Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer (For DMs)  (Read 42689 times)

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
Re: Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer (For DMs)
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2010, 04:12:51 AM »
5. Print out the page using a PDF converter. PrimoPDF is pretty good, but it has drawbacks.

6. Halve it and make it DR/good (maybe silver as well, depending on how high the CR is supposed to be; take a look at the MM devils for inspiration).
Didn't even know such a thing was possible.

It's a lot more difficult than that. The main reason I'm looking for the conversion is you've got dragons (unnamed, but I'm kind of guessing red dragons), half-dragons (again unnamed), creatures with DR 20/+6 (I'm guessing epic), half breeds, and other creatures that simply don't exist outside of the module.
Yes. DR x/+6 is definitely DR x/epic.

Dragons are always DR x/magic. So are half-fiends. The rest is up to you. You're the DM.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2010, 04:14:23 AM »
5. Print out the page using a PDF converter. PrimoPDF is pretty good, but it has drawbacks.

6. Halve it and make it DR/good (maybe silver as well, depending on how high the CR is supposed to be; take a look at the MM devils for inspiration).

It's a lot more difficult than that. The main reason I'm looking for the conversion is you've got dragons (unnamed, but I'm kind of guessing red dragons), half-dragons (again unnamed), creatures with DR 20/+6 (I'm guessing epic), half breeds, and other creatures that simply don't exist outside of the module.

Dragons are always DR x/magic. So are half-fiends. The rest is up to you. You're the DM.
That's the problem. I don't like it being up to me. I don't exactly know what I'm doing. Hence why I'm asking if there's a conversion for the module.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2010, 04:18:24 AM »

That's the problem. I don't like it being up to me. I don't exactly know what I'm doing. Hence why I'm asking if there's a conversion for the module.
LEARN!

:P

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2010, 04:19:15 AM »
LEARN!

I think you mean "make $#!t up on the spot".

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2010, 04:22:37 AM »
LEARN!

Wasn't that hard to figure out, was it? Welcome to DM-hood.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2010, 04:24:59 AM »
Wasn't that hard to figure out, was it? Welcome to DM-hood.[/quote]
It is, actually, yes.

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2010, 04:38:54 AM »
Wasn't that hard to figure out, was it? Welcome to DM-hood.
It is, actually, yes.
[/quote]

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/files/DnD35_update_booklet.zip

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2010, 04:42:40 AM »
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/files/DnD35_update_booklet.zip
I have one, but thanks. It's not really the best update booklet they could have given, but at least it was a start. It explains things, but leaves it too open to interpretation. Even they barely follow it in their 3.5 updates of other books.

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2010, 04:43:54 AM »
This is true but that is as close as rules come to converting a lot of the more esoteric parts of 3.0

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2010, 10:29:52 AM »
Q 4 I'm reading over an adventure module that actually says "The adventuring party should consist of five to seven characters that are single classed and from 13th to 15th level. Multiclass characters should have a total character class level of from 16th to 18th level." Are mutliclass characters really that weak by comparison to single class characters?

Who wrote it? I have a guess as to who.
Smiting Imbeciles since 1985.

If you hear this music, run.

And don't forget:

There is no greater contribution than Hi Welcome.

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

Friends don't let friends be Short Bus Hobos.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

Here's a fun fact: You aren't. By a few leagues.
[/spoiler]

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2010, 10:36:46 AM »
Q 4 I'm reading over an adventure module that actually says "The adventuring party should consist of five to seven characters that are single classed and from 13th to 15th level. Multiclass characters should have a total character class level of from 16th to 18th level." Are mutliclass characters really that weak by comparison to single class characters?

I... don't actually. I can totally see either WotC or Paizo saying that.
Suffice it to say, whoever wrote that line didn't know what they were saying and you should ignore them.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

Necrosnoop110

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2010, 10:49:47 AM »
Q 5 How do I go about making this http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/ch/ch20001225b adventure into a pdf so I don't have to worry about accessing it online while gaming with the group?
Copy the url and paste it into this.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2010, 01:29:24 PM »

It doesn't say. It gives the editor, lead designer, the cartographer, typesetter, creative director, art director, and artwork person, but not the person responsible.

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2010, 01:43:02 PM »
So, blame the editor and lead designer?
Smiting Imbeciles since 1985.

If you hear this music, run.

And don't forget:

There is no greater contribution than Hi Welcome.

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

Friends don't let friends be Short Bus Hobos.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

Here's a fun fact: You aren't. By a few leagues.
[/spoiler]

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2010, 01:48:19 PM »
So, blame the editor and lead designer?
Possibly. I still find it confusing as to why they'd say that, because personally I'd figure a cleric 10/radiant servant of pelor 10 would be just as powerful, if not more powerful than a cleric 10. Maybe they're referring to those who'd do something like barbarian 6/rogue 2/cleric 5/sorcerer 4/fighter 2/rage mage 1.

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2010, 01:50:41 PM »
That is because Cleric/RsoP isn't multiclassed he is Prestige classed.  ;)

I would say blame the editor since he/she has the final responsibility of checking the product before it goes out, and well that is too idiotic a statement to have not been at least questioned.
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2010, 01:54:36 PM »
Well, Multiclassing done by a blind man does get weaker. :P
Multiclassing with a goal in mind on the other hand...
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2010, 02:00:16 PM »
Well, Multiclassing done by a blind man does get weaker. :P
Multiclassing with a goal in mind on the other hand...
Well on reading that line the editor, assuming they have never played an RPG before, should have asked "if multi-classing makes people weaker why allow it?" If they have played and RPG before they would have known it to be foolishness and told the person to re-write it.
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

Kajhera

• Hong Kong
« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2010, 06:37:00 PM »
Wait, now. Multiclassing tends to make you stronger if you're melee, yes, and single classing makes you stronger if you're a caster?

... Wouldn't that, indeed, imply single-classed characters are more likely to be able to take on the adventure?  :p

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2010, 06:44:42 PM »
Wait, now. Multiclassing tends to make you stronger if you're melee, yes, and single classing makes you stronger if you're a caster?

... Wouldn't that, indeed, imply single-classed characters are more likely to be able to take on the adventure?  :p
That would again depend on whether or not you had a goal in mind. Take for example a rogue/cleric. That might seem like a weak combination, but if you add in the Sacred Outlaw feat, where the two now stack, and Practiced Spellcaster to get back the CL you're missing, it just became a lot stronger. Same thing if you went with a ranger/scout with Swift Hunter, again you're balancing out. Then there's prestiging. A sorcerer/monk or a barbarian/wizard may look weak, but if you're working your way up to be an enlightened monk or rage mage, again it should balance out.

I'm thinking that the adventure was made back before all of these books and extra feats came out. So thinking about it like that, yeah it'd make you weaker. Like, I've seen a ranger 3/rogue 2/fighter 2 with a -1 to Wisdom. You're dead meat when it comes to making will saves.