Author Topic: Town of Terror  (Read 9789 times)

Sohala

• Hong Kong
  • Hammer Smash Good
    • Email
Re: Town of Terror
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2010, 05:45:03 PM »
I have a quick question: Would I be able to use the Illumian power sigils that key casting off of Strength in order to get bonus power points if I go Psychic Warrior? Because if not, then I suppose I'll be playing an Elan or a Half-Giant.
It sounds sensible enough. The Krau sigil will also increase your manifester level, if you ever choose to multiclass. Just don't forget that you do not get the stat change over until level two.

Added note, the minimal backgrounds and reason for traveling, which in turn means being in Nundinae, are required.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 05:50:52 PM by Sohala »
"You think I'm talking about breaking the rules?"
"No I'm just trying to figure out how far you want them bent."
[spoiler]
Characters
Ixen-Elemental Mage Test Game
Torgthen-The Darkening
Eldak-The Neverending Dungeon
Games
Dungeon Delver's Delight
Adventures in Eberron
Town of Terror
Working Progress
[3.5] Mana Mage

LordBlades

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2010, 05:56:57 PM »
Do you allow masterwork tools for all skills as per PHB(I'm interested specifically in handle animal)?

bkdubs123

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2010, 05:58:13 PM »
It sounds sensible enough. The Krau sigil will also increase your manifester level, if you ever choose to multiclass. Just don't forget that you do not get the stat change over until level two.

Right, right. Okay. In fact, I might still stick to Elan anyway, just because having floating head-sigils is somewhat contradictory to my goals ("I'm just a regular trickster dude, nothing fancy. What? Oh these? I dunno what those are, man. Just ignore 'em.").

Sohala

• Hong Kong
  • Hammer Smash Good
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2010, 06:02:31 PM »
Do you allow masterwork tools for all skills as per PHB(I'm interested specifically in handle animal)?
They will have to make sense. Also, don't forget you are suppose to be kind to you animal companion, so no whip/lash or such for MW handle animal tool.
[spoiler]
Characters
Torgthen-The Darkening
Games
Dungeon Delver's Delight
Adventures in Eberron
Town of Terror
Working Progress
[3.5] Mana Mage

LordBlades

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2010, 06:06:11 PM »
They will have to make sense. Also, don't forget you are suppose to be kind to you animal companion, so no whip/lash or such for MW handle animal tool.

Had more stuff like carrots or whatever riding dogs eat in mind:)
Also, MW tools for concentration?

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2010, 06:11:33 PM »

Everlasting filet mignon?
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2010, 06:13:24 PM »
So, nature focused summoner, and a psychic warrior so far.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

Sohala

• Hong Kong
  • Hammer Smash Good
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2010, 06:26:09 PM »
You will have to factor in spoilage of the food.

All skills can have MW tools, but each person will have to come up with a realistic and reasonable object for them to be.

If anyone needs more information on the setting, I can give you some. Mainly it is just a generic setting and can be molded as needed though.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 06:31:19 PM by Sohala »
[spoiler]
Characters
Torgthen-The Darkening
Games
Dungeon Delver's Delight
Adventures in Eberron
Town of Terror
Working Progress
[3.5] Mana Mage

bkdubs123

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2010, 01:15:10 AM »
Okay, so here we go: Daske Reishardt. No backstory yet, I'll be working on that right after I post this.

EDIT: Now with more backstory (found below as well, if anyone's interested in reading. it's REALLY long)
[spoiler]Daske was born in the large trade-city Gammenbonne to the Northwest just above the mountain river Telsharn. The foothills of the White Ascalmar mountain range lay just beyond the western walls of the city. Daske was orphaned before he was a year old, but already he was able to speak dozens of words, albeit in a language no one in the city could understand. It wasn't a month before he was speaking the common language at an impressive rate. By then he spoke rarely of his parents, but he remembered little.

He quickly gained renown throughout the city, first for his odd natural aptitude for language, and then as that lost its charm for his impressive strength. Although, as he came into his teen years, evidence of his strange heritage manifested itself and he was branded a freak. A single, glowing runic character appeared hovering by his head and orbited it slowly. Not many were openly prejudiced against him, but it was clear that doors that were once open were now shut to him. He fell into obscurity and a brief period of homelessness and squalid poverty. But, he found with some personal effort and concentration that he could suppress the presence of his sigil. As he perfected this new skill, and after changing the name his adoptive parents gave him, Daske re-entered the Gammenbonne scene.

Daske developed a reputation as an efficient and focused mercenary, hiring his services out as a sellsword and strongman. He made more than a respectable man's wages, and things seemed to be looking on the up and up for Daske when he was recognized by a man he was meant to kill. The man claimed to know who he was, what his sigil meant, and - most bizarre of all - that he was Daske's grandfather. The man  told Daske that he would teach him a special brand of "magic" only if he would spare his life and flee town with him. Daske's decision was swift and life-changing.

The two sped out of town immediately and took quiet routes that Daske's "grandfather" specified. Soon the man made good on his promise however, outlining for Daske the barest basics of a principle he called Mind Magic. As they continued hiding by day and moving at night, Daske learned how to focus his mind, and to steel himself against such mundane adversity as pain and such esoteric danger as something the man called a Mind Blast. The man vowed that Daske would one day make an exemplar "Psychic Warrior" by learning to channel his physical strength into his mental arts and combining his gifts into a powerful brand of psychological warfare.

Daske and his companion left nary a trail; however, they were all the time pursued by Daske's former employers. Daske's "grandfather" had powerful enemies and would stop at nothing to put the both of them into the ground. They evaded their foes for the next few years and Daske had learned much about this Mind Magic, but he still was unable to "manifest" its power when they were caught on a warm, part-sun evening. Daske and his "grandfather" slew many, Daske with his mighty swordarm, and the other man with surprising agility and overwhelming mental power made manifest. In the end, the enemy's numbers were too great. Daske's "grandfather" was killed by a wicked crossbow bolt as they ran, and Daske, well, Daske continued to run.

He's been running for another year after that, but hasn't had any other encounters. He now finds himself in a small, quiet town in the center of many trade routes, attempting to lay low. Recently he's finally manifested real evidence of his "grandfather's" promises of power. Daske is able to glimpse into a myriad of possible immediate futures, something he's taken to calling "shatterpoints," but it only seems to assist him with dangerous, combat situations. Though, in Daske's line of work, that seems to be a pretty daily occurrence.[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 02:12:04 AM by bkdubs123 »

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2010, 02:38:44 AM »

Becareful where you point that carrot or hilarity may ensue...

Sohala

• Hong Kong
  • Hammer Smash Good
    • Email
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2010, 03:02:31 AM »
Very nice background, even got the mountains in the right direction.  :P

Minor hickup bkdubs123, you are over you starting gold, you only get 200 with your chosen classes.

Anyway, not a huge deal, but mountains are to the north, desert west, open plains around and east, forest somewhat south, of Nundinae.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 03:13:23 AM by Sohala »
[spoiler]
Characters
Torgthen-The Darkening
Games
Dungeon Delver's Delight
Adventures in Eberron
Town of Terror
Working Progress
[3.5] Mana Mage

bkdubs123

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2010, 03:27:23 AM »
Very nice background, even got the mountains in the right direction.  :P

Minor hickup bkdubs123, you are over you starting gold, you only get 200 with your chosen classes.

Ah, yep, you're right. I'll fix it fast.

Anyway, not a huge deal, but mountains are to the north, desert west, open plains around and east, forest somewhat south, of Nundinae.

And I'll make sure to fix that. Do I need to rename the city he's from?

Sohala

• Hong Kong
  • Hammer Smash Good
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2010, 03:37:46 AM »

And I'll make sure to fix that. Do I need to rename the city he's from?
You don't have to fix anything, the range could go far enough to be considered northwest.
[spoiler]
Characters
Torgthen-The Darkening
Games
Dungeon Delver's Delight
Adventures in Eberron
Town of Terror
Working Progress
[3.5] Mana Mage

LordBlades

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2010, 05:36:28 AM »
Here is my background:

[spoiler]

Eldon was born in the village of a small deep dwarf clan, in the caverns deep below the northern mountains, as the son of the local healer. He seemed more than happy to follow in his father's footsteps, taking care of the sick adn wounded, and even showing the gift of divine magic. All of this until one day, when his village was practically razed, no warning, just because it happend to be in the path of a clash between drow and ilithids.

He took the lead of the few other survivors and they made their way to the surface. Here their roads parted: some wanted to head back underground and find acceptance in the other dwarf communities, others wanted to go to the human cities in the valleeys below to offer their services as mercenary and craftsmen. As for Eldon, he just wanted to be alone. He had lost everything and anything he has ever known and cared for, so he was reluctant to seek company of others, become attatched to them and risl losing them again. So he travelled through the wilderness, toward the plains. Avoiding settlements, his only companions being the sun and rain, and the beasts of the forest. Slowly, he began to appreciate the beauty of these things, and then appreciation turned to love and reverence, for the nature as a whole.  He understood that death adn destruction are but another part of the cycle of life, and the only little difference a single man can do is offer aid and confort to those caught in their path.

And soon he ceased to be alone. He found the dog at the edge of a clearing, lying there with a broken leg, probably abandoned by his master since it could no logner be of use. He used his understanding of healing herbs and magic to heal it's wound, and named it Frodo, after his litthe brother that had died back in the village.

Tonight, the two stopped in Nundinae for food and shelter.
[/spolier]
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 05:39:23 AM by LordBlades »

Sohala

• Hong Kong
  • Hammer Smash Good
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2010, 02:30:09 PM »
You are almost done:

You need to prep spells
You need to note which pieces of gear are being carried by you, and which by your dog
You also have a little over 100g if you feel like spending it
[spoiler]
Characters
Torgthen-The Darkening
Games
Dungeon Delver's Delight
Adventures in Eberron
Town of Terror
Working Progress
[3.5] Mana Mage

LordBlades

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2010, 05:34:33 PM »
Prepared spells(left column is for druid, right for cleric), noted what's on dog, but I don't get where you get that extra 100 gp. Starting gold for cleric is 200 gp, right? 2x 50 gp (mw tools)+50 gp barding+other misc stuff is almost 200 gp.

Also, another small question regarding Handle animal: to handle his animal companion is a free action for a druid (move action for everything else) and the skill allows retry. How would you rule retrying in this case? (being able to do it until you succeed kind of defeats the purpose of having to roll). 
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 05:53:59 PM by LordBlades »

Sohala

• Hong Kong
  • Hammer Smash Good
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2010, 06:25:44 PM »
Ah! The tools are not noted, that is it.

Be advised that your are packing a meduim load.

Free action once a round, sound okay?
[spoiler]
Characters
Torgthen-The Darkening
Games
Dungeon Delver's Delight
Adventures in Eberron
Town of Terror
Working Progress
[3.5] Mana Mage

LordBlades

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2010, 07:01:50 PM »
Ah! The tools are not noted, that is it.

Be advised that your are packing a meduim load.

Free action once a round, sound okay?
Yeah, no problem. As for load, I already have medium armor, so medium load doesn't do much

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Thread Necromancy a Specialty
« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2010, 07:30:20 PM »
I'm thinking I'll try out an Idiot Crusader. Is that going to be OK?

I can start it early!
[spoiler]Fighter: "I can kill a guy in one turn."
Cleric: "I can kill a guy in half a turn."
Wizard: "I can kill a guy before my turn."
Bard: "I can get three idiots to kill guys for me."

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.
probably over on "Off-topic".
might want to put a little disclaimer in the first post.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing

bkdubs123

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2010, 07:55:29 PM »
I still have to work out what additional mundane items I'm carrying and then I believe I'm quite done.