Author Topic: Epic gestalt Warlock ||Binder help  (Read 2996 times)

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
Epic gestalt Warlock ||Binder help
« on: December 05, 2010, 11:41:41 PM »
So, as the title says, I'm applying for a gestalt game starting at level 20 and decided I want to try using the epic Warlock feats.   Everything but MoI and Incantrix are allowed, but racial HD and LA take up both sides of the gestalt.  We do get to ignore up to 3 LA, however.

I decided on something more for flavor than anything else.  Centaur 6/Binder 14|| Warlock 20 with the Dark and Shadow templates applied in that order (gets an extra 5' of movement, so why not?.  Yes, I know I just said that racial HD and LA take up both sides of the gestalt, but monster classes are fine to gestalt.   In any case, the idea is that she was entralled by the night and the nocturnal creatures in the woods, but eventually contact with some rather tricksy fey and a curiosity of what lay beyond led her to develop strange powers.  Having been rejected from her tribe, she wants to learn about the animals and such of other planes and beyond, hence her attraction to pact magic and, through that, Zercyll who is the best conduit to the Far Realms and beyond.  In other words, I'm trying to make her creepy as hell.

Now, I would go Knight of the Sacred Seal (Zercyll) except that requires non-chaotic and I don't want to be evil to satisfy Warlock requirements.  I still end up with +19 BAB, +13 Fort, +9 Ref, +14 Will as bases.  Most of my invocations are unfortunately locked up for epic feats (Shadowmaster, Lord of all Essences, and Eldritch Sculptor) including having taken Extra Invocation at every opportunity.  the invocations that aren't being used as prerequisites are See the Unseen, Entropic Warding, Relentless Dispelling, Crawling Eye, Disembodied Hand, and Chilling Tentacles.  Shadow creature template choices were Mirror Image 1/day, +2 Luck bonus to saves, Fast Healing 2, Evasion, and DR5/magic (Cause Fear isn't very helpful at this point, but the 1/day Plane Shift could possibly be)

Binder bonus feats are Improved Binding and Ignore Special Requirements.

In case it matters, my stats were 14, 16, 16, 16, 15, 17 before racial adjustments.  My UMD will be plenty high, so I plan on making use of the Horseshoes of Flame (since I can wear them )  This gives me a base land speed and Fly speed of 90ft (although if the DM rules my templates apply their bonuses to technically temporary speeds, then I'll have a Fly of 150ft).

Any suggestions for the level 1 and 3 feats?  There are no flaws available.  Also, any item suggestions?

Alternatively, if someone has a suggestion other than Binder to get the creepy feel I want, we are allowed those dual-progression PrC's and allowed to take two PrC's at the same level (although I won't be doing this).

And yes, I did not choose the race for optomizing purposes but because I felt like playing one.  I figured it would be even creepier when a creature so close to nature summoned an alien.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 01:36:43 PM by snakeman830 »
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
Re: Epic gestalt Warlock ||???
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2010, 12:21:36 AM »
Warlock/Hellfire Warlock | Binder/Chameleon

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2010, 12:56:59 AM »
Warlock Epic feats are awesome! Have you looked at Binder epic feats? They're really cool too. I wish more people knew about them. I would suggest epic Binder but I know both of these classes are extremely feat intensive to get epic abilities. If you can swing it then that's definitely what I'd do.

But here's the million dollar question, what kind of Warlock are you? Spamming invocations? Spamming ranged eldrich blast? Doing it melee?

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2010, 01:30:28 AM »
Epic Binder is awesome, you get bonus feats from the epic binder class so it not such a great investment. A Warlock//Binder has some great things going for it.

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2010, 01:31:34 AM »
The only thing I know I won't be doing is melee (though I'll still carry a dagger, just in case).  Role depends much on the campaign world, but I'll probably be spamming invocations everywhere (Eldritch Blast may be used with the two epic feats that apply to it, they're just that good).
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

By yes, she means no.
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

Vicerious

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • Foolish Mortal
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2010, 01:53:01 AM »
Incarnum is gestalt bacon - it goes great with everything.  MoI includes a handful of invocations, Incarnum Blast (invest essentia for more d6s) and Shroud of Incarnum (you get concealment) being the standouts.
Good soulmelds include:
Always-popular strongheart vest for Hellfire Warlocks
sighting gloves (+damage to ranged attacks)
bluesteel bracers (+2 initiative)
arcane focus (+damage to spells, ask your DM to apply it to eldritch blast)
planar ward (immunity to charms and compulsions)
airstep sandals (bind to get perfect flight - use this or the fell flight invocation)

Just a couple of levels of incarnate and the Bonus Essentia feat will get you plenty to work with.  Add more levels to taste.
"A witty saying proves nothing." --Voltaire

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2010, 02:39:28 AM »
I'd suggest chameleon2, since past that you get diminishing returns.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

CantripN

• Hong Kong
  • Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2010, 02:43:05 AM »

How are 2 sets of 6th levels spells within 10 levels, all of which can use any obscure class out there, a "diminishing return"? The Floating Feat is nice, but seriously, it's a freaking great class to have.
Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to be always part of unanimity.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2010, 02:45:53 AM »

How are 2 sets of 6th levels spells within 10 levels, all of which can use any obscure class out there, a "diminishing return"? The Floating Feat is nice, but seriously, it's a freaking great class to have.
Because epic binder is awesome.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2010, 03:04:50 AM »
Factotum 8 belongs in nearly every gestalt build.
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286

Widow

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2010, 03:43:45 AM »
There is lots of ways to go as you already see in the above posts.  Depends on how level intensive you want the other side to be.  I always liked the 20 base class// Pile of classes approach for gestalt, especially when you are going epic (and almost starting there).

Chameleon is great as mentioned, and only takes 10 levels allowing your to pick other PrC's.  There are also several tricks listed in the Chameleon's handbook for getting higher level spell slots.  I don't see how you can go wrong with epic chameleon progression as well, +2 caster level per level is pretty nice and I am sure you would have to get some bonus feats.  Hellfire is a why not, along with at least one binder level.  Human Paragon also does not hurt in gestalt.  Throw in a major bloodline if unearthed arcania is allowed for extra chameleon caster level, extra hell fire, and a higher warlock caster level to overcome spell resistence.

Warlock 20//Human Paragon 1/Binder 1/Bloodline 1/Human paragon 1/Bloodline 2/ Human paragon 1/Chameleon 10/Hellfire Warlock 3

Warlock Caster level 23
Hellfire Damage 12D6
Chameleon caster level 26
Bonus feat, +2 ability score, +1 fixed class skill

You are epic ready to push warlock and chameleon for bonus feats.

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2010, 03:44:24 AM »
Factotum 8 belongs in nearly every gestalt build.
Not if you don't have the feats to spend on Font of Inspiration, and Warlocks take nothing but Extra Invocation past 3rd.

The only thing I know I won't be doing is melee (though I'll still carry a dagger, just in case).  Role depends much on the campaign world, but I'll probably be spamming invocations everywhere (Eldritch Blast may be used with the two epic feats that apply to it, they're just that good).
Make it a good martial weapon, because part of those EB feats is the fact that you can use Hideous Blow as an AoO.  I think a Glaive is sufficiently awesome-looking.

Dark Transient is required for every Epic Warlock, as is Shadowmaster.

Lord of All Essences is awesome, but it's actually better outside of Gestalt since Eldritch Disciple gives a couple of ridiculously good essences to use with it.

Beyond that, I like Morpheme Savant.  Something to pierce immunity to mind-affecting is required to get it to work, however.

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2010, 03:47:17 AM »
floating Chameleon feat with epic warlock feats is a strong idea

JohnnyMayHymn

• Bi-Curious George
  • Lord of the Kitchen Sink
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2010, 02:10:23 PM »
Warlock /// Black Ethergaunt

yea MAD but it brings its own INT and boosts CHA, you can hang out on the ethereal plane and blast all day, research epic spells... oh ya 17th level wizard casting

an SU that enslaves people , your already high CHA will allow for more slaves so you're practically a thrallherd ,...
(hmm..   this could even be combined w/ thrallherd1 for hand-picked slaves + thralls + believers)

Cons: the Ban Hammer  :smash

less epic feats compared to warlock20/// X10//PrC10
My (sometimes offensive) Web Comic Faux Blast
Can you find the Wumpus? (Hint: start with the spoiler....)
[spoiler] :beathorse [/spoiler]
...........  :joystick

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2010, 02:17:06 AM »
So, we got the book list.  Everything but MoI and Incantrix are allowed, but racial HD and LA take up both sides of the gestalt.   No Black Ethergaunt for me, that's for sure.  We do get to ignore up to 3 LA, however.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 01:34:29 PM by snakeman830 »

By yes, she means no.
[/spoiler]