Author Topic: Brainstorming thread for a Psionic Tricks Handbook  (Read 55001 times)

Shiki

• King Kong
  • Mindraped
Re: Brainstorming thread for a Psionic Tricks Handbook
« Reply #220 on: August 19, 2011, 04:34:34 PM »
Dungeon Magazine 116 on page 44, there's a feat called Practiced Magic. Stupid name. Now, remember Psionics are (Sp), right? Practiced Magic increases your CL by 4 for a "set" of spell-likes, and Psionics is definitly a set of spell-likes, hm?

Practiced Manifester + Practiced Magic on an Ardent looks freaking stupid.

Not a trick per se, but I think it's worth mentioning.

edit: deletion; stupid over-emphasis.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 04:16:57 PM by Shiki »
"An ally of truth."

Soundtrack of the week:
Kagamine Rin - Antichlorobenzene (ft. Kagamine Ren)

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #221 on: August 20, 2011, 04:24:23 PM »
Technically, psionics are (Ps), but (Ps) abilities count as (Sp) abilities for various effects.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

Shiki

• King Kong
  • Mindraped
« Reply #222 on: August 20, 2011, 04:42:02 PM »
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#psionics? And assuming tranparency (ML=CL) etc.
"An ally of truth."

Soundtrack of the week:

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #223 on: August 20, 2011, 05:27:55 PM »
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#psionics? And assuming tranparency (ML=CL) etc.
Except that those rules are overridden by the XPH if it's in play, since that is the sourcebook for psionics.

If the XPH is not, then those hold true. But then, that trick of yours only works on the MM aboleths, illithids, and coatls (which technically aren't psionic; they're arcane with ::psionic:: strapped on).
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
[/spoiler]

Shiki

• King Kong
  • Mindraped
« Reply #224 on: August 20, 2011, 06:32:25 PM »
^Well, I've just reread bits on the SRD and I don't remember where it says where that part is overwritten though I think I read it somewhen, but regardless of that, applying this feat to psionics is as iffy as the trick in the OP about making psionics (Su), so...
"An ally of truth."

Soundtrack of the week:

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #225 on: August 22, 2011, 08:42:50 PM »
Magic Mantle then ...

nijineko

• King Kong
  • two strange quarks short of a graviton...
« Reply #226 on: August 26, 2011, 02:37:49 AM »
Dungeon Magazine 116 on page 44, there's a feat called Practiced Magic. Stupid name. Now, remember Psionics are (Sp), right? Practiced Magic increases your CL by 4 for a "set" of spell-likes, and Psionics is definitly a set of spell-likes, hm?

Practiced Manifester + Practiced Magic on an Ardent looks freaking stupid.

Not a trick per se, but I think it's worth mentioning.

edit: deletion; stupid over-emphasis.

are those not limited by hd anyway?
arukibito ga michi wo erabu no ka, michi ga arukibito wo erabu no deshou ka?
Never game alone again!
KadoKado! Game for gifts!
The Ultimate Dice Rolling Engine

lianightdemon

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #227 on: August 26, 2011, 07:52:44 AM »
yeah but now someone can play an ardent with only 2 levels and +10 manifesting class prcs or multiples. Allows for cleric/ardent psychic theurge builds with 9th level spells and powers in both classes. Casting as a level 18 cleric and manifesting as level 20 ardent.

Rejakor

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #228 on: August 27, 2011, 01:54:43 AM »
Soul Crystal power from MoI + Quintessence.  Dorjes anyone can use, for free!  (just scrape off quintessence)

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #229 on: September 14, 2011, 07:50:32 PM »
Any epic manifester worth his psi-salt will switch to another manifesting class once he hits ML 21 (for epic manifesting feats), so he can continue to accrue power points, then pump that class up in other ways as well. The educated wilder variant is ideal post-epic, since its primary class ability (wild surging) boosts all powers he knows from all classes, it gains the maximum power point progression possible, and the variant doesn't require you to take Expanded Knowledge as a wilder (meaning you can use it to get any power for any class you have).

[edit] Make sure you grab lower-level powers that are useful without a high ML, such as Entangling Ectoplasm and Call to Mind.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 08:07:23 PM by Lycanthromancer »

[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
[/spoiler]

nijineko

• King Kong
« Reply #230 on: September 17, 2011, 03:17:17 PM »
Any epic manifester worth his psi-salt will switch to another manifesting class once he hits ML 21 (for epic manifesting feats), so he can continue to accrue power points, then pump that class up in other ways as well. The educated wilder variant is ideal post-epic, since its primary class ability (wild surging) boosts all powers he knows from all classes, it gains the maximum power point progression possible, and the variant doesn't require you to take Expanded Knowledge as a wilder (meaning you can use it to get any power for any class you have).

um, i'm pretty sure that the wild surging only applies to powers learned via the class itself plus the class feature expanded knowledge.... can you show me otherwise?
Never game alone again!

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #231 on: September 17, 2011, 04:50:01 PM »
um, i'm pretty sure that the wild surging only applies to powers learned via the class itself plus the class feature expanded knowledge.... can you show me otherwise?

[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
[/spoiler]

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #232 on: September 17, 2011, 06:15:16 PM »
As for Educated Wilder:

[spoiler]Educated Wilder

You have had formal psionic training.
Level: 5th, 9th, 13th, and 17th.
Replaces: You lose the volatile mind class ability at all levels listed above.

Benefit: You have received some formal psionic training and as such, you have unlocked psionic powers most wilders never dream of. You gain the Expanded Knowledge feat at all of the above levels. But due to the training involved, your mind is not as untamed as most wilders and you lose the defensive ability volatile mind.[/spoiler]

I don't see anything restricting you there, either.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 06:57:59 PM by Lycanthromancer »

[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
[/spoiler]

nijineko

• King Kong
« Reply #233 on: September 18, 2011, 06:58:10 PM »
indeed. now i'm gonna have to look into some other sources... i'll get back to you. ^^

*time passes*

well. after much searching and even consulting, i too am unable to find any limitation on the surge, or even general statement of can only apply class abilities to your own class's power list... other than it has to be a power that you know. i thought for sure that there was some generic statement that you could only surge wilder powers, but it seems not so.

given the ability of all psionic characters to use power stones (which count as manifesting it yourself) and manifesting from another character's list (which still has to be on your list or it fails, but also counts as manifesting it yourself) this would mean that a multi-class psionic character of the right mix would be able to manifest all powers in the game, save only those on restricted discipline-only, or mantle-only, or lurk-only lists.

mechanically speaking, it would likely require making use of either an oddly classed character, or a character with cohorts+. perhaps less combat effective without some mild to major action-economy, and possibly some power point charging tricks.

as i recall, the limit on power points is per power, not per round, so with action and power point economy abuse, this combined with power stones and/or manifesting from other creatures' powers known would be quite an impressive scene.

so, i stand corrected. awesome job as usual, lycanthromancer. thanks for the great find. easily done pre-epic as well, if one is willing to dump feats for practiced manifester to boost ML lost to multi-classing. even the loss of higher level powers can be overcome by manifesting off of another's powers known and making the psicraft check. the only restriction is that it be on your powers known list as well.

thus the simplest method i can see would be a multi-class lurk, psywar, wilder. i suppose one should put in erudite, so as to get all of the discipline powers as well. this should cover all powers out there, missing only unique powers on non-selected mantles. psy-ref would not allow a change to mantles, as it is an alternate class feature, which classes and class features are not affected by psy-ref-ing. educated wilder could likely pick up the most useful of the missing ones. so for a build stub:
lurk 1
erudite 1
ardent 1
psy-war 1
wilder X, educated acf.

requires power stones, and/or another creature with the desired power known via leadership, thrallherd, or hireling.

i guess we should have this added as an "access all powers in the game" trick to the thread here. =D
Never game alone again!