Author Topic: A Different Stance on the Wilder.  (Read 1256 times)

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Thread Necromancy a Specialty
A Different Stance on the Wilder.
« on: November 29, 2010, 09:36:52 PM »
I suck at making tables, so...

I'll explain this the best I can. This is intended to be a blend of the Sorceror and the Wilder, so this shouldn't be used if both are going to be used anyway.

This version of the wilder loses Euphoric Surge and Volatile mind. Good riddance.

This version of the Wilder has both a Caster level and a Manifester level, which are both equal to each-other at all times. ALL times. Charisma is your Caster/Manifesting Stat

You learn 1 power, and 1 spell off of the Wilder Power list and the Wizard/Sorceror list at 1st level, and another every even level thereafter. You have no access to cantrips. You also gain access to 2nd level powers/spells at 4th level, and gain access to a new level of spells/powers every even level thereafter, excepting 20th.

You can cast a number of spells of each level equal to half of what a normal Sorceror can cast at that level per day. So at 20th level, you may cast 3 spells of each level each day.

You may replace a spell/power every time you gain access to another level of spells/powers.

With me so far? Good. Here's where it gets crazy.

You can "cast" powers and "manifest" spells. Basically, when you "manifest" a power, it works off of the same rules as a Spell to Power Erudite uses to manifest powers (Spoilered at the bottom).

When you "cast" powers, you spontaneously cast it out of a spell slot of the same level as the power; so Astral Construct would be "cast" out of a first level slot; treat this as manifesting for the minimum possible amount of points. For the purpose of augmentation, you may "cast" it out of a higher level slot, treating it as if you had spent 2 pp per "spell" level; in other words, if you "cast" Astral Construct out of a 4th level slot, it is the equivalent of manifesting it with 7 pp. You may not apply meta-psionics to powers you "cast", however, you can apply metamagic, the slot adjustment of which not adding any effective power points to the power being "cast".

A little information on how Wild Surge interacts with "casting" a power; act like you added the virtual power point as normal, so that if you used a Wild Surge at level 3, and you "cast" Astral Construct out of one of your 1st level slots, you may act as if it had been cast out of a 2nd level slot.

If you are casting a standard spell while under the effects of a Wild Surge, you are treated as if your caster level is higher by the bonus listed on the Wilder table. In the case of "manifesting" a spell, the virtual power points added by the Wild Surge can surpass the Caster level cap on effects from the spell; for example, if you are level 11 and Wild Surge, and then "manifest" Fireball for 10 pp, you would deal 14d6 damage. Note, though, that this uncapping only applies to the virtual power points from your Wild Surge.

[spoiler]Each spell costs a certain number of power points to manifest. The higher the level of the spell, the more power points it costs. The table below describes each spell's cost.

Note: If this system intrigues you, you can see a spell point variant system starting on page 153 of Unearthed Arcana.
Spell
Level    Power
Point
Cost
1    1
2    3
3    5
4    7
5    9
6    11
7    13
8    15
9    17

The erudite uses her manifester level for determining the effects of the spell being manifested, with one significant exception. Spells that deal a number of dice of damage based on caster level (such as magic missile,searing light, or lightning bolt) deal damage as if cast by a character of the minimum level of the class capable of casting the spell. Spells whose damage is partially based on caster level, but that don't deal a number of dice of damage based on caster level (such as produce flame or an inflict spell) use the erudite's normal manifester level to determine damage. Use the erudite's normal manifester level for all other effects, including range and duration.

For example, a fireball deals a number of dice of damage based on the erudite's manifester level, so when manifested it deals 5d6 points of damage (as if cast by a 5th-level wizard, which is the minimum level of wizard capable of casting fireball).

An erudite can pay additional power points to augment the dice of damage dealt by a spell. Every 1 extra power point spent at the time of manifesting increases the spell's effective caster level by 1 for purposes of dealing damage. The damage-dealing spell's caster level cannot be increased above the erudite's manifester level, or above the normal maximum allowed by the spell.

For example, even at 7th level, our erudite's lightning bolts deal only 5d6 points of damage (just like a 5th-level wizard) unless she spends extra power points. If she spends 1 extra power point (making the lightning bolt cost 6 points rather than 5), the spell deals 6d6 points of damage. A second extra power point would increase the damage to 7d6 points, but she can't spend more points than this, since her manifester level is only 7th. Were she 10th level or higher, she could spend a maximum of 5 extra power points on this spell, raising the damage up to 10d6, the maximum allowed for a lightning bolt spell.

Similarly, her magic missile spell shoots only one missile unless she spends extra power points. An extra 2 power points increases the caster level from 1st to 3rd, granting her one additional missile. She can spend a maximum of 6 additional power points in this manner, increasing her effective caster level to 7th for damage purposes and granting her a total of four missiles. If she were 9th level or higher, she could spend a maximum of 8 extra power points, granting her five missiles (just like a 9th-level caster).

Spells that allow a character to recall or recast a spell cannot be learned.

Because the spells are now effectively psionic powers, they are no longer affected by metamagic feats. However, metapsionic feats can affect them as they would a psionic power.

As with casting a spell, manifesting a spell may require certain components (see page 174 of the Player's Handbook). Some of the components remain unchanged, such as verbal, somatic, and XP cost. Spells with expensive material components (non-negligible) require you to spend an additional 2 power points when manifesting the spell in lieu of the material components. If you happen to have the material components, no additional power point cost is assessed. Spells with a focus are treated the same as those with a material component. If the spell has an expensive material component and a focus, the additional power point cost would be 4.[/spoiler]

So, two things:

1. What do people think?

2. Can someone help me with a table?
[spoiler]Fighter: "I can kill a guy in one turn."
Cleric: "I can kill a guy in half a turn."
Wizard: "I can kill a guy before my turn."
Bard: "I can get three idiots to kill guys for me."

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.
probably over on "Off-topic".
might want to put a little disclaimer in the first post.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing

SiggyDevil

• Hong Kong
  • Magmar, the ultimate butthead
    • Feybook Project
Re: A Different Stance on the Wilder.
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 11:25:32 PM »
1. You could use Psionic/Magic transparency and count manifester levels as caster levels, and vice versa. This doesn't include emulating caster level as if it were the amount of power points spent, you'd have to mention that, but it's better than having both separate.

2. ... I'm just as bad at them as you are.