Author Topic: Converting an Artifact into a Magic Item  (Read 5768 times)

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Re: Converting an Artifact into a Magic Item
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2010, 06:28:41 PM »
Quote from: SRD
Basically this line says if the price seems to low it probably is, if it seems to high it probably is. Adjust the price to what seems right for the item.
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2010, 06:29:24 PM »
IMO, what seems right for this item is 45k.

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2010, 06:29:49 PM »
The ones you're using. They're explicitly called suggestions for estimating prices.

And I agree with others. 45k seems fair enough.

CantripN

• Hong Kong
  • Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2010, 06:30:57 PM »
Sounds about right. I might lower it a bit, even, because of the Ranger bit. I'd let a player have it for 40K.
Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to be always part of unanimity.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2010, 06:38:44 PM »
Right now I've got it down to 59k, using the MIC rules. If there's a way to make magic items with the Extend Spell legitimately, then I'd adjust it accordingly. And since it's only two dire elk, as opposed to anything else, I'd probably increase the  percent reduction to maybe 50%. As for the unnamed bonus, I guess you could do that 1.5x instead of 2x. That'd lower it a bit. All-in-all, I'd probably let it go for just short of 50k.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

CantripN

• Hong Kong
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2010, 06:42:21 PM »
Right now I've got it down to 59k, using the MIC rules. If there's a way to make magic items with the Extend Spell legitimately, then I'd adjust it accordingly. And since it's only two dire elk, as opposed to anything else, I'd probably increase the  percent reduction to maybe 50%. As for the unnamed bonus, I guess you could do that 1.5x instead of 2x. That'd lower it a bit. All-in-all, I'd probably let it go for just short of 50k.

Look, we're sure the +4 Buffs cost 32K, exactly. Which makes sense. But charging oh so much for 2 freaking Dire Elks and a bonus to a semi-useless Skill? Just make the Bonus Enhancement, and get the Elks a lot cheaper.
Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to be always part of unanimity.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2010, 06:46:53 PM »

Look, we're sure the +4 Buffs cost 32K, exactly. Which makes sense. But charging oh so much for 2 freaking Dire Elks and a bonus to a semi-useless Skill? Just make the Bonus Enhancement, and get the Elks a lot cheaper.
Look. I have to go by what the SRD says. Even the MIC rules aren't "seen" in my group. Okay? The fact that it says that you can have two stat enhancements like gauntlets of ogre power and periapt of wisdom for base costs are completely ignored by the DM. It says in the SRD that it's 1.5x and that's what he's been using since the DMG came out, and he's not about to let that change. I can only negotiate so much.

CantripN

• Hong Kong
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2010, 06:49:39 PM »
Sorry. I figured it was you setting the price. If not, go with what you can. Although I'm not sure why'd you want to spend money on this.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2010, 06:52:02 PM »
Sorry. I figured it was you setting the price. If not, go with what you can. Although I'm not sure why'd you want to spend money on this.
I'm not. It's an artifact that a friend's got in another game already, and since it doesn't actually have a price, and his DM follows the WBL table to the letter, I need to legitimately figure out what the cost of this thing is worth so he won't get penalized later with "Well, you have an artifact." And it has to be a realistic amount, with the formulas and everything.

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2010, 06:58:11 PM »
While it may not do any good. If the DM does use the "but you have an artifact" excuse, remind him that it being an artifact only means that no one knows how to make it anymore. There are artifacts that are pretty fucking weak, like the philosopher's stone it is worth 50k just because you can turn it into that much cash or res someone for about the same cost.
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2010, 07:00:03 PM »
While it may not do any good. If the DM does use the "but you have an artifact" excuse, remind him that it being an artifact only means that no one knows how to make it anymore. There are artifacts that are pretty fucking weak, like the philosopher's stone it is worth 50k just because you can turn it into that much cash or res someone for about the same cost.
Or even basic magic items. That glove of storing? Holy crap is that thing expensive. 10k? It's retarded. The 3.0 version was only 2110. When I DM, that's all mine are worth. Unless there's a specific reason I can't house rule the old glove into the game.

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2010, 09:09:46 PM »
If the DM starts throwing around the "Well you have an artifact" excuse, remind him that it's the DM's fault for giving it to the player (since there is no RAW method to obtain artifacts otherwise), and then promptly discard the PoS.

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2010, 09:13:41 PM »
To go on a tangent, why does he need this item? It's shitty. If you want cool Elk horns just get any item, mundane/magic/artifact and say it looks like cool Elk horns.

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2010, 09:19:06 PM »
To go on a tangent, why does he need this item? It's shitty. If you want cool Elk horns just get any item, mundane/magic/artifact and say it looks like cool Elk horns.
Find an elk, kill it, cut it's head off, and remove the brain and lower portions of the skull (the crown will be necessary to hold up the horns).

Walla, elk horns.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2010, 09:22:34 PM »
It was given to him by Ehlonna for taking down the fire elementals, and promising to challenge the cleric or wizard that summoned it to destroy her forest. They don't know who the culprit is, only that his god hates Ehlonna. The item was a gift to help empower him while fighting for her cause. I think that's right. It's paraphrased, anyways.

@ bearsarebrown -- I think Ehlonna might then send an Effigy construct. Or perhaps something worse.

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2010, 09:32:11 PM »
Why did Ehlonna give him this item though? Why not any other item that looks like Elk horns?

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2010, 09:33:47 PM »
Why did Ehlonna give him this item though? Why not any other item that looks like Elk horns?
Because it's what the DM found in a Dr Mag on that exact day? I honestly couldn't tell you. Personally I would have gone for a relic from MIC or CDiv, but maybe that's just me.

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2010, 05:07:17 PM »

xx ... They're explicitly called suggestions for estimating prices.

And I agree with others. 45k seems fair enough.

Candle of Invocation is too expensive, right ?
 ;)

« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 05:09:58 PM by awaken DM golem »