8, full divine casting, two good saves, and rather uninteresting special abilities, with one big exception (ok, the ability to summon a draggon at level 10 may be nice as well): at first level, you get one of 2 'prestige domains', based on alignment, either glory or domination. The special abilities aren't very special (stronger turning check and spell focus (enchantment), the spell list are ok...

but the catch is: "if the prestige domain is the  characters only domain, he gains the ability to cast a domain spell of each spell level to which he has access once per day, in addition to those spells he already casts".

Effectively: a 1 level dip in dracolyte gives classes like archivist, favoured soul, paladin and ranger an extra spell / day of each level.

Downside: with two sucky feats as prereq (dragonfriend, toughness) it's not really an option for the feat starved paladin, and it only remain "extra spells" as long as you don't have any domain slots (so no contemplative, ordained champion, seeker of the misty isle and church inquisitor).

Still: is this worth it / can this be made worth it?

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
Re: Dracolyte - any good at all?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2010, 04:19:57 PM »
Domination isn't that bad, although it's likely not worthwhile to have each of those spells prepared every day.  Maybe instead use Domination with a Psion that's picked up the Planar Touchstone feat.  Pierce Mind Blanks and then Dominate them nigh-permanently.

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2010, 05:18:36 PM »
The thing is, it's just reiterating what the rules for adding a domain were at the time.  (See Defenders of the Faith, page 77.)  The rules for adding a domain have changed since then to remove that benefit.  (See Complete Divine, page 20.) 

Also, the entire concept of prestige domains was done away with.  All the material reprinted from Complete Divine on converts prestige domains to normal domains.  In fact, the two domains granted by dracolyte, domination and glory, have both been reprinted and are no longer prestige domains. 

Since the class wasn't an exception to the rules at the time it was written, I think it should continue to not be an exception to the rules now that the rules have changed. 

Waazraath

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2010, 05:29:48 PM »
Ah, that explains... thnx!

Akalsaris

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2010, 05:50:59 PM »
Beyond that, it's still not a bad PrC, just not an alarmingly powerful one either.  I used it in a cleric I played very briefly who was focused on building a draconic army.

Waazraath

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2010, 06:14:30 PM »
Nah, of course, it has full casting so can't be too bad :) But I was specifily looking at the ability for the prestige domains (as a way of gaining more spells/day), but if that's a vestige of 3.0 rules then I know enough.