Author Topic: Trying to learn the Epic Spellcasting system... help??  (Read 5134 times)

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
Re: Trying to learn the Epic Spellcasting system... help??
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2010, 02:42:14 AM »
If you had Uncanny Forethought, and 10th level slots, could you cast any Epic spells you know, up to Int mod times per day?-
No.  Epic spells are not 10th level spells.  If you have 20 ranks in Knowledge (arcana), you could never cast more than 2 epic spells per day, no matter how many 10th level slots you have.

Epic spells are only treated as 10th level for save DC's.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Thread Necromancy a Specialty
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2010, 03:02:17 AM »
To quote:

Epic Spell Levels: Epic spells have no fixed level. However, for purposes of Concentration checks, spell resistance, and other possible situations where spell level is important, epic spells are all treated as if they were 10th-level spells.

Emphasis mine.

As far as I'm concerned that would allow it.
[spoiler]Fighter: "I can kill a guy in one turn."
Cleric: "I can kill a guy in half a turn."
Wizard: "I can kill a guy before my turn."
Bard: "I can get three idiots to kill guys for me."

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.
probably over on "Off-topic".
might want to put a little disclaimer in the first post.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing

Echoes

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2010, 03:36:00 AM »
To quote:

Epic Spell Levels: Epic spells have no fixed level. However, for purposes of Concentration checks, spell resistance, and other possible situations where spell level is important, epic spells are all treated as if they were 10th-level spells.

Emphasis mine.

As far as I'm concerned that would allow it.

This. Specifically, Uncanny Forethought looks at the level of the spell in question (10th, in this case), and then looks at what level spell slot you're expending. Since 10 = 10, it works.

Like CantripN said, it's definitely not what the designer's intended, but that's never been a relevant assertion in CO discussions.

As to abuse, there's Miser with Magic + persisted unfettered heroism (using the UA action point system) to refresh the slot 1/round all day long.
BrokeAndDrive speaks the Truth (linked for great justice and signature limits)

Quotes I Found Entertaining:

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

As a general rule, murdering people and taking their stuff is pretty much superior to breaking their stuff, murdering them, then not having any stuff to take.

Out of Context Theater
[spoiler]
Oh I'll make a party. I'll make a party so hard... I'll make a party that makes you feel so awkward downstairs.

You'll see the party and only be able to respond, "Oh yeah baby."
[/spoiler]

Gavinfoxx

• King Kong
  • *Forkbark* Wauwau!
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2010, 05:14:38 AM »
Wow... I remember somewhere that there was some rule mentioned in one of the FR books, for maybe Mythals or something, that talked about a rule with regards to the mitigation thing, that limited it somehow, that some folk suggested as a way to limit how 'easy' you can make it?? Or something? I dunno...

Sooo.. anyone know anything about this?
BG's other resident furry!

BeholderSlayer

• Hong Kong
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2010, 01:15:53 PM »
As to abuse, there's Miser with Magic + persisted unfettered heroism (using the UA action point system) to refresh the slot 1/round all day long.
I still don't get it, every time I post this nobody responds. Why do you have to even bother with Miser With Magic or Chaotic Spell Recall? UA states:

Quote from: Unearthed Arcana, p. 123
Spell Recall: Spellcasters who prepare their spells in advance can spend 1 action point to recall any spell just cast. The spell can be cast again later with no effect on other prepared spells. This use of an action point is a free action and can only be done in the same round that the spell is cast. Spontaneous spellcasters such as sorcerers and bards can spend 1 action point to cast a spell without using one of their daily spell slots. This use of an action point is a free action and can only be done as the spell is being cast.
Hi Welcome
[spoiler]
Allow me to welcome you both with my literal words and with an active display of how much you fit in by being tone deaf, dumb, and uncritical of your babbling myself.[/spoiler]

Echoes

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2010, 06:59:54 PM »
I still don't get it, every time I post this nobody responds. Why do you have to even bother with Miser With Magic or Chaotic Spell Recall? UA states:

Quote from: Unearthed Arcana, p. 123
Spell Recall: Spellcasters who prepare their spells in advance can spend 1 action point to recall any spell just cast. The spell can be cast again later with no effect on other prepared spells. This use of an action point is a free action and can only be done in the same round that the spell is cast. Spontaneous spellcasters such as sorcerers and bards can spend 1 action point to cast a spell without using one of their daily spell slots. This use of an action point is a free action and can only be done as the spell is being cast.

Because I've never seen you post that and I don't have an encyclopedic knowledge of 3.5, so I didn't know about it? Lighten the fuck up. It's a good find, but not knowing about it isn't somehow a slight against you.

As to your question Gavin, Lost Empires of Faerun has the rules for raising mythals (it's just a new epic seed with some additional rules), but nothing that changes or limits mitigating factors. Spells created with the mythal seed add 1/1000th the Gp cost of the spell to the Spellcraft DC, but that's specific to mythals, not a change to the epic spell rules in general.

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

As a general rule, murdering people and taking their stuff is pretty much superior to breaking their stuff, murdering them, then not having any stuff to take.

Out of Context Theater
[spoiler]
Oh I'll make a party. I'll make a party so hard... I'll make a party that makes you feel so awkward downstairs.

[/spoiler]

Gavinfoxx

• King Kong
  • *Forkbark* Wauwau!
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2010, 07:07:38 PM »
As to your question Gavin, Lost Empires of Faerun has the rules for raising mythals (it's just a new epic seed with some additional rules), but nothing that changes or limits mitigating factors. Spells created with the mythal seed add 1/1000th the Gp cost of the spell to the Spellcraft DC, but that's specific to mythals, not a change to the epic spell rules in general.

Is that before or after mitigation?

I'm trying to figure out some implied house rules for the spellcraft mitigation and the costs and stuff...
BG's other resident furry!

Echoes

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2010, 11:22:17 PM »

Is that before or after mitigation?

I'm trying to figure out some implied house rules for the spellcraft mitigation and the costs and stuff...

Before mitigation. Add up all the increasing factors, figure out the cost, divide it by 1000 and add that to the DC. Then apply mitigating factors.

Out of Context Theater
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Sippin

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2010, 02:12:18 PM »
Easy fix would be to limit mitigating factors to some percentage of pre-mitigation DC. 20% reduction perhaps? Or just limit the number of participants (10?). Or maybe get rid of the permanent factor since it is usually the culprit (for all buffing type spells at least).