Author Topic: Help needed for my DFA  (Read 1544 times)

Shiki

• King Kong
  • Mindraped
Help needed for my DFA
« on: November 30, 2010, 03:25:40 PM »
Campaign hopping alot lately makes me sad.:rant

Sooo, I'm in need of advices concerning my next character, which will be a Dragonfire Adept. I went through the DFA handbook over at Wizard's board and I really liked the Dragon Sage idea in the builds' post; playing a kobold also appealed to me. So that's pretty much the basic idea. Play will start at level 6th, normal WBL; books which are open to me are Core, PH2, SpC, MIC, Dr, RoD, Du, UA(2 flaws, 2 traits) and Completes. Not sure 100% what the rest of the party will be... One is a Cleric, dunno which PrC; the other a x/Beast Heart Adept. Not sure if there will be another player. However, I do not care I want to play a "dragon."  :P

Desert Dragonwrought Kobold, Dragonfire Adept 20. Stats rolled: 12, 16, 13, 16, 16, 12, -4 str, +2 dex, +3 int, +1 wis and +3 cha racial+aging mod.

1   Feats: Dragon-WroughtRoD, Ability Focus (breath weapon)MM, Entangling ExhalationRoD, DragontouchedDM (DFA boni), Invocation: Draconic Knowledge
2   Breath Effect: ?
3   Feat: Draconic KnowledgeDr, Invocation: Magic Insight
4   -          
5   Breath Effect: ?
6   Feat: Extra Invocation (endure exposure)CAr, Invocation: Draconic Flight
7   -
8   Invocation: Voidsense/Voracious Dispelling
9   Feat: Draconic Aura (insight)DM
10   Breath Effect: ?
11   Invocation: Chilling Fog
12   Feat: Draconic Aura (senses)DM, Breath Effect:
13   Invocation: Baleful Geas/Draconic Toughness
14   -
15   Feat: Double Draconic AuraDM, Breath Effect: Bahamut/Tiamat Breath
16   Invocation: Greater Draconic Flight (replace Draconic Flight for something else)
17   -
18   Feat: ?, Invocation: Energy Immunity
19   -
20   Breath Effect: ?

Items I'll certainly get for a start are Dragon Spirit Cincture and Lesser Energy crystals; not sure for the rest. I'll, like, DESPERATLY try to get myself a Crown of the North Wind (from Dragons of Faerun) later on because it's that much awesome.

Okay, so I'm not sure how to get the most out of this. What's set in stone, really, is Entangling Exhalation, Draconic Knowledge(feat&invocation) and Endure Exposure from normal learning or Extra Invocation. Feat-wise, Draconic Auras are really cool and all but they kinda suck a bit, though the Insight one helps in the long run for "knowing lots of things." Ability Focus and Extra Invocation looks like nice choices. Invocation-wise, Voracious Dispelling looks really nice at lower levels, but kinda suck later on so I'm not sure how to deal with that. Voidsense is pretty cool, and Chilling Fog is a no-brainer. Some sort of Flight is kind of a must but I'm not sure what to get, and Greater Draconic Flight comes really late, and it's not that impressive at that level... Breath Effect-wise, I'm a bit lost since Crown of the North Wind is like freaking awesome and every damn status gas are really nice, so I'm not sure how to pick those. However, Slow Breath looks REALLY nice at until I get my damn crown so I'm not sure what to get at what time. Sadly, I dunno if I'll be able to get Fivefold Breath of Tiamat since we're supposed to be GOOD-aligned, which makes me sad. :banghead

Any ideas?
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 03:31:01 PM by Shiki »
"An ally of truth."

Soundtrack of the week:
Kagamine Rin - Antichlorobenzene (ft. Kagamine Ren)

Echoes

• Bi-Curious George
Re: Help needed for my DFA
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 05:40:01 PM »
While I don't have a lot of practical experience playing a DFA, we had one in a campaign I was in that used slow breath + entangling exhalation to lock down enemies, and it was amazing. 1/4th movement speed (meaning 30 ft. base move was reduced to 10 ft., and small creatures were stuck with 5 ft. move actions) and huge penalties to AC and attack rolls. I heartily recommend that. Also, if you have one energy type that you'll be using for your breath (fire is the default IIRC), picking up the associated Draconic Aura (Energy) can really boost the DC for your breath weapon.
BrokeAndDrive speaks the Truth (linked for great justice and signature limits)

Quotes I Found Entertaining:

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

As a general rule, murdering people and taking their stuff is pretty much superior to breaking their stuff, murdering them, then not having any stuff to take.

Out of Context Theater
[spoiler]
Oh I'll make a party. I'll make a party so hard... I'll make a party that makes you feel so awkward downstairs.

You'll see the party and only be able to respond, "Oh yeah baby."
[/spoiler]