Author Topic: A Tale of Terror  (Read 25832 times)

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
Re: A Tale of Terror
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2010, 12:33:35 AM »
Rolls
[spoiler]
(in order: Sense Motive, Listen, Heal)
Totals: Sense Motive 16, Listen 8, Heal 9
[/spoiler]

The Smith steps forward, his heavy footsteps thumping resoundingly against the floorboards. He taps the half-orc on the shoulder. "I would suggest you let an armed and armoured man guard this portal, or you might find yourself dis-armed rapidly if further violence erupts."

He peers curiously outside through the opened door, shield and a javelin in hand, with feet planted wide. Few creatures are likely to get past the doorway without his permission.

[spoiler]Ready action: If an armed person is running at the doorway with obvious hostile intent, he is going to get a javelin in the face, followed by a sword to the gut when he staggers into range.[/spoiler]

Sohala

• Hong Kong
  • Hammer Smash Good
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2010, 12:53:50 AM »
Outside, there is chaos; people are running like their lives depend on it and some people are fighting other people. Some minor smoke can be seen from the door way, scattered about the town, but there is a rather large column rising from the northwest.

[spoiler]The inn is facing a westward direction. It has a small size space in front of it for horses to be hitched too, but no animals remain. There is a building directly to the north and south of this small space. Past that is one of the more used roads of the city, it runs in a north to south manner. West across the street are two buildings.

There are of course more buildings visible, but they are farther away.[/spoiler]
"You think I'm talking about breaking the rules?"
"No I'm just trying to figure out how far you want them bent."
[spoiler]
Characters
Ixen-Elemental Mage Test Game
Torgthen-The Darkening
Eldak-The Neverending Dungeon
Games
Dungeon Delver's Delight
Adventures in Eberron
Town of Terror
Working Progress
[3.5] Mana Mage

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2010, 02:04:41 AM »
The Smith glances back over his shoulder at the weird human who keeps talking about his imaginary friend. "The town is on fire. I see townsfolk running around in an extremely undisciplined manner. They may need assistance. Are you done with the prone one or do you require assistance turning him into raspberry jam?"

LordBlades

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2010, 02:23:52 AM »
Hearing Havdar's shout and seeing the axe flying, Eldon jumps up from the table, grumbling. I knew it, I bloody knew there's going to be trouble. and rushes to the woman's body.

[spoiler]
Rolls
Sense Motive 20; Heal 23; Listen 28
[/spoiler]

She's dead mate he says turning to Havdar after a quick examination Not very sure why though, as none of these wounds seem deep enough to be lethal. Also, I believe there's something wrong with this fellow as well. Eldon moves to take a closer look at the attacker. and by the sound of it, we've got a bloody war going on outside

With a sharp whistle, Eldon calls Frodo by his side.

[spoiler]
Handle Animal roll: 9
[/spoiler]

but to no effect it seems. Come on lazy bones, leave that bloody mutton chop and get your ass over here! This is serious

[spoiler]
Will retry Handle Animal check as soon as possible. New roll: 20 Also, Eldon has no Knowledge (religion) so what can he realize about the attacker without that?

« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 12:53:53 PM by LordBlades »

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2010, 10:57:26 AM »
Looking morosely at his half-finished ale, Peter sets it down on the bar with a sigh as he addresses the dwarf, "Barkeep, are there any other entrances? Perhaps a back door into the kitchen? Someone should keep an eye on it as well."
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

Sohala

• Hong Kong
  • Hammer Smash Good
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2010, 01:20:09 PM »
"Poor girl." Sighed the dwarf with the confirmation.

Directing his attention towards the human asking questions, "Aye, t'ere is a door back in t'ere."

[spoiler]There is suppose to be a door, I will add it next map update.[/spoiler]

As Harvdar finished his statement, a blinding light can be seen off to the northwest. The light is followed by a tremendous shockwave that shakes the very building.

[spoiler]Fort save DC 10 for Smith, failure resulting in being blinded for 5 rounds.

Ref save DC 15 for everyone, failure resulting in falling prone.

1d20=16, 1d20=7, 1d20=19, 1d20=9, 1d20=17, 1d20=18, 1d20=16, 1d20=19, 1d20=13, 1d20=5 [/spoiler]

During the tremor, the human servering girl and elf merchant are unable to keep their feet and fall to the floor.
[spoiler]
Characters
Torgthen-The Darkening
Games
Dungeon Delver's Delight
Adventures in Eberron
Town of Terror
Working Progress
[3.5] Mana Mage

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2010, 02:59:51 PM »
[Spoiler]1d20=1 You've got to be shitting me >.<[/spoiler]

The tall human reached down to grab his shield in response to the dwarf, which put him in quite possibly the most awkward position to keep standing when the shockwave hit. Picking himself back up off the floor and rubbing his face where it had landed on his metal shield, Peter slipped his arm into its straps and moved to the rear door, not bothering to pull his magnificently hilted sword.
[Spoiler]

They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

[/spoiler]

LordBlades

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2010, 03:52:37 PM »
[spoiler]

Rolls for druid and dog
Druid got a 11 and dog a 6. Does the bonus from Stability or being a quadruped apply to this roll? Just curious as dog can't make it anyway, and I'll just roleplay it safe for the dwarf:)

[/spoiler]

Eldon was still on his knees examining the woman's mysterious assailant when the shockwave hit.  Due to that and his natural dwarven balance, he managed to hold fast, as people were knocked down around him. Frodo wasn't so lucky though. The wave caught him running toward his master, and the force sent him sliding into a nearby chair.

As if a horde of rampaging murderers wasn't enough.... he muttered as he hurried toward his luggage, picked up his shield and donned it.

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Thread Necromancy a Specialty
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2010, 05:49:20 PM »
[spoiler]1d20=9. Damnit![/spoiler]

"I was simply doubloh fuck."

Watcher John is on the floor. He moves to rise and help hold one of the doors, or a window if he isn't needed at one of those places.

"It definitely does sound like a fight out there. We need to establish the area as defensively as possible before we venture out. Anyone who can..."

Intimidate check
[spoiler]Back in yelling mode: 1d20+6=19[/spoiler]

"BLOCK OFF THE WINDOWS; YOU WANT TO SEE TORCHES THROWN IN HERE, OR WORSE?"

Turning to the warforged, he says

"What is your name?"
[spoiler]He has Vanguard Strike back, btw.[/spoiler].
[spoiler]Fighter: "I can kill a guy in one turn."
Cleric: "I can kill a guy in half a turn."
Wizard: "I can kill a guy before my turn."
Bard: "I can get three idiots to kill guys for me."

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.
probably over on "Off-topic".
might want to put a little disclaimer in the first post.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing

LordBlades

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2010, 06:07:23 PM »
As much as I hate putting myself in a mouse trap and closing the door behind me, I've got a feeling it's better to be in here than outside. Eldon tries to grab a table, turn it over and roll it to the nearest window.

[spoiler]

Strength check: 14

[/spoiler]

Name's Eldon by the way

Sohala

• Hong Kong
  • Hammer Smash Good
    • Email
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2010, 12:44:45 AM »
As Peter enters the kitchen, he finds the half-elf girl cowering between the water barrel and a table, while the cook is still picking himself off the floor, "By the abyss, what is happening out there?" Demanded the dwarf.

Outside, most of the people are climbing back to their feet. What is more, a mass of people in similar clothing as the figure already in the building, are coming from where the explosion just came from. The column of smoke has expanded since the explosion, and you can even see some buildings on fire in that direction.

The other patrons in the bar try and hurry to do as the apparent leader figure says, but they are rather ineffective and disorganized in the task, even fighting among themselves a bit.

Meanwhile Harvdar pulls his axe from the fallen figure, but then stops, "W'at is t'is?" He kneels down to get a closer look.

[spoiler]Sure, earthshaking can fall into stability/etc. You move the table with ease too.[/spoiler]
[spoiler]
Characters
Torgthen-The Darkening
Games
Dungeon Delver's Delight
Adventures in Eberron
Town of Terror
Working Progress
[3.5] Mana Mage

LordBlades

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2010, 06:05:18 AM »
[spoiler]

How big is that mass of people approximately? Also how far are they and do they seem to be moving our way?

[/spoiler]

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2010, 10:03:25 AM »
Rolls
[spoiler]
Fort and Reflex respectively
So, Fort 24, Ref 10
[/spoiler]

The Smith falls over from the sudden shockwave. There is no other word for it. His impact with the ground is easily felt throughout the tavern. Grimly, silently, he climbs to his feet. "I am called the Smith," he replies. "And yours?"

Even as he speaks, he keeps his vigil at the doorway. "We have incoming. More like the prone one." Pause. "The initial prone one."

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2010, 10:30:36 AM »
"Seems like a full scale riot. Something big blew up. Help me barricade the door." Peter eschewed his more normal elegant speech patterns for expediency as he started finding things to stack in front of the door to block it closed, wrestling a barrel full of water to the doorway to help hold it closed.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 04:10:49 PM by McPoyo »
[Spoiler]

[/spoiler]

LordBlades

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2010, 12:13:44 PM »
Just great. Exactly what we needed. Eldon finishes barricading the window and turns to the Smith. How many more?
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 12:18:05 PM by LordBlades »

Sohala

• Hong Kong
  • Hammer Smash Good
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2010, 01:03:04 PM »
[spoiler]
How big is that mass of people approximately? Also how far are they and do they seem to be moving our way?
~50, to start, they are mainly in the black clothing. More people are coming from that direction though, with each passing second, but not in the same cloths. They are roughly a block away. They don't seem to be moving directly for you, just in your general direction.

Since I know nothing of what's happening in the main room, I'm going to continue my original plan. Are there any large things I can move into the doorway to block it closed?  A pantry cupboard, maybe an island counter?  If not, whatever the heaviest and largest things I can get ahold of will work.
Two 15ft butcher block tables, bound with iron bands, a 5ft by 5ft closed crate (empty), a stove, which is secured to the floor with minor indentions and chimney piping, and a full water barrel. You get one item moved before the actions below, just go ahead and edit your post.

1d20+2=16 1d4+1=3
1d20+7=12, 1d12+6=7

1d20=11, 1d20=2, 1d20=19, 1d20=7, 1d20=1, 1d20=1, 1d20=15

Mob 18
John 15
Smith 11
Woman 10
Harvdar 3
Eldon 2
Peter 1
[/spoiler]

As everyone is doing their thing, Harvdar starts to declare something, He is cut short as the woman on the floor lunges at him and biting him on his arm as he tries to block the attack.
[spoiler]
Characters
Torgthen-The Darkening
Games
Dungeon Delver's Delight
Adventures in Eberron
Town of Terror
Working Progress
[3.5] Mana Mage

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2010, 07:19:44 PM »
[spoiler]
I will be away most of the day today, so I'll post this here now

When it is the Smith's turn, he will toss the javelin at the woman and move towards her (to L8), drawing his longsword on the way.
Attack Roll
Total attack roll: 19+2-4 (into melee) -4 (she is prone) = 13
Damage (if any): 5

As he moves, he says, "50 or more. Too many to fight. Barricade the door. I will deal with this creature."

Next round, unless something else happens, he will attack her with the longsword:
Attack Roll
Total attack roll: 8+3+4 (she is prone) = 15
Damage (if any): 5 (you got to be kidding me, a 2???)
[/spoiler]

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Thread Necromancy a Specialty
« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2010, 08:33:07 PM »
"Hells, these things again?"

John charges towards the woman, shouting,

"I'm sorry Mr. Barkeep, but you need to cut off that arm. Otherwise, I, or some other, will have to kill you."

[spoiler]I'm using Vanguard Stirke on the woman.
Attack 1d20+3=12, Damage 1d8+3=8
Oh, and John doesn't actually now if bad things are going to happen if Harvdar doesn't chop off that arm. He just feels that it might help. Because obviously that woman thought his arm was tasty...[/spoiler]
[spoiler]Fighter: "I can kill a guy in one turn."
Cleric: "I can kill a guy in half a turn."
Wizard: "I can kill a guy before my turn."
Bard: "I can get three idiots to kill guys for me."

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.
probably over on "Off-topic".
might want to put a little disclaimer in the first post.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing

Sohala

• Hong Kong
  • Hammer Smash Good
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2010, 06:06:16 PM »
[spoiler]Sorry for the delay, computer problems here and elsewhere that I had to take care of.[/spoiler]

The sword slices deep across the woman's chest, to which she gives a hiss in return.

Smith tosses his javelin at the woman, which sinks squarely into chest, and move towards her (to L8), drawing his longsword on the way.

[spoiler]Attack Roll
Total attack roll: 19+2-4 (into melee) -4 (she is prone) = 13
Damage (if any): 5[/spoiler]

As he moves, he says, "50 or more. Too many to fight. Barricade the door. I will deal with this creature."

Even after all that punishment, the woman is still moving, and tries to bite Smith, slamming right into his armor body.

"Cut my arm off?! W'at on t'e material would mean that?" Asked the dwarf as he swung his axe again...

[spoiler]1d20+7=27, 1d12+6=12[/spoiler]
...And sliced right through the woman. Leaving her motionless and in two large pieces.

[spoiler]Initiative keeps going as the mob is still coming, so, Eldon is up.[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 12:32:03 PM by Sohala »
[spoiler]
Characters
Torgthen-The Darkening
Games
Dungeon Delver's Delight
Adventures in Eberron
Town of Terror
Working Progress
[3.5] Mana Mage

LordBlades

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: December 17, 2010, 06:27:36 PM »
50? that's a enough for a small damn army! he looks at John and Smith with uncertainty You mates seem quite versed in the art of warfare. What do you suggest we do, try and make a stand here and risk dying like rats if they manage to break through, or make a run for it through the back door?

He then turns to the bleeding Havdar Are you all right mate? Want me to take a look at your arm?

[spoiler]

If asked, Eldon will go to Havdar and make a heal check to asses the state of his arm (22) Roll

Then he'll keep delaying until we decide what to do.

In case I'm not available to post at that point (will be away for a fair bit tomorrow) and nothing unexpected comes up:

If we decide to stay, Eldon will help barricading the door and/or windows.
If we decide to run he'll cast entangle on the mass of enemies unless advised otherwise then retreat.

[/spoiler]