Author Topic: Another fun Gestalt  (Read 3383 times)

voslin428

• Monkey bussiness
Another fun Gestalt
« on: December 02, 2010, 12:35:54 AM »
So I am trying to get a good gestalt character going as I have managed to get a revamp of my current one. Current one was a factotum//DFA. Great for a party of one, bad for a party of 6 where most of the niches are already filled. Well the DM let me change with a dragonborn character through game play and retool it from the ground up. Frankly Id  like some help as gestalt doesn't seem to work well with me. That said, here are my options.
1. We need a cleric and cloistered cleric is out.
2. Right now, its 4th level, but im sure yall can see where it goes.
3. The party hasn't anyone to buff/heal.
4. He will allow me to use DMM, HOWEVER, I can only use it on a spell that I could use the metamagic feat on without it.  Example, I have to be able to use persist spell without DMM before I can use it to power the persist spell.
5. Im human and can't change it to something disgusting like warforged.
6. Psionics is out as well.

So, hopefully yall have some thoughts on how to run it. Ive got a few ideas on how to build it, but im sure yall folks have more ... solid build ideas than I do.  :D
« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 12:40:56 AM by voslin428 »

gorfnad

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
Re: Another fun Gestalt
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2010, 02:50:17 AM »
Some buffer/healers that can work in gestalt

Cleric X/ Crusader X - can tank, buff, and heal with spells and maneuvers. also fairly easy to build

Dragon Shaman 20 // Crusader 5/ Binder 1/ Hellreaver 5/ Crusader 9 - decent buffing, lots of healing, and solid tanking

Bard 6/ Lyric Thaumaturge 2 (or Bard 8, or Bard 6/ Paladin 2)/ Virtuoso 2/ Sublime Chord 2/ Virtuoso 8 // Crusader 20 - can buff incredibly well if built right, great support character in general, can heal through maneuvers and spells, and the feats Song of the White Raven and Clarion Commander are really nice too
« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 04:13:02 AM by gorfnad »

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2010, 02:57:16 AM »
So I am trying to get a good gestalt character going as I have managed to get a revamp of my current one. Current one was a factotum//DFA. Great for a party of one, bad for a party of 6 where most of the niches are already filled. Well the DM let me change with a dragonborn character through game play and retool it from the ground up. Frankly Id  like some help as gestalt doesn't seem to work well with me. That said, here are my options.
1. We need a cleric and cloistered cleric is out.
2. Right now, its 4th level, but im sure yall can see where it goes.
3. The party hasn't anyone to buff/heal.
4. He will allow me to use DMM, HOWEVER, I can only use it on a spell that I could use the metamagic feat on without it.  Example, I have to be able to use persist spell without DMM before I can use it to power the persist spell.
5. Im human and can't change it to something disgusting like warforged.
6. Psionics is out as well.

So, hopefully yall have some thoughts on how to run it. Ive got a few ideas on how to build it, but im sure yall folks have more ... solid build ideas than I do.  :D

Monk 1/Cleric 3/Church Inquisitor 1 (why not; it's free)/Sacred Fist 10/Shiba Protector 1/x 4 // Druid 20

x depends on what you have in terms of stats. If you have high Cha, take Mystic Wanderer 1 for a few points more of AC (since you are not using armour anyway) and the other three levels in anything that catches your fancy (Contemplative is pretty good too). All x levels must be full caster.

Be a huge kung fu elemental of fiery doom. Or just a T-Rex with hiiii-yah! powers.

vilenatas

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2010, 03:15:56 AM »
Maybe:  Bard/pal/crusader//cleric.

JohnnyMayHymn

• Bi-Curious George
  • Lord of the Kitchen Sink
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2010, 09:25:08 AM »
ok it's 4 in the morning here, spoilered for length and ..... madness :joystick
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[spoiler]I second Cleric//Druid but I would take planar shepherd if it's available
(planning domain for extend spell and undeath domain for extra turning)   

or pick two of the elemental domains; (air, fire, water, earth) and initiate of nature(if your DM will let you use non-undead turning attempts cheese)  this will be something like (3+ CHA mod) x 4 + 16 turning attempts w/extra turning, add 16 for each additional extra turning

or

Bard1,Warblade19//Archivist X(whatever turning PrC), take white raven tactics so your warblade(or crusader)levels stack w/bard for inspire courage + dark knowledge + buffs                         

Factotum///Archivist        tons of skill points + dark knowledge + most spells + FOI abuse.. (also DMM abuse if you can get turning)
was going to squeeze spelldancer in this last one, but you'd have to
1. get a 3.0 class approved and
2. light 4 feats on fire and
3. once you did all of that you would end up w/something like
 archivist4,spelldancer1,archivist15///factotum1,fighter2(or monk2 cobra strike fighting style),binder1(bind naberius to heal the con damage while dancing for unlimited metamagic every morning while casting buffs),factotum X         

MAD and after all those feats you don't really have room for much metamagic until level6, BUT that is a LOT of metamagic ..... once you can get the feats

EDIT: Actually might work better with cleric(the domains can free up some feats) , but then you need perform...
Cleric4,spelldancer1,Cleric15///Bard1,fighter2(or cobra strike monk2),Binder1, Bard16         now you buff every1 in the morning with all the metamagic you want then just hang out and play music the rest of the day :) ugh... pick one: (moonwalk, robot, break dance, jerk) the rest of the day  :nonono  [/spoiler]
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
actually it would help if you could tell us what the other party members are playing or just their assigned roles and how many players, it's easy to step on toes in Gestalt

Also, do you just need something decent, or something VERY POWERFUL!?!  :evillaugh
« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 09:35:51 AM by JohnnyMayHymn »
My (sometimes offensive) Web Comic Faux Blast
Can you find the Wumpus? (Hint: start with the spoiler....)
[spoiler] :beathorse [/spoiler]
...........  :joystick

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2010, 02:58:08 PM »
DMM with that cap in place is meh.  Using the turning attempts for devotion feats may be better.

Cleric 3/Church Inquisitor 2/Bone Knight 10/Contemplative 1/X 4 Where X offers full divine casting
//
Bard 1/Marshal 1/Dread Necromancer 1/Bard +2/Cleric +1/Bard +3/Crusader 1/Y 11 Where Y is either more bard or more crusader

Substitute Dweomerkeeper instead of Bone Knight if you want even more ridiculous class features.
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2010, 03:34:15 PM »
Im human and can't change it to something disgusting like warforged.
Disgusting? ???

Well the DM let me change with a dragonborn character through game play and retool it from the ground up.
You mean your character became a dragonborn, and your DM let you rebuild him as part of his rebirth?
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

voslin428

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2010, 05:17:52 PM »
Disgusting? ???

Well the DM let me change with a dragonborn character through game play and retool it from the ground up.
You mean your character became a dragonborn, and your DM let you rebuild him as part of his rebirth?
disgustingly powerfull/broken :)

Correct with the retool guess. Since the party had some newcommers join, my jack of all trades build with the dfa//factotum was kinda redundant.

The party is broken down into a warlock/bard, rogue/???, barbarian/???, monk/paly, ranger/wizard.

JohnnyMayHymn

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2010, 05:58:30 PM »
in that case I think some kind of cleric///druid       (planar shepherd?)         would be a good fit       easy to build, just don't forget natural spell really

you might even have to hold back, focusing on buffs and supporting the party, but the power is there IF you need it

voslin428

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2010, 07:26:25 PM »
Lol. So one of the other guys in the game plays with a "bunny" as his deity. Figured with wild shape and a breath weapon I can pull off an avatar of some sort :)

Cleric//Druid I think it is then.  Natural spell is a given, but what else can be used?

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2010, 07:37:11 PM »
Lol. So one of the other guys in the game plays with a "bunny" as his deity. Figured with wild shape and a breath weapon I can pull off an avatar of some sort :)

Cleric//Druid I think it is then.  Natural spell is a given, but what else can be used?

Lesser Rod of Extend.  Lesser Rod of Chain Spell.

Perhaps Companion Spellbond so your buffed animal companion can step away from your and fight.  There are always devotion feats.  Animal Devotion makes a lot of sense for this type of character.  Travel Devotion is always sexy too.  Holy Warrior for free attack/damage bonuses?
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2010, 02:28:32 AM »
Disgusting? ???

disgustingly powerfull/broken :)

Wait... Warforged disgustingly powerful or broken? Say whut?

voslin428

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2010, 01:29:53 PM »
as i understand it, one could make a warforged that can stack really well. not pun pun well, but still rediculous. this is what i have been told by the way, not that i know for sure.

Shadowhunter

• Hong Kong
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2010, 01:53:56 PM »
as i understand it, one could make a warforged that can stack really well. not pun pun well, but still rediculous. this is what i have been told by the way, not that i know for sure.

Anyone claiming this is either:
A: A genius, to have found something really good without it not being common knowledge on the CO boards.
B: Definitely not a genius, having so low standards that a handful of neat immunities seems as if they are highly abuseable.

I'm leaning towards B, but I'm hoping it's A.

Ugh, *shudder*
Druid//Cleric.
The risk of you accidentally wrecking the campaign just increased by more than 100%.
Talk about solid and powerful build.
I personally have troubles with Druid//Clerics that doesn't have nature-related Domains, such as Animal, Sun or Plant, but that's just me.
Planning I can buy, since there are some patient hunters in the animal kingdom, but Undeath... not so much.
Still, DMM that can be applied to both sides +
Wild Shape + 2x Full Casting + Majority Good Saves + Reasonable HD + Free Tank = PAIN in capital letters.

+++EDIT+++
And it can be a good idea to read the OP's relevant rules... :embarrassed
[Spoiler]
Quote from: Runestar
the most effective optimization is the one you can actually get away with.  :smirk

Quote from: Vinom
(A group of nerds are called a murder because like crows we are anti-social, like shiny things, and often squack at each other over nothing for hours)

I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/quote]
[/spoiler]

Binder? You're Welcome

Zceryll makes Binders go from tier 3 to tier 2.
Cagemarrow is a Genius

Before giving the advice that build X would be better of with Fist of the Forest, take a long, good look at Primal Living. Twice.

voslin428

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2010, 05:30:00 PM »
how would you build it? im looking at taking the time and sun domains. natural spell for sure... and thats about all i got. sure i see lots of goodies i could take, devotions and such, but im just not sure whats really a good way to go.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2010, 05:50:11 PM »
I should point out that dragonborn humans lose all their racial traits - no bonus feat, no bonus skill points... However, since your DM has altered the ritual already that shouldn't matter.

And yeah, warforged are a solid race choice (since most classes can make use of their racial abilities) but they're not really overpowered. Weaker than humans at any rate.

Could you "unlock your sleeping powers" and become a member of a human subrace, like azurin or illumnians?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 05:54:11 PM by Prime32 »
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

voslin428

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2010, 10:23:08 PM »
So... Im sure this is a dumb question, but would it matter what subrace it is for the most part anyways?

voslin428

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2010, 11:21:22 PM »
http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Happy_Bunny_(3.5e_Creature)

The form ill be running around in most of the time :)

Add dragon breath to it from being dragon born :)

JohnnyMayHymn

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2010, 02:46:17 AM »
invisible spell is fun for summons, etc..

persistent spell and quicken spell are nice,

initiate of nature would let you rebuke a bunch of bunnies...

voslin428

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2010, 09:10:22 PM »
Think I can get a good use out of Divine Magician with this build? Maybe even do spontaneous domain ACF?