Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer (For DMs)  (Read 42690 times)

Necrosnoop110

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • Email
Re: Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer (For DMs)
« Reply #180 on: October 20, 2011, 12:32:30 AM »
Q 44: Where are the rules for dead magic zones?

Q 45: Are there other "magical environment/effects" in 3E and what books are they located in?

Thanks,
Necro   

Mooncrow

« Reply #181 on: October 20, 2011, 12:49:36 AM »
Q 44: Where are the rules for dead magic zones?

Q 45: Are there other "magical environment/effects" in 3E and what books are they located in?

Thanks,
Necro  

A44 Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting, page 56

A45Eberron has manifest zones, covered in the Eberron Campaign setting (various, mostly page 271 for the effects)

I don't know of any others offhand.  
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 02:52:07 AM by Mooncrow »

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
  • Wishing I was a raging Norseman
« Reply #182 on: October 20, 2011, 02:29:34 AM »

A 45: the only other ones I can think of are planar traits (impeded magic and enhanced magic).  Look in MotP and Planar Handbook.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

KSB Snow Owl's Archer Build thread

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
  • Wishing I was a raging Norseman
« Reply #183 on: October 25, 2011, 05:21:23 PM »
[spoiler]So in my campaign world there are no magic shops to just go buy or upgrade whatever you want, so I asked my players to tell me two specific items they want for their characters, so I can place them in the campaign.  One of my barbarians has a +1 greatsword (his father's sword - it was stolen, he recovered it, and that is how he met the party), and one of his "wants" is to have it upgraded to a +1 Berserker Greatsword (I'll let him choose which version of berserker, too).

My campaign is about to start following the framework of Red Hand of Doom, so I figure I'll place a +1 Berserker greatsword in place of the +1 Frost Bastard Sword that is hidden in the vault of Vraath Keep, but I don't want the party to keep the one they've got, so I'm going to replace the minotaur bodyguard "champion" in Vraath Keep with a Tanarukk Fighter 2/Barbarian 2 that has Power Attack, Leap Attack, Improved Sunder, Imp Bull Rush, Combat Brute, and Shock Trooper (CR 6/GCR 5 - my party is gestalt, and will be 7th level by then).  He will charge into battle after a few rounds have gone by, Leap Attacking to sunder the Party Barb's +1 Greatsword with a +1 Great Axe (+27 vs the PC's +13-ish opposed attack roll; 1d12+32 damage [+1 greatsword has 32 hp's]), and following that up with a Sundering Cleave.  At that point, his AC will be 6, and will probably be barely alive come round 2.[/spoiler]

So, I will take away the character's father's sword (he doesn't have any attachment to his father, who disowned him), but will almost immediately replace it with the "upgraded version." (assuming they search the keep).

Q 46: Is this too dirty of a thing for a DM to do?

Q 47: When using the Heedless Charge ability of Shock Trooper, when does the penalty to your AC apply?  Only after you've attacked, or would it apply to any movement-related AoO's you incur while charging?
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

KSB Snow Owl's Archer Build thread

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #184 on: October 25, 2011, 05:30:19 PM »
Q 46: Is this too dirty of a thing for a DM to do?

Q 47: When using the Heedless Charge ability of Shock Trooper, when does the penalty to your AC apply?  Only after you've attacked, or would it apply to any movement-related AoO's you incur while charging?
A 46 It'll seem like it at the time, but once the players realize it was plot device based, they should forgive. Might not like that they couldn't at least sell it for half.
A 47 It's supposed to be during the charge when the base -2 happens.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

Necrosnoop110

• Email
« Reply #185 on: October 25, 2011, 06:28:52 PM »
Q 47: One of my characters wants a "dragon rider" warrior type, aka a tough-guy who rides a dragon. What are some good class/prestige options? (I"m DMing a non-optimized 3.5 D&D group)

Mooncrow

« Reply #186 on: October 25, 2011, 06:34:23 PM »
Q 47: One of my characters wants a "dragon rider" warrior type, aka a tough-guy who rides a dragon. What are some good class/prestige options? (I"m DMing a non-optimized 3.5 D&D group)

Dragonrider (Draconomicon)
Paladin with a dragon cohort as mount
Dragon Rider (Dragonlance Campaign Setting)

are the ones that come to mind, though the first one is kind of meh.

But check out the Draconomicon in general for this, the "dragons as mounts/cohorts/etc" section starts on pg136 and covers a fair amount of ground.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 06:38:28 PM by Mooncrow »

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #187 on: October 26, 2011, 07:07:59 AM »
A46

Why not instead unlock new abilities in the original weapon(possibly by stabbing the right magical dohicky given the desired enchantment)? It seems to me that there'd be an emotional attachment to the old weapon, and finding new powers within heirloom weapons isn't all that uncommon.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 07:14:51 AM by veekie »
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #188 on: October 26, 2011, 07:10:14 AM »
A36 A46

Why not instead unlock new abilities in the original weapon(possibly by stabbing the right magical dohicky given the desired enchantment)? It seems to me that there'd be an emotional attachment to the old weapon, and finding new powers within heirloom weapons isn't all that uncommon.
Think you meant a higher number.

But you're right though. Maybe it's actually a legacy weapon. That could be it's own campaign right there.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

Necrosnoop110

• Email
« Reply #189 on: October 29, 2011, 02:44:03 PM »
Q 48: Does the cantrip Message require line of sight? At first use? On subsequent rounds? The spell says "You point your finger at each creature you want to receive the message" so what if you have line of effect but not line of sight, can you "point" to a target you cannot see?

Tactically this spell seems way overpowered for a cantrip - virtually unfailing communication over medium duration and range.