Author Topic: Breaking Truenaming  (Read 5758 times)

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
Re: Breaking Truenaming
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2010, 09:00:00 PM »
Truename Dispel is actually a Bard 6/Wiz 8/Clr 8 spell that requires a Truenaming check to perform.  If you only keep it for special occasions or cast it a few times a day, then it's a really powerful spell.

That said, the Truenamer itself really just doesn't work.  Without doing something cheesy like using Item Familiars, you're just not going to be able to keep up with the rate at which your Truespeak DCs increase.  If you do something cheesy like using Item Familiars, then you're going to have basically unlimited use of all your utterances against monsters much tougher than you are.

BeholderSlayer

• Hong Kong
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2010, 09:54:50 PM »
12 (ranks) + 2 (masterwork item) + 3 (skill focus) + 5 (some sort of item) +2 (aid another)
From what I'm seeing, it's 12 ranks + 4 (INT) + 3 (skill focus) + 5 (lesser amulet of the silver tongue (truespeak))

A level 20 character could reasonably have:
23 ranks + 12 (INT) + 3 (skill focus) + 10 (greater amulet of the silver tongue (truespeak), enhancement bonus) = 38 before incorporating custom items or item familiars.

Allowing custom items picks up a possible additional +30 (competence) bonus, so that's 58 before item familiars.

What is the Affiliation bonus that CantripN cites? There's 68 before item familiars. 70 with a masterwork tool. 93 with an item familiar.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 10:01:01 PM by BeholderSlayer »
Hi Welcome
[spoiler]
Allow me to welcome you both with my literal words and with an active display of how much you fit in by being tone deaf, dumb, and uncritical of your babbling myself.[/spoiler]

CantripN

• Hong Kong
  • Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2010, 07:43:59 AM »
There's one in Complete Champion. Not near my books, so I can't tell you which one it is (...although I think it's the Paragonistic Assembly). Can give up to +10 Truespeak.

And Illumians not only have the perfect Fluff for a Truenamer, but get a Racial Bonus to INT based skills with the right sigil, which includes Truespeak.

Heroism gives an additional +2 Bonus (Morale), and can be around all day long.

Leadership to get a Cohort with Marshal 1 and Motivate Intelligence grants you his CHA bonus to Truespeak. If you have the levels for it, take that level yourself, and get all sorts of bonuses to CHA based skills, like the Admiral's Bicorn (Stormwrack).
« Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 07:55:25 AM by CantripN »
Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to be always part of unanimity.

Aharon

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2010, 08:57:09 AM »
@X-Codes
Actually, I would say that with cheese, Truenamer works out ok. The utterances are similar in power as Warlock invocations (barring a few exceptions like Gate), and his main offense, Greater Word of Nurturing, maxes out at about 30d6 single target damage. (Mind you, that's already mortalbane'd and empowered). With Rebuild Item use, he becomes much stronger, especially if all kinds of sources are allowed. But how much stronger depends on which interpretation for the Laws of Sequence and Resistance you follow. If you take RAW, it's a large boost, if you take the rules the way the example intends them to work, it's only medium size.

Overall, I would say that a completely cheesed Truenamer (Polymorph to Garbler) breaks the game, because he can deal arbitrarily large damage, no save, no SR, to anything.
A strongly cheesed Truenamer works out somewhere between Tier 2 and 3, so he's ok to play in game.

@TML
You really, really need concealment though, if you use that trick. It lowers your AC by the same amount, so even a commoner 1 with STR 1 will hit you 95% of the time if you don't have it.

@Beholderslayer/CantripN
It is the Paragnostic Assembly, correct.
If you take Leadership, you might also consider an Artificer cohort, because he can create lots of +Truespeak stuff you need, and has access to the Skill Enhancement infusion and the infusion that changes bonus types of items. Using that a lot, you can reach the same levels you would with an Item Familiar (If your DM accepts Dodge Boni to Truespeak, that is  ;))

« Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 09:16:06 AM by Aharon »
By clicking this link, you open a pop-up, but I get a eurocent for my current wish, the 5th book of the Wheel of Time series. Please note that this only works if you leave the pop-up opened till it has finished loading. Thank you!