Author Topic: Nomad  (Read 3810 times)

Sobolev

• Donkey Kong
Nomad
« on: November 28, 2010, 10:09:10 PM »
Inspired by the new Psionics guide, and in particular Personal Space, I have the urge to make a Nomad.  However, most of the Nomad only powers seem mostly useless.  Not sure what sort of thing should be done with a Nomad then.  I mean, I can just take things from the guide (and I'll post something when I get back to my room), but no idea of some coherent idea to reach for.
Sha'ir Handbook
Binder Handbook

Quote from: Negative Zero on November 04, 2009, 02:16:14 AM
In my humble opinion, CO is haberdashery. Some say we're mad, but we can all agree we're hatters. Yes, we have potential to make very sophisticated hats, very fancy hats, be they dark or light. But the truth is that the color of the hat does not come from the group of us - our community doesn't directly produce hats. We simply give average head circumferences, list current fashion trends, and point out some shiny, obscure baubles to add to the latest hat line.

Praef

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
Re: Nomad
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 04:18:39 AM »
Geez, I was just thinking about the nomad.

Seems to me there was a fairly competent build that revolved around the nomad's ability to influence and move the players on the battlefield, and it did it fairly well too. 

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2010, 04:31:33 AM »
The best part of the nomad is its ability to use dimension swap on multiple allies, but you're right; the discipline powers are woefully-lacking in any sort of synergy. If he was a master of party-mobility on the field and off, with extra augmentation options for dimension swap, dimension door, and others, then it would be good to actually make a nomad, rather than simply using the power list to cherry-pick from.

However, the ACF is a really nice one, though I'm not sure it's worth actually taking nomad as a discipline, rather than as a pick-list for powers.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2010, 05:08:37 AM »
http://dsp-d20-srd.wikidot.com/psion-devotion-powers

There's a few cool powers in there.

Expanded Knowledge [Astral Construct] should be used in order to have more, expendable chess pieces to move around the board, and using Synchronicity for reactive Dimension Swaps (replacing living teammates with Astral Constructs when attacked) is given.

I think the best way to leverage the rest of your powers is to style yourself as a sort of Psionic Skillmonkey, take a few levels of some sort of Psionic Unseen Seer for a few key powers from the Seer's list and then use the lot of them for infiltration purposes (looking around corners, through walls, teleporting into places where nothing is around, etc.).

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2010, 05:37:24 AM »
If you pull the astral construct/synchronicity/dimension swap combo, this may be a good time to take Ectopic Form: anathemic carapace. It's the only halfway-decent ectopic form (aside from MAYBE the burrower, though it's doubtful as to how often you'd actually use that one), and it's only worth the feat if you plan on using it a lot. Watching it explode in your opponents' faces will be totally worth it.

...Aaaaand now I've actually endorsed an Ectopic Form.

Someone needs to kill me. Now.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
[/spoiler]

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2010, 06:35:45 AM »
If it's any consolation, it's probably the single most useful Ectopic Form out of the lot.

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2010, 06:37:47 AM »
If it's any consolation, it's probably the single most useful Ectopic Form out of the lot.
It's not much consolation, really, but thanks for trying anyway.

*Commits suppuku*

[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
[/spoiler]

jameswilliamogle

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2010, 12:17:00 PM »
Can you use transdimensional power with dimension swap to trade places with an ethereal creature?

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2010, 04:49:13 PM »
Can you use transdimensional power with dimension swap to trade places with an ethereal creature?
It looks like it, actually.

[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
[/spoiler]

jameswilliamogle

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2010, 06:05:45 PM »
hrm.  That power is pretty decent. 

Saeomon

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • A real rules lawyer
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2010, 06:13:00 PM »
Consider taking either Hidden Talent or Expanded Knowledge to unlock this power, and pick another, more useful discipline instead:

[spoiler]Dimensional Pocket
Psychoportation
Level: Psychic rogue 1
Display: Mental
Manifesting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Target: One unattended object, weighing up to 1 lb./level
Duration: 1 hour/4 level (D)
Saving Throw: None
Power Resistance: No
Power Points: 1

Your touch transfers an unattended object to an extradimensional pocket hidden in the palm of your hand. The dimensional pocket is invisible and weightless, regardless of its contents. When the power ends or is dismissed, the object returns to your hand, or next to your hand if you cannot hold it.

Augment: You can augment this power in one or both of the following ways.

1. For every 2 additional power points you spend, you can store an additional pound per level (but still only one object).

2. If you spend 4 additional power points, the duration increases to one day, regardless of your manifester level.[/spoiler]

Like Personal Space, it's Mind's Eye content. It's both better and worse than Personal Space in many ways.

I need to add a section on Useful Powers from Other Classes' Lists to the guide.

Update: carnivore developed a build called the False Nomad. It gets many Nomad powers without being a Nomad, and carnivore just added it to Page 2 of the guide.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 06:45:03 PM by Saeomon »

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2010, 07:33:57 PM »
It's not much consolation, really, but thanks for trying anyway.

*Commits suppuku*

Here. *Hands Lycan the knife*.

Here are, in my opinion, the best Nomad Powers:

Dimension Swap
Psionic Teleport (only if you don't have another caster in the party)
Teleport Trigger (Far less useful than its name implies)
Time Regression

Dimension Swap can be replaced with a magic item, as can Time Regression but that is incredibly expensive. Really, if you go Nomad, you are pretty much only getting Psionic Teleport and Teleport Trigger, the latter of which isn't that effective.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

jameswilliamogle

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2010, 07:47:15 PM »
I also like Evade Attack (augmented), but its hardly a good thing to base a build around.

What about a Synchronicity-linked-Time Regression?  Relive the round in which you manifested it without spending XP?  That seems hilarious, somehow...  Maybe Time Hop (self) -linked-TR would be funnier...  Pushing yourself both forward and backward in the timestream simultaneously...

I'm sure that's been abused before.  What kind of crap can you do with that?
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 07:52:51 PM by jameswilliamogle »

Sobolev

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2010, 11:10:18 PM »
I am actually still sort of working on this, so I figured I'd just resurrect this rather than make a new thread.  Current ideas are something like

Synad Nomad 5*/Squire of Legend (Reikhardt) 3**/XYZ 12

*Personal Space and Temporal Grace ACFs
**Adapted to give Psionic progression rather than casting progression.

Feats:
Improved Synad Multitask
Expanded Knowledge [Astral Construct]

I'm going to go scope out the False Nomad build
Sha'ir Handbook
Binder Handbook

Quote from: Negative Zero on November 04, 2009, 02:16:14 AM
In my humble opinion, CO is haberdashery. Some say we're mad, but we can all agree we're hatters. Yes, we have potential to make very sophisticated hats, very fancy hats, be they dark or light. But the truth is that the color of the hat does not come from the group of us - our community doesn't directly produce hats. We simply give average head circumferences, list current fashion trends, and point out some shiny, obscure baubles to add to the latest hat line.

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2010, 04:12:37 PM »
Nomad strikes me as a kit-like concept carried over from 2e.
Except for the fact that it's weaker than the others, and yet strong enough anyway.

... What about a Synchronicity-linked-Time Regression?  Relive the round in which you manifested it without spending XP?  That seems hilarious, somehow...  Maybe Time Hop (self) -linked-TR would be funnier...  Pushing yourself both forward and backward in the timestream simultaneously...

I'm sure that's been abused before.  What kind of crap can you do with that?

One of the Abominations in the 4e Monster Manual,
does exactly this ... just to eliminate one ongoing effect.

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2010, 04:57:31 PM »
You won't be able to hit the time regression until you're out of the time hop, since you technically don't exist for the duration.

[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
[/spoiler]

CantripN

• Hong Kong
  • Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2010, 05:02:13 PM »
You won't be able to hit the time regression until you're out of the time hop, since you technically don't exist for the duration.

If I get it right, you can jump through time very strange, indeed. You can jump 2 rounds into the future, and then go back a round, acting again in the 2nd round? Or is time not objective for you? It's confusing.
Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to be always part of unanimity.

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2010, 05:04:08 PM »
Depends on how the DM rules it. If it's subjective, you go back to before the time hop. If it's purely objective, you go back during it, but you are once again under time hop's effects, so you've just wasted the manifestation.

[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
[/spoiler]

CantripN

• Hong Kong
  • Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2010, 05:20:46 PM »
Depends on how the DM rules it. If it's subjective, you go back to before the time hop. If it's purely objective, you go back during it, but you are once again under time hop's effects, so you've just wasted the manifestation.

So if it's subjective, you just peeked at a point in the future, and went back to tell everyone about it. Does that change causality? We can just assume the you that came back and told you things is from a parallel time-stream, but then we're still stuck as to what happens to the "real" you next.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 05:23:15 PM by CantripN »
Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to be always part of unanimity.

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2010, 05:36:50 PM »

So if it's subjective, you just peeked at a point in the future, and went back to tell everyone about it. Does that change causality? We can just assume the you that came back and told you things is from a parallel time-stream, but then we're still stuck as to what happens to the "real" you next.
You peeked at a very real future that you can change. It's not so much subjective in the sense of parallel universes as it is in the sense of 'from the point of view of the target'.

You ARE the 'real' you. You just went and peeked into the future, which gives you information that's both better and worse than divination. You were there, but only for a moment, which means you have all of the information that can be gathered within 6 seconds, but ONLY that information. And you don't have any info on what happened in the interim except for what you can discern and what (if anything) has been told to you.

In any case, this is the basis for using mass time hop to turn your psicrystal into a Save Game Crystal, much like in Final Fantasy.

[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
[/spoiler]